Anybody still playing PS2? What games are you playing?

Ya i am still playing PS2 because i just love it as it has numerous gaming options weather it is sports, mission , racing and many more to follow...
as i have a hard disk installed to my PS it gives me lot of games easily .. which gets me rid of CD s problem... now a days i am playing sega tennis with my friends..
It's a great deal -you should go for it.

just bought and am currently playing mega man anniversary collection!
mega man 1 is so hard!

i grew up during the mega man X series!

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Finally got my hands on all three Fatal Frame games through the deal on the front page, so I'll be using my PS2 quite a bit in the near future.[/QUOTE]

I just bought them too :lol: hopefully they are worth it. I have about 80 PS2 games but I haven't played any for about a year until last week when a friend of mine lent me his copy of Agent under fire and I played for about 10 minutes before I remembered why I didn't buy it originally. The controls and graphics are horrible, especially when blown up by the PS3 onto a large LCD screen.

I was going through my closet at my parents house and found a few PS1 RPGs that I kept (FFVII, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and a few others), so I popped Xenogears into my PS2 and started playing it again. After I'm done with this, I'll start on Shadow of the Colossus.

Working my way through Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 1. This game has been in my backlog for years, bought for $10 at a TRU clearance sale and have been waiting for a decently priced copy of its sequel to show up. And it did!

I've bought Digital Devil Saga 2 and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne through the CAG deal posted earlier. They should arrive at my house from Amazon soon!

I'm thinking about picking up Shadow of the Colossus after that.

I am STILL chipping away at Persona 3 FES. I've been playing this game on/off for about a year and it's losing its fun factor. I just want to beat it already :)

I've got a HUGE PS2 RPG backlog and don't know where to start after I'm done w/ FES. Wild Arms, NIS, Suikoden, more SMT?

Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001 - this pretty much does not leave my PS2.

Shadow of Destiny - I picked this up for $5 recently (I've wanted to play it for years), and it's interesting, to say the least. The voice acting is a little... annoying, but it's a unique game nontheless.

I'm still an avid PS2 player, waiting for the slimmer, cheaper PS3.
Currently playing: SoulCalibur II and III, Bombastic, Tourist Trophy, ToCA 3, RE4, and Q-Ball, to name a few. Q-Ball has to be the best $3 I ever spent on a game.

I often play my ps2 over my 360 these days.

Working on Dark Cloud 2 atm, but Disgaea is always on hand for some romping about.

recently bought ssx 3 for $6.00 from amazon. its the best game ive purchased in almost a year (including next gen titles from ps3 and 360).

I got a question, I hope someone can help me out with this.
So I just lucked out the other day, I was at a yard sale and found a copy of "Ico" in a bin of assorted games and was able to pick it up at a steel for 1$. I raced home pulled out (and dusted off) my ps2 slim and while I was seting it up realized I was missing the power cable (just the cable, I still have the ac brick) but I was able to find my old ps2 fat power cable witch of corse does not fit so my question is, can I shave off the extra plastic to make it fit or is that gonna make my ps2 slim go poof?

[quote name='Kambul']I got a question, I hope someone can help me out with this.
So I just lucked out the other day, I was at a yard sale and found a copy of "Ico" in a bin of assorted games and was able to pick it up at a steel for 1$. I raced home pulled out (and dusted off) my ps2 slim and while I was seting it up realized I was missing the power cable (just the cable, I still have the ac brick) but I was able to find my old ps2 fat power cable witch of corse does not fit so my question is, can I shave off the extra plastic to make it fit or is that gonna make my ps2 slim go poof?[/QUOTE]

I would advise that you just cough up a few bucks and buy a new cord. While I can't say whether or not your slim will melt away in a cloud of smoke, I do have my doubts that it would work.

By the way, to be on topic with the thread, I just finished Beyond Good and Evil, and I had a great time with it.

[quote name='fattbuddah'] If anyone has played through valkyrie profile 2 I would appreciate any comments on it about 2 hours into it and don't know if I want to continue on with it.[/QUOTE]

It only gets better as you progress. Certainly worth a playthrough if you can overlook the pacing and difficulty issues (volcano area).

If you're a fan of the first game you owe it to yourself to finish VP2. The reveal that takes place in chapter 4(?) is one of the greatest I've seen. Even if you're not familiar withthe first game VP2 stands on its own as one the best RPG's on the PS2 and certainly the best real-time RPG (I'm sorry, Star Ocean 3 was just terrible and Tales of the Abyss would have been great if it did'nt require revisting every location multiple times).

