Best Buy DVD sale glitch *EL MUERTE*

[quote name='mpj31']Well I successfully exchanged for True Romance, except they wouldnt give me a 300 ticket ...yet at least. I went on best buy online and I'm going to print the page that says free move ticket with a purchase of a DVD. The people at my best buy thought it was only for Alexander NEW DVD RELEASE purchase. So i guess YMMV.[/quote]In the ad it said any dvd, just show them that. It seemed pretty clear to me.

Too bad my store said it was for tuesday. Couldn't really argue that :p

Thank you. This worked perfectly at the Polaris store in OH. I got Mystic River, Unforgiven, V for Vendetta, Shawshank, and the 300 disc for only $21.38.

Still going in Cedar Rapids, IA. I went back an picked up Constantine and True Romance to make it an even 10 movies for the weekend. I am a whore for cheap movies.

[quote name='robdees']Still going in Cedar Rapids, IA. I went back an picked up Constantine and True Romance to make it an even 10 movies for the weekend. I am a whore for cheap movies.[/QUOTE]

m3 2 dawg

just got v for vendetta(for me) and yankee doodle dandy (for the wife)
at the east hanover,nj store

ps they had nothing in terms of games from the clearance

This is from the game sale thread, I thought I'd put it here to confirm that (at least in Montgomery) the glitch is still active.

Well.. I was there at around 10. Holy shit.. I couldn't tell who were CAG's, FW'ers, or SD. Avoiding the madness, I picked up Unforgiven, Enter the Dragon, and two 300 special DVD's with the movie tickets for a total of $9.99. So yes, the DVD glitch STILL works. I also went by and picked up Lumines should I ever buy a PSP. I noticed a large guy buy up both of the MotoGP's that were in stock, but everybody else seemed to be scrambling over everything else. No bin, no table, nada. I'm going to go back and price adjust the two games that I bought this weekend, but it was funny to see people get pissed (I saw a very large guy throw down a yellow BB basket in frustration and walk out, obviously from FW).

Now.. this story doesn't end. I saw an earlier post for the Denon home theatre price mistake in CC's ad. That was my aim. I went to CC and talked to a good friend that works there to shoot the shit, and then tried to get the Denon HTiB w/ seperate upconverting DVD player. For those interested, model # DHT487DV. Here's a link:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Deno...sem/rpsm/oid/159499/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Now.. This thing is usually around $800, $700 or so. The CC ad mistake has it for $269. Montgomery's CC has new management that has their shit together, so I knew I wouldn't succeed there (though I tried, they had a posted ad mistake notice). I considered trying to PM Full Auto for 360, but said to hell with it. Went back to BB.

I go to the home theatre area, and talk to a guy about the PM. He looks, and heads to customer service. After around 10 minutes, he comes back pissed. "We have two questions for you..why didn't you buy this at CC? This is way below cost for this." I tell him "I have to be back at work soon, I don't want to go to that side of town, and I have a BB card." He buys it, doesn't ask the second question, and got management approval.

Big strike out on the games deal there today, but I did get some nice cheap DVDs thanks to this. They really had no idea what I was talking about with the 300 disks, even when I pointed them out in the ad, so I might go back tomorrow or, more likely, I'll just skip it.

I picked up:
Mystic River SE
Heat
V for Vendetta
Magnolia (so underrated)

Cool that this deal is on the SE packs of most of them too, some cool stuff in there if you dig the movies.

Haha, I didn't even know about this, and was just coming here to post about it in the weekly thread thinking it was a one-off glitch. Got Shawshank and True Romance for $10, just a few minutes ago (about 1:30 EST). Even if I had known prior to going to the store, I probably wouldn't have picked up anything else - I've bought WAY too many DVDs lately.

So it is still working? Anybody try this in the NorDel/Philly areas? i am going to stop-by the BB on Farrand Drive in Wilmington tonight to try it out. If it works, I will update.

