Anyone actually buy LOTR Online?

mynameis

CAGiversary!
...Besides me?

I didn't rush out to get it the day that is was released, but I did pick up a copy this week. The interface is amazingly similar to that of WoW, but I like the style of the graphics a lot more. Only thing so far that I am slightly disappointed about is how it tries to tie in with the actually story of LOTR. I would have prefered it simply use the locations and lore but take place in a different time period so that it would be less limiting. This is the same issue I had with Star Wars Galaxies which tried to take place somewhere around the story line of A New Hope, which ended up just making it lame because of the lack of Jedi when it could have been set in the same time period as Knights of the Old Republic.

Your thoughts?

I played in the beta and purchased it day one. Right now I have a 22 captain on Vilya, but I haven't played for about a week and won't be able to for about another week because of finals and a paper I need to finish. I am loving this game, and that is coming for a longtime WoW addict that was in the best raiding guild on my old server.

Seems like a decent # of people do. Problem is CAG people tend to be console oriented.

The guys at GFW seem to like it thusfar

I bought it last week but haven't had much time to get into it. Just started a few characters to learn how each class played, but I think I'll be leveling a Minstrel first.

When I asked for it at Gamestop, they looked at me like they had no idea what I was talking about. I had to say the name 3 times.

Have yet to buy it yet, but I plan on getting it since I have heard a lot of good things about this game. BTW did any of you that bought the game, pay the life time membership?

I'm hooked, bought the lifetime membership. I hate monthly fees so I like the option. Plus I can take time off from the game whenever I have other things going on and I won't feel like I'm not getting my money's worth for the month. I played the game enough in closed beta and open beta to realize it will keep me entertained for years. Plus Turbine likes to release free content periodically, so they keep it from getting stale.

[quote name='Prepster']Have yet to buy it yet, but I plan on getting it since I have heard a lot of good things about this game. BTW did any of you that bought the game, pay the life time membership?[/QUOTE]

I took the 9.99 a month membership, but now I sorta wish I took the lifetime one. Any way its possible to switch it over?

EDIT: Looks like you can. If they havent charged you for your first month yet, you can switch your billing type. I'm lifetime now also. I've spend way over $200 for WoW in the last two years, and if I get the game sticks around for at least 2 years, I'll say its worth it.

If anyone has a trial code they're willing to part with, please let me know. I downloaded the game already for the prelease demo but didn't get into the game intime...heh. I can offer $3 paypal or somethin'. Hopefully this game can keep me entertained after WoW. thanks in advance

I only started playing wow a few months ago, I thought of picking this up, but I just started wow so I just didn't want to stop playing it.

[quote name='AnchorsAway']If anyone has a trial code they're willing to part with, please let me know. I downloaded the game already for the prelease demo but didn't get into the game intime...heh. I can offer $3 paypal or somethin'. Hopefully this game can keep me entertained after WoW. thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

I have one, but I will not be at home to access it till Friday. If you don't get one before then PM me.

[quote name='mr ryles']Why no IGN review?[/QUOTE]
Because lately, all they review are epsiodes of American Idol and 24..

So is LOTR Online just another level-grind, FedEx quest, boring MMORPG only with Frodo and hobbits?

It was already included in one of the giant price threads, but just a heads up, LOTR:O is only $35 at Circuit City if you order online with free shipping or in-store pick-up.

[quote name='Serik']So is LOTR Online just another level-grind, FedEx quest, boring MMORPG only with Frodo and hobbits?[/QUOTE]
Play it and draw your own conclusions. For me personally, it's the most fun I've had playing an MMO.

[quote name='Serik']So is LOTR Online just another level-grind, FedEx quest, boring MMORPG only with Frodo and hobbits?[/quote]

What game can't be broken down into something like that regardless of genre? Personally I was in beta and it was somewhat fun but I couldn't bring myself to get it once it hit retail. The lack of my two favorite class types, the healer and mage, were pretty much non-existant.

Now if I could just get into Tabula Rasa or Warhammer Beta... but that's another story. :p

[quote name='Draekon']What game can't be broken down into something like that regardless of genre? Personally I was in beta and it was somewhat fun but I couldn't bring myself to get it once it hit retail. The lack of my two favorite class types, the healer and mage, were pretty much non-existant.
[/QUOTE]

The minstrel is the healer class, but you dont start to get any of the healing abilities until level 15-20, and after 30 those are the only abilities you get. But yeah, to keep in tune with the lore, you won't see any mages. Apparenlty there are only like 5 wizards in the book, so you can't have any old hobbit running around throwing fireballs at people.

Personally, I like the fact that the game is a little more melee specific. The last game I played like this, Guild Wars, I thought was too much magic based.

If anyone has a friend pass, I'd love to try this game out... didn't really have a computer while the beta was going on ;)

I'm loving the game so far. A nice change of pace for a burned-out WoW player like I was.

If anyone plays on Silverlode, I'd love to have some CAG connections. Message Esmond in-game if you're in need of a minstrel. :)

[quote name='Roufuss']If anyone has a friend pass, I'd love to try this game out... didn't really have a computer while the beta was going on ;)[/QUOTE]

You actually have to install the game from the disc to get the buddy pass to work. I don't see where you can download the game from lotro.com now that the beta is over.

