Apple WWDC 2008 - 3G iPhones - 8GB = $199 16GB = $299 (AKA iPhone Thread)

[quote name='KillJoi99']Who ever thought this was coming sometime this week is fucking retarded. Plus a month come on that isnt shit to wait.[/QUOTE]

Apple it known to have the new devices they announce immediately for sale right after the keynote.

I forget: if you buy at the Apple retail store, do they make you sign up for the service contract right there and then, or do they just refer to AT&T with the caveat that the phone won't work until it's "activated" by the cell provider?

Cool device. Make sure you know what your signing up for before you go.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/...th-for-data/index.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

June 9, 2008, 3:49 pm
The Cost of the $199 iPhone: $10 More Per Month for Data

By Saul Hansell

The biggest news from Apple is what Steve Jobs didn’t say: It has completely changed the basis of its deals with AT&T and other wireless carriers.

According to a press release from AT&T, the carrier will no longer give a portion of monthly usage fees to Apple. Instead carriers will pay Apple a subsidy for each phone sold, in order to bring the price from $399 down to $199 for the 8 Gigabyte model. The company did not specify the amount of the subsidy. Subsidies of $200 to $300 are common in the industry.

What is more, consumers will now pay $30 a month for unlimited data service from AT&T, compared to $20 under the plan introduced last year. So even though the phone will now cost $200, consumers will be out more cash at the end of a two-year contract compared to the previous deal.

Of course, that includes faster 3G data service, so the price increase may be worth it. But we should call it an iPhone price increase, not a cut.

Unlimited data service for business users will cost $45 a month.

AT&T says the shift to upfront subsidies will cut into profits to the tune of 10 cents to 12 cents per share, both this year and next. As the number of customers paying the higher monthly bills increases, the phone company says profit per share will start to increase in 2010.

AT&T also said in its release that it now has 3G data service in 280 metropolitan areas, and that will increase to 350 areas by the end of the year.

For Apple, this move to getting all its money up front has several advantages. By using the same economic model as every other cell phone maker, it makes it easier to bring the phone to carriers in every corner of the world.

It also should help insulate Apple from the cost of people who buy iPhones and unlock them to use on carriers that don’t pay Apple the monthly fee. Now Apple will get its money, say $500, up front and it no longer has to police what people do with them. Whether Apple will still keep penalizing users who unlock their phones is one of the many questions that remain to be answered.

Indeed, Apple has just filed a short disclosure with the Securities and Exchange Commission saying that outside of the United States and a few other countries, its deals with carriers are not exclusive.

Apple has signed multi-year agreements with carriers authorizing them to distribute and provide network services for iPhones in over 70 countries. These agreements are generally not exclusive with a specific carrier, except in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Spain, Ireland, and certain other countries. Under the vast majority of these agreements, Apple will not receive follow-on revenue generating payments from carriers for the new iPhone 3G beyond the purchase of the device by carriers or a commission on sales of the device by Apple. Apple will continue to receive payments from cellular network providers related to first-generation iPhones as long as they remain active on authorized networks.

[quote name='Moxio']Yeah but that's $120 I'd rather have in my pocket.[/QUOTE]

Then buy an old iPhone and pay $20 a month for EDGE.

[quote name='zewone']Then buy an old iPhone and pay $20 a month for EDGE.[/quote]

But bitching and whining on the internet is fun!!! :cry:

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']I was planning on spending $500 on the phone so an extra $120 with a $300 phone is okay with me[/QUOTE]

I'm rather sure that you will need a 2 year contract so it would be an extra $240...

[quote name='KillJoi99']Who ever thought this was coming sometime this week is fucking retarded. Plus a month come on that isnt shit to wait.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, you're an idiot. Apple usually has products available immediately after announcing them. For them to pre-announce something a month out is unusual.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']Is it possible to use an iPhone's features without service?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you could only use wi-fi for internet service. It'll be just like an iPod Touch.

You have to Jailbreak it though, which is easy.

