Attack on crowd at Denver Dark Knight Rises midnight showing

[quote name='ppself']I don't know the laws in that state, but it's not hard to legally purchase a semi-automatic rifle.

With some filled out paperwork, a background check and a wad of cash you can walk out of a registered gun retailers shop with a semi AK and pistol. There is a age limit as well, being over 18 is standard.

In Ga, you can buy a used firearm from a random stranger without the paperwork and background checks. So i don't know if that is the same as Co. Or he could have stolen them.

My questions would be. Who brings a baby to a movie? And how come nobody noticed a fully tactically dressed dude walking into a theater?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='confoosious']Maybe cause it was a midnight screening. "Nice costume dude!"

---

Bringing a baby to a midnight show deserves a good slap to the head though.[/QUOTE]

They state in the Time Article that he got in through a back door.

[quote name='bvharris']
In many ways, a movie is the perfect target for someone who has it in their minds to do something senseless like this. I'll admit I'm a bit surprised it hasn't happened before.[/QUOTE]

Or a mall.

I love movies. I love watching good ones in the theater. Now, I know this is a random act of violence that could have happened at a mcdonalds. However, I gotta wonder whether this will really hurt movie ticket sales this summer.

[quote name='confoosious']Or a mall.

I love movies. I love watching good ones in the theater. Now, I know this is a random act of violence that could have happened at a mcdonalds. However, I gotta wonder whether this will really hurt movie ticket sales this summer.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if it did, though obviously there's really no way to account for things like this. They're going to happen, and unless you're planning to never leave your house, you just have to hope you aren't unlucky. I imagine you're still more likely to get hit by a bus.

[quote name='Soodmeg']New news is that the suspect says his apartment is booby trapped.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see how police deal with that. Go through the ceiling?

Do they have a picture of this asshole up yet?

[quote name='confoosious']Maybe cause it was a midnight screening. "Nice costume dude!"

---

Bringing a baby to a midnight show deserves a good slap to the head though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bvharris']It's entirely possible you could mistake someone dressed like that for someone cosplaying. I've never been to a midnight premiere where there weren't at least a few people dressed up. Plus, it's dark in a theater and your attention is on the screen, I doubt most people would have noticed him at all until he started.

In many ways, a movie is the perfect target for someone who has it in their minds to do something senseless like this.[/QUOTE]

I agree that it would have been hard to determine him as a threat at the time since they are all watching a movie.

I guess i am just more attentive while watching movies and the littlest action in the seats distract me.

[quote name='Dark Rider']They state in the Time Article that he got in through a back door.[/QUOTE]

That makes more sense on how he got in there.

Now that he is still alive, they can shed on the reasons why he did what he did.

[quote name='ppself']
I guess i am just more attentive while watching movies and the littlest action in the seats distract me.
[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you're going to have some company going forward. I'm already dreading the suspicious looks I'll get if I have to go to the bathroom during the movie when I see it this afternoon.

[quote name='confoosious']I would love to see how police deal with that. Go through the ceiling?

Do they have a picture of this asshole up yet?[/QUOTE]

Try are actually going through the back window of this apartment complex via hook and ladder fire truck and poles and mirrors to breathe frame. Reports say that they can see a complex device in the apartment.

Several children hurt and killed, I mean why would you bring a 3 month old baby, and 6-year old kids to a PG-13 midnight film?

If you can't find a babysitter that late then don't watch it at midnight, ah!

Read that other cities including the country of France canceled a lot of their showings today because of fear that there would be copycats.... scary.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

So 3 military service members where wounded in the theater. Basically if they couldn't head shot this guy then random mc random guy with his hidden pistol wasn't doing jack shit.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Several children hurt and killed, I mean why would you bring a 3 month old baby, and 6-year old kids to a PG-13 midnight film?

Read that other cities including the country of France canceled a lot of their showings today because of fear that there would be copycats.... scary.

:cry: :cry: :cry:[/QUOTE]
Dont know about PG13 but do theaters still not allow minors onto Rated R films? Or do they just not care?

But seriously I agree you shouldn't bring children to films that are not rated appropriately for them.

I actually have a 6 yr old brother who loves superheroes espescially Batman but he's not watching TDKR with me.

