Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

I have sold a lot of my sailor moon dvds, but I still have my S and Super S dvds if someone wants to make me a (reasonable) offer.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Can't think of any, whatcha got? I am looking for a couple of series.[/QUOTE]

A full list can be seen at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110758831204&ssPageName=ADME:L:EOISFP:US:1123

Someone offered me $2,850 for it, but I have a hard time getting only $4 a disc when some of the harder to find series are going for a lot more (Paradise Kiss is $125 by itself). I decided to close the listing and this weekend im going to work on taking pictures of everything and getting it all listed.

So I recently became interested in checking out Higurashi : When they cry , but not sure where to start as far as the anime , manga or pc games. I've heard some say that the differences are minimal enough that you could pick any of the 3 first and if you liked it enough then to check out the others after , but I've heard others say that playing the games first is best , since then the manga and anime allow you to see the story with the slightly different nuances to them. Any recommendations one way or the other?

Been watching Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings on Netflix, and English Voice Acting aside, I find the show very entertaining. I really love the opening, and design of the characters. I'd like to check the PS3 game out sometime.

Not sure if I ever mentioned it here but I watched Clannad and Clannad After Story last month or so. I absolutely loved that series. Going to go ahead and watch all the well recieved KyoAni studio animes (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is already out of the way. I watched that not too long after season 1 was finished.)
On a side note I love that people make their own Dango Family plushies that you can buy online. I think I might do that at some point. Things are adorable.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I started to watch Rosario + Vampire on netflix and couldn't make it past episode 5. Pretty crappy show.[/QUOTE]
My roommate watched the entire show. I couldn't be in the same room. And Netflix offers many good options and yet he goes for this. On a side note I no longer live with him. Good guy but I won't miss his watching habits.

[quote name='Indignate']Are you telling me that JYB doesn't deliver?[/QUOTE]

He never delivers. I wish Netflix had an option to switch between English and Japanese VAs. For some reason, starting with "season" 3 of Naruto, it's all in Japanese. Odd.

Finished another round of anime:

Angel Beats is amazing! I loved every episode from start to finish. The story, characters, English dub, art, and soundtrack are all perfect. The only fault I can find with the series is that I don't think it has much replay value.

First season of Shakugan no Shana was good. It felt a lot like Kaze no Stigma but with better characters. Looking forward to Funimation dubbing the second and third seasons.

Finally watched all of Rurouni Kenshin TV series. For whatever reason, the previous times I watched the series I always stopped about 15 episodes short of the ending :p

Disgaea was just as I expected, mindless but mildly enjoyable.

Second season of Heaven's Lost Property was no better than the first. Only worth a rent or stream, and only if you have absolutely nothing else to watch.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I started to watch Rosario + Vampire on netflix and couldn't make it past episode 5. Pretty crappy show.[/QUOTE]
I watched both seasons, and they were utter crap. The manga is much better and worth a look if you liked the basic premise and characters of the anime.

Long time no see all, don't know if you remember me. Haven't watched anime in awhile, didn't play games for a little while too. But now that it's summer I've been thinking about starting up again, I'll have to see if there's anything good on crunchyroll or anything that came out recently.

Anyway.....since I'm in LA for the summer, I'm thinking of going to AX2012 next week. Figured this would be the place to go for that, so is it supposed to be good this year? I think I'm kind of out of date with anime, but I've still seen a decent amount of shows (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/The_Punisher) and I'm sure it'll be fun.

So tl;dr:
-Anything new and good out I should watch? I have crunchyroll still
-Anyone going to AX12? / Worth going to this year?

I know you guys missed me :)

A friend messaged me out of the blue earlier today asking "Do you have Legend of the legendary heroes". Turns out she bought it, and as it comes with both DVD and Blu ray, she had blu ray discs to do nothing with, for the first half of the series. So, in return I'm buying the second half of the series and sending her the dvd half. So, I'm gonna end up getting the complete series after spending about $28 on my part.