[quote name='rodeojones903']You actually have to install the game from the disc to get the buddy pass to work. I don't see where you can download the game from lotro.com now that the beta is over.[/QUOTE]

So wait... what is the point of the friend pass then? I assumed it was like you downloaded the game, tried it for 14 days, and if it was your thing, you bought it?

I don't see the point in blowing the $50 on it and then trying the friend pass, you get a free month anyways right?

I guess it would be for a friend to let you install his game then use the friend pass?

Oh well... guess I'll stick with WoW and Guild Wars =/

[quote name='jalu6']The minstrel is the healer class, but you dont start to get any of the healing abilities until level 15-20, and after 30 those are the only abilities you get. But yeah, to keep in tune with the lore, you won't see any mages. Apparenlty there are only like 5 wizards in the book, so you can't have any old hobbit running around throwing fireballs at people.

Personally, I like the fact that the game is a little more melee specific. The last game I played like this, Guild Wars, I thought was too much magic based.[/quote]

Minstrel isn't really a healer in my opinion. Just like how Lore-Masters aren't really mages. Game focuses a lot on melee, like you said, and I'm not one to care for that. Granted I don't care much for how Guild Wars has their system setup either.

I do remember they did add Wizards as a class for a short period in time. Then instead of telling us that it doesn't fit lore wise they gave us a shitty explanation with how it wasn't popular enough. It made me laugh, heh.

[quote name='Draekon']Minstrel isn't really a healer in my opinion. [/QUOTE]

Well, that is their job. :D In any group instance lvl 20+ a minstrel will sit back and heal because that is all they will have time to do.

RodeoJones is right, the classes really come into their own element at the higher levels. Early on most classes are sort of multi-functional, but as the game progresses each class' strengths and weaknesses are more well-defined. Minstrel is definitely the healer class in LOTRO though.

My friend actually bought this game yesterday, and we were trying it out all night.

Maybe I'm just too much of a LOTR nerd, but my friend and I both agreed that it was actually a really fun game.

first WoW type game i've considered buying and subscribing to. gotta bring my pc into the 21st century this summer, then look into getting this one.

Whats the questing like? Do you have to group to be able to finish a questline, or is it possible to solo?

The thing I hate most about WOW is the fact that they put quest items inside instances, and it's hard to get a PUG together without a whole lotta drama therefore I have tons of questlines that remain unfinished.

I have been playing it and I have to say I really enjoy it. The story elements really drive the game and it caters to fans. You have to enjoy lotr in general to get through the game as the biggest draw is getting to certain plot points.

And roufuss asked 'What the point of the buddy pass was'

Its so you hand it to a buddy, I know they are rare these days, but a real living breathing person takes the copy out of your hands and you give them the little code sheet and off they go! Thats what its for...

If you like LOTR you just might enjoy this version of the story...

Can you guys with higher level experience comment on the soloability of it. Easier or harder then WOW to solo? Is it possible to max your level out and complete quests purely by soloing?

[quote name='Lice']
And roufuss asked 'What the point of the buddy pass was'

Its so you had it to a buddy, I know they are rare these days, but a real living breathing person takes the copy out of your hands and you give them the little code sheet and off they go! Thats what its for...
[/QUOTE]

You're so cool :roll:

Sorry that I don't know anyone else who is so crazy into LOTR and MMORPG's to go buy this day 1, if at all.

But hey, it looks like Turbine actually listened to the people because there is a digital distrubution download for the game, so if anyone who is playing can throw me a buddy key, I'd love to check this game out. I'd like to check out to see how good of an alternative it could be to WoW.

If anyone gets into this on Arkenstone server, say hi to my character Yambu.

Honestly, this has been great so far. Every pick-up group has played well and been friendly, and I'm having a lot of fun with LotrO, so try it for 10 days guys!

Finally got my copy today signed up for the lifetime subscription, well worth the $199, heck I'd pay that in 1yr anyway at $15/mo, what a great bargain!

Wait a minute are you telling me that you can still sign up for the lifetime subscription? I thought that was only a pre-order option. If you can that might finally push me over the edge on getting this game.

[quote name='cgarb84']Wait a minute are you telling me that you can still sign up for the lifetime subscription? I thought that was only a pre-order option. If you can that might finally push me over the edge on getting this game.[/QUOTE]
It is a pre-order only option but people are selling those keys on ebay however you must have it registered by May 24th. Also try your local eb/gs to see if they have any extras.

Well this sucks, I finally downloaded it to use the 10 day buddy pass, activated it and now I can't even play it.

It gives me "Can't open the data files. Check that they exist and that you have permission to write to them. The program will now exit. [201] "

I checked their knowledge base and it still didn't work. I check their tech forum and they still don't have a solution. Anyone else with this problem and got it to work?

[quote name='gokou36']Well this sucks, I finally downloaded it to use the 10 day buddy pass, activated it and now I can't even play it.

It gives me "Can't open the data files. Check that they exist and that you have permission to write to them. The program will now exit. [201] "

I checked their knowledge base and it still didn't work. I check their tech forum and they still don't have a solution. Anyone else with this problem and got it to work?[/QUOTE]
Try reinstalling it again, do you have enough HDD space free, have you rebooted?

bread's done
Back