Apple WWDC 2008 - 3G iPhones - 8GB = $199 16GB = $299 (AKA iPhone Thread)

[quote name='manthing']Some new customers were having to pay deposits for their new accounts on the first day.[/quote]

that is only for people with poor or no credit history. Every phone company does this, it isn't exclusive to AT&T...why do you think they ask for your social security # when you setup the account. It is to check your credit history/risk factor.

[quote name='ryanbph']that is only for people with poor or no credit history. Every phone company does this, it isn't exclusive to AT&T...why do you think they ask for your social security # when you setup the account. It is to check your credit history/risk factor.[/quote]

Oh I know that, I was just putting it out there for LP to be aware of when he went to pick an Iphone up

Just stopped by an ATT near my work, they claim they'll have some next week and they haven't been getting crazy lines. They advised me to call in sometime next week and I should just be able to walk in and out with an iPhone...here's hoping.

[quote name='manthing']Did you have them run a credit check for account authorization as well?[/quote]

He didn't mention it...I have no worries there...credit is not excellent but its not horrible. I'll do that next week...if they get them.

That's what AT&T's site said to do ahead of the Iphone's release...

That coupled with Apple's 3rd party POS system for the Iphone were what caused me to have sooo much trouble when getting my Iphone on Launch Day

[quote name='seanr1221']Hmmm...midline Macbook or low-end iMac...which should I get?[/quote]

depends what you need man. macbook is nice but if plan to use it 90% of the time as a desktop probably best to get an imac.

I called verizon today to find when my account is expiring with them, it was supposed to be july 31st but now its august 31st. Have no idea how the hell that happened. Looks like i got 40days until i can pick up an iPhone if I want to keep my current number. :/
I had a question...I am planning on moving to Las Vegas...~ early august. I am going to keep my current number(chicago area code). can someone in Las Vegas transfer my chicago number out there or do i need to do that in chicago?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had similiar issues with verizon. They added about 2 wks to the end of my contract. Thats ok, I switched to the lowest plan and got an iphone anyways. You can transfer the verizon number to you iphone at any time for free in the first 30 days of owning the iphone. After that there was a $36 fee.

So if you decided to get the iphone in a week or 2, you would have to use the new att number now. You would have the option to port your verizon phone number over after your contract with verizon expires.

[quote name='naiku']depends what you need man. macbook is nice but if plan to use it 90% of the time as a desktop probably best to get an imac.

I called verizon today to find when my account is expiring with them, it was supposed to be july 31st but now its august 31st. Have no idea how the hell that happened. Looks like i got 40days until i can pick up an iPhone if I want to keep my current number. :/
I had a question...I am planning on moving to Las Vegas...~ early august. I am going to keep my current number(chicago area code). can someone in Las Vegas transfer my chicago number out there or do i need to do that in chicago?[/QUOTE]

I think you will need to port the number before you move. I vaguely recall having a similar conversation with T-mobile before I moved to Washington DC. I was a cingular customer at the time and I wanted to switch but was reluctant because of the cost. Once I found out that I would lose my CA number I immediately transfered.

Oh yea... It's all coming back to me now...

[quote name='naiku']depends what you need man. macbook is nice but if plan to use it 90% of the time as a desktop probably best to get an imac.

I had a question...I am planning on moving to Las Vegas...~ early august. I am going to keep my current number(chicago area code). can someone in Las Vegas transfer my chicago number out there or do i need to do that in chicago?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm see, I rarely bring my laptop around (never to class or work and rarely downstairs) but I like the idea that my computer is portable, ya know?

Maybe get the iMac now, and when I start making more money in gradschool look into a laptop.

NEW
20% discount
off of base rate Monthly Recurring Voice Plans (individual and family) and Data Plans for the New 3G iPhone as of July 11, 2008! (2G iPhones are not eligible for a discount)

my sister works for United Airlines, its from their intranet. I dunno if all companies are like this but someone mentioned that before it only applied to voice plans. It seems like its for both voice and data, obviously not the phone.

it all depends on your company and the arrangements they have made with att...

I have a couple questions about video on the iphone. Why do the video's on youtube that I have looked at all look so shitty. For the most part I have been looking at movie trailors, and when I watch them on my pc they don't look anywhere near as shitty as it does on the iphone.

Also what video formats does the iphone play? Can we install a flash player?

Last edited by a moderator:
Iphones still available at Apple Stores apparently.

A freind of mine just got one within the last half hour

Anyone hear of successes at AT&T stores lately?

with work in the way it makes it difficult for me to try to get up early and catch a phone at a store.. i also see no reason to go late as im sure they will be all gone

[quote name='seanr1221']What kind of gaming, if any, could I do on the iMac?[/quote]

since iMacs have a dedicated video card it should run almost any game available atm.
my pos integrated intel graphics card in my macbook runs World of Warcraft in low res just fine, looks like crap but it works. I dunno what games there are for macs tbh. I know spore is coming out and a dedicated card should run it @ some resolution just fine.

Tomorrow im going to the at&t store to talk things over w/ my situation. Hopefully I can get a temp number as ryanbph said and have it ported over when my verizon contract is done. Just want to make sure I can do this while im in another city.

keep in mind, that the using the temp # and then porting your verizon is only free for the first 30 days you have the phone...after that there is a $36 fee.

