Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked 2 years $60 (50% discount)

Trustn01

CAGiversary!
I've been waiting for this deal to come back around.  Best Buy will be running a half-off their Gamers Club Unlocked membership from 5/25 - 5/31.  It's normally $119.99 and will be on sale for $60.  They run this promo every once in a while and it makes the membership worthwhile.

Assuming Best Buy is still around for 2 years, here's what you'll get:

Gamers Club Unlocked Benefits:
Get 20% off new video games for 2 full years
Get 2x base points on new video game software, digital content, and game accessories
Get 2 points for every dollar when you trade-in games
Get points on gaming consoles
Redeem Reward Certificates on nearly everything at Best Buy
10% bonus trade-in credit on your video game software trade-ins
10% off pre-owned games
Buy two, get the third free on pre-owned games via special welcome coupon
Save 50% on a new strategy guide via special welcome coupon

I'm still not sure what's going on with their magazine but I assume if it's still being posted digitally, it would probably be included also.

For those of you picking up (or picked up) a GCU membership, know that iBotta is giving $10 cashback (paypal) for spending $100+ @ Bestbuy this week (and next).

$60 gcu

$48 Watchdogs (with $10 pre-order cert)

This is all you'll need to get the $10 cashback.   

You'll need to install the app on your phone/tablet here: https://ibotta.com/r/qf5ceq

**Edit**

Dreamer just reminded me that a preorder needs to be made in store to count as a store purchase.   Since GCU is in store only, you'll prob want to pre-order right then/there for it to count.   

Thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
The 20% off new games makes it worth it. Buy 6 games and you already made up from the price.

Also, you get tons of deals. I remember games being FREE after a GCU discount.

Edit: Best Buy Credit Card is currently offering 10% back. Mario Kart 8 currently has a preorder bonus of $10.

I can also stack GCU with it. This is going to be hell of a deal...
A $10 gas card you mean... which with my luck on such things won't be accepted anywhere I can easily go anyways. Meanwhile, K-Mart is giving me $35 in credit for preordering from them...... And I didn't have to buy into an extra program to take advantage of that.

I think the problem is we don't know when gamestop will start putting unique code for the b-day coupon. atlease with GCU, your guarantee to get 20% off. Also, please do not mention BBY going the way of CC. BBY may not make aapl like profits, but they are doing financially ok.
But hasn't Best Buy refused to accept GCU on certain sales (like the B1G1 50% sale)? Could we get somebody unbiased to clarify this for me because I can't find it one way or the other on Google.

Only an idiot would say it isn't worth it... Yea you might not have saved much now but its a TWO YEAR SUBSCRIPTION. If you can't save $60 in two years you're not really a gamer and probably shouldn't be on a site for gamers
Or perhaps I'm not an asshole who doesn't know how to shop around? Because that's certainly the impression you've given, but then again given every other post I've seen you make that's hardly surprising :whistle2:( . So go ahead and ignore that math and all the other arguments and blindly insult anyone who doesn't agree with you completely. That is the asshole's way right?

I always go for the cheapest deal. As I've said, not counting price-matches that are GCU exempt anyways, that's left me spending about $50 at Best Buy. If things continue at this rate, I'll have failed to make that $60 back.

Last edited:
For those of you picking up (or picked up) a GCU membership, know that iBotta is giving $10 cashback (paypal) for spending $100+ @ Bestbuy this week (and next).

$60 gcu

You'll need to install the app on your phone/tablet here: https://ibotta.com/r/qf5ceq
that will only work if they pre order inside the store online preordering for in store pickup or shipping won't qualify for that you might want to note so not to give wrong info

actually the buy one get one 50% sale did work, but it was glitched so instead got both 50% off instead. Which was an even better deal, but it only lasted like half a day.

$60 gcu

You'll need to install the app on your phone/tablet here: https://ibotta.com/r/qf5ceq
Eh, Toys R Us already had a deal a month or two ago where you could preorder Watch Dogs for $35 (albeit the WiiU version only IIRC). And IIRC K-Mart had the exact same deal for pre-ordering Watch Dogs that it did Mario Kart 8. Either way, both were better deals than this.

$60 gcu

**Edit**

Dreamer just reminded me that a preorder needs to be made in store to count as a store purchase. Since GCU is in store only, you'll prob want to pre-order right then/there for it to count.

