Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked 2 years $60 (50% discount)

Trustn01

CAGiversary!
I've been waiting for this deal to come back around.  Best Buy will be running a half-off their Gamers Club Unlocked membership from 5/25 - 5/31.  It's normally $119.99 and will be on sale for $60.  They run this promo every once in a while and it makes the membership worthwhile.

Assuming Best Buy is still around for 2 years, here's what you'll get:

Gamers Club Unlocked Benefits:
Get 20% off new video games for 2 full years
Get 2x base points on new video game software, digital content, and game accessories
Get 2 points for every dollar when you trade-in games
Get points on gaming consoles
Redeem Reward Certificates on nearly everything at Best Buy
10% bonus trade-in credit on your video game software trade-ins
10% off pre-owned games
Buy two, get the third free on pre-owned games via special welcome coupon
Save 50% on a new strategy guide via special welcome coupon

I'm still not sure what's going on with their magazine but I assume if it's still being posted digitally, it would probably be included also.

How much of the benefits of this service are in-store only? The closest Best Buy I have to me is like a 2 hour drive, so I really only go maybe once every month or two, and if I were to benefit, from most of it, I'd have to do it online.
check this thread out I made earlier they locked it on me unfortunely but it should have all the information you are wanting about GCU http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/331072-best-buy-gcu-2-years-60-50-discount-all-questions-answered-in-op/

2x the points is also a nice bonus. $5 reward certificate for every 250 points works out to a little less than 3 new releases after the 20% off. also gets the point bump on trade ins.

one thing to note if it hasnt already been said, the 20% does not work when price matching. works on items already on sale but not on PMs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make a third thread on a subject, expect it to be locked. You could have easily posted that in this thread and people would see it.
This thread will be huge once the deal goes live & if the correct info isn`t in the OP this thread will be full of repeat basic GCU questions. The OP should either copy dreamer`s link or update the OP himself. A mod may have to if the OP abandoned the thread.

Make a third thread on a subject, expect it to be locked. You could have easily posted that in this thread and people would see it.
true but in my op I stated that and I stated the reason for the repost was cause there to much information misinformation in this OP such as digital magazine coming with New GCU which is not true and also the remark "If best buy is still around". My was to be updated constantly as needed. Anyone who seen any of my daily threads or older ones know I keep my stuff as updated and detailed as possible to help other cags a lot easier.

This thread will be huge once the deal goes live & if the correct info isn`t in the OP this thread will be full of repeat basic GCU questions. The OP should either copy dreamer`s link or update the OP himself. A mod may have to if the OP abandoned the thread.
Thank you. But also even if they copy the my link it still wont help much you know. Cause at the bottom of my OP I even mentioned I would update the OP with Any other needed questions without answers that wasn't answered to the OP to stop the prevent of repeat questions. But since they locked that Thread it will be impossible for me to update it. This Thread will be Huge and questions will get lost in the thread. That was the purpose of mine to update with more and more information as time go by to limit the unnecessary post and allow those with unanswered questions to get them answer. When I make a thread I always update it and answer questions my thread bring. I haven't seen the OP of this thread answer one question yet in his own thread people have asked.

I bought into GCU during the last sale and to be honest I rather regret it so far. I'm not doing as much Best Buy shopping or videogame purchasing as general as I thought I would.

If you buy multiple games a month it's likely worthwhile though.

Question for my fellow CAG. Is the 20% off new games the main reason why people are excited about this deal? I did read the other perks associated with the GCU membership and I have read everyone's post on this forum and the other 2 forums in regards to this topic. Everybody really only seems to mention the 20% with the GCU and essentially can't you you just use a 20% off pre-owned games birthday coupon from GameStop stacked with the additional 10% if your a pur member and save more money on games? I know this is kinda like comparing apples to oranges (pre-owned to new) but I'm trying to see if I am missing the big picture here? The GCU sounds like a great deal for a large family or someone that buys games every month. Maybe I just answered my own question but I a reply from a fellow CAG member would be most helpful. Just trying to see if this is a great value for me. Thanks!

I bought into GCU during the last sale and to be honest I rather regret it so far. I'm not doing as much Best Buy shopping or videogame purchasing as general as I thought I would.

