Ass to Trout OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skyrim is awesome. I'm really loving the way the menu system and inventory is handled. Much how I wanted all online FPS to adopt Halo's matchmaking system, I now want all RPGs to adopt Skyrims menus.

Also I can tell its Black Friday week cause my inbox is blowing up from Slickdeal alerts already.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Temporaryscars']What if you're a class that doesn't use a bow and arrow?[/QUOTE]

Destruction magic? If you're melee only I guess you're fucked.

[quote name='Chika']Took my board exam this morning. Didn't think it was too terrible. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but it also wasn't as good as I hoped. It was standard, I guess. I wasn't unprepared.

Cooking Thanksgiving entirely myself this year for the first time. I've got the carrots, onions, celery, and Brussels sprout prepped and cornbread made then chopped into little cubes so it will get stale for making stuffing/dressing. The bird is in the fridge defrosting. Tomorrow, I make the cranberry jelly from scratch, and the 2-layer pumpkin pie cheesecake. All I'll have to do on T-day is sautee the aromatics, mix up the stuffing, toss the brussels sprouts with the sauce, and boil/mash potatoes then pop everything in the oven while the 14lb turkey is taking its sweet time. I hope 14lbs is big enough, I'm not sure exactly how many people there will be, but there won't be many.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of brussels sprouts, I cooked some not too long ago, but they had a strong vinegar taste in their centers. Did I end up cooking them too long or that how the veggie normally tastes? (It was my first time every eating them.)

[quote name='Chika']Got 'em:) I plan to brine it overnight ahead of time, stuff it with aromatics, and cook it in the bag with some chicken stock. Then, about 2/3 of the way through, open the bag and slather it with herbed butter so the skin gets crispy.[/QUOTE]

I do the same thing with the brine overnight. I also slit the skin and stick an entire 1/4 lb stick of butter under it, then I pin bacon slices over the skin. instead of chicken stock, I use a bottle of Yuengling Lager. Stick in a bunch of whole red and white mini-potatoes around the bird. The last half hour I remove the potatoes and turkey from the bag. I baste the bird and put it back in the oven let it crisp up, and I half the potatoes and put them in a shallow roasting pan to brown them up and sprinkle them with garlic powder, salt and pepper. I sprinkle the potatoes with parmesean cheese after I remove them.

[quote name='Dkellar']Speaking of brussels sprouts, I cooked some not too long ago, but they had a strong vinegar taste in their centers. Did I end up cooking them too long or that how the veggie normally tastes? (It was my first time every eating them.)[/QUOTE]

How did you cook them? They normally have a strong taste in the center, usually more "funky" than vinegary. I mean, they're a type of cabbage so you get that cabbage-y funk. The way I like to cook them is either in a pan with lots of oil, onions and garlic and I cook them until they're brown and crispy on the edges, or I roast them in the oven in a similar way, drizzled with oil and onions,etc in the pan until they're brown around the edges. I like Michael Simon's recipe for Fried Brussels Sprouts and the Bobby Flay recipe for Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate.

[quote name='Number83']I do the same thing with the brine overnight. I also slit the skin and stick an entire 1/4 lb stick of butter under it, then I pin bacon slices over the skin. instead of chicken stock, I use a bottle of Yuengling Lager. Stick in a bunch of whole red and white mini-potatoes around the bird. The last half hour I remove the potatoes and turkey from the bag. I baste the bird and put it back in the oven let it crisp up, and I half the potatoes and put them in a shallow roasting pan to brown them up and sprinkle them with garlic powder, salt and pepper. I sprinkle the potatoes with parmesean cheese after I remove them.[/QUOTE]

Well, I have a wheat allergy so I won't be using beer, and one of the people coming to dinner is a strict vegetarian who will make an exception for fowl on T-day but won't touch pork if her life depends on it, so there goes the bacon. That's definitely a possibility if I have a different guestlist next time. I've got a whole stick of herbed butter sitting at room temp to let the flavors blend for a few days. \

I mean, I've never cooked a whole bird before, but I do have a decent amount of experience in a kitchen. I might not be a professional, but I do know how to cook. For just 2 people, making a whole bird is overkill.

[quote name='Chika']Well, I have a wheat allergy so I won't be using beer, and one of the people coming to dinner is a strict vegetarian who will make an exception for fowl on T-day but won't touch pork if her life depends on it, so there goes the bacon. That's definitely a possibility if I have a different guestlist next time. I've got a whole stick of herbed butter sitting at room temp to let the flavors blend for a few days. \

I mean, I've never cooked a whole bird before, but I do have a decent amount of experience in a kitchen. I might not be a professional, but I do know how to cook. For just 2 people, making a whole bird is overkill.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it's going to be awesome! :D

I get to do the bird every year, so it's old hat to me. But I remember my first time...I was so worried that was going to over cook it that I pulled it out early, as cooking something for 6 and a half hours didnt seem right to me (and there was no pop timer), so I stopped at 4. As I cut into it, I thought I heard it gobble.