Thanks for the help

that will only work if they pre order inside the store online preordering for in store pickup or shipping won't qualify for that you might want to note so not to give wrong info

Thanks for the help, I could have ruined someones day with that incomplete info. Last time I did this, I pre-ordered in store and didn't think twice about it.

Only an idiot would say it isn't worth it... Yea you might not have saved much now but its a TWO YEAR SUBSCRIPTION. If you can't save $60 in two years you're not really a gamer and probably shouldn't be on a site for gamers
Just because a person does not agree with you or see it the exact same way that you see it does not mean that person is an idiot. This is a great deal for some (not all) but let's not forget that there are plenty of sites that have new release titles for up to 33% off (you just have to search). That's saving money on the top and not having to buy into GCU and wasting one's time and money for gas going back and forward to Best Buy twice for a pre-order and to finally pick up the game. If I buy a new game using GCU and use the $10 pre-order credit and purchase the game for a final price tag of $38, but have to pay $8 in gas for back and forward travel to Best Buy (pre-order and purchase are (2) two trips that must be in store), then that means the real price of that item was $46 plus taxes. Why not find a site selling that game tax free for 25% off with free shipping to your home and be done with it? Your still saving $15 and your time most importantly. Everyone might not view this like I do but I would never call anyone an idiot for having a different opinion from my own. In any event CAG is a site for savy price conscious gamers so any CAG brethren that uses this site to make a video game purchase or anything else is going to save money regardless.

AFAIK, pre-orders don't have to be done in-store.
for the additional $10 Ibotta rebate he was talking about then yes it would have to be done in store. Read what he posted earlier if you want the extra $10 rebate from ibotta it would have to be done in store since Ibotta rebates are good for in store purchases only

for the additional $10 Ibotta rebate he was talking about then yes it would have to be done in store. Read what he posted earlier if you want the extra $10 rebate from ibotta it would have to be done in store since Ibotta rebates are good for in store purchases only
Two different and completely separate conversations.

Two different and completely separate conversations.
But you were commenting on what I posted, and I was clearly talking about the $10 pre-order credit people keep mentioning. If you want the $10 pre-order credit your going to have to make 2 trips to Best Buy, otherwise it's only 20% with GCU. So $48 plus tax and gas using GCU and making one trip to Best Buy, that comes to about $54 for the average person. Or $46 plus tax making 2 trips (pre-order and purchase using my formula above).

But you were commenting on what I posted, and I was clearly talking about the $10 pre-order credit people keep mentioning. If you want the $10 pre-order credit your going to have to make 2 trips to Best Buy, otherwise it's only 20% with GCU. So $48 plus tax and gas using GCU and making one trip to Best Buy, that comes to about $54 for the average person. Or $46 plus tax making 2 trips (pre-order and purchase using my formula above).
To be fair though I don't think you should factor gas into these discussions, since the distance to BB will vary for everyone. For instance, I have 3 in my area, including 1 within 10 minutes of my office, but none closer than a Gamestop (one of which is about a minute from where I live). Somebody taking advantage of that $10 pre-order credit may be passing by Best Buy to/from work everyday anyways. Not to mention MPG, Diesel/unleaded/ect, city vs highway, ect.

Likewise, tax is going to vary everywhere, and just because somebody isn't taxed online on one site doesn't mean somebody else isn't taxed on that same site.

FWIW I didn't mention the incompetence of employees either which is also becoming an issue, who claim they are unable to pull my Best Buy account info or have trouble applying discounts (which has happened to me 3 times this year!). I'd like to think that's only a problem with my particular store, but if they can't pull up my account info then how can they pull up GCU info? My roommate got stuck for over half an hour trying to get them to pull up his GCU info last time :???:

That does suck that it's in-store only though, I know stock (which I didn't even mention in these GCU arguments lol) is another major factor in my local stores, so the inability to use it online really hinders what I can use it on. I don't mean to shit on Best Buy, they are still one of my favorite B&M stores and most of these employees do seem to genuinely give a rat's ass about their job, but nonsense like this really boggles my mind.