Did you check to see if you qualified for a pro rated early termination fee from verizon. Unless you have a corporate account you should qualify for the pro rated termination. You might be able to get out of verizon now for about $30 or so bucks...call them back and check

hmm, maybe a noob question but... when i try downloading an app it says incorrect appleid or aol. do i just set up an appleid somewhere?

and also, does the iphone support flash?

[quote name='ryanbph']
Did you check to see if you qualified for a pro rated early termination fee from verizon. Unless you have a corporate account you should qualify for the pro rated termination. You might be able to get out of verizon now for about $30 or so bucks...call them back and check[/quote]

I talked with verizon and they are starting to really piss me off. I do qualify for pro rated ETF at the price of $125. Three days ago it was $115. Reason its so high is because im on a 1year contract according to them...even though its a 2 year and I have been a customer with verizon for 5 years now. :cry: "If you were on a two year contract it would be $60 but you are on a one year contract." GRRR!!!

Its shitty but tomorrow I will try my luck w/ at&t. Hopefully they can answer some of my transfering number questions. 38days until Verizon contract ends...

you should call at&t...thats what I did...they will check to see if the number is able to be ported over. Since it is verizon shouldn't be an issue. If I were you, I would wait a week and a half since paying $36 to port the number after it has been 30 days with your new account is a waste of money. When you get the phone, and I assume a new #, you will need to ask for the telephone number to call to get the number ported. It isn't the same as regular customer service at At&t and the at&t customer service rep didn't transfer me.

The transfering # dept was very specific with the fact that you have up untill 30 days to port the number free of charge. After that it is a $36 fee.

I was an idiot and had about 45 days left and I am not going to port my number. I had been sitting on $500 in apple store gift cards going back to last Christmas. I was going to be on the road pretty much every weekend for the next couple of months, and I wanted the internet access and ease of use that the iphone is giving me. It would have been nice to port the # over in store or at least keep my verizon cell phone number, but IMO the pro's of giving up the number outweighed the cons.

I downloaded winpwn, but it always crashes right after it says something about how my iTunes is being "pwned," and I get a 1601 error when trying to restore using the firmware I built. :(

[quote name='naiku']I talked with verizon and they are starting to really piss me off. I do qualify for pro rated ETF at the price of $125. Three days ago it was $115. Reason its so high is because im on a 1year contract according to them...even though its a 2 year and I have been a customer with verizon for 5 years now. :cry: "If you were on a two year contract it would be $60 but you are on a one year contract." GRRR!!!

Its shitty but tomorrow I will try my luck w/ at&t. Hopefully they can answer some of my transfering number questions. 38days until Verizon contract ends...[/QUOTE]

Not that I want to take pleasure in your pain, but I am glad I am not the only one. Get this...

Today I received two phone bills, one from AT&T and one from T-Mobile (my previous carrier). My T-Mobile bill came with a $200 contract cancellation fee. Trouble is, I wasn't under a fucking contract! To make matters worse, my AT&T bill came in at a $160 for only six fucking days of service! What. The. fuck?!?!?!

[quote name='lmz00']I downloaded winpwn, but it always crashes right after it says something about how my iTunes is being "pwned," and I get a 1601 error when trying to restore using the firmware I built. :([/quote]
If you're in DFU mode, use Recovery Mode instead.

[quote name='dallow']If you're in DFU mode, use Recovery Mode instead.[/quote]
Are they not the same?
When I plug in the iPhone, I get "iTunes has detected an iPhone in Recovery Mode."

[quote name='ryanbph'] If I were you, I would wait a week and a half since paying $36 to port the number after it has been 30 days with your new account is a waste of money. [/quote]

Yeah im definitely going to do that. I already got my ical marked for August 4th for the big day. Hopefully iPhones will be in readily available & it gives me a few days extra to port it over..so its not the exact day of the verizon contract ending.
Thanks again for all the information about porting the number over. :applause:

Do you have the first gen phone?
And no, DFU and Recovery mode are different, check youtube for how to get into each mode.

The problem was with winpwn, but thankfully they released 2.0.0.3 today, which works. :)

Well, it's in the process of restoring right now, so I don't want to "count the chickens before they hatch." Hopefully I don't get any of the problems with 2.0 that I've been reading about.

still was looking for some help with these questions :)

I have a couple questions about video on the iphone. Why do the video's on youtube that I have looked at all look so shitty. For the most part I have been looking at movie trailors, and when I watch them on my pc they don't look anywhere near as shitty as it does on the iphone.

Also what video formats does the iphone play? Can we install a flash player?

Does anyone know if the iPod touch will drop in price ever? I don't need the phone portion of the iPhone, and the iPod touch looks damn sexy. I don't want to spend $300 for a iPod touch because I already have a 30gb Zune which works good but the iPod touch has those awesome features.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Does anyone know if the iPod touch will drop in price ever? I don't need the phone portion of the iPhone, and the iPod touch looks damn sexy. I don't want to spend $300 for a iPod touch because I already have a 30gb Zune which works good but the iPod touch has those awesome features.[/QUOTE]

How much you willing to pay? :cool:

bread's done
Back