Any alabama CAGs?

[quote name='NekoTsukimi']Wow, some activity. Been a long time :D[/quote]You're not missing much. There is never much conversatition going on around here.

[quote name='Skylander7']Is it just me, or does it seem like there are more CAG's in Montgomery than Bham?[/quote]

Seems like it... Even though it's mostly crickets...

Since I was listening to the 1up podcast in retrospect, did anyone find any good Black Friday deals or just see some weird shit on that day?

Does anyone in the B'ham area know where the Game X Change stores are now? There used to be one on 31, but the last time I dropped by, their lease had run out and they were moving to a new location.

There's supposedly also one out in Trussville, but I couldn't find it when I went out there either.

^^I think it's one in Hueytown

right across from a Sonic and Pizza hut...you'll see a big Chinese Buffet, but it's next to that I think

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Does anyone in the B'ham area know where the Game X Change stores are now? There used to be one on 31, but the last time I dropped by, their lease had run out and they were moving to a new location.

There's supposedly also one out in Trussville, but I couldn't find it when I went out there either.[/QUOTE]

I used to make a few trips to those stores a long time ago. I know one was on Lakeshore (about a mile and a half away from the old Regions Deposit Ops building, next to Regal Cinemas), and the other was in Centerpoint. Haven't seen them in years though. They carried a shitload of old games; that's where I picked up most of my old Saturn titles. They also had some damned good prices on old rare games.

If you find out, post it. Next time I'm in Bham, I'd probably stop by.

Yeah, I've gotten some amazing deals there. FFT black label, mint, $10. Xenogears black label, mint, $15. Not to mention they usually have a pretty good selection of last and last-last gen games.

Unfortunately, the one on Lakeshore shut down years ago, and once the one on Montgomery Hwy. "moved" as well, I haven't been able to find them. I tried calling the Trussville location, but the phone number was disconnected, so I believe it's defunct as well.

The only "local" game shop that I know of right now is Zone 1 out in Chelsea on 280. They do have some older games, but their selection is no where near what Game XChange's was.

Edit: Upon some further research it looks like Replay might still be in business as well. There's supposedly one each in Pelham, Fairfield and Bessemer. I think I may try and scout those out this week.

Edit #2: Found a list of Replay's locations: http://www.replaysonline.com/store/locations.php

So I tried checking out the Replay near Trussville. Out of business I guess? Pretty much a wasted trip.

Checked out the one in Hueytown, and it was kind of hard to find. I wasn't impressed though, it was no where near as nice as the Lakeshore store used to be. A lot of their prices were about the same as GameStop. You might get a better trade in rate, but it wouldn't be worth driving that far across town over. They did have quite a bit of SNES/NES titles but I didn't really look at those.

The only positive side to the trip was being able to stop by a few pawn shops, but unfortunately I didn't find anything either.

If you pass by the 280/Chelsea area I would recommend stopping by Zone-One Games as their (recent) selection is only slightly better than Replays was, but their prices can be pretty decent. They do usually offer a few more dollars than GameStop on tradeins, but I suppose it is only worth it if you buy something right away or you live nearby.

I know that this thing is suffering from being a comatose thread... but I saw Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 used at Movie Gallery in Millbrook for $29.99 for anyone interested. Probably disc only, but might be worth a shot if you're really jonesing for it. They also have a 1600 marketplace card for $39.99 (Movie Gallery pricing is pretty retarded IMHO)

Booyah! Not many people from B'ham from what I've seen (I'm one of the few I suppose). Mostly Tuscaloosa/Huntsville/Montgomery. If there are some people from Birmingham, they're just not very active. ;)

[quote name='Drizztd9']Oh yeah....Birmingham here![/QUOTE]

Damn.. looks like the Birmingham CAG population is growing. Hoover CC was always a last resort go-to place for those tough to find clearances ;)

So... who keeps wiping out the Prattville Target? Jesus tapdancing christ, someone keeps buying up the clearance games in bulk. They had about 10 Orange Box PS3 and 6 Lair PS3, but they all disappeared pretty quickly on the same day. I keep hearing stories of some hoarding, but damn... hide a brotha a Crackdown behind the wine rack or something!