Last edited:
I don't believe so. I see mentions of $10 and $20 certificate points being mentioned all the time, not this Ibotta stuff.

https://my.bestbuy.com/offers/offersandpromotions/info/0900a76f801812b6

$15 for PUR is acceptable. $30 for this is a bridge too far?
Well to be honest you know there was a CAG thread on page 1/2 for months where CAG sold & gave away $30 sub coupons FOR MONTHS. That means anybody could`ve continued to pay $15/yr for at least 2 more years hell smart people got 2 $30 coupons meaning their price is $15/yr for 4 yrs.

Not directed at you but to those "great deal searchers" who think $60 is too much then how`d you miss the $30 deal?

To be fair though I don't think you should factor gas into these discussions, since the distance to BB will vary for everyone. For instance, I have 3 in my area, including 1 within 10 minutes of my office, but none closer than a Gamestop (one of which is about a minute from where I live). Somebody taking advantage of that $10 pre-order credit may be passing by Best Buy to/from work everyday anyways. Not to mention MPG, Diesel/unleaded/ect, city vs highway, ect.

Likewise, tax is going to vary everywhere, and just because somebody isn't taxed online on one site doesn't mean somebody else isn't taxed on that same site.

FWIW I didn't mention the incompetence of employees either which is also becoming an issue, who claim they are unable to pull my Best Buy account info or have trouble applying discounts (which has happened to me 3 times this year!). I'd like to think that's only a problem with my particular store, but if they can't pull up my account info then how can they pull up GCU info? My roommate got stuck for over half an hour trying to get them to pull up his GCU info last time :???:

That does suck that it's in-store only though, I know stock (which I didn't even mention in these GCU arguments lol) is another major factor in my local stores, so the inability to use it online really hinders what I can use it on. I don't mean to shit on Best Buy, they are still one of my favorite B&M stores and most of these employees do seem to genuinely give a rat's ass about their job, but nonsense like this really boggles my mind.
I understand where you coming from with disliking my gas factor, I only was trying to explain the "true cost" of GCU. I know I buy things all the time online to avoid gas and tax that could be purchased at a store near me that is about 5 miles out. But I'm a cheapskate (thus the reason I'm on CAG) so go figure. Anyway just eat the meat and throw away the bones lol.

I don't believe so. I see mentions of $10 and $20 certificate points being mentioned all the time, not this Ibotta stuff.

https://my.bestbuy.com/offers/offersandpromotions/info/0900a76f801812b6
Good catch and good read. I stand corrected. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong and I clearly was wrong on saying the $10 pre-order credit had to be in store. It is never my intent to mislead or lie to anyone. With that disclaimer out the way let me ask this question to you Cochese or anyone that actually knows. If you pre-order a title from my Best Buy rewards what is the wait time for gifting of that very credit?

Good catch and good read. I stand corrected. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong and I clearly was wrong on saying the $10 pre-order credit had to be in store. It is never my intent to mislead or lie to anyone. With that disclaimer out the way let me ask this question to you Cochese or anyone that actually knows. If you pre-order a title from my Best Buy rewards what is the wait time for gifting of that very credit?
some a few days sometime a week it varies but they have up to 15 days and it may not appear until that 15th day but usually before

The sign up is in store only. After signing up in store, you can use it online and get items shipped to your house with the GCU discount.

The sign up is in store only. After signing up in store, you can use it online and get items shipped to your house with the GCU discount.
I don't mean the GCU thing, I meant the discount with that app lol.

I have no idea. I've never been a member of GCU and only became aware of it in the last two weeks or so. I've had my run-ins with Best Buy before, but those days seem to be behind me so this deal interests me. I know $60 is a bit of a steep ask up front, but I'm looking down the road at the games coming out and it seems like it might be a good deal for me. It helps now that I'm in a job where I'm home most of the time and can divert my attention. With the extreme backlog I have (going back to DC and PS1 days) it also makes me pause.