If you buy multiple games a month it's likely worthwhile though.
you still have a year and a half left. Im sure you going going to make the money back and then some within that time.

Question for my fellow CAG. Is the 20% off new games the main reason why people are excited about this deal? I did read the other perks associated with the GCU membership and I have read everyone's post on this forum and the other 2 forums in regards to this topic. Everybody really only seems to mention the 20% with the GCU and essentially can't you you just use a 20% off pre-owned games birthday coupon from GameStop stacked with the additional 10% if your a pur member and save more money on games? I know this is kinda like comparing apples to oranges (pre-owned to new) but I'm trying to see if I am missing the big picture here? The GCU sounds like a great deal for a large family or someone that buys games every month. Maybe I just answered my own question but I a reply from a fellow CAG member would be most helpful. Just trying to see if this is a great value for me. Thanks!
Most of us think of GCU as a total package thru BB meaning if done correctly BB will pay you to play for 2 yrs & since BB matches most other retailers their credit is more valuable than other retailers credit. Depending on how you shop would determine the value. Since the 20% comes of sale prices & stacks with coupons/promos we`re able to get Black Friday prices w/i a month or so of release while trade in values at BB are still high. So instead of waiting months to get a new game for $30 we just wait for a $39.99 sale & buy it for $32.99 usually the trade in value will be around $30 so it`s cheaper than redbox plus you earn tons of mybb pts to make future purchases cheaper.

The main myth people bring up is you have to buy $60 games for it to be worth it which is wrong $60 games just get you even faster.The titanfall CE would save $50 + the tax on the $50 out of $60 to break even. 2 $150 CE`s over 2 yrs & you break even. Alot of us have already gotten well over $120 worth of value even though we only spent $30 & that`s not having to include additional purchases for others.

You may save $60 during Oct-Dec since that`s when alot of premier titles release along with alot of sales. But you can just add up since what you spent last Dec. & you have a 6 month track record.

I currently have three pre-orders at my local store (Watch Dogs, Mario Kart 8 and Destiny) all paid off.  If I sign up for this on Sunday will they credit me back 20% off of each game or is it only for future purchases AFTER I sign up?

I currently have three pre-orders at my local store (Watch Dogs, Mario Kart 8 and Destiny) all paid off. If I sign up for this on Sunday will they credit me back 20% off of each game or is it only for future purchases AFTER I sign up?
Taken from the other post:

Q: If I have already pre-ordered games, will the 20% off be applied to those orders?
A: This will depend on whether you placed these pre-orders in-store or through BestBuy.com

• In-Store:
    If you pre-ordered in-store, you will receive the 20% off benefit as long as you are an active Gamers Club Unlocked member when you pick up your pre-order. You will need to ensure your My Best Buy account is added to the purchase when the game is picked up.
  • BestBuy.com:
    If you pre-ordered on BestBuy.com for either Store Pickup or shipping, we are not able to add this benefit to your existing order. You will need to either cancel and re-do your pre-order or return and repurchase the game once it is fulfilled to get the 20% off. To receive this benefit going forward, you will need to ensure that you are signed in to your BestBuy.com account when you place an order and have your My Best Buy account linked to your BestBuy.com account.

In the last 6 months or so,

Most of us think of GCU as a total package thru BB meaning if done correctly BB will pay you to play for 2 yrs & since BB matches most other retailers their credit is more valuable than other retailers credit. Depending on how you shop would determine the value. Since the 20% comes of sale prices & stacks with coupons/promos we`re able to get Black Friday prices w/i a month or so of release while trade in values at BB are still high. So instead of waiting months to get a new game for $30 we just wait for a $39.99 sale & buy it for $32.99 usually the trade in value will be around $30 so it`s cheaper than redbox plus you earn tons of mybb pts to make future purchases cheaper.

The main myth people bring up is you have to buy $60 games for it to be worth it which is wrong $60 games just get you even faster.The titanfall CE would save $50 + the tax on the $50 out of $60 to break even. 2 $150 CE`s over 2 yrs & you break even. Alot of us have already gotten well over $120 worth of value even though we only spent $30 & that`s not having to include additional purchases for others.