Would anyone know the name or website of the 300 preview disk where one can check out the locations of theaters accepting the coupon?

Thanks.

Went and picked up:

Enter the Dragon
Shawshank Redemption
Rebel Without a Cause
V for Vendetta

I kind of regretting getting V for Vendetta, I wish I had remembered One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest when I was at BB. I think it might be difficult to possibly PM One Flew and exchange V because One Flew is not 9.99 this week.

Also my Bestbuy people in town are idiots and persisted that I had to buy Alexander to get the 300 DVD and movie ticket. I wouldn't buy Alexander if it was 2 dollars, much less 19.99. How many editions of a bad movie do we really need?

Would anyone be willing to snail mail just the movie ticket voucher? Not even the DVD. I'll paypal however much a stamp costs now.

well I'm fucking pissed. I went in and tried to buy 4 dvd's with the BOGO and even though it rang up the fat bitch of a cashier wouldn't go through with the sale. She called over the front end supervisor and she said it was okay, but the cashier kept insisiting that they shouldn't ring up that. I explained to them that my father had just bought these yesterday and had no problem and she still wouldn't go through with the sale, so they called up the media guy and he said no to it. And the cashier looked at me like I was the biggest asshole ever then apologized to the people behind me with the exact quote of "I'm sorry this customer is causing an inconvenience to you, we'll ring you up in just a second." Now I'm always a calm guy at these checkouts, if a deal goes wrong I don't give any more hassle because I'm a cashier and I hate dealing with assholes all day but I snapped when she apologized to the customers saying it was all my fault calling me out like an asshole. I bent my rewards card and ripped it in half, gave it to them and told them to throw it away because I would never set foot in another Best Buy again.

Wow, that was fucked up.

I picked up Phantom of the Opera and Casablanca for $10.81 after tax with two tickets to 300. The price of one movie ticket nets me another and two DVDs for free. Thanks OP!

Yup thats fucked up. I got
Constantine
Million Dollar Baby
The Shawshank Redemption
One Flew Over The Cuckoo Nest

I picked up:
V for Vendetta, Boogie nights, Heat, Batman, Batman Returns, True Romance, Unforgiven, and Gothika. I got 4 copies of the 300 disk free.

It's weird, I bought Poseidon and Bullit yesterday (via store pickup) and they rang up at the normal $10 each.

Went back today for the game sale and figured I would pick another couple of DVDs up and check the price, they came up at B1G1.... so I guess I'll have to return the ones I bought yesterday and re-buy them at the cheaper price.

I guess because I did it via store pickup they did not get the extra discount. (just a heads up incase anyone else tries store pickup)

[quote name='exileinoblivion']well I'm fucking pissed.[/QUOTE]

so pissed you had to post in two forums? maybe she saved you money from buying a few discs of plastic that will be obsolete in a year.

Picked up Boogie Nights, True Romance, V for Vendetta, Shawshank, Goodfellas, and Unforgiven for $32 and change.

And totally forgot about the 300 DVD.

Regardless, great deal.

[quote name='Arakias']so pissed you had to post in two forums? maybe she saved you money from buying a few discs of plastic that will be obsolete in a year.[/QUOTE]

I posted the same post in this forum and the games forum, but it pertained to both topics.. that and I wanted to brag about actually pulling off the Denon HTiB price match/ad mistake :)

I'd also suggest checking back today if you went yesterday. My store had restocked all titles except for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Last night, they had maybe half of the titles. If I remember correctly, the Enter The Dragon DVD has pieces of Lee's last movie that wasn't finished or something due to his death. The Batman DVD has a few decent extra features as well, including a MUCH better transfer than the old shitty case edition.

