Apple WWDC 2008 - 3G iPhones - 8GB = $199 16GB = $299 (AKA iPhone Thread)

[quote name='sony guy']Can verify that there are AIM, iChat, Myspace, etc. applications in development. Should show up at the AppStore at launch.[/QUOTE]whee!
Been wanting some official non-buggy apps.

Question...if i'm already an AT&T person, and I want to get this new iPhone...do all I do is just purchase it and it'll worki with my existing plan?

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']Question...if i'm already an AT&T person, and I want to get this new iPhone...do all I do is just purchase it and it'll worki with my existing plan?[/QUOTE]

Assuming you are not already an iPhone owner, you will be forced to upgrade your current voice plan to an iPhone plan which includes voice and data. You will also be forced to reset your contract to two years.

I just heard that text messaging is no longer included in the base iPhone service plan. It is now a separate feature that you have to pay for. Have any of you heard this? Any truth?

[quote name='daphatty']I just heard that text messaging is no longer included in the base iPhone service plan. It is now a separate feature that you have to pay for. Have any of you heard this? Any truth?[/QUOTE]

Text message isnt included anymore with the new iPhone 3G. SMS = Text Messaging

iphone3gpricecomp2.png

Well, since the subject of the thread is the iPhone, and I just bought one off of eBay yesterday, thanks to their 35% off sale, can anyone on CAG with an unlocked iPhone recommend a program? It seems like there are tons to choose from.

I know it didn't on the original Iphone, but with this new pricing for the phone and att plan, will corporate discounts be allowed? My wife works at bank of america, and both apple and at&t offer discounts to boa employee's. I could save a shitload on a mac computer, and the at&t service plans for most phones is 20% off. So are they going to be allowing the discounts to take affect on the new plan/pricing they have setup?

[quote name='ryanbph']I know it didn't on the original Iphone, but with this new pricing for the phone and att plan, will corporate discounts be allowed? My wife works at bank of america, and both apple and at&t offer discounts to boa employee's. I could save a shitload on a mac computer, and the at&t service plans for most phones is 20% off. So are they going to be allowing the discounts to take affect on the new plan/pricing they have setup?[/QUOTE]

Several people in this thread have stated that corporate discounts won't apply. I think LinkinPrime specifically looked into it and got a "no" response.

I hope AT&T announces something like this here. I wouldn't mind getting the paperwork started early so I can simply walk in on launch day and get my phone. :)

[quote name='lmz00']Well, since the subject of the thread is the iPhone, and I just bought one off of eBay yesterday, thanks to their 35% off sale, can anyone on CAG with an unlocked iPhone recommend a program? It seems like there are tons to choose from.[/quote]

Ziphone is the best one to use nice and simple

Well, I unlocked the phone. Too bad I can't place my SIM card in it, since I don't have a damn paper clip. I tried a mechanical pencil, but the lead kept breaking. :(

[quote name='daphatty']Several people in this thread have stated that corporate discounts won't apply. I think LinkinPrime specifically looked into it and got a "no" response.[/quote]

I had gotten an email today from apple talking about if you get corporate discounts w/ At&t to get the phone thru them. I contacted At&t. At least for the bank of america plan, you will get 15% off the monthly voice bill. There are no discounts for the data plan at this time. But 15% is not bad I guess. Not as good as what I was getting w/verizon thru boa. So I guess you should check with your corporate policy w/att.

[quote name='bobthecat23']Ziphone is the best one to use nice and simple[/quote]
Do you know how to get rid of the Installer application?

[quote name='guyver2077']while on the topic.. anyone know where is the best site to get freeware java applications for the phone?[/QUOTE]

Java's not supported. Unless you meant unofficially, in which case tell me more! Lack of Java support is my main gripe at this point. Supposedly Sun's trying to get a version released for the iPhone, but Apple's not allowing it.

[quote name='lmz00']Do you know how to get rid of the Installer application?[/quote]
Uhh, that's one you want to keep.
Best way to install new apps.

Reviews of the iPhone 3G disappointed me, I'll be able to wait until I can find non-contract 3G that I can unlock myself.

The 2.0 FW and app store are the more exciting things really.

[quote name='dallow']Uhh, that's one you want to keep.
Best way to install new apps.[/quote]
All I wanted to do was unlock the phone. I don't really care for homebrew apps.

In the menu, there's only an option to reinstall it. :(

so whats the latest info.. where are the 3g reviews..

ive had the sciphone i68 (iclone) for two weeks now and im about to sell it.. the gprs internet was painful and i honestly couldnt find too many java applications that would work..

may use that cash toward the 3g

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dallow']I read 3 reviews. They stink.
Gimped GPS FTL.[/quote]

quite dissapointing.. but how bout everything else? i think i will be happy..having edge again plus a good/decent cam and internet browser are major pluses

nice quotes...