You may save $60 during Oct-Dec since that`s when alot of premier titles release along with alot of sales. But you can just add up since what you spent last Dec. & you have a 6 month track record.
Lately, Best Buy's sales have been pretty week. Since Thanksgiving (I guess the last 6 months or so), I've spent about $75 at Best Buy in terms of games. Now, considering 2 of those 6 games were pricematched (which makes GCU worthless), that leaves me with about $50 in games. By not paying $60, I spent $10 extra dollars, and at this rate I'll have failed to save around $40. What a fucking shame :whistle2:(

So yeah, needless to say, GCU is a complete waste for someone like me. If you buy a ton of CE's, Day 1 buys, or a complete assload of $40 games, or even trade in most of your collection, then yeah, you may benefit. That doesn't seem consistent with the typical CAG, whose focus is cheap games, not Day 1 games or overpriced CE's. Or if you only ever shop at BB and don't bother to PM Amazon/Frys/Newegg/Target/ect then I guess you'll see some benefit too, but if you do that why even come to this site? And to add onto that, aren't some of Best Buy's sales saying that GCU doesn't apply (the recent B1G1 50% for instance?)

I'm not trying to speak for everybody here, but for the love of god let's let others make their own decisions rather than push them towards a decision they may regret with crazy math (seriously, $150 CE's?). To benefit, somebody will need to spend $300 in games over the next two years. Not accessories, not systems, just pure games. All at Best Buy. None of them PMed. Aside from you Day 1 gamers, I don't know a lot of people that do that.

So yeah, that's my rant. If Best Buy wants to apply GCU to pricematches, and apply it to movies/CDs/accessories, then maybe I'll bite myself. But for now it seems a pretty weak gamble at best.

FWIW my roommate does have GCU and has never been able to get any of the 3 local BB stores to honor his GCU discount on any collector's edition, with employees quoting some line that says bundles including accessories or w/e don't qualify. So using GCU on CE's may be a YMMV situation?

Last edited:
Quote name="rcerboss" post="11777735" timestamp="1400702163"]In the last 6 months or so, 

Lately, Best Buy's sales have been pretty week.  Since Thanksgiving (I guess the last 6 months or so), I've spent about $75 at Best Buy in terms of games.  Now, considering 2 of those 6 games were pricematched (which makes GCU worthless), that leaves me with about $50 in games.  By not paying $60, I spent $10 extra dollars, and at this rate I'll have failed to save around $40.  What a fucking shame  :whistle2:
So yeah, needless to say, GCU is a complete waste for someone like me.  If you buy a ton of CE's, Day 1 buys, or a complete assload of $40 games, or even trade in most of your collection, then yeah, you may benefit.  That doesn't seem consistent with the typical CAG, whose focus is cheap games, not Day 1 games or overpriced CE's.  Or if you only ever shop at BB and don't bother to PM Amazon/Frys/Newegg/Target/ect then I guess you'll see some benefit too, but if you do that why even come to this site?  And to add onto that, aren't some of Best Buy's sales saying that GCU doesn't apply (the recent B1G1 50% for instance?)
I'm not trying to speak for everybody here, but for the love of god let's let others make their own decisions rather than push them towards a decision they may regret with crazy math (seriously, $150 CE's?).  To benefit, somebody will need to spend $300 in games over the next two years.  Not accessories, not systems, just pure games.  All at Best Buy.  None of them PMed.  Aside from you Day 1 gamers, I don't know a lot of people that do that.

So yeah, that's my rant.  If Best Buy wants to apply GCU to pricematches, and apply it to movies/CDs/accessories, then maybe I'll bite myself.  But for now it seems a pretty weak gamble at best.

FWIW my roommate does have GCU and has never been able to get any of the 3 local BB stores to honor his GCU discount on any collector's edition, with employees quoting some line that says bundles including accessories or w/e don't qualify.  So using GCU on CE's may be a YMMV situation?
[/quote]This is exactly what I thought too but wanted to get more clarity from CAG brethren. My best friend works for Best Buy and has been there for 7 years and he said that the GCU is a running joke around his store. Like I said before I wanted to see if I was missing the big picture. If you live in a big city like I do then you'll have multiple GameStops that will have pre-owned copies of games that just game out. The GameStop by me already has Wolfenstein for $55 pre-owned. So why not buy that game from there for around $40 ($40 is cheaper than $48), play it, beat it, and then sell it to someone for the same $40 you paid for it? Now you are playing games for free doing it like that. Maybe I am different from most on this thread but I only buy around 3 games a year on release day, as most of what I buy for as games are concerned are discounted (thus the reason we are all here lol). I'm not trying to knock anyone's opinion here just simply stating how I few this GCU topic.

