Apple WWDC 2008 - 3G iPhones - 8GB = $199 16GB = $299 (AKA iPhone Thread)

[quote name='mang9432']damn, what did you do, drop a bowling ball on it?[/quote]

Set it down on a machine at the gym, one of the pieces that moved had a bolt that stuck out just enough so that it pinched the iPhone.

My Verizon plan expires in a month and Im thinking about switching to AT&T and getting an iphone. Ive read up on the reviews online and it seems like the way to go over the Blackberry Storm. Any CAGs own one and would like to give some imput on the positives and negatives? Ive heard you cant recieve MMS messages but only emails, is that true? And any word on if a newer model is going to come out within the next month or two? Thanks

iPhones can't send or receive MMS messages or forward texts, and I highly doubt that a new model is going to come out for a long time since the 3G came out in July(?). I love my iPhone and don't know if I could go back to a regular phone after having one.

I have had the phone since May and have noticed some quirks here and there. If you let the battery die completely and charge the phone up until it gets past 20 percent battery power it seems to glitch , things hang up and crash a lot. Takes a few restarts to fix but worth noting. Otherwise I feel much like Bioshocked360, I couldn't see myself going back to a regular phone. I've owned 3 smartphones in the past and none were as fluid or fast.

Not to mention the map function has helped me out plenty of times now.

[quote name='coolsteel']I have had the phone since May and have noticed some quirks here and there. If you let the battery die completely and charge the phone up until it gets past 20 percent battery power it seems to glitch , things hang up and crash a lot. Takes a few restarts to fix but worth noting. Otherwise I feel much like Bioshocked360, I couldn't see myself going back to a regular phone. I've owned 3 smartphones in the past and none were as fluid or fast.

Not to mention the map function has helped me out plenty of times now.[/quote]

Thanks for the input both of you, how is the battery life? How many hours aprox. on a full charge? I know it depends on how you use it, but on average?

I don't really know because I charge it every night, but I rarely ever see the "20% Battery Remaining" unless I'm playing games or listening to music on it all day long.

EDIT: for the record, I have an unlocked 16GB 1st Generation.

1st gen 8 gb Unlocked

I don't really pay attention to the battery life either , I got into the habit of charging it at night. From what I can remember I got three hours talking out of it before with the battery not being completely dead. I will say this, turn wifi off, my battery meter goes by percentage and you can see it drain the battery very fast.

I'm quite happy with my 16GB first generation. The only thing I miss is UMA (I'm using it on T-Mobile). I'm tempted to upgrade to a white 3G, and possibly even switch to AT&T, but I'm going to try and wait until they release a 32GB version. I never used MMS on my Curve, so having to e-mail pictures is nothing new to me. I also have MobileMe and love it.

i enjoy my iphone a lot. I got a 16gb 3g. there are problems w/ it. no copy and paste, no wide screen texting or email writing, battery life is weird. somedays i can use it often and still have a 50% charge coming home from work other days when doing nothing im near dead. There are more issues but i can't remember at this exact moment.

One thing i really like about the phone is the appstore, it has things which i can't live without now. I love Tuner, allows u to stream internet radio to ure phone. having happyhardcore from di.fm anywhere is badass.
Gashog, Now Playing, Sportacular, Shazam, etc.. There are a shit ton of apps and some are really well made and are extremely helpful. Games are alright, i only play them when on the toilet tbh.

about the MMS thing, when my family sends me pictures it shows up on my phone as a login to a att website.(they all use verizon) You will recieve a weird ass ID# and a password. both are random for each message so it becomes really annoying when u get 5 pictures a day and u need a pen and paper to write out a text message before viewing. This is where not having copy and paste becomes so annoying.

I would go for an iphone if the plan wasn't so expensive and I wasn't tied to a 2-year contract with verizon...
I use my friend's iphone from time to time and I've gotta say, no other phone has shit on the iphone, all the apps available for it just makes it so much more fun, like the texas poker... Not to mention how much better the browser is compared to the one on my LG vogayer...

[quote name='Liquid 2']$70 a month is the cheapest plan you'll get, IIRC.[/quote]

[quote name='hec204']I would go for an iphone if the plan wasn't so expensive and I wasn't tied to a 2-year contract with verizon...
I use my friend's iphone from time to time and I've gotta say, no other phone has shit on the iphone, all the apps available for it just makes it so much more fun, like the texas poker... Not to mention how much better the browser is compared to the one on my LG vogayer...[/quote]

In Canada the cheapest plan is about $110CAD and it's on a three year contract :(

regardless I think will be getting one when I get back

I had an original 8 gig 1st generation and loved it. I upgraded to the 16 gig 3g and gave my girlfriend the old one. She loves it and the 3g makes everything so much faster. One other thing to consider that hasn't been mentioned is the size of your fingers. A couple of friends can't get the texting down easily because their fingers are too big. I love it though, and couldn't use anything else.

