Anyone else OCD when they go to Gamestop and start organizing their stock?

Mike 01Hawk

CAGiversary!
:D

I swear to god it's a sickness...I'll go in and start browsing their used selection and be all :bomb: Metroid Prime 2 does NOT go next to Alien Hominid!!! :bomb:

Then I'll start to sort the games that are in the bins and get the labels facing the same way... Yeah, after about 30 seconds of doing this I realize how daunting this task would be and just give up.

So... lets hear it, who goes into OCD mode @ Gamestop?

No. It isn't my job. When they start paying me for doing their job, I will. Hell I throw stuff at my local GS employees. Then again we are friends and regularly hang out so...

I will move a few titles around once in a while if a game that starts with an "S" is on the "D" shelf or something like that but I have never done the labels facing the same way in the bins thing. That is a little too much.

I get a little silly with that shit from time to time, as I've worked in about 8 retail jobs...so I HATE when people put things back in the wrong place!

But then again, the GS employees around my area are pretty shaq-fu'in lazy.

I would start to think about doing that since I am usually a very clean, organized person but then I remember where I am. I mean, if I would be getting paid for it, it would look the best ever.

I only did it a few times at CompUSA and at EB when they were clearancing out entire sections and they just chucked everything into a bin. It wasn't so much for their benefit as it was for my own, especially since each time I ended up finding around one to four gems because people would look at the ridiculous stack and not even bother to look.

Didn't bother me any. I liked picking up Persona for $5, Breath of Fire 2 GBA for $10, etc. ;)

It would be a fair sized undertaking but worth it if gamestop did like hot topic did and have a scan of every video games front and back box art done then upload them all. Instead of having the boxes laying everywhere which makes it hard to tell what they have in stock and also takes up alot of space they could just keep every game in the back room(including the boxes)and have a few touch screen computer monitors out where you can browse through the selection. At hot topic and other record stores if you find the CD you like you can demo a few tracks by clicking on them. For games when you find a game you think your interested in you would click it and it would bring up a larger image of the games box art and the back of the game which tells you about it.

Seems brilliant to me. Theirs stores would be better organized and they would use less space meaning they could rent smaller stores(or have more demo stands or other uses for the space)and it would be easier for the customer too.

Edit - And thinking about it if they were smart they could hook these directly up to a game system. Have 1 browser for each system hooked up to that system, then the computer hosts demos for each game so you can play a little 5/6 minute snippet the publishers releases.

[quote name='MSI Magus']It would be a fair sized undertaking but worth it if gamestop did like hot topic did and have a scan of every video games front and back box art done then upload them all. Instead of having the boxes laying everywhere which makes it hard to tell what they have in stock and also takes up alot of space they could just keep every game in the back room(including the boxes)and have a few touch screen computer monitors out where you can browse through the selection. At hot topic and other record stores if you find the CD you like you can demo a few tracks by clicking on them. For games when you find a game you think your interested in you would click it and it would bring up a larger image of the games box art and the back of the game which tells you about it.

Seems brilliant to me. Theirs stores would be better organized and they would use less space meaning they could rent smaller stores(or have more demo stands or other uses for the space)and it would be easier for the customer too.[/QUOTE]

Pretty good idea, but the holidays would mess it up. At Hot Topic people are looking around at other merchandise and CD's are not their main focus, but at GS every single customer would have to use the touch screens and for a good amount of time. Unless there were quite a bit more than a few it really wouldn't work. It would create a long wait for the customer.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Pretty good idea, but the holidays would mess it up. At Hot Topic people are looking around at other merchandise and CD's are not their main focus, but at GS every single customer would have to use the touch screens and for a good amount of time. Unless there were quite a bit more than a few it really wouldn't work.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm I could see where that would seem like a problem but think about the space it takes to have all of those games out on the shelves? By having the touch menu system they could easily have like 40 of those monitors in the store. Naturally that would be a cost, but first off realistically I think 8 or so of those screens would be enough. Second though think about how much it costs to have all the extra employees dealing with the extra customers at Christmas, and then throughout the year paying extra hours just for tidying and organizing boxes. I bet the savings of man hours would outweigh the cost of the screens.

The downside I see thats more realistic is this might be too futuristic and outside what people today know for them to feel comfortable with this. Imagine walking into a gamestop thats compltly empty outside the check out counter and the kiosks? Creepy huh.

I went to the Mansfield, OH GS a few months ago and it was the biggest clusterfuck I've ever seen. I was surprised they even had it organized by system because there was no other method in place. I was looking for a PS2 game and I gave up since they had just put things up randomly on the wall.

I start organizing shit whatever store I'm at and have to consciously stop myself. I was in Wal-Mart just this morning and started cleaning up their toy aisle.