Mossberg: “If you’ve been waiting to buy an iPhone until it dropped in price, or ran on faster cell networks, you might want to take the plunge, if you can live with the higher service costs and the weaker battery life. The same goes for those with existing iPhones who love the device but crave faster cellular data speeds. But if you already own an iPhone, and can usually use Wi-Fi for data, you probably should hold off and get the free software upgrade before deciding whether it’s worth getting the new hardware.” (link)

Pogue: “So the iPhone 3G is a nice upgrade. It more than keeps pace with advancing technology, and new buyers will generally be delighted….But it’s not so much better that it turns all those original iPhones into has-beens. Indeed, the really big deal is the iPhone 2.0 software and the App Store, neither of which requires buying a new iPhone. That twist may come as a refreshing surprise to planned-obsolescence conspiracy theorists — and everyone who stood in line last year.” (link)

Baig: “Extra, extra: iPhone 3G: The Sequel, is worth the wait….It’s cheaper, faster and a lot friendlier for business. Apple’s blockbuster smartphone already had nifty features such as visual voicemail, a splendid built-in video iPod and the best mobile Web browser I’ve ever used. With GPS newly added to the mix, this handheld marvel has no equal among consumer-oriented smartphones.” (link)

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid452319854/bctid1655783605

Aside from the lacking GPS, and one little bug with the business email syncing, it's a nice upgrade.

I wanted GPS the most though, so I can wait. The app store should make me happy for a while.

[quote name='dallow']I read 3 reviews. They stink.
Gimped GPS FTL.[/quote]

I just read some of the reviews...Granted I skimmed thru them, but it didn't appear that 2 of the 3 said anything really bad about the gps. Only 1 of them did.

If you were refering to the lack of voice directions, allegedly the big gps companies are working on software for it. I am fairly sure garmin and tom tom have committed to having turn by turn voice direction software app to be available soon.

If only the iPhone worked with UMA. I feel like I've taken a step back in time whenever I lose my signal. :(

I also wish they'd hurry up and release a 32GB version, which I'm assuming/hoping will be out in time for the holidays.

App store is up but I can't play anything yet. :(
Tons of games on there 160+.

[quote name='ryanbph']I just read some of the reviews...Granted I skimmed thru them, but it didn't appear that 2 of the 3 said anything really bad about the gps. Only 1 of them did.

If you were refering to the lack of voice directions, allegedly the big gps companies are working on software for it. I am fairly sure garmin and tom tom have committed to having turn by turn voice direction software app to be available soon.[/quote]
Tom Tom last I read shelved their plans about the GPS software for iPhone after learning more about the specs.

We'll see if it ever comes about, I really hope so. The Instinct has it, and it works quite well.

Actually, you can play them now.
Here's the 2.0 FW early.

Mod Note: URL Removed by DaPhatty. Sorry but this could get Cheapy into trouble. You can repost the link after FW 2.0 is officially released.

something that turned me off was the supposed worse battery life... man that blows..

And I bet the phone does not use your typical mini usb cables (which blows)

It's gonna use the same iPod cables that all those products use.
You can also turn off 3G which doubles the battery life.

[quote name='dallow']It's gonna use the same iPod cables that all those products use.
You can also turn off 3G which doubles the battery life.[/QUOTE]

Kinda defeats the purpose of getting the 3G version then. That DOES blow about the battery life.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Is it still possible to use the T-Mobile EDGE network on an unlocked 2G iPhone?[/quote]Why wouldn't it be? Mine has been working fine.

[quote name='bobthecat23']does a jailbroken iphone even matter anymore? i just want to be able to unlock it[/quote]Amen.

I think I'll go ahead and upgrade. The worst that could happen is that I'll have to go back to using my Curve until they come out with a new unlocking program.

We lose all of our contacts? That blows. It took me like over an hour to put them in the first time. :cry:

[quote name='lmz00']Why wouldn't it be? Mine has been working fine.[/QUOTE]

Was it easy to get set-up? Do all the features work correctly? I signed a 2-year contract with T-Mobile (who I prefer to AT&T anyway) recently, so if everything is the same, I might just spring for an old iPhone handset. The FW upgrade is all I need, I can deal with mild-EDGE slowness. :p

Yeah, all you have to do is put "wap.voicestream.com" where it asks you for your EDGE settings. I have a BB plan, and thought I was going to have to pay another $5.99 on top of that, but thankfully I didn't.

bread's done
Back