It was from that point on, I swear on the Reynolds Oven Bags. I even use them for Easter Hams.

[quote name='Number83']My first weekend in Skyrim and I'm Level 10 and still in the first major town. :D[/QUOTE]

Same here! Such a good game. Nothing more satisfying than Unrelenting Forcing a bandit off a tower.

[quote name='Number83']I'm sure it's going to be awesome! :D

I get to do the bird every year, so it's old hat to me. But I remember my first time...I was so worried that was going to over cook it that I pulled it out early, as cooking something for 6 and a half hours didnt seem right to me (and there was no pop timer), so I stopped at 4. As I cut into it, I thought I heard it gobble.

It was from that point on, I swear on the Reynolds Oven Bags. I even use them for Easter Hams.[/QUOTE]

I bought a cheap analog meat thermometer that just has "140-150-160-170-180" that you're supposed to stick in the breast and leave in while it bakes. Not quite a pop-up, but a very definitive way to tell if it's done.

[quote name='Chika']How did you cook them? They normally have a strong taste in the center, usually more "funky" than vinegary. I mean, they're a type of cabbage so you get that cabbage-y funk. The way I like to cook them is either in a pan with lots of oil, onions and garlic and I cook them until they're brown and crispy on the edges, or I roast them in the oven in a similar way, drizzled with oil and onions,etc in the pan until they're brown around the edges. I like Michael Simon's recipe for Fried Brussels Sprouts and the Bobby Flay recipe for Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate. [/quote]

I actually just quickly steamed them as I purchased them frozen for under a buck as I have never had them before. I can eat cabbage raw or cooked just fine. (I plan on fermenting some soon, kimchi!) I think the next time I try to cook them I will dice them up and stir-fry with some soy sauce. Maybe do a teriyaki sauce if I get around to picking up some cheap sake.

[quote name='munch']I really want to play the new zelda game.[/QUOTE]

I'm slightly tempted but my :wii: has been up on the top shelf untouched for well over 6 months now. I'm not getting it down and playing for just one game.

Don't I have to buy the new Wii Plus remote to play it as well?

[quote name='eldergamer']I'm slightly tempted but my :wii: has been up on the top shelf untouched for well over 6 months now. I'm not getting it down and playing for just one game.

Don't I have to buy the new Wii Plus remote to play it as well?[/QUOTE]

Yup, or buy the Special Edition that comes with a Gold Wiimote with it built in.

Glad Best Buy put up their Black Friday preview sale at midnight, got everything I wanted without having to go through the crap that people are dealing with in the deals forum.

[quote name='Maklershed']Skyrim is awesome. I'm really loving the way the menu system and inventory is handled. Much how I wanted all online FPS to adopt Halo's matchmaking system, I now want all RPGs to adopt Skyrims menus.

Also I can tell its Black Friday week cause my inbox is blowing up from Slickdeal alerts already.[/QUOTE]

Really? The UI is my least favorite part of Skyrim, especially on PC. I would gladly have Oblivion's UI back any day.

[quote name='seanr1221']Destruction magic? If you're melee only I guess you're fucked.[/QUOTE]

Go bows, One hander, magic in the other.

The slate movielog of the twilight movies is humorous.

"9:03 Taylor Lautner enters in a tight, rain-soaked T-shirt. The woman in front of me spasms and extends her arms. Team Jacob."

I watched fifteen minutes of Twilight this weekend and nearly vomited. It was terrible. Vampires playing baseball. Hanging out in a high school cafeteria. I mean, they have better storylines and characters on Disney Channel sitcoms. The last time I was so disgusted with a pop culture phenom was when I tried to read the first Left Behind novel and couldn't get past the first 20 pages.

[quote name='darthbudge']Really? The UI is my least favorite part of Skyrim, especially on PC. I would gladly have Oblivion's UI back any day.[/QUOTE]

I agree with DB...especially the potions tab...Ugh.

I'd guess that Mak's playing Skyrim on the Xbox 360, not PC, which works great for a controller. It's fast, responsive, and well-designed for that type of input.

[quote name='TheRock88']Glad Best Buy put up their Black Friday preview sale at midnight, got everything I wanted without having to go through the crap that people are dealing with in the deals forum.[/QUOTE]

You're Silver?

High roller!

I'd really like a CoD group. I don't know if anyone plays regularly but I'm pretty decent and I'm getting tired of playing alone.

Morning all. Burning through Breaking Bad. Currently in the middle of season 2 and really enjoying it. Love that Bob Odenkirk is in it too. Him as a sheisty lawyer is great.

Also Life's Too Short is great. Just as good as Extras (very similar actually) for those who enjoyed that show.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'd guess that Mak's playing Skyrim on the Xbox 360, not PC, which works great for a controller. It's fast, responsive, and well-designed for that type of input.[/QUOTE]

Hit the nail on the head.

For those of you still rocking dvds Burn After Reading is $1.99 right now on Amazon

For the blu-ray crowd, Office Space is gonna be $4.99 at 12:30 est today.