That's the great thing about not owning any games, you don't have to obsess over keeping them in order. I just have all my cart only Genesis games in a USPS box, and the ones with their original boxes on a shelf.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Hmmmm I could see where that would seem like a problem but think about the space it takes to have all of those games out on the shelves? By having the touch menu system they could easily have like 40 of those monitors in the store. Naturally that would be a cost, but first off realistically I think 8 or so of those screens would be enough. Second though think about how much it costs to have all the extra employees dealing with the extra customers at Christmas, and then throughout the year paying extra hours just for tidying and organizing boxes. I bet the savings of man hours would outweigh the cost of the screens.

The downside I see thats more realistic is this might be too futuristic and outside what people today know for them to feel comfortable with this. Imagine walking into a gamestop thats compltly empty outside the check out counter and the kiosks? Creepy huh.[/quote]You're full of shit. Few people that go to Gamestops even know what they're looking for, this is possibly the dumbest idea I've ever heard. And do you have any idea how complicated and expensive it would be to purchase all those touch screens and maintain a database?

Yeah, that touch screen idea is dumb. I know a lot of people who buy games at GameStop because they see the box, flip it over, and go "Oh, this looks cool." Something always looks better when you are holding it in your hands, not seeing it on a touch screen.

[quote name='TimPV3']You're full of shit. Few people that go to Gamestops even know what they're looking for, this is possibly the dumbest idea I've ever heard. And do you have any idea how complicated and expensive it would be to purchase all those touch screens and maintain a database?[/QUOTE]

First off no reason to be an asshole. Second you call me dumb yet you make the assumption that this system wont let you browse for titles. Guess what you just said maintain a database. People can flip through stuff the same as they used to, just now they do it on a screen, just like if you go to gamestops site right now! Third the expense would probably be nothing greater then the expense of paying all these counter monkeys to have to come in and be organizing the damn store all the time. The cost of cutting out an employee or two would cut out the one time giant cost of building the data base. Maintaining it would just mean an employee at check out adding or taking games from that stores personal data base.

Keep arguing if you want.....but really does it matter? This is just an idea on an online message board not a system im actually selling to gamestop or something.

[quote name='MSI Magus']First off no reason to be an asshole. Second you call me dumb yet you make the assumption that this system wont let you browse for titles. Guess what you just said maintain a database. People can flip through stuff the same as they used to, just now they do it on a screen, just like if you go to gamestops site right now! Third the expense would probably be nothing greater then the expense of paying all these counter monkeys to have to come in and be organizing the damn store all the time. The cost of cutting out an employee or two would cut out the one time giant cost of building the data base. Maintaining it would just mean an employee at check out adding or taking games from that stores personal data base.

Keep arguing if you want.....but really does it matter? This is just an idea on an online message board not a system im actually selling to gamestop or something.[/quote]Another reason why your idea is flawed: after knowing what you do with your hands, I don't want to be the next guy in line after you use the touchscreen.

Sometimes I do. I use to be a manager at a mom and pop video game store for a couple years so that mentally still creeps out when I'm in a store that is poorly setup.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Another reason why your idea is flawed: after knowing what you do with your hands, I don't want to be the next guy in line after you use the touchscreen.[/QUOTE]

Well played

I sometimes feel compelled to do this, because I used to be an employee there, over 3 years ago, and I constantly made sure everything was alphabetized. It disgusts me how messy and disorderly almost all GSes I go to are. I always made sure my store was clean whenever I was working. :lol:

I do this in bookstores, a lot. I think it's a carryover from working in a library when I was younger. Not so much at GameStop, though. I have a get in / get what I want / get out mentality when it comes to that store.

Wouldn't someone with OCD avoid handling their display boxes, given the amount of people that look at/touch them? I know I do. Then again, if I go to GameStop, I already know what I want, and go straight to the counter and ask for it.

[quote name='MidnightRain']I do this in bookstores, a lot. I think it's a carryover from working in a library when I was younger. Not so much at GameStop, though. I have a get in / get what I want / get out mentality when it comes to that store.[/quote]

Yes, same here. In stores like GameStop, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Target, I have a "quickly as possible" mentality. One of a few stores where I actually take time to browse is Borders. Maybe it's because there are less idiots?

*ponders*

I do that in almost every store I go into. I've been working retail since I was 16 so I guess old habits die hard. The last place I did organize was Gamestop though. Their Game's Day Sale bin was a disaster.

I tell them that shit is fucked and they should be cleaning it up instead of standing around trying to see how far they can shove their thumb up their ass.

I actually used to be pretty good friends with the guys at a local Gamestop, well back in the day it was EB Games.

I'd be chatting with one of the guys, standing around browsing a rack... notice games out of place... "What the heck is this crap!?" And organize I did.

There were certain nights they had to so inventory and I'd help out here and there with alpha-ma-tizing the games.

Does drive me up a wall seeing stuff un-oraganized though.

I don't even go to Gamestop anymore. The same asshole manager has been there for about a decade. One of those pricks that rolls his eyes at everything people bring up to buy or snickers if you have the nerve to ask if they have in stock.

bread's done
Back