[quote name='Liquid 2']$70 a month is the cheapest plan you'll get, IIRC.[/quote]

$35 for the data plan on AT&T. I looked into this about a month ago but decided that it would cost me twice the cost of a new iPhone just for the data package for 2 years.

I'm looking into an HTC Vuze because there is no data plan required and I can just connect to a wifi network for e-mail/web.

Wow thats pretty expensive.....thanks again everyone. Can you access the app store without paying for the data package? Cause Im mostly getting it to combine my phone and ipod, save some pocket space.

My wife has one and I love it. I am definitely going to get one once they come out with a 80+ GB version. I don't want to carry around an iPod and an iPhone... even though I carry around a regular cell phone right now... The apps are great - we got Shazam over the weekend and it is really amazing.

a data plan is required through att.
really, you need the data plan to use the phone properly.
if you didnt have the data plan youd be missing out on why the phone is so good.
my data plan through att is $30 a month.
and like others have said i couldnt do with another phone anymore.

[quote name='prence']$35 for the data plan on AT&T. I looked into this about a month ago but decided that it would cost me twice the cost of a new iPhone just for the data package for 2 years.

I'm looking into an HTC Vuze because there is no data plan required and I can just connect to a wifi network for e-mail/web.[/QUOTE]I meant including minutes and data.

[quote name='j1mb07']Wow thats pretty expensive.....thanks again everyone. Can you access the app store without paying for the data package? Cause Im mostly getting it to combine my phone and ipod, save some pocket space.[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, but don't they require you to get the data plan with the contract?

[quote name='j1mb07']Wow thats pretty expensive.....thanks again everyone. Can you access the app store without paying for the data package? Cause Im mostly getting it to combine my phone and ipod, save some pocket space.[/quote]

You can't get an iPhone on AT&T without the data package.

Well, I finally found a place hosting the custom 2.2 IPSW I wanted for my 3G. Since I don't have access to a Mac, I couldn't make one myself.

- Original logo
- Jailbroken
- Enables/Activated
- Baseband update disabled
- Root partition: 531 MB

Gonna try when I get home today.

lack of mms is still a deal breaker for me .. hopefully next years version will have this built in....

im very jealous of the app store.. they even got ORB on there now..

I caved in. Found out this week that I only had to add data to my current play in order to get the phone, so I was sold. Not to mention I was planning on replacing my iPod at some point anyway...

Any suggestions for a new iPhone owner?

[quote name='help1']Are there any new rumors surrounding iPhones?[/quote]

There's a rumor floating that the next iPhone will be released in June. Granted, it's an extremely large rumor, but one worth watching/thinking about.

That being said, I just got an iphone today. Definitely enjoying the purchase, especially since work pays $45 a month towards my cell phone bill. Made the entire package much easier to buy.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Any suggestions for a new iPhone owner?[/quote]
As far as games go, I stopped using my iPhone (as a phone; I still use it as an iPod) when I got my Curve 8900 a few weeks ago, but caved and bought the Monopoly game for it the other day. It's pretty neat. Uno is alright too.

[quote name='Rig']There's a rumor floating that the next iPhone will be released in June. Granted, it's an extremely large rumor, but one worth watching/thinking about.

[/quote]

See, I am the type of person who gets a new phone every 3 years, so I can't risk buying an iPhone only to have a newer model come out in just 4 months.

Will Apple be making an appearance at the Mobile Congress? If they don't announce a new iPhone there, I would be very suspicious of this rumor, since I can't see them releasing a new iPhone in just 4 months without any publicity.

Wait until they release the iPhone 2 and buy it the day it comes out, as that will be the longest time before they they release another hardware revision.

Also, I read this on GAF the other day...
Well, there's all these rumors about a new hardware SKU showing up in app stat data provided to developers. They've been seeing a steady increase of instances of "iPhone2,1" showing up. For those unfamiliar with the product identification numbering scheme:

iPhone: iPhone1,1
iPhone 3G: iPhone1,2

So the existence of an "iPhone2,1" would indicate a hugely substantial hardware change to differentiate it from previous models, as a change in the first numeral has always indicated a substantial change to the main chipset/board on their other products, whereas the 3G was merely a change to baseband components (3G and GPS) and appearance.
I can't imagine they'll go a year without a new revision.

bread's done
Back