Apple WWDC 2008 - 3G iPhones - 8GB = $199 16GB = $299 (AKA iPhone Thread)

so can we install a flash player? I can't play video's from gametrailers, and I am assuming it is because there isn't a flash player currently on my iphone.

[quote name='ryanbph']so can we install a flash player? I can't play video's from gametrailers, and I am assuming it is because there isn't a flash player currently on my iphone.[/QUOTE]

nope, no flash on the iphone

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Does anyone know if the iPod touch will drop in price ever? I don't need the phone portion of the iPhone, and the iPod touch looks damn sexy. I don't want to spend $300 for a iPod touch because I already have a 30gb Zune which works good but the iPod touch has those awesome features.[/quote]

Yeah, the rumors are that Apple is going to drop the ipod touch line shortly, before the holiday buying season begins. So you might want to hold off a bit.

[quote name='Synergy']Yeah, the rumors are that Apple is going to drop the ipod touch line shortly, before the holiday buying season begins. So you might want to hold off a bit.[/quote]

Oh I have no intention of buying one until it drops, after all I am a cheap ass shopper. I didn't get my first generation Zune till it hit the $130 range, and the cheapest I will settle for a touch is $200.

It sucks that i can not really find a 1st gen phone at a good price..

I think stores around here are starting to have the 3g in stock more often now but ive just been super lazy.

i have also been watching the apple store to see if refurbs appear and nothing :(

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='guyver2077']It sucks that i can not really find a 1st gen phone at a good price..

I think stores around here are starting to have the 3g in stock more often now but ive just been super lazy.

i have also been watching the apple store to see if refurbs appear and nothing :([/quote]
I'll sell you a somewhat brand new (bought it a few weeks ago, played around with it for a few days before I decided I couldn't live without UMA) 16GB iPhone, if you're interested.

[quote name='lmz00']I'll sell you a somewhat brand new (bought it a few weeks ago, played around with it for a few days before I decided I couldn't live without UMA) 16GB iPhone, if you're interested.[/quote]

1st gen or 3g? I may be interested depending on price. i was about to go to the att store lol

1st gen. Got it for $455 after the 35% Live cashback (posted about it several pages back), so I'd be willing to part with it for as much.

ill keep it in mind...dont know if i can part with that much at the moment..

i still find it insane that 1st gens go for that much..

[quote name='Synergy']Yeah, the rumors are that Apple is going to drop the ipod touch line shortly, before the holiday buying season begins. So you might want to hold off a bit.[/QUOTE]

This would be great if the 32GB went for less than $300, I would be in for at least that price.

Question..

the two year contract is only for the service correct? Lets say I sell my iphone a year from now, I can take off that iphone data plan correct?

Best Buy is going to start selling iPhones according to AppleInsider-

Best Buy Co., Inc. is expected to announce as early as Wednesday plans to begin selling the iPhone 3G next month, making it the first independent U.S. reseller to offer the the coveted touchscreen handset outside of Apple and AT&T.

People familiar with the matter say the electronics retailer has reached an agreement with Cupertino-based Apple that will see the iPhone sold at 970 Best Buy stores in addition to 16 Best Buy Mobile specialty outlets beginning September 7th.

Edit: Confirmed by Best Buy in another story.

nice to see bestbuy added to the list.. that means hopefully gift cards etc can be used..

my annoying quest for an iphone continues.. the people on craigslist here are absolute idiots who waste my time negotiating for days.. finally found one for $200 and then she just dissapears..

I did not realize the Best Buy Iphone 3G thing was a secret as I heard many employees talking about it in Best Buy when the 3G was released last month. They need to start carrying some decent 3G cases to go along with the Iphones.

Ok question: My grandma's contract is coming to an end with At&T and she is going to renew it and is going to get the Iphone to give to me, but heres where I think I might have a problem. She just uses the phone to talk and they are going to make her get the iphone plan correct?

So if that happens will it be possible to downgrade from that plan to a regular phone plan? Or do you even need to get the Iphone plan?

[quote name='Prepster']Ok question: My grandma's contract is coming to an end with At&T and she is going to renew it and is going to get the Iphone to give to me, but heres where I think I might have a problem. She just uses the phone to talk and they are going to make her get the iphone plan correct?

So if that happens will it be possible to downgrade from that plan to a regular phone plan? Or do you even need to get the Iphone plan?[/quote]

So does anyone know if this is possible?

[quote name='lmz00']A $200 iPhone? Let me guess, 4GB?[/quote]

8 gb.

Really I dont think its that far off. Some people on cag have found them for less on cl. Especially when the 3g go for 200 as well

Assuming it's in good condition, that's not bad at all. That leads me to believe that the average person on craigslist is someone in desperate need of cash to pay bills or whatnot, and will take whatever they can get for it.