[quote name='GUNNM']Yeah its the same chick. A friend of hers on twitter posted the link her last name was Ghawi but on twitter redfield. Her twitter went from 3.5k to 4.2k don't know why people are following her now.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same person. I just assume her Twitter last name was more of a stage name type deal. It does suck though.

r620-7287416e80922620fccb76fdf86fa724.jpg

[quote name='perdition(troy']Who says they were carrying? Why are you so anal about trying to bring up people using guns to defend themselves in this thread?[/QUOTE]

Because they go hand and hand. The of the worst things Americans do is put everything is a vacuum. that nothing is linked and everything is completely random.

This is another action that point to many many different topics, its the same reason why I asked if their health care would be covered. Things like this can be linked to by treating the mentality disturbed, the ability for the mentality unstable to acquire weapons and the thought that more guns in a certain situation increases safety.

If he is mentality unstable who's to say that you counslt have prevented this act 2,4,6 years ago when he was showing signs? Could have for him help then maybe theycan come up with mew ways to Iso the distrubed That's why I keep bring it up. It's not limited to just guns because I am not viewing this in a bubble....it makes me question lots of topics.

man, this movie is murderously good!

I can see the headline already, New Batman movie makes a killing in opening weekend

There is so awful, because a midnight release, to me, is one of the very few carefree, fun and apolitical/non-religious events in America. I've been to a lot, and I like not only seeing the movie, but just how relaxed, focused, and united everyone is. Even if it is just for a move, but its still a great feeling of unity and leisure, but now even that has been tainted.

Profile says that he spent a lot of time in a kareoke bar bit didn't talk to anyone and was never seen with anyone.

[quote name='nasum']man, this movie is murderously good!

I can see the headline already, New Batman movie makes a killing in opening weekend[/QUOTE]
Oh you are so fucking funny :roll:

[quote name='Soodmeg']So 3 military service members where wounded in the theater. Basically if they couldn't head shot this guy then random mc random guy with his hidden pistol wasn't doing jack shit.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that a conceal carry would have helped. Even a few conceal carries would have a hard time. Depending on the scenario i could say the opposite on either.

We do know the shooter had a tactical advantage of wearing body armor over the average conceal carry wearing a T-shirt and jeans. So wounding him would have been a lot harder.

[quote name='camoor']http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78756.html#ixzz21BBJJuoT

Dang for once I agree with Bloomberg[/QUOTE]

Agree with what? The gun control part? Because if you look at the gun laws in NY, you woudl see that they are very strict (strictest in the US imo).

Then see what the gun crime rate is for that area, and we would still see that it is very high for the country.

Gun control isn't the problem. It's the root as to why people do evil things to others that needs solving.

Saying that the "tear gas" was actually pepper spray that was made into sme kind of canister.

Still don't know why he would tell the police that it's booby trapped but not tell them what it is and has all of a sudden stopped talking at all. It's confusing.....

[quote name='Jodou']See, this is what happens when you don't get your tickets on movietickets.com and they're sold out.[/QUOTE]

You're a regular Jay Leno.

[quote name='gareman']There is so awful, because a midnight release, to me, is one of the very few carefree, fun and apolitical/non-religious events in America. I've been to a lot, and I like not only seeing the movie, but just how relaxed, focused, and united everyone is. Even if it is just for a move, but its still a great feeling of unity and leisure, but now even that has been tainted.[/QUOTE]

This. Midnight releases are great cause mostly everyone is a fan and will try to respect other fans. There's good energy without the assholes talking throughout the movie.

[quote name='GUNNM']Oh damn that was Jessica who was from San Antonio and got shot in the face because the gunman heard her crying.
brutal.[/QUOTE]

The crazy thing is this girl had recently escaped a shooting in a mall by about 2 mins. She bought sushi and got a weird feeling so she took it outside to eat rather than sit in the food court. 3 minutes after the time on her receipt, someone started shooting up the food court. So eerie. Like some Final Destination type situation. Absolutely crazy.

Uh oh. Some media outlets are banging the violent videgames and movie drum.
We're a country that celebrates mindless violence. We love explosions, dark movies, and shooter videogames, what do you expect?

