Assassin's Creed - Gen. Discussion & Info

I am playing through Assassin's Creed right now and I am loving it. I am on Memory Block 5. The only thing I don't like is those ridiculous Informer Assassination missions.

Assassinate 5 people without causing any alarms in only 4 minutes? Yeah, screw that.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Dude that is a fucking lie and you know it. Thats such a bullshit excuse that those dumbass Penny Arcade guys made up. Why would I play this game differently then I play any other game? Like I bought AC for the sole purpose of rushing through it as fast as I can. No I played this game the same as I play every other game.

And you really do need to check the definition of a open world game because AC is far from and open world. Its just a huge ass map with a lot of NPC doing nothing. The difference being in an actually open world there are things going on that are completely separate from each other whether the user is there or not.

In GTA (which a insult that you would even compare the 2) there are thousands of lines of dialogue that the NPC will say to each other whether or not the user is in range to hear it or not. The NPC will also get into car accidents, fights, chase by cops, hell actually talk with different accents depending on what part of the city you are in, etc etc.

There is literally only 4 things to do in AC that's it that's all and that what your ever going to get. Yeah but its my fault that they didn't program anything more to the game but the exact same 4 missions over and over again right? My fault beacuse I don't think its fun to run around collecting fucking flags for 3 hours in every single city. The exact same dialogue said in the exact same way is in 6 different cities is not an open world. NPC preform the exact same action anywhere in the game. There is no open world because I know exactly what every single NPC will do whether I am in the first city or the last beacuse they are all only programmed to do 2 one action and one action only.

And this is not to dump all over you but we all played the game and half of us said it was extremely boring and repetitive and its bullshit that you can even imply that its our own fault like we some how missed the boat on how fun the game is. Even though I beat the piss poor game and did about half of the extra stuff.

If you like the game or not is none of my concern. But don't imply that the people who didn't like this game somehow "did it wrong" and that's the reason why they didn't like it. Beacuse that is bullshit. I didn't like the game beacuse it fucking sucked and no other reason. It sucking being my opinion but trust me its not because I played the game wrong. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Did it ever occur to you that is my opinion? That's my opinion on what makes the game fun, you don't have to agree with what I said, no need to be a jerk just because you don't like the game, and I do. I never stated you were playing it "wrong", I said why not try the way I personally played it, which is what helped keep my interest in the title. That's what worked for me. That's why I stated it.

Just because I have an opinion, means I'm stealing from Penny Arcade? I don't even read Penny Arcade. Ever. I played the episodic XBLA games, but I could care-less about their actual comic. Yet, I guess I'm stealing from them, since I think A.C. is a good game, and merely make suggestions on new ways to keep the gameplay fresh and exciting.

I know this is quite a few months late, however I don't visit this thread much, obviously. I really could care-less how you play it, why you play it, if you hate it, if you like it, or what ever you want to do with it. I like it, I enjoy it, and I only gave my perspective on how to keep the game fun and exciting.

Now, how is this not an open-world game? NPC's do nothing in GTA when you're not around, you know. They are spawned as you are playing, not in advance. A.C. is no different. I don't even know how you came to that conclusion. You can go anywhere at anytime, so it's completely open-world.

As for missions, let's look back to GTA. Drive here, kill people, drive back. I think that's about pretty much every mission. Sure, there's new dialogue for each one, but it's either drive, kill, or kill and drive. So many choices there as well, huh?

See? I was able to accomplish that entire paragraph without personal insults or swearing, and get my point across. Go figure.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I've held off on this game for a LONG time. Logic is telling me to listen to all the people who said it's boring as hell. But, it just looks so damn good. I wish there was some wicked magic sale and I could get it for $10 or something.[/QUOTE]

I was in the same boat, ended up scoring a perfect used copy for $10 a while back, and just started it last month. I like the game a lot, but the game is repetitive to the max. The Zero Punctuation Review is spot on in this regard, but I'm having enough fun with it to keep playing.

If Ubisoft can fix some of the nagging things and repetitive missions and mix things up here and there, then they're going to have a monster game in AC2.

[quote name='darthbudge']I am playing through Assassin's Creed right now and I am loving it. I am on Memory Block 5. The only thing I don't like is those ridiculous Informer Assassination missions.

Assassinate 5 people without causing any alarms in only 4 minutes? Yeah, screw that.[/QUOTE]

I'm on memory block 3 and was having problems with taking two guys down just last night. Took about 20 minutes. Talk about aggravating. I've had problems with pick-pocket missions as well. Everything else is gravy.

