Apple WWDC 2008 - 3G iPhones - 8GB = $199 16GB = $299 (AKA iPhone Thread)

I was about to run in here and say GET IT GET IT GET IT!

But then you said you aren't on AT&T, which means no 3G, which is primarily the main reason I love my brother's iPhone. Internet anywhere rocks, but EDGE (or any internet equivalent) might not be worth the time. Still the web browser is actual internet pages, not just lame mobile pages.

[quote name='Ahadi']and honestly, this really cool app I saw a buddy of mine use where it swung it around and it sounded like a lightsaber :drool:[/quote]

Wish I read that before. If this made you drool, everything else the iPhone has will make you cream your pants.

yeah, youll love it. it was easily worth every penny. im actualy suprised at the universal love in this thread, usually any apple product related hread is filled with grumps groanign abotu how stupid people who like apple products are.

I'll just throw my hat into the ring and say that I got my iphone last week and i love it. And even using the Edge network in my town isn't that bad.

Is the lightsaber app still up?

im actually still in the hunt for a 1st gen phone.. i cant find one decently priced for the life of me and ppl around here on craigslist are just a waste of time..ebay is just over inflated

im still looking for one at the magical $200 ish price.

Anyone seen good cl deals in their area? help a bother out

I have ATT and I'm in a contract so i need to buy an old iphone then upgrade to the new one....

I really want to use the sports tap app my friend showed me. For a guy who isnt allowed to have sundays off during holiday season, it is a fantasy football players dream come true.

Huh. Thanks to the mod who merged my topic with the "official" one :lol: my bad....

But yeah, so I got talking with a co worker of mine who has an iPhone, and through picking his brain, I've decided that 3g is not something I "need". I'm on a college campus, and there is wireless internet literally everywhere. I dont need to be checking Facebook while driving :lol:. And the 8 gig, from the way he talked about it, seems to be about what I need. So thanks to everyone who helped answer my questions. Now I just need to find a first gen for around $200ish... Or is the "going rate" different than what I'm thinking?

[quote name='Ahadi']Now I just need to find a first gen for around $200ish... Or is the "going rate" different than what I'm thinking?[/quote]

From what I hear, its over $300.

Check out live search's cashback when it jumps up percentage.

Just got my phone yesterday! I love it so far but can't seem to hear anyone talk or even ringing (for outgoing calls) when I don't have speaker phone on?? Am going to have to stop back by the store to get them to fix this "problem"!

But considering this is my first phone with a camera (and everything else), it's pretty nice!! :)

The other bad part about it was that I spent the day trying to figure it out/etc rather than concentrating on work like I should have been!

I was all ready to upgrade (old POS phone) to a new iphone, until they told me I couldnt upgrade til the middle of november...alas my wife, who WAS able to upgrade to the new 3g from the older iphone had no use for the old, so I switched over to using that for the next couple months at least, until I can get the new 3g... after that, the old phone will be sold...

Being the mac fan here, I already have more goodies on my phone than she does with hers... still want that 3g...

My favorite app is the remote program that allows the iphone to control your itunes, love that much better than the small remote that came with my imac since it displays album art too, the only thing it doesnt display is lyrics you might have saved for a certain song

SHAN82.... did you buy an iPod Touch jacket? Maybe you have the wrong cover on it, covering up the earpiece? Just a thought. If not, sometimes you have to get it right on your earhole, as a slight angle causes muffled sound, at least for me. Maybe check your settings, make sure there's no sounds turned off and the volumes up. I bought a Bluetooth headset, but I usually just use the phone like a normal handset, but you could try one of those too. There are some decent pieces for cheap on the net :) GL

[quote name='specialk']SportsTap vs. Sportstacular...anyone got both and impressions/differences?[/quote]

I use sportstap for scores, standings, and news. Sportstacular for my fantasy teams.

My brother is upgrading to the 3G next week and is giving his 1st gen to me for free. :whee:

I have been out of my Verizon contract for about 7 months and I think I'll just stick with the 1st gen and upgrade later on.

Ok, I've had 2 apps just stop working. Sportstacular and Flash light...when I click on them they go to open then just go back to my main screen. Anyone else have this happen or know what's wrong?

Also does anyone else's contacts screen take a few seconds to load or to allow you to scroll through them? Mine does at times.

So I just got the 3g iPhone and since I am on Tmobile I can't really do anything with it yet but maybe jailbrake it. I want to do it, but any chance it could screw up me being able to unlock my phone in the future? Not sure if any of you guys would even know, but just trying to figure it out so I can at least use it for wifi and whatnot.

So BestBuy decided to sell the phone for 8GB for $299? On this weeks ad it shows the 8GB for that price...wonder if its a misprint. :whistle2:k

[quote name='Prepster']So I just got the 3g iPhone and since I am on Tmobile I can't really do anything with it yet but maybe jailbrake it. I want to do it, but any chance it could screw up me being able to unlock my phone in the future? Not sure if any of you guys would even know, but just trying to figure it out so I can at least use it for wifi and whatnot.[/quote]Really hard to actually mess up the phone permanently.
Go for it.

[quote name='specialk']Ok, I've had 2 apps just stop working. Sportstacular and Flash light...when I click on them they go to open then just go back to my main screen. Anyone else have this happen or know what's wrong?