I've been way too busy lately to get out, so I haven't noticed anything overly interesting locally. The Prattville Moviestop seems to still be carrying new HD-DVD's for some reason, but no price drops.

I wondered the same thing about Target's stuff. I went there one night and picked up Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Folklore. There were about 9 copies left of each. Came back the next night, all wiped out. Crazy stuff...

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing... I went by the p'ville target one day during lunch and they had a ton of Orange Boxes and a few Lairs.... went back after work that day and got the last one of each!?! At least they left me one. I wish they would have still had another Ninja Gaiden.

[quote name='Skylander7']Damn.. looks like the Birmingham CAG population is growing. Hoover CC was always a last resort go-to place for those tough to find clearances ;)

So... who keeps wiping out the Prattville Target? Jesus tapdancing christ, someone keeps buying up the clearance games in bulk. They had about 10 Orange Box PS3 and 6 Lair PS3, but they all disappeared pretty quickly on the same day. I keep hearing stories of some hoarding, but damn... hide a brotha a Crackdown behind the wine rack or something!

I've been way too busy lately to get out, so I haven't noticed anything overly interesting locally. The Prattville Moviestop seems to still be carrying new HD-DVD's for some reason, but no price drops.[/QUOTE]

I've picked up some good deals at the CC across the Galleria. Elite Beat Agents for $10?

[quote name='BlueLobstah'] If there are some people from Birmingham, they're just not very active. ;)[/QUOTE]

I for one moved back to this area. Although a bit dormant though on the site.

[quote name='cmndrhavok']I for one moved back to this area. Although a bit dormant though on the site.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Birmingham just isn't a very happening city.

Ugh. I hate that there's only one TRU in Birmingham now.

I tried looking to see if they had any decent Wii/DS games on clearance, but the only thing I saw was Geometry Wars for DS @ $9.98. No Zack & Wiki, Jam Sessions, or Resident Evil 4. I didn't look to see if there was anything good left for 360 or PS3, but that TRU never seems to have anything anyway.

Noticed this GC + Games on Craiglist in B'ham: http://bham.craigslist.org/ele/763545194.html. Just passing it along since I'm not really interested.

Nintendo Game Cube with power cord, controller, and 25 games. Includes the following games:

Mega Man Network Transmission,
Disney Pixar Cars,
Disney Pixar The Incredibles,
Scooby Doo Mystery Mayhem,
Shrek 2,
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron Jet Fusion,
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,
Nicktoon Unite,
Teen Titans,
Tak 2 the Staff of Dreams,
Zapper,
Disney's Magical Mirror Starring Mickey Mouse,
Sonic Heros,
Spyro Enter the Dragon,
Open Season,
Disney's Chicken Little,
Nickelodeon Party Blast,
Spongebob Squarepants Revenge of the Flying Dutchman,
Tak The Great Juju Challenge,
Disney Football,
Yu-Gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom,
Tak and the Power of the Juju,
Shark Tale,
Spongebob Squarepants Lights, Camera, Pants!, and
Robots.

All in good working condition. Please call 205-365-7425.

Really not a bad deal if you want to flip the games.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Ugh. I hate that there's only one TRU in Birmingham now.[/QUOTE]

Ditto to that. Make sure you also check the game cabinet behind the counter, sometimes they have games in there that aren't out on the floor. I found a couple of games there.

[quote name='cmndrhavok']Ditto to that. Make sure you also check the game cabinet behind the counter, sometimes they have games in there that aren't out on the floor. I found a couple of games there.[/QUOTE]

I did last time I went, in addition to the games outside of their "video games" section, but their stock was still kind of meh. I've always had better luck at TRU when I'm in Atlanta. I don't know what it is about this store, it's in a decent location but it's really ghetto.