Lately, Best Buy's sales have been pretty week. Since Thanksgiving (I guess the last 6 months or so), I've spent about $75 at Best Buy in terms of games. Now, considering 2 of those 6 games were pricematched (which makes GCU worthless), that leaves me with about $50 in games. By not paying $60, I spent $10 extra dollars, and at this rate I'll have failed to save around $40. What a fucking shame :whistle2:(
So yeah, needless to say, GCU is a complete waste for someone like me. If you buy a ton of CE's, Day 1 buys, or a complete assload of $40 games, or even trade in most of your collection, then yeah, you may benefit. That doesn't seem consistent with the typical CAG, whose focus is cheap games, not Day 1 games or overpriced CE's. Or if you only ever shop at BB and don't bother to PM Amazon/Frys/Newegg/Target/ect then I guess you'll see some benefit too, but if you do that why even come to this site? And to add onto that, aren't some of Best Buy's sales saying that GCU doesn't apply (the recent B1G1 50% for instance?)
I'm not trying to speak for everybody here, but for the love of god let's let others make their own decisions rather than push them towards a decision they may regret with crazy math (seriously, $150 CE's?). To benefit, somebody will need to spend $300 in games over the next two years. Not accessories, not systems, just pure games. All at Best Buy. None of them PMed. Aside from you Day 1 gamers, I don't know a lot of people that do that.

So yeah, that's my rant. If Best Buy wants to apply GCU to pricematches, and apply it to movies/CDs/accessories, then maybe I'll bite myself. But for now it seems a pretty weak gamble at best.

FWIW my roommate does have GCU and has never been able to get any of the 3 local BB stores to honor his GCU discount on any collector's edition, with employees quoting some line that says bundles including accessories or w/e don't qualify. So using GCU on CE's may be a YMMV situation?
This is exactly what I thought too but wanted to get more clarity from CAG brethren. My best friend works for Best Buy and has been there for 7 years and he said that the GCU is a running joke around his store. Like I said before I wanted to see if I was missing the big picture. If you live in a big city like I do then you'll have multiple GameStops that will have pre-owned copies of games that just came out. The GameStop by me already has Wolfenstein for $55 pre-owned. So why not buy that game from there for around $40 with the birthday coupon and pur ($40 is cheaper than GCU's $48), play it, beat it, and then sell it to someone for the same $40 you paid for it? Now you are playing games for free doing it like that. Maybe I am different from most on this thread but I only buy around 3 games a year on release day, as most of what I buy for as games are concerned are discounted (thus the reason we are all here lol). I think if you buy a bunch of newly released games a year (6 or more a year) then GCU is for you. I'm not trying to knock anyone's opinion here just simply stating how I view this GCU topic. Sorry for the double post.

This is exactly what I thought too but wanted to get more clarity from CAG brethren. My best friend works for Best Buy and has been there for 7 years and he said that the GCU is a running joke around his store. Like I said before I wanted to see if I was missing the big picture. If you live in a big city like I do then you'll have multiple GameStops that will have pre-owned copies of games that just game out. The GameStop by me already has Wolfenstein for $55 pre-owned. So why not buy that game from there for around $40 ($40 is cheaper than $48), play it, beat it, and then sell it to someone for the same $40 you paid for it? Now you are playing games for free doing it like that. Maybe I am different from most on this thread but I only buy around 3 games a year on release day, as most of what I buy for as games are concerned are discounted (thus the reason we are all here lol). I'm not trying to knock anyone's opinion here just simply stating how I few this GCU topic. Sorry for the double post.
In addition to the 20% off any new game, some other pretty good benefits are:
  • bonus RZ/MyBestBuy points on game purchases
  • occasional bonus RZ/MyBestBuy points on pre-orders
  • bonus % on trading in your games

