Are all OTTs that bad? or is JJ just a failure at life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Rocko, if you're just needing an HDD to copy your files too when you install 7, I have an old 40 gig HDD laying around that I'm not using.

[quote name='JolietJake']This has probably been posted before, but i've never seen it. Pretty amazing just how much GS rips people off.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23396[/QUOTE]

It's one hell of a business model if you think about it.

And the best part is, it capitalizes on the idiots dumb enough to trade their shit in for minimal value.

More power to them for taking advantage of American idiocy.

None of the Blockbusters by me are doing the B1G1, and I got accused of breaking the law when I tried trading 2 360 controllers into Gamestop.

:whistle2:| @ Today

[quote name='marten']It's one hell of a business model if you think about it.

And the best part is, it capitalizes on the idiots dumb enough to trade their shit in for minimal value.

More power to them for taking advantage of American idiocy.[/QUOTE]
Thankfully the only shit i've given them was crap that was worthless anyway. It as a hell of a business model though, just don't think i could do it myself.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']None of the Blockbusters by me are doing the B1G1, and I got accused of breaking the law when I tried trading 2 360 controllers into Gamestop.

:whistle2:| @ Today[/QUOTE]
Between shit like that, the crappy customer service, and the shit trade in values, i can't believe anyone does business with GS.

I once had a bad sinus infection and the doctor wanted to give me a couple of shots along with the prescription. The nurse couldn't do it in the arm, so she ended up doing one in each hip.

I couldn't sit comfortably for the rest of the fucking day it was so sore.

[quote name='JolietJake']I once had a bad sinus infection and the doctor wanted to give me a couple of shots along with the prescription. The nurse couldn't do it in the arm, so she ended up doing one in each hip.

I couldn't sit comfortably for the rest of the fucking day it was so sore.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I got it in the upper arm, and it's not painful when I'm just sitting here, but if I try to grab something it hurts like a bitch.

[quote name='dcfox']Don't worry Wow, I think being a big puss is part of your charm.[/QUOTE]

Thanks buddy! :Grouphug:

[quote name='becuzimbrown']I'll sell ya some Vicodin Wow ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks brown, but I have some leftover oxycontin at home.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Hey Rocko, if you're just needing an HDD to copy your files too when you install 7, I have an old 40 gig HDD laying around that I'm not using.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure if that would be large enough. To install 7 I need to copy the entirety of my HDD to an external source and then import it back, right? I'm not on my computer (in PA now) but I'm fairly certain I've got more than 40 gigs used.

[quote name='Rocko']Buy an external.

Is the clean install a complicated or risky process? Because, if not, I could probably find a 250GB HD for like $40, and then it'd be like the same cost, but I'd have an HD and a clean install. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Buy the external drive and do a clean install. It's easy and then you'll have a external drive to back up all your shit.

If you went the other way, you'd have to reinstall winxp, then upgrade to vista, then upgrade to 7 anytime you had problems and decided to do a clean install.

Clean install is (just about [i only say this in case there's some reason i'm overlooking]) ALWAYS better than an upgrade.

[quote name='Rocko']I'm not sure if that would be large enough. To install 7 I need to copy the entirety of my HDD to an external source and then import it back, right? I'm not on my computer (in PA now) but I'm fairly certain I've got more than 40 gigs used.[/QUOTE]

No. That won't work.

When you do clean installs, you have to copy your data (MP3s, documents, images, bookmarks, whatever) over to the drive. Clean installs require you to reinstall all your software, so you don't need to bother copying that shit over (this is because program installations set registry keys and install services and such... if you just copy the program directory over, it might work or it might not function at all or it might be buggy as all fuck). So the size drive you need is pretty much (music + pictures + bookmarks + documents + save files + etc.)

Aha. So, while it's extra work, a clean install will also pretty much clean everything up as well. Appropriate. :lol:

I was looking at MS's website and there's a guide to update XP to 7, and it says that there's some program that automatically exports the shit I need. I forget what it's called. Should I use that when the time comes?

