Apple WWDC 2008 - 3G iPhones - 8GB = $199 16GB = $299 (AKA iPhone Thread)

[quote name='Haggar']$199 iPhone is crazy tempting, but I use a pre-paid phone right now. I normally spend $20-$30 a month for service.

The data plan for an iPhone is crazy expensive, right? And even if there was some $40 plan I'm sure it would be crippled.

What are you current iPhone owners paying if you don't mind me asking. I have a customer that has one, and he said he's paying $125 a month for data, but his girlfriend said it was closer to $200. I can't imagine anyone spending that much a month on a cell phone plan.[/QUOTE]

What the hell plan are your friends on?

I pay $50 a month for my phone plan and $20 for my internet plan on my iPhone.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Unlimited data plan for the iPhone is $20/month. :whistle2:|[/quote]

And with 3G they are now going to be worth it! I need to start saving up now and camping out in a couple of days;)

Is the 3G plan still goin' to be the same price? For some reason, I thought I would have to get a new internet plan.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I really dont see the issue... the edge network is fast enough... I mean, it could ALWAYS be faster, like a computer could ALWAYS be beefer to play whatever game... but it's fast enough.

I do think it should of had a Video Camera... but I dont regret buying it one bit, It's the best phone I've ever had. The OS needs some work, but who expects Gen 1 shit to beat out all the minor features of every single phone on the market? Idiots.[/QUOTE]

jailbreak it and ure have the video camera

[quote name='zewone']Is the 3G plan still goin' to be the same price? For some reason, I thought I would have to get a new internet plan.[/quote]

I don't see any reason why. ATT already has a bunch of 3G phones and the network.

[quote name='zewone']Is the 3G plan still goin' to be the same price? For some reason, I thought I would have to get a new internet plan.[/quote]

Yeah, I have a data plan and my Nokia N75 supports 3g and I didn't have to change to another plan. But then off course apple and AT&T always like to make more money.

[quote name='zewone']Is the 3G plan still goin' to be the same price? For some reason, I thought I would have to get a new internet plan.[/QUOTE]Yes, I think their generic medianet unlimited data plan is 3G and still only $20/month.

i am more interested in what the street price will be for these phones.. i really dont want to extend my contract and would rather just purchase one from someone and insert my sim card

[quote name='H-Town Info']I wish T-mobile has 3G. At least on T-mobile, I did the EDGE hack on the Iphone and only pay 6 bucks a month for unlimited internet.[/quote]
That's what I do currently.
It's surprisingly quick with Google Maps.
And text sites aren't that bad for loading up.

[quote name='guyver2077']i am more interested in what the street price will be for these phones.. i really dont want to extend my contract and would rather just purchase one from someone and insert my sim card[/QUOTE]

Then why don't you cut out the middle man?

If they sell them the same way they sell current iPhones, then you activate at home.
Just jailbreak it.

is there a pro rated early termination fee for verizon...I have untill aug 15th, I have $500 in apple gift cards, and it would be nice to get an 3giphone around the launch of it...I had read that some companies were offering a pro rater termination fee, I wouldn't mind dropping $20 or so dollars to quit a month early. I have been sitting on these cards for about 6 months

[quote name='guyver2077']i am more interested in what the street price will be for these phones.. i really dont want to extend my contract and would rather just purchase one from someone and insert my sim card[/quote]

So you can just extend an existing contract and get the phone? I still have about a year to go on my current one.

For those that want to get the most out of selling their Gen1 phones...Unlock them.

By the time the new iPhones come out, there will be no way to unlock them for other carriers right away so they may command a premium over normal ones.

If they do sell them like that, then it's day 1 purchase for me for the 16GB.
I'll give the current 8GB to my mom I think.

Would it be better to get a ATT phone/plan now then add the $20 data plan later?

I would get the $60 iPhone plan(450 min, unlimited data, 200 texts, 5000 N&W) if I activated it through Itunes.

I already have a Moto Q with 450 SERO plan, so the texts/N&W wouldn't bother me. My contract ends in April 09, and then I'd bump my plan up a level or 2 then

[quote name='eliter1']So you can just extend an existing contract and get the phone? I still have about a year to go on my current one.[/quote]

well i dont know exactly what "upgrade" price att would offer. All i know is that my contract is up and I am free to cancel. I have been real close to cancelling since my job provides me with a phone but I like to have my "personal" line and ive wanted an iphone. I sold my 3g att 8525 earlier this year because i was ready to cancel my contract but now im stuck with a shitty phone until i upgrade

The "upgrade" link is available when i log into att.com but the iphones are currently oos.

[quote name='zewone']My iPhone is unlocked, but I feel like I'll have a hard time selling it.[/quote]

Same, I actually don't really use my jailbroken iphone that much. Haven't put any apps on it in a while.

I am currently waiting for it to get here so that I can extend my contract for another 2 yeas to get the reduced price. Can't decide though if I want a white or black 16gb.

[quote name='guyver2077']well i dont know exactly what "upgrade" price att would offer. All i know is that my contract is up and I am free to cancel.