[quote name='lmz00']Assuming it's in good condition, that's not bad at all. That leads me to believe that the average person on craigslist is someone in desperate need of cash to pay bills or whatnot, and will take whatever they can get for it.[/quote]

Not always the case... usually around here its douchebags asking for insane amount of cash.

I am curious as to how buying a 3g on cl would work. Would i have to take the phone to att to activate? Can I use the 3g without the 3g plan?

My company's AT&T buisness site now offers iphones online :whee:...maybe next payday. Says it ships within 7-10 days.

Oh snap, I get a discount on data too 23.xx :whee: :whee:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='LinkinPrime']My company's AT&T buisness site now offers iphones online :whee:...maybe next payday. Says it ships within 7-10 days.

Oh snap, I get a discount on data too 23.xx :whee: :whee:[/QUOTE]

awsome!

Anyone have problems with their phone on a Netgear router?

It's not a problem with my wifi, because I can connect fine on other connections.

When I connect to my Netgear (it's a hidden network, if that makes any difference) it goes SUPER slow.

I set it to a static IP, and it worked fine....for about 30 minutes, then went back to being super slow :/

Any ideas?

not sure, you do have to make a free account with them.
and it says: "on your computer, remote music appears right within iTunes"

Says it works over Edge even.

[quote name='dallow']get this[/quote]

I just got an iPhone and it is fucking awesome.

I downloaded the free app, Pandora Radio, and it is amazing. The music is really high quality or at least as far as I can tell.

had mine for over 3 weeks now definitely worth it. jailbroke mine last week, i thought i would install a new theme but after trying out 5 or so ended up with the stock theme with different carrier and wifi logos. Its cool having a stock phone w/ a theme..but once u add items from the appstore it looks like shit.

Boxoffice - movie reviews and theaters playing, ratings by Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic
SportsTap - all sports scores nice and easy.
Twinkle - if you use twitter its a solid app.
Tris - solid tetris game. I had problems w/ the controls at first but its free so whatever.
PapiJump - easy game, controls are very solid
BJ Run Lite - fun blackjack game, play 5 hands, requires some speed.
Shazam - music identifier, could be handy for those times when i dont know a song...only used it for shit i know already. Just waiting for that one time...
Pandora - probably gonna die soon thanks to the RIAA but streaming internet radio.

Those are some free apps I have used and kept. hopefully something you will enjoy.

Also does anyone know a good way to upload photos to the internet? I am currently using flickr but I gotta take a picture, go back to home, click photo, pick my photo, email, send to the "mobile flickr email" and send. Seems stupid there isn't an easier way.

NY Times - news
Showtimes - movie times/listings
Urban Spoon - restaurant finder
AIM - self explanatory
Facebook - mobile facebook app, very well designed
Shazam - as mentioned above
Pandora - as mentioned above
Restaurant Nutrition - calorie guide for popular eateries
Aurora Feint - awesome free game

[quote name='naiku']Boxoffice - movie reviews and theaters playing, ratings by Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic
SportsTap - all sports scores nice and easy.
Twinkle - if you use twitter its a solid app.
Tris - solid tetris game. I had problems w/ the controls at first but its free so whatever.
PapiJump - easy game, controls are very solid
BJ Run Lite - fun blackjack game, play 5 hands, requires some speed.
Shazam - music identifier, could be handy for those times when i dont know a song...only used it for shit i know already. Just waiting for that one time...
Pandora - probably gonna die soon thanks to the RIAA but streaming internet radio.

Those are some free apps I have used and kept. hopefully something you will enjoy.

Also does anyone know a good way to upload photos to the internet? I am currently using flickr but I gotta take a picture, go back to home, click photo, pick my photo, email, send to the "mobile flickr email" and send. Seems stupid there isn't an easier way.[/QUOTE]

i upload a lot to facebook's mobile uploads album.

Here's the new Nano coming out-

new-nano.jpg

Latest rumors:

- Revamp of entire iPod line.
- Small cosmetic changes to Touch, Nano to see significant redesign (see pic below).
- iPods to see fairly large price drops to distance itself from the $199 iPhone.
- iPod touch 2.1 software, iPhone to get update very soon after.
- iTunes 8.0 ("it's a big update w/new features").
- All of this coming in the next 2-3 weeks.

As the title says, I'm thinking of getting an iPhone. But here's the clincher. I'm not on AT&T, so I'd need to unlock it or get one that is already unlocked. I did some googling, and unlocking it by myself doesn't sound like too hard of a task. And I know that I might need to avoid software updates because they might brick it. I'm curious though, what are the main differences between iPhone generations, I'd like to hear from people with experience who have upgraded their iPhone. And ultimately what I'd like to know is would I be wasting my time going through the whole process? Is the phone truly worth? To me it seems like it would be, but maybe I'm only buying into media hype? Blah. Any opinions/help on my "issue" would be appreciated. Thanks.