[quote name='StarKnightX']So I recently became interested in checking out Higurashi : When they cry , but not sure where to start as far as the anime , manga or pc games. I've heard some say that the differences are minimal enough that you could pick any of the 3 first and if you liked it enough then to check out the others after , but I've heard others say that playing the games first is best , since then the manga and anime allow you to see the story with the slightly different nuances to them. Any recommendations one way or the other?[/QUOTE]

I would recommend watching the anime first, since I feel like it's the best representation of the work. I own the visual novel and some of the manga, but I haven't really got that far into them; that being said, I still think the anime provides the best experience, given the art, animation, and music.

[quote name='the_punisher']Long time no see all, don't know if you remember me. Haven't watched anime in awhile, didn't play games for a little while too. But now that it's summer I've been thinking about starting up again, I'll have to see if there's anything good on crunchyroll or anything that came out recently.

Anyway.....since I'm in LA for the summer, I'm thinking of going to AX2012 next week. Figured this would be the place to go for that, so is it supposed to be good this year? I think I'm kind of out of date with anime, but I've still seen a decent amount of shows (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/The_Punisher) and I'm sure it'll be fun.

So tl;dr:
-Anything new and good out I should watch? I have crunchyroll still
-Anyone going to AX12? / Worth going to this year?

I know you guys missed me :)[/QUOTE]

Shows you (may) have missed that are really good that are also on Crunchyroll:

• Chihayafuru
  • Space Brothers
  • You and Me (also known as Kimi to Boku)
  • Kuroko's Basketball
  • Tsuritama
  • Kids on the Slope
  • Fate/Zero
  • Another
  • Ano Natsu de Matteru (also known as Waiting in the Summer)
  • Usagi Drop
  • My Ordinary Life (also known as Nichijou)
  • Level E
I would also recommend Steins;Gate, but Crunchyroll took it down because their streaming license expired and transferred to Funimation.

You can start with that list, since you don't have to spend any money. Just go through it and see if anything catches your eye. However, every show I listed there is a fantastic show, so know you're choosing from the best.

As for Anime Expo, I will be there for all four days.

Thanks Razzuel

[quote name='coolsteel']Crap can't believe I forgot the Berserk movie came out[/QUOTE]

Are those coming to NA?

AX12 was fun, just went for one day and walked around the floor most of the time. Also got to check out a panel with Bang Zoom, and Funimation's industry panel, both cool but no huge surprises.

Also placed my first order in quite awhile (12/10), House of Five Leaves and Panty & Stocking (which actually comes out next week). Neon Alley looks very promosing, hopefully DVD's will be gone soon enough. They're still a fucking ripoff haha

I usually go for manga but lately I got into an anime mood.

Watched (and finished) from May until now the following:

Durarara!!
Bacanno!
Higurashi and Higurashi: Kai
Umineko
Tiger & Bunny
No.6
Wolf & Spice
Hellsing

Then I checked out the manga of the series that were available but most were not complete (with the exception of Hellsing which was too damn awesome.)

I actually loved all of them which doesn't happen often.

Now I'm taking a break for gaming.
But still got several series on my next to watch list:

Elfen Lied
Steins;Gate
Katanagatari
Ao No Exorcist

(Yes I have a horrible case of backlog for games, anime and manga...)

[quote name='StarKnightX']So I recently became interested in checking out Higurashi : When they cry , but not sure where to start as far as the anime , manga or pc games. I've heard some say that the differences are minimal enough that you could pick any of the 3 first and if you liked it enough then to check out the others after , but I've heard others say that playing the games first is best , since then the manga and anime allow you to see the story with the slightly different nuances to them. Any recommendations one way or the other?[/QUOTE]

Watch the anime. Then watch the second season/Kai. Then play the visual novel if you can. The art isn't great but it grows on you. I don't think you need the manga since the anime actually explains things pretty well, but if you want to read it go ahead.

And I suggest Umineko after you finish it. And the visual novel if you can.

Watched the first episode of Tokyo Majin the other day,maybe it was just me but thats a horrible introduction to a series.Made me think maybe perhaps I started on some future episode thinking it was the first.

Finished watching Madoka and really enjoyed it. I especially liked the art style used for witches.

Finished watching Berserk. That ending was... wow. From the first episode you know this story doesn't have a happy ending, but I didn't expect THAT, lol. I also didn't expect to enjoy a medieval anime, but was taken in by the story, characters, and adult style.