Also, at 2 hours in you have yet to see any of the ridiculously awesome purify weird soul finishers.

this is the system of where 90% of my backlog lies in wait! working on SMT:nocturne. Decent game, but i much preferred SMT:DDS1 & 2.

[quote name='amill007']By the way, to be on topic with the thread, I just finished Beyond Good and Evil, and I had a great time with it.[/QUOTE]
I just picked this game up on Amazon. Looking forward to starting it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I just picked this game up on Amazon. Looking forward to starting it.[/QUOTE]

if you like platform type games, you should love it then, also Psychonauts if you have not played it. these are two of the best that the ps2 has to offer imo of course.

Yep, I waited for the price drop for the PS3 that Sony never said was coming, but honestly after they drop Backward Compatitblity I became a bit less interested. There are no games I just have to have. The closest would be GT5:p but half a GT game + $400 console = No Sale.

Now that its dropped to $299, its more palatable but lack of BC means the PS2 and games I'm currently playing and will play into the foreseeable future will remain connected.

I have decided to wait despite the price drop until GT5 is released.

So with that -

PS2 Games currently playing:

Pro Race Driver 2 - 76% Complete, picked up used about 2 weeks ago
Pro Race Driver 3 - 67% Complete, bought as a distraction from GT4
Test Drive: Unlimited - 52% Complete, put on back burner since Atari took the server down
Burnout 3: Takedown - 40% Complete, back burner for now
Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition Remix - 42% Complete, back burner
NASCAR Thunder 2004 - Picked up 2 days ago, 6 of 36 Races Complete, best finish 8th at Daytona, 41st in Points/Earnings (ran out of fuel while leading 3 separate times!)

Other PS2 Games -

Enthusia - Haven't Played Yet, was $3 at GS
Test Drive: Le Mans 24Hrs - Already Have Dreamcast version, was $3 as well, might return.

In fact I'm still playing PS1 Games -

Spyhon Filter 2 - 2nd disc, finally figured out how to beat the fake Gregoff... You Tube Walkthroughs FTW!

I'm going back and playing through all of the PS2 games I missed out on, over the years. I ended up going with the XBOX for LAN parties, but man, I missed out on so many good RPGs in the end. Didn't get a PS2 until about 2004, and it was a launch unit with a dying laser. So, PS3 with BC for me.

I picked up Ico and Shadow of the Colossus this summer. Two of the best games I've ever played in my life, Ico being my absolute favorite.

And for the past two years or so, I've been chipping away at Front Mission 4. Sadly, that game is bullshit-hard in the later missions. :(

Out of curiosity: has anyone played any of the SOCOM games online, for co-op campaign? If so, how does it work? Is it comparable to playing Ghost Recon for the PC? Can you play through the whole campaign together, and chat using USB headsets? I'm basically looking for a co-op military game to play with a friend of mine, but it's difficult to find information for these old games.

[quote name='anticulture']And for the past two years or so, I've been chipping away at Front Mission 4. Sadly, that game is bullshit-hard in the later missions. :([/QUOTE]
I love FM4; it's one of my favorite PS2 games. Don't know if this will help, but to get through some of the tougher missions, I replayed old maps in the simulator for cash for new/better Wanzer parts. I think I ended up playing just about every sim map once.

I appreciate the pro-tip. :p

Yeah, farming XP looks like the route to go. I haven't touched it in about a year (I replayed the same mission about thirty times before I just gave up), but I definitely plan on finishing it, someday.

They certainly don't make SRPGs like they used to. I hope they continue to make turn-based Front Mission games. I'm still pissed that we never say FM5 in the states.

[quote name='jrsmaster411']I recently got addicted to ESPN NFL 2K5 all over again. Oh God, I can't stop playing![/QUOTE]

Ahhh...probably one of my favorite (American) football games ever. The awesome halftime shows...and the crazy first person mode...and the $20 price tag! It took me F-O-R-E-V-E-R to find this game when it came out. So many good memories...

Madden? MADDEN!? Are you listening!? What's that? You don't care if your cash cow is the same every year? Damn.

I just restarted SMT Nocturne. I got it back when it came out along with the strategy guide. However, I was distracted away from it back in 2004 and never really got back to playing it. I couldn't remember where I was or what I was doing so I had to start over. Actually, I'm off to play it right now before bed.

Still working on 4x4 Evolution, really liking it alot and feels so much like a Gran Turismo for Offroad racing...on the 3rd cup!.