This is exactly what I thought too but wanted to get more clarity from CAG brethren. My best friend works for Best Buy and has been there for 7 years and he said that the GCU is a running joke around his store. Like I said before I wanted to see if I was missing the big picture. If you live in a big city like I do then you'll have multiple GameStops that will have pre-owned copies of games that just game out. The GameStop by me already has Wolfenstein for $55 pre-owned. So why not buy that game from there for around $40 with the birthday coupon and pur ($40 is cheaper than GCU's $48), play it, beat it, and then sell it to someone for the same $40 you paid for it? Now you are playing games for free doing it like that. Maybe I am different from most on this thread but I only buy around 3 games a year on release day, as most of what I buy for as games are concerned are discounted (thus the reason we are all here lol). I'm not trying to knock anyone's opinion here just simply stating how I few this GCU topic. Sorry for the double post.
Just how many birthdays do you plan to have?

I think it was a great deal at $30 back a few months ago. Mine expired in April 2013 and I failed to renew for $15 b/c life got busy and I did no trades/shopping between April and September.

Suddenly during the last 4 months of 2013 there were a lot of great deals from various retailers I did a flurry of trades (about $100 in base values) at Best Buy and missed out on the xtra 10%, which would have covered $10 the $15 cost of the extra year subscription. I was able to live with that because i was still $5 ahead. But when the service changed and the $30 deal came up I was out in the cold because I was too far removed from the old program and I didn't get one of those emails to help me get 2 years for $30 either.

Then I did some more trades when Blockbuster closed and in the end, between April 2013 and April 2014 I traded about $200 base value worth of games and lost out on $5, various magazine coupons and deals and the "$30 for 2 years" offer.

The moral of the story is that if you want the $60 deal, go get it because you don't know what the future holds. You may look back like i did and wish that you had spend the money, especially if you trade-in a lot.

everyday is his birthday
You got-dang right everyday is my birthday lol, and for the record I hardly ever buy from GameStop but I do have the pur membership. I mostly buy games from AWD,Gamefly, or wherever I can snag a good deal. I was simply stating that if I could not wait until the game got to $20 (which is my buy in for most games) or could not find a cheaper alternative from the sites mentioned above, then I would go the GameStop birthday coupon route.

I think it was a great deal at $30 back a few months ago. Mine expired in April 2013 and I failed to renew for $15 b/c life got busy and I did no trades/shopping between April and September.

Suddenly during the last 4 months of 2013 there were a lot of great deals from various retailers I did a flurry of trades (about $100 in base values) at Best Buy and missed out on the xtra 10%, which would have covered $10 the $15 cost of the extra year subscription. I was able to live with that because i was still $5 ahead. But when the service changed and the $30 deal came up I was out in the cold because I was too far removed from the old program and I didn't get one of those emails to help me get 2 years for $30 either.

Then I did some more trades when Blockbuster closed and in the end, between April 2013 and April 2014 I traded about $200 base value worth of games and lost out on $5, various magazine coupons and deals and the "$30 for 2 years" offer.

The moral of the story is that if you want the $60 deal, go get it because you don't know what the future holds. You may look back like i did and wish that you had spend the money, especially if you trade-in a lot.
Or you could spend the money, be forced to weather 2 years of shitty deals and low TiV, and regret pissing away $60. That's my point: It's a gamble, and it seems like a weak one at that. If you could get GCU applied to PMes it becomes a much safer bet.... and while I don't buy many games from Best Buy anymore lord knows I've bought plenty of movies from them since getting my 3D TV, GCU would be much more helpful to me there.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with your sorcery, wizard. O:)

You would think GS would catch on.
I do not condone abusing the GameStop birthday coupon and for the record I have never actually used that coupon myself. But if I just had to play every game ever made and wanted to buy brand newer titles at a cheap price I would simply use it at multiple GameStop stores.

It's $2.50 a month. Some people would spend that much in gas on a single trip to a further afield GS or other store. It's all relative.

I'm not really interested in abusing the birthday coupon, so I have to take things on face value. I just looked up two games I'm interested in right now: NSMB2 and COD Ghosts, and both would be $5 cheaper at BB than with PUR at current pricing for both. I buy one, that's two months of membership paid.