[quote name='Maklershed']Hell yeah. And New Vegas.[/QUOTE]

I think I'll start New Vegas tonight.

I feel I might be able to platnium Assassian's Creed 2. A feat I've never attempted in any other game. The only trophy that might give me trouble is the 100 feathers one.

I'm surprised how generous most of the trophies are in this game. Do 1 beat up, courier, contract, etc mission instead of ALL missions.

I really hope there is a good deal on Skyrim Friday, but there probably won't be since it's been doing really well and only just came out.

I think the only black friday deal for it is a $10 gift card.

I was going to skip out on Skyrim til later but when Amazon had the buy 1 get 1 at 50% off I split the savings with my cousin who got Modern Warfare 3. But Amazon is lagging on shipping it.

Yeah, I saw target has the +$10 gift card deal but that's not really enough for me to bite on it. I plan to get BF3 from walmart and will grab Skyrim if it drops to $40ish, otherwise I will just wait on it.

[quote name='Eviltude']Yeah, I saw target has the +$10 gift card deal but that's not really enough for me to bite on it. I plan to get BF3 from walmart and will grab Skyrim if it drops to $40ish, otherwise I will just wait on it.[/QUOTE]

I took advantage of the Kmart shenanigans that all started with the Batman Arkham City giving a $30 coupon. In turn Skyrim was essentially 50% off and gave me a $15 coupon, which I used on MGS HD.

Arg, the neighbor woke me up, and of course my newspaper was missing. If only I had gotten up two minutes earlier...oh well...next time Gadget...next time! Now I know he will take the paper even with my car is there.

Hey guys.

How long is the MW3 campaign and is it worth playing through?

[quote name='Maklershed']Morning all. Burning through Breaking Bad. Currently in the middle of season 2 and really enjoying it. Love that Bob Odenkirk is in it too. Him as a sheisty lawyer is great.

Also Life's Too Short is great. Just as good as Extras (very similar actually) for those who enjoyed that show.

[/QUOTE]

Have you seen 'An Idiot Abroad' Series 2?

Any blu-ray player recommendations? Amazon has the Sony BDP580 for $108. Go for it?

[quote name='manthing']

Have you seen 'An Idiot Abroad' Series 2?[/QUOTE]

Indeed I have. Great stuff.

[quote name='Maklershed']Any blu-ray player recommendations? [/QUOTE]

:ps3:

IT ONLY DOES EVERYTHING!*

after excruciatingly long, pointless system updates

[quote name='manthing']Hey guys.

How long is the MW3 campaign and is it worth playing through?
[/QUOTE]

Number84 completed it in just over 5 hours (and without my knowledge), he said when I confronted him about it. He also said that it was 'dumb'.

[quote name='manthing']Hey guys.

How long is the MW3 campaign and is it worth playing through?[/QUOTE]

It took me about 6 hours on Veteran. If you play on easy, it will be super short.

I enjoyed it.

I am having a hell of a time deciding on a TV.

For anyone who has looked at the BF ads, does anything pop out to you? I'm looking for 50"+, preferably LED (but LCD's OK if it's a really great deal), 3D if possible. $900 or less if no 3D, $1200 or less with 3D.

I want the 55LW5600, but I'm not really seeing any great deals on that.

[quote name='prmononoke']I am having a hell of a time deciding on a TV.

For anyone who has looked at the BF ads, does anything pop out to you? I'm looking for 50"+, preferably LED (but LCD's OK if it's a really great deal), 3D if possible. $900 or less if no 3D, $1200 or less with 3D.

I want the 55LW5600, but I'm not really seeing any great deals on that.[/QUOTE]

Shame you arent looking into Plasma:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...1218337329459&skuId=2584325&st=PN51&cp=1&lp=1

If you want this in 3D(I have this TV and it came with 2 free pairs of Glasses. Picture is phenominal):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...1218311133577&skuId=2144103&st=PN51&cp=1&lp=4

If you dont care for 1080P/720P, this 720p 3D TV is 599:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...1218310760716&skuId=2135072&st=PN51&cp=1&lp=3

[quote name='Number83']Shame you arent looking into Plasma:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...1218337329459&skuId=2584325&st=PN51&cp=1&lp=1

If you want this in 3D(I have this TV and it came with 2 free pairs of Glasses. Picture is phenominal):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...1218311133577&skuId=2144103&st=PN51&cp=1&lp=4

If you dont care for 1080P/720P, this 720p 3D TV is 599:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...1218310760716&skuId=2135072&st=PN51&cp=1&lp=3[/QUOTE]

At that size, 1080p is definitely preferred.

At this point, isn't LED supposed to be better than plasma? Also, power consumption, etc.

10 days until the supposed "due date". Only 4 more work shifts left to go (not counting today).

After that either be here alot more because I'll be home on the time, or much less due to extreme sleep deprivation.

Off to Fred Meyers to pick up store made Thanksgiving meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back