[quote name='darthbudge']I am playing through Assassin's Creed right now and I am loving it. I am on Memory Block 5. The only thing I don't like is those ridiculous Informer Assassination missions.

Assassinate 5 people without causing any alarms in only 4 minutes? Yeah, screw that.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit I remember that one. Was hella hard but after I did I felt like a king.

Wow, I forgot how polarized the reaction was between love it or hate it. Man, some people are angry.

I fell into the love it portion myself. Even though there weren't too many unique actions happening, I loved getting high up on a tall building and watching the people bustle about below. The architecture itself was a big plus, especially since it opened so many unique avenues for escape and free-running. I personally just had fun running around in the sandbox world.

It also gave me the unique "assassin" thrill. Cause to me, Metal Gear was "cat and mouse". You had to avoid most confrontations, which edged with a little bit of anxiety and fear. Most other games, you are so powerful you only fear making mistakes but can power through most enemies. With Assassins Creed, I felt like I was the stalker. Learn the information, plan my route and hit my target before he realized it was happening. I still have a mental log of my major kills just cause they were so fun. Dropped from the balcony right in front of the guy who was poisoning his audience, chasing down the archer dude and getting him seconds after we landed on the busy street. Although I hated the boat stage. That one took me forever. Mostly because my mark kept spotting me. Eventually though I pulled myself up on the ledge right as he turned around and jump-killed him before he could react.

Good times. :)

I really hope they fix the in-between current day portions. That annoyed the crap out of me. It was so impossible to move around and felt really clunky.

I bought this game in January for £5 and just started playing it today, it's pretty good though and not in very far. Controls take a little getting used to.

from kotaku

http://kotaku.com/5286712/assassins-creed-2-special-edition-includes-missions-music--toys

eziofig.jpg

Like any other high-profile (or even mid-profile) game these days, Assassin's Creed 2 will be available in a collector's edition. Let's take a look at what's inside. Called the "Black Edition", the limited edition box set will ship in "black packaging", and come with a "unique authentic holographic signature". Whatever that means.

Included will be a "64-page finely crafted leather style hardcover and parchment-finish" book, which has stuff like concept art and developer interviews, a copy of the game's soundtrack, an Ezio action figure (pictured), some "behind-the-scene interviews" and 3 "in-game bonus quests".

As far as price goes, currently it's only being listed in PAL territories, at £69.99 in the UK (USD$115) and AUD$149.95 (USD$121) in Australia. Since most games cost around AUD$100 here, you can probably expect the US version to come in at around $80-90.

[quote name='tenzor']from kotaku

eziofig.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Holy mother that is so badass. This will be the first Special Edition game I've picked up since...hmmm, I can't even remember. I got the Halo 3 Legendary but it was through a contest so that doesn't count. God, I wonder how big it is.

[quote name='Corvin']It's still Ubisoft. Odds are you'll be able to find this in January for about $40.[/QUOTE]

The original Assassin's Creed seems to have held its value fairly well hasn't it? Plus there are a TON more people who are excited for the sequel considering it looks like its going to improve on pretty much every negative of the first. Granted I'm sure it will still drop in price, I dunno if the CE will go that far down that fast.

Just started playing this game today, and I must say it seems incredible. My immediate gripe is the lack of a subtitles option, because it badly needs it.

[quote name='Zeeman']Pause the game and go to display options, it should be there.[/QUOTE]

It's a common complaint of the game that subtitles are not there, nor is there a menu option to enable them.

Been playing AC 2...so far it seems very much like more of the same. Adding shop, doctors, and such but still feels the same. I enjoyed the first one alright, and so far this one starts off exactly where the first one left off. I haven't gotten to play much but the first 3 achievements are 20 points each and you basically do nothing for them lol.

^

its like the first but way more polished. Having your own villa/town to earn money and upgrade is a nice touch. More weapons and armors, dyes, capes. It doesn't have a ton of variety in gear like an rpg but for this sorta game it adds a very nice touch.No more "save the citizen" you have beat em up and races which are pretty fun. The few beat em up's that i did have you finding and beating up a cheating husband. Its definitely a fun game.
I don't think people who hated the first will enjoy the more refined and slightly different ac2. The additions they put into the game make is a lot of fun for those who enjoyed the first. The story in AC2 seems much more interesting than the first. Its more personal with family and your reasons to assassinate these people.

Yep, I felt that if you liked the first, you should like this one. If you hated the first one, it feels too similar to completely change someones mind about it.

[quote name='utopianmachine']It's a common complaint of the game that subtitles are not there, nor is there a menu option to enable them.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I thought you were talking about AC II. The definitely fixed the subtitle problem for that one.

bread's done
Back