[quote name='zewone']Yes, but you could only use wi-fi for internet service. It'll be just like an iPod Touch.

You have to Jailbreak it though, which is easy.[/quote]
Thanks! My brother is looking for an iPod touch for cheap. I might tell him to do this.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']Thanks! My brother is looking for an iPod touch for cheap. I might tell him to do this.[/quote]
ntm it has the camera which the touch doesnt

[quote name='keithp']With all due respect, you're an idiot. Apple usually has products available immediately after announcing them. For them to pre-announce something a month out is unusual.[/quote]

OWNED! KillJoi you just got beat! I think they wanted to build the hype more. Now people have about a month to get even more excited...

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']OWNED! KillJoi you just got beat! I think they wanted to build the hype more. Now people have about a month to get even more excited...[/QUOTE]

The investors won't. Stocks went down 4%. They were about as disappointed as I was :lol:

Get ready to take it in the ass if you own a Gen1 iPhone and want a Gen2 version.

You can only buy from a PHYSICAL Apple or AT&T store. Period.
The phone HAS to be activated before you leave.
Data plan is now $10 more for 3G owners.
You will have to sign a new 2 year agreement to even buy Gen2 iPhone. It will erase 1 year from you're previous contract so instead of having 1 year left (if you signed up for AT&T when the iPhone came out), you will now start over at 2.

Wow. Right up the ass.

So $120 extra a year for 3G,
and if you are a Gen1 owner you are forced to sign an additional year giving them another $80 a month....nice. Thanks for mentioning all of that at you're keynote, you piece of shit Steve.

Keep dreaming.

[quote name='hec204']Does this mean that the iPod touch will be going down to $150?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GizmoGC']So $120 extra a year for 3G,
and if you are a Gen1 owner you are forced to sign an additional year giving them another $80 a month....nice. Thanks for mentioning all of that at you're keynote, you piece of shit Steve.[/quote]

Yeah that $199 price doesn't look so appealing anymore since it is more like a $439 iPhone. I would totally jump on the bandwagon if they came out with a $40 plan that includes fewer bells and whistles. I believe their most basic plan with unlimited Internet is $60 (though now it becomes $70).

[quote name='hec204']Does this mean that the iPod touch will be going down to $150?[/quote]

No I thought it would go down too but after doing some research, the price of the iPhone hasn't gone down due to it being cheaper to produce. The price went down because the carriers are eating the cost from what I read. Which means the iPod touch won't have a dramatic price reduction.

An extra $10 a month doesn't hurt that bad for the extra speed unless I'm missing something.

Does any know if you can connect the never iphone to your laptop for mobile web? Sometimes I need to look things up faster than typing on that small screen. From what the AT&T store told me you can't do that with the current phone.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Get ready to take it in the ass if you own a Gen1 iPhone and want a Gen2 version.

You can only buy from a PHYSICAL Apple or AT&T store. Period.
The phone HAS to be activated before you leave.
Data plan is now $10 more for 3G owners.
You will have to sign a new 2 year agreement to even buy Gen2 iPhone. It will erase 1 year from you're previous contract so instead of having 1 year left (if you signed up for AT&T when the iPhone came out), you will now start over at 2.

Wow. Right up the ass.[/QUOTE]

And of course, Apple (and AT&T) is laughing all the way to the bank.

I can't say I'm surprised, considering the phone is subsidized by AT&T, but this is certainly going to discourage people from buying a gen. 2 iPhone just to jailbreak. I wouldn't be surprised if the resale price on gen. 1 iPhones drops very little, if any.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Thanks for mentioning all of that at you're keynote, you piece of shit Steve.[/quote]

as excited as I am I feel inclined to agree with you. He really omitted alot...

[quote name='keithp']With all due respect, you're an idiot. Apple usually has products available immediately after announcing them. For them to pre-announce something a month out is unusual.[/quote]

You're right, if i remember correctly they've only done this with the first iphone and the apple tv, at least in recent years. I didn't expect the iphone 3G to go on sale for about a month tho. Imagine the chaos that would've cause if he said available today. Websites would be crashing and stores would be getting stampedes of people running in.