I think people just need to take their buying habits into account. There's at least three Wii U games I want to buy before the year is out, four DS games and right there if form holds true I've about paid for the membership in my savings above the straight PUR discount. Plus preorder bonuses and certificates. The other aspect too is that while BB may not price match, you may get them to put games on sale of their own accord before you see AAA used price drops at GS. Some of the used prices in there are more expensive than I see sales for new.

It's $2.50 a month. Some people would spend that much in gas on a single trip to a further afield GS or other store. It's all relative.

I'm not really interested in abusing the birthday coupon, so I have to take things on face value. I just looked up two games I'm interested in right now: NSMB2 and COD Ghosts, and both would be $5 cheaper at BB than with PUR at current pricing for both. I buy one, that's two months of membership paid.

I think people just need to take their buying habits into account. There's at least three Wii U games I want to buy before the year is out, four DS games and right there if form holds true I've about paid for the membership in my savings above the straight PUR discount. Plus preorder bonuses and certificates. The other aspect too is that while BB may not price match, you may get them to put games on sale of their own accord before you see AAA used price drops at GS. Some of the used prices in there are more expensive than I see sales for new.
But that's why you shop around and do your homework. I am buying games from whoever has them the cheapest and that is rarely GameStop so in that regard I agree with you 100% but I think if most people would just wait until the price of a particular game drops then you'll get more bang for your buck. Everything being relative its not like Best Buy drops the price of games that has only been out for 2 weeks, and we all know that with the longer you wait to trade a game in the lower the tiv goes. Best Buy's tiv for Wolfenstein is $33 with GCU and that horrible IMO since that game just came out what yesterday? I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk or pushy but you have so many people on this thread and other related threads telling people that if they don't sign up for this GCU at $60 they are stupid and that this is a no brainer like this is the best thing since slice bread. I'm not trying to sway anyone just simply stating facts. Just adding more of my two cents on this friendly conversation.

I wonder how it affects people like me who don't trade. I buy a game, keep it. Generally if I get rid of it it's quite a long time later when the TIV is gone anyway.

I wonder how it affects people like me who don't trade. I buy a game, keep it. Generally if I get rid of it it's quite a long time later when the TIV is gone anyway.
Do you buy a lot of games, especially on release day? If so then it's a good deal. Otherwise you could save by waiting.

Rcerboss I agree it is a gamble...a gamble I regret not taking when it was $15/year but a gamble I am personally not willing to take for $30 year, especially since I don't buy used games from BB, and it is extremely rare that I will pay more than $40 for a new game.

But if you buy new and used games and do trade ins at Best Buy, $30 is a good deal. If you are a new game buyer then just 1 new purchases on a $60 games saves u $13.08 per game in CA after tax. U only need to buy 5 new games over 2 years to come out ahead $5.40.

It all depends on what you do.

Do you buy a lot of games, especially on release day? If so then it's a good deal. Otherwise you could save by waiting.
I only recently got back into gaming after letting it go for a bit. But the last few AAA games were release day or week ones. Going forward may be about a 50/50 split.

$15 for PUR is acceptable. $30 for this is a bridge too far?

But that's why you shop around and do your homework. I am buying games from whoever has them the cheapest and that is rarely GameStop so in that regard I agree with you 100% but I think if most people would just wait until the price of a particular game drops then you'll get more bang for your buck. Everything being relative its not like Best Buy drops the price of games that has only been out for 2 weeks, and we all know that with the longer you wait to trade a game in the lower the tiv goes. Best Buy's tiv for Wolfenstein is $33 with GCU and that horrible IMO since that game just came out what yesterday?
Not trying to be a jerk, but If you did your homework on Wolfenstein like you say, you would know that any My Best Buy member who preordered Wolfenstein will be getting a $20 reward certificate as well as a $5 e-gift card. They have plenty of big releases that are getting a $10 reward certificate. A GCU member will be getting these games for $48+tax. $33 TIV for Wolfenstein is not "horrible" when you consider everything Best Buy has offered. A similar value should stick for a reasonable amount of time. Even if it was only a $10 certificate, it would be a good offer.

GCU is a big part of what makes Best Buy the best place to buy games right now imo and $60 for 2 years is a great deal. Waiting for sales is fine too. GCU discount stacks with sale prices, which I think some people don't understand. It's not just for new release games at full retail price.