I honestly don't know how much of the iPhone's capabilities are tied with the data plans you have, but I would look into the costs of that at your service provider and see if it's worth it. AT&T has the only 3G network, too, right, so you'll be missing out on that, as well.

I'll admit, it's a sleek piece of technology, but I don't have one. Quite happy with my Nokia N95 and having T-Mobile, even that's tied down on what it can do because of my service plan.

Get a first generation iPhone off craigslist and unlock it. If you have T-Mobile, you can get all the internet services for really cheap, and honestly, EDGE is fast enough. 3G is cool, but it drains the battery if you leave it on. The gadget itself is a fine piece of hotness, but I have one major gripe: the speaker is super fucking quiet. If I had known it was this quiet, I might not have bought it in the first place.

my brother has the 1st gen i have a 3g. he complains about the volume of his, i have no issues with mine. mine is substantially faster, though i borrowed his for a week before i had mine and it was plenty fast. i like the feel of mine a bit more. there are differences though theyre not anything i would mention if i had not used them both.
one major issue is his is unlocked and on tmobile mine is on att his is $15 a month cheaper if i recall. though i dont really care. im so satisfied with the phone its of no concern.

he is planning on selling his 1st gen and upgrading to the 3g in a couple months.

also i was unable to find anything that would unlock the 3g, theres plenty to jailbreak it, but from what ive read they havent been able to unlock it just yet.

UM... I love my 3G! It's pretty awesome. My 3G network is amazingly fast, and where I'm at, there's tons of wifi hotspots, so I get free internet a lot of the time on the road. The GPS feature is a bit lacking, but that's cause I can't find a good app for this country. The batteries last for a good period of time, unless you're using it as an iPod... when I use it at the gym, for 2 hours of straight music, and the 30 minute ride home, I lose 1/5 of the battery. If you're planning on using it to surf the web all day, you'll get about 8 hours, or at least I did. It comes with a wall plug, and you can buy a car adaptor... so unless youre trapped in a well, and need the internet,... you'll get at least 2 days or so with it on. With it off, which I have done only 3 days, it stays charged up, so no problem there.
The speaker is plenty loud, unless you're driving with the windows down, then it just sucks.... but why would you need a loud speaker on it? Just plug in the headphones. The back doesn't scratch, the camera takes great pics, the microphone is great... and with Quickvoice for $2, you have a great voice recorder.
The price is wonderfully cheap for all the functionality, on a gorgeous gadget, but the contract does suck. It's the same here in Japan as in the States, it's SoftBank here... but it pays for itself imo.
If you do get one, either generation, download Aurora Feint for free... it is an amazing free RPG type puzzle game, and it will suck away your toilet time, or other waits :)

I love my iPhone, unlike Maddox... but he has a lot of fans, so expect to see them surface soon :O

Best of luck :)

I used Iplus 2.0 to unlock my iphone for tmobile, really it is idiot proof, you just need to hook it up and run the program. I have a first gen 8 gb iphone , previous phone was the T-mobile Wing and before that the Dash and I like it much better then those two due to built in storage and faster typing using the touch screen. In your case OP ask yourself what are you going to use it for, video, music, image viewer even? Constant texting or will this just be a phone and nothing else to you?

My recommendation is start looking up programs you can download to the phone, read up on the features. If it seems like something you would enjoy and use then go for it. If you keep going I would never use that , that or even that then pick another phone.

edit: Oh and I don't have any volume problems either

I was eating up the iphone hype early summer and considering letting my Verizon contract run out so I could grab one. I ended up grabbing the LG Dare (an EXTREMELY simplified iphone clone). The things that intrigued me about an iphone (big screen, touch and motion sensitive, decent internet browser, and some other things) were features on the Dare as well. Though I know the iphone is extremely powerful, I'm not sure I would be using most of the features and am quite satisfied with what I have now.

In the end, it worked out quite well since we have a friend visit where we live who doesn't get signal on her iphone while she's over. *THAT* would have been a deal breaker for me.

For the web browsing ALONE, you should get it. But keep in mind, you have to stomach a $35/month fee for the data plan and text on TOP of w/e voice plan you have. But other than that, it's truly an awesome phone.

Thanks so much for the responses. I'm also on Tmobile, so it's reassuring to hear that other people are on it and using their iPhone with no issues. I don't really care about the 3g internet. I would like to downsize on the technology I keep on me, so I'd use it for the MP3 part of it as well, so there's a good chance I'd grab a 16 gig. But it sounds like I want to get a first gen, which is what I thought. But yeah, I'm in it for a music player, texting, videos/pictures, and honestly, this really cool app I saw a buddy of mine use where it swung it around and it sounded like a lightsaber :drool:

bread's done
Back