Also does anyone else's contacts screen take a few seconds to load or to allow you to scroll through them? Mine does at times.[/quote]
Restart the phone. Happens sometimes, as the the contact screen lag.

The 2.x.x+ FW is really buggy at times.

Alright, Ill give it a go tomorrow after class. I'm guessing to just use pwnage and I found a pretty long walk through for my mac. Can't wait to start using it.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Just got my 3g 16gb iphone. Any. Apps I should be on the lookout for? :whee:[/QUOTE]

Look a couple pages back--there's some recommendations.

All I have to say is wow! I am downloading some apps now and both Pandora and MLB Gameday are amazing. I can't believe I lived without this phone for so long. The iphone makes my Blackberry Curve seem like a kids' toy.

Ok, I have the Facebook app, and everytime I log into Facebook from my iPhone, it says in my mini feed that I "installed Facebook for iphone"...nothing huge but if I log in 3 times...it says that 3 times in a row.

Anyone else have this problem or heard of it?

damn love the phone hate the service. Experienced a lot of dropped calls and I keep getting cut off. Might have to go back to verizon. I can cancel service within 30 days right?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']damn love the phone hate the service. Experienced a lot of dropped calls and I keep getting cut off. Might have to go back to verizon. I can cancel service within 30 days right?[/QUOTE]

Linkin-check out my blog. After 1.5 days with the phone it has already crapped out!

I am going to have to look into the cancellation policy.

Loving my 3G, it's so slick compared to the first gen one.

Haven't had any dropped calls with this one yet, I did with T-Mobile every now and then though.
Hope I did the right thing with the switch.

I need to sell my 1st gen iPhone.

It's a 4GB, 2.0 Jailbroken, unlocked.

How much should I be looking for? I just want enough to help cover the cost of the 3G.

8GB 2.0 unlocked phones go for over 300-350 on ebay.

I'd say 250-275 for a 4gb.

At the very least, you'll be able to cover the costs of the 3g and activation.

Also, this is the best screenguard out there, and it's the only one the Apple store sells.
Actually, they sell two from the same company, but this is the superior one.

I HIGHLY recommend. And I usually hate screen protectors.
It feels great on the fingers, and there's absolutely no fingerprints, streaks, or oily residue after heavy use.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/iphone3G_antiglare.php

I actually fucked up applying this thing twice (comes with two), so I need to go back and buy another pack.
This time, I won't trying being a perfectionist...

I think the price point for the iPod Touch 2.0 is a little bit more than I was hoping for. Realistically, I would've been very happy with:

• 8 GB - $199
  • 16 GB - $249
  • 32 GB - $299

For me, the touch hasn't quite reached the magic number yet, so I guess I'll keep waiting.

FYI - you can almost always get your activation fee canceled if you call in about it. I got both mine and my sister's ($72) taken off our bill. It was easy, I told the rep the Apple guy said it would waived, and he took it right off. This is one of those things they're pretty chill about, might as well take advantage.

The problem someone mentioned about apps not starting and just throwing you back to the main screen - restart your phone. This is a bug that is supposedly going to be fixed with the next firmware release in a week or so.

I love the phone, but hate the bugs and AT&T is not that great in terms of reception. Kind of surprising as I figured by this point, all carriers would be up to par. However, the functionality of the phone overrides this...for now the reception is only an issue in a couple of places.

EDIT: and oh yeah, the new nanos are fugly, imo. Looks like the 2G nanos stretched out. I'm also supremely pissed they didn't bring back the orange ipod shuffle, come on. All in all I'm not too impressed.

Does anyone have issues with AIM on iPhone? I downloaded both AIM and IM+ and I was able to use AIM once, but now it says it won't connect to network.

Also, we should have an official iPhone thread, or make this it.

[quote name='Synergy']FYI - you can almost always get your activation fee canceled if you call in about it. I got both mine and my sister's ($72) taken off our bill. It was easy, I told the rep the Apple guy said it would waived, and he took it right off. This is one of those things they're pretty chill about, might as well take advantage.

The problem someone mentioned about apps not starting and just throwing you back to the main screen - restart your phone. This is a bug that is supposedly going to be fixed with the next firmware release in a week or so.

I love the phone, but hate the bugs and AT&T is not that great in terms of reception. Kind of surprising as I figured by this point, all carriers would be up to par. However, the functionality of the phone overrides this...for now the reception is only an issue in a couple of places.

EDIT: and oh yeah, the new nanos are fugly, imo. Looks like the 2G nanos stretched out. I'm also supremely pissed they didn't bring back the orange ipod shuffle, come on. All in all I'm not too impressed.[/QUOTE]

Do hope they release another firmware update soon, since 2.02 my boy's phone has just gone to hell. Stuff crashes all the time, doesn't work right etc,etc. When he had 1.14 it was fine. I'm running 2.02 myself and the first problems I hit were no service and my bluetooth not connecting. Thankfully a search on google solved both of those. And I agree about the nanos, I didn't like the look at all.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']Any chance MMS will be included with the new firmware?[/quote]

probably not, they feel that you have easy access to email to send photo's and what not.

I love the phone, but some of the app need a serious upgrade. AIM and Sports Tap are really inconsistent with there usability.

bread's done
Back