[quote name='cmndrhavok']Ditto to that. Make sure you also check the game cabinet behind the counter, sometimes they have games in there that aren't out on the floor. I found a couple of games there.[/quote]

I miss the Eastwood TRU. :(

Though the Galleria TRU has made some pretty drastic improvements in their R-Zone over the past year or so, it was pretty dismal for a while (messy, poor selection, etc) - while I never had problems finding stuff at the old Eastwood location.

Plus, as you guys have alluded to, having one more TRU would mean one more possible place to find their clearance titles.

On a semi-related note, I'm kinda surprised that their old building still sits vacant. Granted, the Eastwood area isn't much better off than it was when TRU left (just look at the state of Century Plaza), but still - with as much retail activity that has blown up literally right across the street this year, it seems like someone might have snatched up a lease on that pretty great spot by now.

Are there any stores left in Century Plaza? Last time I went there half the anchor stores were closed.

Any place I should stop at in Montgomery? I'll be coming back through that way next week.

Yeah, there are (surprisingly) still stores left in the building. The vast majority of the the mall is vacant. Out of all of the possible store locations, I'd say only around 1/3 of them are being used, and out of those, the vast majority (like literally 4 out of 5 stores) are either shoe stores or urban-wear stores.

FYE left within a matter of months after they opened there, Radio Shack is still there, and the India Shoppe is still there. The major shoe/athleticwear retailers (Champs, Foot Locker, Footaction, Finish Line) are still there. It's a really sad building to walk around in.

I'm not sure why Sears stays. I'm not complaining, I shop there every now and then, but it's always pretty much totally void of customers and it's still the only anchor store left at the mall.

[quote name='scuba t']Albertville?[/quote]

That'd be correct.

I used to live there a couple of years ago.

Back in Montgomery for the now. *shifty eyes* and I am beginning to see exactly why I was unable to snag any $14.99 Xbox 360 point cards too. Wasn't aware so many Montgomerians and Prattvillians(don't deny it, I see you all twirling your moustaches!) were CAGers. Lucky fer me I got a raincheck at the Target good for up to 5 cards before 9/29.

Now, with any luck ill be able to get Orange Box and Bioshock before those get bought out at TRU. >_

Birmingham-ish here. Shelby County. Less crime, more idiocy.. and double wides, but those came free with the idiocy.

[quote name='Yartac']Birmingham-ish here. Shelby County. Less crime, more idiocy.. and double wides, but those came free with the idiocy.[/QUOTE]

What part of Shelby County? I used to live in Chelsea, although my parents are still out there.

[quote name='Yartac']Birmingham-ish here. Shelby County. Less crime, more idiocy.. and double wides, but those came free with the idiocy.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing Alabaster, possibly Calera? If Calera..wow man, I feel sorry for you. Still better than Montgomery though.

So how many Huntsville CAG's are there? I'm relocating after getting a systems engineer job up there with one of the defense contractors. Alot better pay than IT around here... plus, the labor market is flat. I did some scoping at the Super Target, Lame R Us, and Circuit Sheisty... totally freaking raped. Alot of lurkers or posters up there???

I snagged an apartment in Madison, a brand new complex called Ashbury Woods.. so please let me know if you have any insight on anything.

[quote name='Skylander7']I'm guessing Alabaster, possibly Calera? If Calera..wow man, I feel sorry for you. Still better than Montgomery though.

So how many Huntsville CAG's are there? I'm relocating after getting a systems engineer job up there with one of the defense contractors. Alot better pay than IT around here... plus, the labor market is flat. I did some scoping at the Super Target, Lame R Us, and Circuit Sheisty... totally freaking raped. Alot of lurkers or posters up there???