I have no idea. I've never been a member of GCU and only became aware of it in the last two weeks or so. I've had my run-ins with Best Buy before, but those days seem to be behind me so this deal interests me. I know $60 is a bit of a steep ask up front, but I'm looking down the road at the games coming out and it seems like it might be a good deal for me. It helps now that I'm in a job where I'm home most of the time and can divert my attention. With the extreme backlog I have (going back to DC and PS1 days) it also makes me pause.
Lol every time I buy a new game I have buyers remorse until I actually pop the game in and play it. I currently have over 200 games (no joke no lie) in my backlog right now too steaming from Dreamcast to PS4. I was under the impression from what I read on here from other members that you can only use the GCU and receive the pre-order credit if you buy at the brick and mortar store. That is why I asked my initial question in this very thread of the other perks associated with this membership. Now if anyone can provide a link or point me in the right direction that states this 20% GCU discount can be applied to Bestbuy.com as well that would be most helpful. Thanks to Cochese for supplying the link with the $10 online pre-order credit so now I am aware of that fact. But if anyone could provide something stating that this GCU could be used online too then I would join GCU on the 25th as well. As that would be a great deal to have the free shipping with the 20% discount and $10-$20 pre-order credits linked to Best Buy's GCU membership even if you have to pay tax. If you can do this online and have it shipped for free then I am all over this then.

Lol every time I buy a new game I have buyers remorse until I actually pop the game in and play it. I currently have over 200 games (no joke no lie) in my backlog right now too steaming from Dreamcast to PS4. I was under the impression from what I read on here from other members that you can only use the GCU and receive the pre-order credit if you buy at the brick and mortar store. That is why I asked my initial question in this very thread of the other perks associated with this membership. Now if anyone can provide a link or point me in the right direction that states this 20% GCU discount can be applied to Bestbuy.com as well that would be most helpful. Thanks to Cochese for supplying the link with the $10 online pre-order credit so now I am aware of that fact. But if anyone could provide something stating that this GCU could be used online too then I would join GCU on the 25th as well. As that would be a great deal to have the free shipping with the 20% discount and $10-$20 pre-order credits linked to Best Buy's GCU membership even if you have to pay tax. If you can do this online and have it shipped for free then I am all over this then.
here ton of information in the thread I created couple days ago http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/331072-best-buy-gcu-2-years-60-50-discount-all-questions-answered-in-op/ I would update it with more information to help you and the other cags out but one the mods locked it so i can't update it but need any other answers just ask then

@HTownsFinest44 & rcerboss

I was referring to your entire game spending total not just the BB total. A person who only spends $100-$200 total across all retailers need not apply to GCU since they`re in the % of gamers who don`t buy enough games to warrant any game sub really.

As for the non pm + 20% discount it`s not even that big of a deal, and I`m "Mr. Pricematch". I was never expecting that it`s just not sustainable. And regarding getting a discount on movies/dvds/media it`s an existing BB ideax thread long before $120 GCU but only 33 kudo`d the idea which could`ve gotten exactly what you wanted.
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-IdeaX/New-BestBuy-MMM-club-Movies-Music-Media/idi-p/540236

The bottom line is this GCU is the best gaming program out hands down across the board even at $120. If you know how to use it BB will CONSISTANTLY PAY YOU TO PLAY & even pay for your PUR sub too.

1-Since the 20% stacks with sale prices & promos you`ll get to the "cheaper" price faster most of the time & the few times another retailer has a better deal pm it at BB w/o the 20% earning 2x mybb pts in the process.
1A-When there`s a glitch the 20% works in weird customer friendly ways which wind up making games far cheaper than can be had elsewhere.
2- BB`s trade in values are damn good considering there`s generally only a $4-$10 gap between the $48 you pay & the $38-$44 they offer. You can easily "float" $100 at BB over the entire 2 yr sub & that would cover 7+ games with no additional money needed. And the # of games only increases when you start getting games with credits.
3-Used game prices tend to be cheaper at BB before the extra 10% off plus they run more b2g1 deals then GS. 3DS used prices blow GS outta the water.

There will be tons of people out in the cold on Thanksgiving waiting to score games for $25 - $30 meanwhile GCU members paid $32 three to four weeks after release, played/beaten it & traded it back in for $25-$44. Then when the game drops to $15-$25 we can rebuy it again to replay or keep, except most or all of the $15-$25 will covered by profits from the trade.

Even if you paid $48 day 1, you get $38-$44 credit the true cost is $4-$10 + the tax on the $48.

At this point I thinks there`s only been 3-4 CAG total who actually have GCU & regret it vs tons of others who love it. Most of the other negatives are from people who never had GCU even when it was $15 or when you could post purchase pm for 60 days. I`ll be the 1st to admit I`d like to see several more things added/adjusted to GCU especially since they`re asking for $120 upfront. 95% of the CAG complaints regarding GCU have existing ideax threads already but in reality if they made just 5 changes they`d be able to get more people to pay $120.

