Anti-Deal: Amazon Prime no longer applies to toys to life and CEs

So I have no reason to subscribe prime now?

I only ever subscribe to prime when I knew I was going to buy CE of any games during Christmas time along with other gifts.
If you were spending money on prime just for the gaming discounts then you were just throwing money away anyways
Yea, in that case if don't use prime that often, you could just use the monthly subscription for $10.99.

Weird, always found this as a nice bonus perk to already having Prime; have had it for a very long time and use a great deal of it's features.  It still operates how I like to use it, when I do.  Just wait for reviews and buy for 20% off if I feel like I want to play a title now.  Never liked GCU since it's tied to just one store and the Blockbuster near me tends to have crap for inventory always.  I'm surprised at the clamor for CEs, though.  Notoriously rip-off editions which cheap, chinsy breakable doo-dads and extra content you can get elsewhere.  Don't want that stuff filling up my house. *shrug*  I suppose sucks for those who cannot get them, but I always want the cheapest deal, and that's never the CE. 

But really, just wait 3~6 months.  The game will be 50% off and I'm sure someone will run a warehouse deal on unsold CEs for all but the most obscure JRPGs.  Hell, I cannot count the number of times I get the "Day 1 Edition" of a game for 60%+ off months later on titles. 

Seems like a small impact for folks who use all of Amazon Prime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah well, this'll have me spending more responsibly then. I used to only get CE that I really wanted and I started buying them way more with the discount.

I don't have a BBY near me within like 45+ minutes so GCU sucks for me. If they gave me 2 day shipping I'd switch but IIRC they don't.
Never understood this logic. Closest BB for me is over an hour and GCU is still the best membership I have...you get free shipping over $35 which is super easy to reach with CE's....

But really, just wait 3~6 months. The game will be 50% off and I'm sure someone will run a warehouse deal on unsold CEs for all but the most obscure JRPGs. Hell, I cannot count the number of times I get the "Day 1 Edition" of a game for 60%+ off months later on titles.
Seems like a small impact for folks who use all of Amazon Prime.
I don't understand the logic of "just wait until the price goes". If I'm waiting for a game that I've been wanting to play for months now, I'm not going to wait just because I'll spend a little less money. I would understand if it's for a game you don't really care about and will think about trying it later down the line, but if it's been something you've been anticipating and are able to get it, I don't see why you should delay it any further.

I don't understand the logic of "just wait until the price goes". If I'm waiting for a game that I've been wanting to play for months now, I'm not going to wait just because I'll spend a little less money. I would understand if it's for a game you don't really care about and will think about trying it later down the line, but if it's been something you've been anticipating and are able to get it, I don't see why you should delay it any further.
Time value of money, I 'suppose. It's frugality vs. the "gotta have its;" you can spend $60 over a ton of great games in 3 months or have one now. What that's worth to you is your call, but this is a site called CheapAssGamer. With how quick games lose their retail value, both physical and digital, added with smart shopping on new titles even, you shouldn't be paying full price. Pay to play clubs (XBL, PSN+, BB Gamers Club, etc.) are all eating into game funds that can get more games with patience. I only have Amazon Prime because I use a lot of the features beyond the game discount; I would have it without it a game discount.

There are a few games I have purchased at non-discount prices, but I believe in the past year, it's only been Playerunknown's Battlegrounds and Overwatch, games where having it with the rest of the MP community makes sense. Oh, and I got HZD day one for $31 and BotW for $40. Those were fair trades. Otherwise, it's almost always best to wait.

I like the idea of an Anti-Deals thread, however I really hope that we would never need such a thread on a consistent basis.  

Too many damaged items and returns. The people buying these items expect minty conditions on receipt- Amazon can't deliver that and returns are killing them. Blame the shipping companies- they damage the boxes and raise prices often. Amazon is passing it on.
Never have I had a damaged item show up in a damaged box. Every single time the box has been pristine and the item has been destroyed. On top of that the box is most of the time, much too large for the item with literally no packing filler. One time I had an entire amiibo order puzzled into a box that the person who packed the box purposefully damaged them to make them fit. Every time i've had damaged product its been Amazon that has been the damager or they shipped me damaged product they received.

Time value of money, I 'suppose. It's frugality vs. the "gotta have its;" you can spend $60 over a ton of great games in 3 months or have one now. What that's worth to you is your call, but this is a site called CheapAssGamer. With how quick games lose their retail value, both physical and digital, added with smart shopping on new titles even, you shouldn't be paying full price. Pay to play clubs (XBL, PSN+, BB Gamers Club, etc.) are all eating into game funds that can get more games with patience. I only have Amazon Prime because I use a lot of the features beyond the game discount; I would have it without it a game discount.