For uote name="Konfusion" post="11778287" timestamp="1400712240"]Not trying to be a jerk, but If you did your homework on Wolfenstein like you say, you would know that any My Best Buy member who preordered Wolfenstein will be getting a $20 reward certificate as well as a $5 e-gift card. They have plenty of big releases that are getting a $10 reward certificate. A GCU member will be getting these games for $48+tax. $33 TIV for Wolfenstein is not "horrible" when you consider everything Best Buy has offered. A similar value should stick for a reasonable amount of time. Even if it was only a $10 certificate, it would be a good offer.

GCU is a big part of what makes Best Buy the best place to buy games right now imo and $60 for 2 years is a great deal. Waiting for sales is fine too. GCU discount stacks with sale prices, which I think some people don't understand. It's not just for new release games at full retail price.[/quobe] No offense taken bro, I'm not saying that GCU does not have value but as stated before by others this is not for everyone. And I never said that I did my homework on Wolfenstein, only used that as an example of tiv since it was released yesterday. Now as for as the $25 in rewards point that you hung your hat on, Dell.com offered this exact same promo which I will admit was worth while. But other than the Wolfenstein promo I have not really seen any deals for the Best Buy gamer members for next gen games (I'm sure more deals are to come for next gen consoles). Best Buy had an amazing deal last month on Assassin's Creed 4 at $15 but for the 360 and PS3. I poised a question early about the added value for this membership and you were the only person that made the most since in defense of buying this. All in all I am happy to shed light on the cons of the GCU since not too much refuted information has been said. Hopefully now people can read our comments and view them from different angles and make their decision based on their buying habits.

Not trying to be a jerk, but If you did your homework on Wolfenstein like you say, you would know that any My Best Buy member who preordered Wolfenstein will be getting a $20 reward certificate as well as a $5 e-gift card. They have plenty of big releases that are getting a $10 reward certificate. A GCU member will be getting these games for $48+tax. $33 TIV for Wolfenstein is not "horrible" when you consider everything Best Buy has offered. A similar value should stick for a reasonable amount of time. Even if it was only a $10 certificate, it would be a good offer.

GCU is a big part of what makes Best Buy the best place to buy games right now imo and $60 for 2 years is a great deal. Waiting for sales is fine too. GCU discount stacks with sale prices, which I think some people don't understand. It's not just for new release games at full retail price.
No offense taken bro, I'm not saying that GCU does not have value but as stated before by others this is not for everyone. And I never said that I did my homework on Wolfenstein, only used that as an example of tiv since it was released yesterday. Now as for as the $25 in rewards point that you hung your hat on, Dell.com offered this exact same promo which I will admit was worth while. But other than the Wolfenstein promo I have not really seen any deals for the Best Buy gamer members for next gen games (I'm sure more deals are to come for next gen consoles). Best Buy had an amazing deal last month on Assassin's Creed 4 at $15 but for the 360 and PS3. I poised a question early about the added value for this membership and you were the only person that made the most since in defense of buying this. All in all I am happy to shed light on the cons of the GCU since not too much refuted information has been said. Hopefully now people can read our comments and view them from different angles and make their decision based on their buying habits.

Rcerboss I agree it is a gamble...a gamble I regret not taking when it was $15/year but a gamble I am personally not willing to take for $30 year, especially since I don't buy used games from BB, and it is extremely rare that I will pay more than $40 for a new game.

But if you buy new and used games and do trade ins at Best Buy, $30 is a good deal. If you are a new game buyer then just 1 new purchases on a $60 games saves u $13.08 per game in CA after tax. U only need to buy 5 new games over 2 years to come out ahead $5.40.