[quote name='Skylander7']I posted the same post in this forum and the games forum, but it pertained to both topics.. that and I wanted to brag about actually pulling off the Denon HTiB price match/ad mistake :)

I'd also suggest checking back today if you went yesterday. My store had restocked all titles except for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Last night, they had maybe half of the titles. If I remember correctly, the Enter The Dragon DVD has pieces of Lee's last movie that wasn't finished or something due to his death. The Batman DVD has a few decent extra features as well, including a MUCH better transfer than the old shitty case edition.[/QUOTE]

i really want that Batman title :\

but i've already gorged myself on this one

Just picked up Goodfellas, Heat, The Lost Boys, Se7en and 4 300 preview disks for $21 at the BB in Delafield, WI. I'm seriously considering making another run though, at least for Shawshank and Cuckoo's Nest.

[quote name='ryosnk']Would anyone know the name or website of the 300 preview disk where one can check out the locations of theaters accepting the coupon?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

http://www.hollywoodmoviemoney.com/

Just leave the promo code field blank(the promo code they give you doesn't work anyway) and you should get a list of theaters around you.

[quote name='Buster Rod G']Just picked up Goodfellas, Heat, The Lost Boys, Se7en and 4 300 preview disks for $21 at the BB in Delafield, WI. I'm seriously considering making another run though, at least for Shawshank and Cuckoo's Nest.

http://www.hollywoodmoviemoney.com/

Just leave the promo code field blank(the promo code they give you doesn't work anyway) and you should get a list of theaters around you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

You forgot to knock over the magazine rack on your way out.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']well I'm fucking pissed. I went in and tried to buy 4 dvd's with the BOGO and even though it rang up the fat bitch of a cashier wouldn't go through with the sale. She called over the front end supervisor and she said it was okay, but the cashier kept insisiting that they shouldn't ring up that. I explained to them that my father had just bought these yesterday and had no problem and she still wouldn't go through with the sale, so they called up the media guy and he said no to it. And the cashier looked at me like I was the biggest asshole ever then apologized to the people behind me with the exact quote of "I'm sorry this customer is causing an inconvenience to you, we'll ring you up in just a second." Now I'm always a calm guy at these checkouts, if a deal goes wrong I don't give any more hassle because I'm a cashier and I hate dealing with assholes all day but I snapped when she apologized to the customers saying it was all my fault calling me out like an asshole. I bent my rewards card and ripped it in half, gave it to them and told them to throw it away because I would never set foot in another Best Buy again.[/QUOTE]

This was an awesome deal. Unfortunately I pretty much already have everything (in one form or another) that is included in this sale, but got some upgraded versions of some movies I already have.

Too bad the BB I went to didn't have Citizen Kane or Casablanca, though again i already have them. I may go back and get some more, like the newer cuts Batman and Batman Returns, maybe Enter the Dragon.

I got 4 of the movies total - Se7en, Chariots of Fire, and a couple of others on the list I can't even remember already, along with 6 of the 300 preview discs with free movie ticket, for $21.xx.

FYI, you read that right - they gave me 6 of the 300 preview discs for buying 4 of the 9.99 B1G1 DVDs. It seems there is another glitch where the checkout computer doesn't add up the total # of DVDs you are buying and give you one free preview disc for each, it gives you unlimited free 300 preview discs as long as you have a DVD scanned at checkout!

My checkout guy rang up all 6 of the 300 preview discs, and they all came up as $9.99 each until he hit enter, and they all went to $0.00.

They will undoubtedly update their systems as soon as they catch this, but I guess right now, as long as you get an employee that will let you do this, you could find the cheapest DVD they have available, ring it up, then grab the store's entire stock of 300 preview discs and get them all free. I wouldn't suggest trying your luck in this fashion, but you can probably get an extra copy/free movie ticket.

Hell, because they are free, some employees may not even ring them up. My friend bought a couple of B1G1 and his clerk didn't even scan the 300 preview discs for him, just threw them in the bag.

[quote name='karkyco']

My checkout guy rang up all 6 of the 300 preview discs, and they all came up as $9.99 each until he hit enter, and they all went to $0.00.