Replaying MGS3: Subsistence lately because I only played Snake Eater once and I've been wanting to go back since finishing 4. Oddly enough I find that I'm too accustomed to the old camera style to use the 3rd person mode.

[quote name='anticulture']They certainly don't make SRPGs like they used to. I hope they continue to make turn-based Front Mission games. I'm still pissed that we never say FM5 in the states.[/QUOTE]
Tell me about it :whistle2:( I have this very slim hope that if Front Mission Evolved does well enough, FM5 will finally be officially released in English.

Speaking of Front Mission Evolved, I'm looking forward to it since I'm into the series' lore, but the SRPG gameplay will certainly be missed.

Was working on God of War and now I read that a special blu-ray edition is coming out with GOW 1 & 2 in 720P. Wow maybe I should hold off and play it again in its high defy glory. Other than that I play all the DDR games weekly.

For the past couple of days, I've wanted to play a game, but I couldn't find it. After going from God Hand, to Valkyria Chronicles, to Stranglehold, to Vampire Rain, I finally decided what I want to play. Today I went back to SMT: Nocturne. I was actually a little surprised because I was sure I had 55 hours in it, but it turned out to be 48... Anyway, I'm hoping that I'll finally beat that.

I've been really bulking up my PS2 library. Heading into finals week for me now so I probably won't be playing anything for a bit. Next game up is either going to be Okami or Shadow of the Colossus. FOR SURE.

I'm playing through Shadow of the Colossus and ICO as we speak. Ah, delightful PS3 upscaling. Still hoping those games are re-released with decent artwork on a single BR disc someday.

How is Okami? I always wanted to play it, but never got around to picking it up. What's the best game to compare it to? I'm told is plays a lot like a 3D Zelda?

Also, for anyone who has tried both: on the Wii or on the PS2? Which is the better version and why?

[quote name='anticulture']How is Okami? I always wanted to play it, but never got around to picking it up. What's the best game to compare it to? I'm told is plays a lot like a 3D Zelda?[/QUOTE]
I seem to be in the minority, but personally, I became rather bored with Okami after the first 20-30 hours (I did finish it... eventually). The biggest problems I had with it were the uneven pacing, equally uneven tone, and certain tedious bits. It has its charming moments, though, as well as some very good dungeons and, of course, lovely graphics. And yeah, Zelda is probably the closest game it resembles.

Last edited by a moderator:
My backlog for PS2 games got shorter over the summer:
Persona 3
Persona 4
Odin Sphere
Disgaea
Digital Devil Saga
Devil Summoner
Okami
Dragon Quest VIII

[quote name='mis0']I've been really bulking up my PS2 library. Heading into finals week for me now so I probably won't be playing anything for a bit. Next game up is either going to be Okami or Shadow of the Colossus. FOR SURE.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way right now...ps2 games are getting insanely cheap if you look around for them. I haven't bought any of the new gen consoles because I have backlogged stuff from ps2, GC, and Xbox, with the bulk of my titles on ps2.

*wants a copy of Okami and Shadow of the Colossus for her collection*

Ahh! I need more time. I have to decide which one of my Shin Megami Tensei games I should play next.

I'm playing through the first Ratchet and Clank and I love it. I like the different environments, the screw collecting, and of course the different weapsons which allow you to beat enemies in different ways. IMO, it's much better than Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy.

Well, I flamed on Persona 3:FES a while back but after watching some of those Endurance run clips off Giant Bomb I understood that I was approaching the game incorrectly and I just needed to kick back and put my feet up. So I got another copy off Goozex (I traded my previous one off on Goozex) and it came new/sealed, cool.

Also, I've been dabbling with The Red Star. Beat 5-6 levels with the heavy and tried the speedy chick last night. That game is nice. I feel "cool" dodging streams of bullets successfully. But man oh man, that "theme" is totally throw-away. That game could practically be based off any property. Luckily, there aren't any shitty in-game cutscenes that I've experienced so far.

[quote name='Spacepest']I'm the same way right now...ps2 games are getting insanely cheap if you look around for them. I haven't bought any of the new gen consoles because I have backlogged stuff from ps2, GC, and Xbox, with the bulk of my titles on ps2.

*wants a copy of Okami and Shadow of the Colossus for her collection*

Ahh! I need more time. I have to decide which one of my Shin Megami Tensei games I should play next.[/QUOTE]

which SMT games do you have left to play through?

bread's done
Back