I forgot to sign upload time and then missed last week's madness. Im gonna sign up this time, but by doing that I will ruin it for everyone and no more deals lol

$60 gcu

**Edit**
Dreamer just reminded me that a preorder needs to be made in store to count as a store purchase. Since GCU is in store only, you'll prob want to pre-order right then/there for it to count.

Thanks for the help
I took advantage of this offer a few weeks back when my wife bought an expensive printer, I'm glad to see they are making it a regular offer.

To take advantage of this next week when buying WD, unless you pre-order the CE, you'll need to combine a few things to meet the $100 requirement. Is it possible to buy the GCU membership AND the game on the same receipt and have the game discounted at that same time, or will you need to do a return-rebuy to get the lower price?

But if anyone could provide something stating that this GCU could be used online too then I would join GCU on the 25th as well. As that would be a great deal to have the free shipping with the 20% discount and $10-$20 pre-order credits linked to Best Buy's GCU membership even if you have to pay tax. If you can do this online and have it shipped for free then I am all over this then.
So much skepticism. Trust us.
QfXZJ0Q.png

As usual BB refuses to offer purchase of this service online and you must be in-store to do it. I guess they enjoy doing less business as not everyone is near a BB store to do this.

I forgot to sign upload time and then missed last week's madness. Im gonna sign up this time, but by doing that I will ruin it for everyone and no more deals lol
If they get more non CAG to pony up $120 it won`t matter they already have things in place to protect themselves. The increased # of people particpating in their regular deals will help alot more than a few people going overboard.

As usual BB refuses to offer purchase of this service online and you must be in-store to do it. I guess they enjoy doing less business as not everyone is near a BB store to do this.
Help us get it changed to where you could join GCU thru BB.com or mybb.com
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-IdeaX/Please-start-allowing-GCU-sign-ups-on-BestBuy-com/idi-p/781019

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but does BB do release date delivery on pre-ordered games? I know Amazon does for the most part. I'm just not sure what BB does. Thanks.

It pays off so well if you buy games on release. Best Buy gives $10 back on most AAA titles when you pre-order. It's foolish not to be a GCU member and then pre-order your games.

Still shocking to me to hear anyone on this deal website trying to argue against it.

This is perfect for me. There are a few games I like to get at release (Nintendo mostly) but I HATE paying $60 and $50 is worth a game to me.

The 20% off new games makes it worth it. Buy 6 games and you already made up from the price.

Also, you get tons of deals. I remember games being FREE after a GCU discount.

Edit: Best Buy Credit Card is currently offering 10% back. Mario Kart 8 currently has a preorder bonus of $10.

I can also stack GCU with it. This is going to be hell of a deal...
I noticed the 10% back deal the other day actually.

I'm thinking of getting my brother-in-law the Mario kart 8 bundle and with all the point bonuses it's not actually a terrible deal.

Here's the breakdown of My Best Buy points if I were to buy it.

329 - Purchase

1316 - My Best Buy Credit Card Bonus

82 - Elite Plus 25% Bonus

82 - My Best Buy Credit Card Elite Plus Bonus

That's $35 back worth of points. Not a terrible deal. Hmm. I'll have to ruminate on it.

You get 20% off games online. Just login with your ID and it shows the discounted price.

Going to pick up my Watch_Dogs PS4 preorder and special edition gold Xbox 360 controller on Tuesday at my Best Buy near Yankee Stadium.  This just gave me another reason to stick around. 

closest bestbuy to me is a 40 minute drive so I will still pass at this price. enjoy to everyone that can easily take advantage
Drive there once to buy your membership, and then after that you can make all of your discounted purchases online.

Can the b2g1 used coupon you get be used online? I'd like to get some 3ds games without the hassle of trying to grab them when the sale usually happens.

unfortunately no the welcome coupons you get are all in store only coupons
Well, that is unfortunate. The used game selection around here is pathetic. I'll just have to see if I can trade it away if there's nothing available when it arrives. Thanks for the response.

I still have about two months of GCU left under the old program terms, but I am planning to renew tomorrow with the sale for the new program. Two questions: will I still get the B2G1 coupon even though I am not technically "new," and if so, how long does it take for the coupon to arrive?

bread's done
Back