I snagged an apartment in Madison, a brand new complex called Ashbury Woods.. so please let me know if you have any insight on anything.[/QUOTE]

There's a lot of place better than Montgomery.

Huntsville is a nice place, and I have a lot of friends up there. I thought about moving up there since there are a ton of IT jobs up there, but also have a lot of family down here. Good luck with moving to Huntsville!

[quote name='Skylander7']I'm guessing Alabaster, possibly Calera? If Calera..wow man, I feel sorry for you. Still better than Montgomery though.

I snagged an apartment in Madison, a brand new complex called Ashbury Woods.. so please let me know if you have any insight on anything.[/QUOTE]

Where is that in Madison? I used to live right across the street from Bob Jones on Hughes. Madison is a good place to be, IMO. There's not a lot of stuff to do, but it's one of the better places to live in Alabama.

[quote name='munch']Where is that in Madison? I used to live right across the street from Bob Jones on Hughes. Madison is a good place to be, IMO. There's not a lot of stuff to do, but it's one of the better places to live in Alabama.[/QUOTE]

It's actually down on Zeirdt Rd, past Sunlake Apartments. I picked it because a) it's new, b) it's secluded, and c) it's literally like 4 miles from Research Park and by Redstone Arsenal. I had considered Sunlake Apartments and Colonial Grand as they're waterfront on a lake (maybe go fishing when bored), but I've seen alot of bad reviews on both. Plus Colonial is like $880 for a 2 bedroom.. I find that a little outrageous, because they aren't exactly "luxury" apartments in my opinion. The Colonial owned complexes in Montgomery are ran like ass.. it seems to be a trend.

It's a systems engineer job with one of the contractors, but I'll be traveling occasionally to California and even Iraq. I kind of want to be close to everything, but out of the way of it all at the same time. Of course.. I need to figure out the CAG points of interest in the area :)

[quote name='Skylander7']It's actually down on Zeirdt Rd, past Sunlake Apartments. I picked it because a) it's new, b) it's secluded, and c) it's literally like 4 miles from Research Park and by Redstone Arsenal. I had considered Sunlake Apartments and Colonial Grand as they're waterfront on a lake (maybe go fishing when bored), but I've seen alot of bad reviews on both. Plus Colonial is like $880 for a 2 bedroom.. I find that a little outrageous, because they aren't exactly "luxury" apartments in my opinion. The Colonial owned complexes in Montgomery are ran like ass.. it seems to be a trend.

It's a systems engineer job with one of the contractors, but I'll be traveling occasionally to California and even Iraq. I kind of want to be close to everything, but out of the way of it all at the same time. Of course.. I need to figure out the CAG points of interest in the area :)[/QUOTE]

I swear, Colonial owns half of Alabama. My employer's office building is owned by Colonial, not to mention a majority of the apartment complexes are Colonial ________.

I'll ask some of my Huntsville friends tonight to see if they know of any good places to live around there.

[quote name='Skylander7']It's actually down on Zeirdt Rd, past Sunlake Apartments. I picked it because a) it's new, b) it's secluded, and c) it's literally like 4 miles from Research Park and by Redstone Arsenal. I had considered Sunlake Apartments and Colonial Grand as they're waterfront on a lake (maybe go fishing when bored), but I've seen alot of bad reviews on both. Plus Colonial is like $880 for a 2 bedroom.. I find that a little outrageous, because they aren't exactly "luxury" apartments in my opinion. The Colonial owned complexes in Montgomery are ran like ass.. it seems to be a trend.

It's a systems engineer job with one of the contractors, but I'll be traveling occasionally to California and even Iraq. I kind of want to be close to everything, but out of the way of it all at the same time. Of course.. I need to figure out the CAG points of interest in the area :)[/QUOTE]

Whatever you do, don't go to the Station on Madison Blvd. I literally went there 4 times a week one summer. They do have a nice karaoke set up if you get plastered and want to sing Clarence Carter, which I did repeatedly.

bread's done
Back