It all depends on what you do.
you might change you about not paying more than $40 for a new game, and being a gcu member after you read this

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/Titanfall-Free-Upgrade-to-Collector-s-Edition/td-p/785771

Now as for as the $25 in rewards point that you hung your hat on, Dell.com offered this exact same promo which I will admit was worth while. But other than the Wolfenstein promo I have not really seen any deals for the Best Buy gamer members for next gen games (I'm sure more deals are to come for next gen consoles). Best Buy had an amazing deal last month on Assassin's Creed 4 at $15 but for the 360 and PS3.
Dell e-gift cards can expire fairly quickly, like as soon as 30 days in some cases from what I have read on CAG. I would take Best Buy credit over Dell.com credit every time anyway. As far as other deals go, it's not just Wolfenstein that has rewards certs for preordering. They have $10 certs on 14 upcoming games. These aren't even Gamers Club deals, you only have to be a My Best Buy member to get them, which is a free membership. I mention the reward certs because Gamers Club members are buying these games for $12 less than everyone else AND also getting the reward certs on top of that, then trade the game in and repeat the process with the next preorder. Best Buy has also had next gen games on sale for $40 plenty of times this year, making them $32 for GCU members. It doesn't take very many new games at all to justify the price of the membership. We are talking about a 2 year membership. That is a lot of time to take advantage of the 20% off games, not to mention the other benefits.

Now obviously you could wait for a $10 Gamefly deal on every game you want to play and save money that way, but I'm not a fan of that mentality. If you know how to take advantage of $48 games + $10 certs + trade in promos, then you can be playing new titles with little to no cost after the initial game and GCU membership. Best Buy has had $40 base TIV on games plenty of times, which makes it $44 after GCU bonus. Heck, they are still giving $30 base for some PS4 launch titles from November. Also realize values CAN go up at Best Buy, not just down. They fluctuate depending on whether there is a 100%/50% or no bonus.

If you're a guy who doesn't trade and doesn't buy new releases, then GCU may not be as valuable, but even that guy could still get his money's worth in the 2 years the membership lasts.

OK I guess you guys answered my question. I have til 2017. I guess you can stack up. So I will buy another membership once it goes up for sale.

Easy way to earn gift cards

Swag Bucks

swagbucks.com/refer/Cuauhtblanco

Shopkick sign up thru here and get 50 points to start.

http://get.shopkick.com/fell24306

Is there proof of this promo? The OP says it starts on 5/25, will it be in the weekly ad? Or someway easy for me to show the incompetent Best Buy employees?

I'm not trying to speak for everybody here, but for the love of god let's let others make their own decisions
then goes on to try and convince people.

i'll give my standard response (again).

if you are happy trading in games you finish within 1-3 months of purchase. GCU is an great deal.
if you like to buy a lot of games on day 1. GCU is a great deal
If you do both...it's amazing... wow. just wow. I bought Infamous day 1, beat it, traded it in 4 weeks after release, and ended up with $20 more credit than i started with. because of GCU.

Some CAGs like to acquire games for the cheapest price possible and keep the games in a library. GCU is not for you. IMHO.

If you are a CAG like me that likes to play a lot of games close to when they come out, but likes to limit your net cost, GCU is definitely for you.

no one is trying to talk anyone into anything. some people try and justify their own purchase...or justify not puchasing. i like data.

The 20% off new games makes it worth it. Buy 6 games and you already made up from the price.

Also, you get tons of deals. I remember games being FREE after a GCU discount.

Edit: Best Buy Credit Card is currently offering 10% back. Mario Kart 8 currently has a preorder bonus of $10.

I can also stack GCU with it. This is going to be hell of a deal...

I think the problem is we don't know when gamestop will start putting unique code for the b-day coupon. atlease with GCU, your guarantee to get 20% off. Also, please do not mention BBY going the way of CC. BBY may not make aapl like profits, but they are doing financially ok.

The 20% off new games makes it worth it. Buy 6 games and you already made up from the price.

Also, you get tons of deals. I remember games being FREE after a GCU discount.

Edit: Best Buy Credit Card is currently offering 10% back. Mario Kart 8 currently has a preorder bonus of $10.

I can also stack GCU with it. This is going to be hell of a deal...
wow, i haven't use my bby cc in yrs. might be about time to whip this bad boy out again.

So a quick question. I've got a bunch of BB credit. If I purchase GCU for 60, then preorder Watch Dogs, I get 12.00 off, plus the 10.00 preorder credit effectively making those games with the 10.00 preorder incentive 38.00? Just wondering if 3 preorders would essentially pay for GCU since I'm only using credit to begin with.

Only an idiot would say it isn't worth it... Yea you might not have saved much now but its a TWO YEAR SUBSCRIPTION. If you can't save $60 in two years you're not really a gamer and probably shouldn't be on a site for gamers

bread's done
Back