We put soldiers on pedastals, and act like they are some kind of heroes. Gangsters from past and present are viewed as cool, and have movies/books/tv shows made about them.

And then we wonder why we have a violent society.

[quote name='ppself']I doubt that a conceal carry would have helped. Even a few conceal carries would have a hard time. Depending on the scenario i could say the opposite on either.

We do know the shooter had a tactical advantage of wearing body armor over the average conceal carry wearing a T-shirt and jeans. So wounding him would have been a lot harder.[/quote]
That was his point.

Agree with what? The gun control part? Because if you look at the gun laws in NY, you woudl see that they are very strict (strictest in the US imo).
Then your opinion is dumb because that's conservative bullshit. Anyone over 18 with a NY drivers license can walk into any gun shop and buy a dozen long guns with a stockpile of ammo, no questions asked except for NYC and maybe a couple other towns, which I think require a permit. As for handguns, all you need is to get a permit as well.

Then see what the gun crime rate is for that area, and we would still see that it is very high for the country.

Gun control isn't the problem. It's the root as to why people do evil things to others that needs solving.
They're both problems.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Several children hurt and killed, I mean why would you bring a 3 month old baby, and 6-year old kids to a PG-13 midnight film?

:cry: :cry: :cry:[/QUOTE]
Saddest part was that last thing on these children's minds before they were killed was that Batman couldn't save them.

H O R R I B L E

:cry:

[quote name='HanawayCoca']Saddest part was that last thing on these children's minds before they were killed was that Batman couldn't save them.

H O R R I B L E

:cry:[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Just spit out my drink.

[quote name='HanawayCoca']Saddest part was that last thing on these children's minds before they were killed was that Batman couldn't save them.

H O R R I B L E

Oh wow, I really felt that. I have nephews that age who really believe in superheroes. If something like that was to happ.... ****!

:cry:

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Oh wow, I really felt that. I have nephews that age who really believe in superheroes. If something like that was to happ.... ****!

Probably even worse for them when they see all the people in Batman costumes not able to do anything.

[quote name='perdition(troy']We're a country that celebrates mindless violence. We love explosions, dark movies, and shooter videogames, what do you expect?

We put soldiers on pedastals, and act like they are some kind of heroes. Gangsters from past and present are viewed as cool, and have movies/books/tv shows made about them.

And then we wonder why we have a violent society.[/QUOTE]

Are you seriously with this? You do know humans have been massacring, raping, torturing each since we have climbed out of the ooze. Do I agree that over the top violence is a problem? Yes but it's like one percent of the actual problem and to concentrate any attention to it before you tackle mental health signs, gun control, regulations etc is so fucking lazy that it's offensive to anyone with cmon sense.

People have been killing other people before the world gangster was even invented and they have been enslaving each other since before electrty was found.

Seriously now, So what movie did they watch been they decided that everyone with who was taller than 5ft was a witch and burned them?

[quote name='confoosious']Oh goodie. The vs crowd is here and ready to do their thing in this thread too. Yay.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's not like the debate was already going on before I made a post or that other vs. regulars posted before me. Get over yourself.:roll:

[quote name='dohdough']Yeah, it's not like the debate was already going on before I made a post or that other vs. regulars posted before me. Get over yourself.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Get over *yourself*. I wasn't singling you out. Notice I said regularS. didn't realize you were plural.

Although I'm sure you'll find a way to turn this shooting into a lament about disenfranchised black people.

Edit - actually said crowd. Plural point stands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holmes was only in school, for a couple months before withdrawing, they are trying to link that period to when decide to either plan it or carry out the plan.

Bomb sniffing dogs confirm that there are no bombs or explosives at the apartment.

Man, I thinking he was just bulshitting to buy himself some time or some reason. Police are still scanning the apartment.

I think guns are the worst invention in the history of our planet. We are not living in the time where people need them to hunt for food. So, why do people outside of the army have access to automatic weapons? Given the population of the world increasing, the chances for crazy people like this guy increases, and then he has access to firearms.
I once heard someone say, if you take away guns, people will find other ways to kill each other. Yes, but if that guy had a knife instead of a rifle, this would be a different scenario. Guns make mass sprees like this much too easy in the hands of a psycho.
My condolences go out to the families of the victims.

bread's done
Back