There are a few games I have purchased at non-discount prices, but I believe in the past year, it's only been Playerunknown's Battlegrounds and Overwatch, games where having it with the rest of the MP community makes sense. Oh, and I got HZD day one for $31 and BotW for $40. Those were fair trades. Otherwise, it's almost always best to wait.
Remember we are talking about CE's here. You can't wait on most Nintendo CE's, or some other obscure titles. Can't wait on popular amiibo either, which this change also affects.

Sure it doesn't change things for most games, but it is a universal negative. Especially for someone like me with a few specific pre-orders on Amazon.

But really, just wait 3~6 months. The game will be 50% off and I'm sure someone will run a warehouse deal on unsold CEs for all but the most obscure JRPGs.
I used to do this but now it seems it is becoming difficult to determine which ones to wait out.

I waited on Horizon CE partly due to financial troubles at release and now all hope is lost.

I used to do this but now it seems it is becoming difficult to determine which ones to wait out.

I waited on Horizon CE partly due to financial troubles at release and now all hope is lost.
Same here. I thought it would be still available at Newegg at the very least since I had bought the Overwatch PS4 CE there for $65 late last year. I was pretty sure I could catch HZD at a deep discount but I missed out.

Never have I had a damaged item show up in a damaged box. Every single time the box has been pristine and the item has been destroyed. On top of that the box is most of the time, much too large for the item with literally no packing filler. One time I had an entire amiibo order puzzled into a box that the person who packed the box purposefully damaged them to make them fit. Every time i've had damaged product its been Amazon that has been the damager or they shipped me damaged product they received.
Last two things I returned were Zelda CE BOTW hard cover guides- first one the corner of the box was crushed and the edge of the book along with it- the second one was crushed along the length of the box and the top pages were pushed in.

Third one was good.

They definitely purposefully folded my amiibo and overcrowded those boxes.

FWIW- my postal service is notoriously bad and the Amazon distribution center is so close I can often get things on my porch on the same day somehow. Probably why my experience is different.

Prime was a great deal at $39/year during school.

They raised it to $99 unannounced (Well, on places like CNET or Gizmodo sure, but not like "ALERT YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE AUTO RENEWED AT MORE THAN DOUBLE THE PRICE" in an email or text) and absolutely f****d me over just before tax return season, when broke, putting my checking account in the negative.

Then they slowly started removing songs from Prime, to have an excuse to sell them separately like Spotify, and like Netflix and Hulu doing fewer and fewer real (AAA, Hollywood, not documentaries about typefaces and crap) movies, or even (non reality) TV shows to make way for "original series" Emmy-bait drama crap.

And despite what I and most would think, this limitless online mega store where you could seemingly buy anything and cheaper cause no storefront leases or clerks to pay, I almost never buy anything from Amazon. Like maybe a budget Litening Cable or iPhone screen protector. As fast as their shipping is, it doesn't give you the instant satisfaction, you can't pay cash (which leads to fears that refunds either won't post soon enough or will be lost/forgotten) and yeah the fact that there are no refunds less you pay to ship back to them sucks, even if they reimburse , and that refund policies most likely go by actual days from order not business days. So unless it's a product that your refund will depend on instantly knowing "does it work or not" you don't get enough time with items before rushing to ship back for refund limits. Come to think of it I don't even know their RF policy, maybe it's super great and lenient, they sure don't advertise it though. Regardless waiting 5-7 business days for a deposit to show back on your account can be hell if it's a significant purchase, no big deal on $10 phone cases which is ultimately therefor all I buy from them.

Sometimes feels like Prime is like a gym membership that people subscribe to and never use for the personal gratification of being able to say you have one.

This isn't overly surprising to me. Think about how much Amazon has been dropping the ball on games lately. The NES Classic fiasco where it was in stock for literally half a second. Remember when they used to give credit for game preorders? That was a long time ago but I still like to complain about it.  They've been the last to put amiibo up for order. The Fire Emblem 2-pack the didn't even do preorders at all. They *still* haven't put up orders for any of the next wave of amiibo, so we can assume they're probably going to do the same thing.  They still haven't put up pre-orders for the Collector's Edition of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.  I got a cancellation notice for my Zelda BotW CE, even though I only ordered one and they didn't actually cancel it, so I don't know what the fuck was going on there. And speaking of that, Best Buy and Walmart had their Switch and Zelda preorders up right away, but it took Amazon until the middle of the night to get their shit together.  It's been a few years since they had anything with a fuck for Black Friday. That whole week (and sometimes the week before) used to be great, now it's nothing.