[/QUOTE]
:lol:

that is awesome

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']

Which brings me to a question: Does anyone know if the tickets/promo disc show on the receipt?
quote]

Yes, they definitely show up on the receipt as 0.00 IF the checkout person actually scans them. I will go down to my car shortly to doule check the receipt, but I am 95% certain that they show up on the receipt, because my guy scanned each one.

got the tix but the promo code didn't work to see which theatres accept this

why couldnt it be fandango code..

[quote name='karkyco'][quote name='GrilledWitOnions']

Which brings me to a question: Does anyone know if the tickets/promo disc show on the receipt?
quote]

Yes, they definitely show up on the receipt as 0.00 IF the checkout person actually scans them. I will go down to my car shortly to doule check the receipt, but I am 95% certain that they show up on the receipt, because my guy scanned each one.[/QUOTE]

its on the receipt if scanned

dang..my BB didnt have the 300 discs out today...i asked them, and the dude said it's in the back and that he can't put them out yet..i told him that my other best buy (which is farther away unfortunately) had the 300 dics out on saturday...BEFORE THE AD EVEN CAME OUT!!!

he still said no..so i'll just go back after school tomorrow

gonna get enter the dragon, se7en, heat, and v for vendetta...they didnt have goodfellas :(

any suggestions on the other dvds? i havent heard what the others are about and lots of the movies dont have descriptions of the plot on the back of them since they're special editions...any suggestions? i'm looking for mafia-type movies like the godfather and scarface

[quote name='swetooth9']dang..my BB didnt have the 300 discs out today...i asked them, and the dude said it's in the back and that he can't put them out yet..i told him that my other best buy (which is farther away unfortunately) had the 300 dics out on saturday...BEFORE THE AD EVEN CAME OUT!!!

he still said no..so i'll just go back after school tomorrow

gonna get enter the dragon, se7en, heat, and v for vendetta...they didnt have goodfellas :(

any suggestions on the other dvds? i havent heard what the others are about and lots of the movies dont have descriptions of the plot on the back of them since they're special editions...any suggestions? i'm looking for mafia-type movies like the godfather and scarface[/quote]

You might want to check out Mystic River, not a mafia movie but good nonetheless.

I found a BB employee that actually DID her job. I saw that there were no more Goodfellas 2-disc editions on the shelves so I asked her if there might be more somewhere. After checking the computer which indicated they had some in the store, she literally spent 15 minutes helping me look on most of the DVD shelves then told me she would go to the back and check. Sure enough, after another 5 minutes she came back with two copies of it. She could have easily told me if it wasn't on the shelf, they must be out, which is typically what happens.

Ended up snagging it, Bullitt and a 300 DVD w/ ticket along with some clearance games. The girl at the cash register actually double checked that she scanned everything in when the grand total came up to $26.xx.

[quote name='swetooth9']

any suggestions on the other dvds? i havent heard what the others are about and lots of the movies dont have descriptions of the plot on the back of them since they're special editions...any suggestions? i'm looking for mafia-type movies like the godfather and scarface[/QUOTE]

unforgiven (it's a western, but it has a lot of that ganster ethos to it)
mystic river (as suggested already)
bullitt

Went to BB earlier for videogame clearance, which was an ultimate failure. Purchased Lost Boys SE $10 and a Captain Jack "Cannibal" Bobble-head for $1 came back to school.

Found out about the glitch... Went to class...Went back to BB after class...returned Lost Boys SE
Bought:
Enter The Dragon
Lost Boys
V for Vendetta
Heat

and grabbed 4 300 promos for a grand total of $21.00 even actually $22.00 if I include Jack Sparrow bobble-head

I really wanted Se7en, BB employee checked said they had two we looked at shelves... no dice and he insisted that customers must be walking around with the two copies.

Thanks so much for this thread it really made my day after the whole videogame deal going to hell.

thansk for the suggestions...anyone try other 9.99 dvd's other than the ones listed?

anyone thinks the deal works with any 9.99 dvd?