Started watching Kurau (somewhere Razzuel is doing a happy dance). I can finally stop mispronouncing her name like Kaworu from Evangelion :p Only two episodes in but I like what I've seen so far.

Kinda thinking about it.I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner with as big as a cash cow as it use to be and probably still is even if not as high.

[quote name='lilman']Started watching Kurau (somewhere Razzuel is doing a happy dance). I can finally stop mispronouncing her name like Kaworu from Evangelion :p Only two episodes in but I like what I've seen so far.[/QUOTE]

Oh shit, oh shit! fuck yes! I'm glad someone's watching it, and I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, even though you've only seen two episodes. I await your final opinion.

Also, I have not posted in here about what I've been watching for a while, haha. I don't think I can play catch-up either. Maybe just start doing it again? I don't know, haha.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']My Kurau is still in its shrinkwrap after 2 or 3 years. Does that make Raz sad?[/QUOTE]

You're a terrible person. XP

So...anyone getting FUNimation elite when it hits Roku/Samsung TVs later this month/early August? I've been waiting for a Roku or PS3 app and it's finally coming. Just got rid of cable (and upgraded to RoadRunner Turbo).

[quote name='SynGamer']So...anyone getting FUNimation elite when it hits Roku/Samsung TVs later this month/early August? I've been waiting for a Roku or PS3 app and it's finally coming. Just got rid of cable (and upgraded to RoadRunner Turbo).[/QUOTE]I would recommend checking out netflix if you don't have it already. They have a lot of funimation shows plus tons of other content that you wouldn't get with the funimation only streaming service.

I finished watching toward the terra and was surprised by how good it was. I highly recommend it to anyone, and those who enjoy sci-fi MUST watch it.

Being watching Serial Experiments Lain,really awesome show from what I watched so far.Really amazing how the show captured how big the internet would get,and how much influence it would have on society.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished another round of anime:

Kurau Phantom Memory was great! Realistic sci-fi story with a great cast of characters and a lot of emotion. The story is completed by the end of the series and shows what happens with all of the characters. One thing I still don't understand is:
Why was Ayaka so angry at Kurau for most of the series? It's like she was pinning her family's death on Rynax, Kurau in particular. There was even a scene where Ayaka is thinking about the past and Kurau is standing in her old house with a gun. It didn't seem like she should have any reason to suspect Rynax, especially since her family was shot to death rather than disappearing.

Squid Girl was... oh wow, it was actually really good. I wasn't expecting much of this series, thinking it would be another half baked gag comedy. I was so surprised by how funny it is. Each episode is broken up into three smaller stories revolving around the same small cast of characters. The vibe is relaxed yet always interesting. Hoping season 2 makes its way to the US.

Okami-san was a fun series with great style. It could use more story though, so hopefully they make another season.

[quote name='lilman']Finished another round of anime:

Kurau Phantom Memory was great! Realistic sci-fi story with a great cast of characters and a lot of emotion. The story is completed by the end of the series and shows what happens with all of the characters. One thing I still don't understand is:
Why was Ayaka so angry at Kurau for most of the series? It's like she was pinning her family's death on Rynax, Kurau in particular. There was even a scene where Ayaka is thinking about the past and Kurau is standing in her old house with a gun. It didn't seem like she should have any reason to suspect Rynax, especially since her family was shot to death rather than disappearing.

Squid Girl was... oh wow, it was actually really good. I wasn't expecting much of this series, thinking it would be another half baked gag comedy. I was so surprised by how funny it is. Each episode is broken up into three smaller stories revolving around the same small cast of characters. The vibe is relaxed yet always interesting. Hoping season 2 makes its way to the US.

Okami-san was a fun series with great style. It could use more story though, so hopefully they make another season.[/QUOTE]Do you recommend buying the okami-san physical release, or just watch it online somewhere? I've been thinking of picking it up.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Do you recommend buying the okami-san physical release, or just watch it online somewhere? I've been thinking of picking it up.[/QUOTE]
Imo not worth a buy. Definitely good for a stream or rent. It's fun but needs more story.