So basically, I'll have to reinstall everything from games like WoW to FF/Chrome to little things like last.fm? In that case I'll have to look through and make a list of everything I have installed so I remember what I need to re-DL.

Edit: I preordered Home Basic from Amazon because it was the cheapest. I don't really know what the benefits of the more expensive ones are, but I figure Home Basic should probably be adequate. I did opt for release day delivery, though. :x

[quote name='lordwow']Thanks brown, but I have some leftover oxycontin at home.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Maklershed needs to take a road trip to Boston.

[quote name='becuzimbrown']I still use Windows XP Home Edition...is that bad?[/QUOTE]

XP Pro is better, but the main difference there is that XP Pro has a bunch of networking stuff that home has stripped out -- I don't remember the other differences, but back when XP came out, I remember that being one of the bigger bullet points.

[quote name='Rocko']Aha. So, while it's extra work, a clean install will also pretty much clean everything up as well. Appropriate. :lol:

I was looking at MS's website and there's a guide to update XP to 7, and it says that there's some program that automatically exports the shit I need. I forget what it's called. Should I use that when the time comes?

So basically, I'll have to reinstall everything from games like WoW to FF/Chrome to little things like last.fm? In that case I'll have to look through and make a list of everything I have installed so I remember what I need to re-DL.

Edit: I preordered Home Basic from Amazon because it was the cheapest. I don't really know what the benefits of the more expensive ones are, but I figure Home Basic should probably be adequate. I did opt for release day delivery, though. :x[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Home Basic should be adequate for most people, I would think, though I'm not sure what the difference in the editions is this time.

As a heads up, a better approach (that will make your life 10x easier), would be to download the installer for any program you would put on your list. Just create a folder on your desktop called "installs" or something. Go out to FF/chrome/WoW and download any installer for a program you currently have. Then copy that folder to your external drive when you back the rest of your stuff up. You'll be able to just open up that folder and run one install after another instead of spending the time later to go find and download all the setup files. I did this for the programs I need to put on fresh installs at work and it saved me so much time -- I used to do it when I backed up my stuff before an install in college too. These days, I usually install so little that I don't worry much about anything other than my data. Just make sure if there's a vista version you grab that instead of the xp version (most of the time xp/vista is the same and worst case you can always run xp installs in win7).

Here's a list of things I'd commonly check:
My Documents is a great place to start -- but it depends on whether or not you actually use the predefined folder and subfolders.
Firefox (bookmarks.htm) -- backing up extensions is a different story and wholy not worth the effort.
IE "My Favorites" folder
Any other personal/user created directories
Save games -- look for anything you might need... I know a lot of games create a separate save dir which you can just copy and overlay on a new install.
If there's something you don't know where your license key is, make sure you open the program and check the "help > about" dialogue to see if you can write down your current license key for the upcoming install.
At work there are programs that save sessions or settings in hidden text files, but most common programs don't have anything like that you'd really need to worry about, I'd wager.

[quote name='tiredfornow']That new Call of Juanez game would be alright if it didn't suck ass. :whistle2:&[/QUOTE]
Don't tell me that. I really want to like it.

You know whats funny? Back in the day, the original Xbox was bundled with a game disc that included Sega GT 2002 and Jet Set Radio Future. I played the hell out of Sega GT, but I played Jet Set once and dismissed it as some fruity game that isn't any good. Fast forward to about two months ago and I hear from a whole bunch of people about how good the game is (after not hearing anything about it since I got the game).

Maybe I should play it. Is it backwards compatible with the 360?

[quote name='becuzimbrown']You know whats funny? Back in the day, the original Xbox was bundled with a game disc that included Sega GT 2002 and Jet Set Radio Future. I played the hell out of Sega GT, but I played Jet Set once and dismissed it as some fruity game that isn't any good. Fast forward to about two months ago and I hear from a whole bunch of people about how good the game is (after not hearing anything about it since I got the game).

Maybe I should play it. Is it backwards compatible with the 360?[/QUOTE]

I think it isn't. Google could tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back