I don't know if this is mentioned, but you can also get free 300 tickets with each DVD.

so yesterday I picked up 4 DVDs and 4 300 Movie Tickets for $20.... Win win win

[quote name='swetooth9']yea, i'm thinking about that too

enter the dragon
scarface
goodfellas
heat
v for vendetta
se7en

for me hopefully tomorrow[/QUOTE]

that is one kick ass stack of manly movie goodness

let us know how it goes

Thanks OP,

went today and got

Amadeus Directors Cut 2 Disc
Citizen Kane 2-disc
Mystic River 3 Disc
Enter the Dragon 2 Disc

along with two 300 movie tickets. Most of the other good $9.99 movies I already own so I didn't bother to pick them up again.

[quote name='swetooth9']thansk for the suggestions...anyone try other 9.99 dvd's other than the ones listed?

anyone thinks the deal works with any 9.99 dvd?[/quote]

Nope it doesn't work with every 9.99 DVD. I tried it with Scarface initially...didn't work when the guy hit return at checkout. MOST of the movies that this works with have special yellow tags at their regular locations but with an added circular tag popping out from the rack. I don't know how else to explain it, but this is an extra yellow bubble tag that pops out perpendicular to the shelf, and other 9.99 movies on special with yellow tags do NOT have this (I noticed Something's Gotta Give and some other lame dramedy didn't have it, but were priced at 9.99).

But with Se7en and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, it worked at checkout (it was saying 19.98 then the screen popped up, guy hit enter and it went to 9.99 pre tax).

works with (I did it with):

Se7en
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Chariots of Fire
Goodfellas

Also works for sure with:

Batman
Batman Begins
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Mystic River
Constantine
Enter the Dragon
King Kong Special Edition
a bunch of other shit

Just MAKE SURE if you don't find the movie in the section with the rest of these that do work, but find it in their regular section (under drama, action, etc.) that you get the right version or edition. My BB had a ton of King Kong Full Screen and Widescreen, but these were not part of the deal since they are not the Special Edition.

The ones that it works with for sure were in a section at the front of the DVD section, right next to the "new releases" and $19.99 brand new releases of the last few weeks. They should have their own special area.

[quote name='karkyco']Nope it doesn't work with every 9.99 DVD. I tried it with Scarface initially...didn't work when the guy hit return at checkout. .[/QUOTE]

dang!

oh well... i guess i can't complain since so many other quality titles are part of this

thank you for clarifying this

[quote name='PKRipp3r']if i had to guess i'd say it's these titles...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat113500050021&type=category&parentCatID=false&initialize=true&_requestid=83037

but there might be more that would work...

i was thinking about that Scarface[/quote]

Scarface for sure didn't work. Was it in that list from Best Buy...didn't see it there. But as I scanned the list, yep 90% of those I remember for sure were either in the special section (Amadeus, Enter the Dragon, Mystic River, Giant, etc.) and the others I mostly remember from their sections with the special double yellow tags. I didn't try each one, but figured those would be the best bets. Some were absolutely gone, like King Kong SE, Serenity, Citizen Kane, Casablanca...

[quote name='karkyco']Scarface for sure didn't work. Was it in that list from Best Buy...didn't see it there. But as I scanned the list, yep 90% of those I remember for sure were either in the special section (Amadeus, Enter the Dragon, Mystic River, Giant, etc.) and the others I mostly remember from their sections with the special double yellow tags. I didn't try each one, but figured those would be the best bets. Some were absolutely gone, like King Kong SE, Serenity, Citizen Kane, Casablanca...[/QUOTE]

yeah, all those Warner Special Editions work for sure

some of the lower priced stuff isn't in i guess...

i'm glad you tried Scarface specifically b/c that's the one i didn't get that i wanted the most

i can wait though...

*dives into pile of blow on desk and kicks you all out of thread*

bread's done
Back