Kurau and Squid Girl are both worth a buy ^_^

[quote name='lilman']Imo not worth a buy. Definitely good for a stream or rent. It's fun but needs more story.

Kurau and Squid Girl are both worth a buy ^_^[/QUOTE]Thanks for letting me know. I already own kurau and I'm looking to get squid girl.

[quote name='62t']so the Persona 4 anime blu ray will be dub only.[/QUOTE]Sucks for those who wanted the blu and want bouth audio tracks. These Japanese companies need to calm down with this crap.

[quote name='lilman']Finished another round of anime:

[/QUOTE]

Woo hoo! I'm glad you liked it.

As for your question, I actually don't remember, haha. It's been over three years since I watched it, so I can't recall. I feel terrible not being able to answer your question. XP

I've been meaning to re-watch it, but I'm drowning in stuff I haven't seen yet, so it's hard to justify watching something I've already seen.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Sucks for those who wanted the blu and want bouth audio tracks. These Japanese companies need to calm down with this crap.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not surprising, since Sentai will be releasing part one in September, which is only a month after the final Blu-ray volume in Japan is released. This wouldn't be a problem if Sentai delayed the release at least six months or more, but they either couldn't delay it or they feel that it's more worth it to release the Persona 4 anime now in between Persona 4 Arena (August) and Persona 4 Golden (October).

It totally sucks, but that's reverse importation fears for you. Hopefully the eventual complete collection adds the Japanese language track back in.

So many great releases comming up, what are you guys getting by month. I am looking forward to hellsing ultimate on bluray the most with a certain magical index and dead man wonderland as well.

The only must buy for me is the Berserk movie coming in the Fall, hopefully. Everything else that I'm interested in seeing/owning, I can wait for complete collections and Blu-rays.

Already bought FMA:B+movie, Shiki, and Towa no Quon recently.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Found some out of print anime at the used bookstore yesterday. Got Marmalade Boy Ultimate Scrapbooks 1 and 2, and Bastard.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like your area still cares about anime if you can find those, kinda wish my area was like that.

Went to the only used bookstore in the area over the weekend and seems like they've gotten worse about prices(it looks like they're judging stuff from MSRP instead of demand). Most obvious ones I saw was the latest Fruits Basket collection for $50 used(it's $35-$40 new at most places) and almost all the individual vols. of Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny for $12 each. Although I did manage to snag the only legit copy of a Sailor Moon S DVD I've seen in years(Heart Collection VI) for a decent price($12).

I picked up volumes 1-4 of Gintama used the other day for $14 each after tax. It was part of a buy 3 get 1 free sale. Unfortunately, vol. 4 was marked significantly higher than the others ($32). It was still cheaper than it was last Christmas at Right Stuf, and significantly cheaper than buying them off Amz/eBay.

I also noticed that Crunchyroll has an app out for PS3. I may have to look into getting a premium account with them.

Crunchyroll still doesn't have HD video, so if that's important to you, you might want to hold off. I think it's coming in the next few months.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']I also noticed that Crunchyroll has an app out for PS3. I may have to look into getting a premium account with them.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Crunchyroll still doesn't have HD video, so if that's important to you, you might want to hold off. I think it's coming in the next few months.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, whoa, whoa. That is a misleading statement. The Crunchyroll PS3 app does not have HD. However, Crunchyroll's website does stream 1080p and 720p. If you're a normal person and don't want to watch Crunchyroll on your laptop or monitor, then to enjoy that HD goodness all you gotta do is hook up your PC to your TV, which is what I do.

Also, don't let Crunchyroll's PS3 app dictate whether you get a premium subscription; you should have one anyway, since it's extremely worth it. They always get a ton of the new shows each season and their back catalog is huge and continues to grow. It's an incredible deal for only $60 a year.

Just watched Rosario + Vampire. I really liked it, however, I thought the second season was far better than the first. Just started watching Birdy The Mighty: Decode, but just can't get into it. Not sure what anime to watch now. Wish Netflix would get some more titles.

Has anyone heard of Neon Alley? I read that they're going to have an app on the PS3 this fall and will be showing the final Inuyasha episodes and a bunch of other new anime shows.

bread's done
Back