It almost seems like Amazon goes in cycles of giving a fuck about games and not giving a fuck. And now they're heading into a not giving a fuck phase.

i feel like this newly announced amazon cash at gamestop partnetship explains it, gamestop probably asked them to drop the discount as part of the agreement.

i'm still going to keep amazon prime since i use it for everything from car parts to dishwasher detergent. gcu has always been a better deal anyways this changes nothing.

i have never once gotten a preordered game past release day shipped from best buy and on four separate memorable occasions the games arrived a day early that's never happened with amazon.

Best Buy GCU is way better anyway. Amazon has half assed it and now its even worse. They suck ever since they dropped the $20 promo credits imo. I've ordered 3 new games from them in the last year and a half and one of those was a mistake (forgot it was on order).

Last two things I returned were Zelda CE BOTW hard cover guides- first one the corner of the box was crushed and the edge of the book along with it- the second one was crushed along the length of the box and the top pages were pushed in.

Third one was good.

They definitely purposefully folded my amiibo and overcrowded those boxes.

FWIW- my postal service is notoriously bad and the Amazon distribution center is so close I can often get things on my porch on the same day somehow. Probably why my experience is different.
Yeah i'm within a very small distance from a large warehouse as well. I just feel like certain warehouses just do not have any standards. my BOTW CE guide was in the box they got it in, in a larger box it rattled around in and their "same-day delivery service" they run didn't deliver it for 4 days. I had to get in contact with their "Social Media Support team" and they looked into it because regular CS wasnt helpful. then it just silently was delivered, was never contacted by carrier like I was told I was going to be, and then they said it was lost. my Zelda Arts and Artifacts was in a very similar situation. Of all major retailers, Amazon has always packaged things the worst for me.

They always ship CEs in bubble mailers anyways, if it fits. Always buy your CEs elsewhere.
Truth. I always had to order my CEs from Amazon in pairs because at least one would be smashed, guaranteed, so at least I don't have to worry about that anymore!

Looking forward to going into a Gamestop store for my MSRP CEs that BB doesn't have, and not feeling like I'm missing out for not trying the Amazon gamble machine.

I'm officially done EVER ordering from Amazon for games. Already was using GCU, 99% of the time. But I have Prime and preordered Wipeout Omega collection which comes out Tuesday because I had some Amazon credit. Now, my order was just updated to say "arriving Thursday ". WTF? Thought there was release day shipping?!?

Amazon can go suck balls.

I use Prime about 3 times a year so i pay for about 3 months (june, november, and sometimes july/december). I'm fine with it and a lot of my impulse buying has stopped. It's too expensive for my taste now, and I am still not a crazy huge fan of prime video stuff, though the prime music is alright.

This is all very confusing - has this actually been confirmed? Both the FAQs and Terms and Conditions from the Prime Savings page do not reflect collector's editions being exempt.

If the CE exemption is real, it is being applied inconsistently. For example, Elex: Collector's Edition includes the Prime Savings discount.

I received today Tekken 7 Collector's edition for which they did not deduct Prime Savings. I called customer service and they applied the discount immediately.
Huh interesting. I wonder if Amazon changed their minds...

Sadly I don't think Amazon backtracked. 

I just noticed that the Terms and Conditions have been updated as of 8th June 2017 to specifically mention that CEs are excluded:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/vg/varia/VariaUSTermsandConditions060817.html

You can get there using this link:
https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Savings-in-Video-Games/

Culdcept LE seems to be the exception to the rule since other items that used to have them (e.g. Elex CE and the Tekken 7 CE when it came back in stock) no longer have the discount.

Edit: Just noticed that the FAQ hasn't been updated so there might still be some wiggle room when talking to Customer Service?

Sadly I don't think Amazon backtracked.

I just noticed that the Terms and Conditions have been updated as of 8th June 2017 to specifically mention that CEs are excluded:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/vg/varia/VariaUSTermsandConditions060817.html

You can get there using this link:
https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Savings-in-Video-Games/

Culdcept LE seems to be the exception to the rule since other items that used to have them (e.g. Elex CE and the Tekken 7 CE when it came back in stock) no longer have the discount.

Edit: Just noticed that the FAQ hasn't been updated so there might still be some wiggle room when talking to Customer Service?
For what its worth I preordered the Elex CE on June 7th and it came with the 20% off discount. Sounds like I made it in just before they removed the discount for it. Really looking forward to Best Buy putting it up so I can cancel this Amazon order.

bread's done
Back