The "upgrade" link is available when i log into att.com but the iphones are currently oos.[/quote]

My contract isn't up yet, only been about 8 months, but when I log in to att.com it does say I can upgrade my iphone to any phone with the reduced price. So, i'm not really sure how that works, but I know that I can, which I hope to do once the new iphones are out.

[quote name='guyver2077']well i dont know exactly what "upgrade" price att would offer. All i know is that my contract is up and I am free to cancel. I have been real close to cancelling since my job provides me with a phone but I like to have my "personal" line and ive wanted an iphone. I sold my 3g att 8525 earlier this year because i was ready to cancel my contract but now im stuck with a shitty phone until i upgrade

The "upgrade" link is available when i log into att.com but the iphones are currently oos.[/quote]

I am going to ask next time I go into a AT&T store, if not I'm going to have to get a new contract.

I guess now would be the time to sell my 3rd generation iPod nano. If an 8GB iPhone is going to sell for $199, I'd imagine the iPod touch to sell for $150, rendering the 8GB iPod nano to be worth $100?

[quote name='GizmoGC']Guyver,

The Gen2 phones are not out and the MSRP of the 8GB/16GB is still the same. They can sell them for whatever price they want as supply will dry up for those that want a Gen1 for unlocking.

If you want to Jailbreak you're phone, it takes 45 seconds
http://lifehacker.com/370532/jailbreak-any-iphone-or-ipod-touch-in-45-seconds[/quote]

Right I know.. I expect the price on the gen1 phones to continue to be high for a bit longer until these new ones come out.

I don't really care about unlocking at this point since I have att. I would ofcourse unlock it though if i wanted to sell it.

I think I'm going to wait for the next iPhone revision. 2.5 or whatever since I want at least 32gb and don't find the 3g worth it (wireless networks surround me for the most part). The GPS isn't turn by turn like a car's navigation is so that's disappointing too.

8GB was enough for me...so for $100 more I'll get 16GB just to be safe. I have tons of free movies thanks to them being packed inside Blu-rays so...why not?

i sold the free 8 gig touch i got for $250 yesterday!!!!

Thank goodness I did that fast- i cant see them selling for that anymore...

I have two complaints:
2 megapixels sucks
No 32 gig model...

Yay, finally a price cut on these things! Hopefully whenever they work out the next gen jailbreak, I'll finally be able to afford one. :p

[quote name='JJSP']I -just- picked up the BB Curve from AT&T a week ago. Dammit.[/quote]

You have like 30 days to cancel, I know a friend canceled, he said the he didn't like the phone or the service.

[quote name='crazytalkx']I think I'm going to wait for the next iPhone revision. 2.5 or whatever since I want at least 32gb and don't find the 3g worth it (wireless networks surround me for the most part). The GPS isn't turn by turn like a car's navigation is so that's disappointing too.[/quote]

it has turn by turn directions, I just don't think that it is read to you like a normal car gps, which does suck

Damn, I paid $425 for my 16GB touch back in February (12 months No Interest).

Oh well, I love the thing, and I only pay $20 a month for phone service. $50-$70 a month, or whatever it is would be tough to swallow.

Hmmmm...a question: I have a current iPhone and my GF wants one. Do you guys think if I buy the new one and give my GF the old phone (she doesn't care about 3G or GPS), will it work by simply switching SIM cards?

ryanbph

yes, Verizon DOES have a pro-rated early termination fee. I cancelled my service back in March so I could get a 1Gen iPhone. Totally worth every cent. In fact, with the iPhone my monthly bill dropped actually compared to Verizon's crazy monthly Internet fees. I'm really tempted to sell my current 1Gen iPhone now and get a 3G model, but I'm not sure I can go a full month without a cell phone....doh! Decisions, decisions...

For anyone who might be interested, I just called my local Apple store to find out if they would be doing some sort of pre-order or waiting list style purchase. The answer was a resolute "No" and I also was told that "Apple has yet to decide on a purchase plan." That probably means long lines and sell out situations.

I want an iPhone but I'll be damned if I wait in line for one...

[quote name='daphatty']For anyone who might be interested, I just called my local Apple store to find out if they would be doing some sort of pre-order or waiting list style purchase. The answer was a resolute "No" and I also was told that "Apple has yet to decide on a purchase plan." That probably means long lines and sell out situations.

I want an iPhone but I'll be damned if I wait in line for one...[/quote]

Bah...I'm not waiting in line either. If I have to wait till August to get one, I can wait.

It seems that if you bought or buy a current iPhone on or after May 27th, you can exchange it for a 3G iPhone for free.

I'm in for one. I am gonna have a Blackberry Curve with T-Mobile and an Iphone but I can't resist any longer especially at a 199 price point. Any word on their plans?
I'm gonna cancel my internet with my Crackberry and use the net on the iphone.

[quote name='zewone']It seems that if you bought or buy a current iPhone on or before May 27th, you can exchange it for a 3G iPhone for free.[/QUOTE]

Before? As in anybody that owned it before May 27?

Nevermind. It just says anybody that bought it on or after May 27 can exchange it for free.

Well apparently you can extend your contract and get the upgrade for the same price as everybody else. So it would replace your current contract instead of making it 3-4 years total.

bread's done
Back