[quote name='TC']Is this one going to have A2DP?[/quote]

i really hope so but the odds are slim, that new headphone jack makes me skeptical. Although A2DP, can be added with an update to the firmware. I remember the American Nokia N75 did not have A2DP but I updated it with European firmware to get it.

this may have been mentioned but I would assume there has to be something happening this week with IPOD's. With the phone only being 200 for 8 there are gonna either have to drop the prices of the current touches, release something new, simply have nobody buy them being a bad deal with the price of the phones. I think apple is got something special for us though because of all those crates that shipped over. Im hoping for something with simple ipods and hopefully either a 100 gig classic or an overhaul. Im really hoping for WHITE IPOD's.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']this may have been mentioned but I would assume there has to be something happening this week with IPOD's. With the phone only being 200 for 8 there are gonna either have to drop the prices of the current touches, release something new, simply have nobody buy them being a bad deal with the price of the phones. I think apple is got something special for us though because of all those crates that shipped over. Im hoping for something with simple ipods and hopefully either a 100 gig classic or an overhaul. Im really hoping for WHITE IPOD's.[/quote]

Yeah, something good needs to happen for people to still buy ipods, these iphones are ridiculously cheap compared to an ipod, yeah you have to pay a monthly fee but if apple doesn't do something their ipod sales will go down.
*crosses fingers for discount*

[quote name='Chris Dillon']Im really hoping for WHITE IPOD's.[/QUOTE]

You're probably more right than you think. The next logical step in the Touch's evolution will be color versions. If the iPhone can come in White, why can't the touch?

WOW, I checked ebay and it's already being flooded with pre-orders for the iphone going upwards of $600....W....T....F

So awesome, I'm in for a 16GB...the one thing I can't stand is having to freaking camp out in line. I think I may wait and see. If its a matter of camping for a few hours, fine, but I'm not sleeping overnight anywhere to pay someone.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']this may have been mentioned but I would assume there has to be something happening this week with IPOD's.[/quote]

i didnt think there would be because they are having the free ipod promotion for students and teachers and pricedrops/new models would screw all of that up...

[quote name='Synergy']So awesome, I'm in for a 16GB...the one thing I can't stand is having to freaking camp out in line. I think I may wait and see. If its a matter of camping for a few hours, fine, but I'm not sleeping overnight anywhere to pay someone.[/QUOTE]

Something tells me this won't be as bad as it was last time. You can now purchase the iPhone at AT&T stores which opens up the purchasing options quite a bit. I have at least three AT&T stores within a few miles of my house, all of which are closer than the nearest Apple store. I plan on visiting one of those stores first.

The one question I have is, "Will I be able to transfer my current phone number to AT&T?" It's a deal breaker if they can't.

Plus, the iPhone release date is only 2 days from my T-mo billing date. I'd hate to have to double pay...

I still think Xperia > iPhone. :cool:

Though I will admit iPhone + jailbreak + cheap data = $.

Think it would work with Sprint SERO? :lol:

3giphoneofficialpic10.jpg

^
true but the black macbook picks up oil/greese like a sponge. hopefully the back of the iphone doesn't get fugly or else the mr.clean magic eraser will have some extra work.

im definitely going to buy a 16gb black version. I might wait a few weeks after it comes out to see if it gets jailbroken & if there is a app to have OS X use the device as a modem. verizon contract ends in mid august ^^

[quote name='Liquid 2']Black electronics >>> white electronics.

I hope black's an option.[/QUOTE]

I like the White version but the Black model will match my Samsung PC monitor nicely (It's the design that resembles the LCD TVs).

[quote name='naiku']& if there is a app to have OS X use the device as a modem. verizon contract ends in mid august ^^[/QUOTE]

If the Gen1 iPhone plan is any indication then using your iPhone as a modem (i.e. tethering to a laptop) will not be allowed and could be a violation of your AT&T contract.

bread's done
Back