Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked 2 years $60 (50% discount)

Trustn01

CAGiversary!
I've been waiting for this deal to come back around.  Best Buy will be running a half-off their Gamers Club Unlocked membership from 5/25 - 5/31.  It's normally $119.99 and will be on sale for $60.  They run this promo every once in a while and it makes the membership worthwhile.

Assuming Best Buy is still around for 2 years, here's what you'll get:

Gamers Club Unlocked Benefits:
Get 20% off new video games for 2 full years
Get 2x base points on new video game software, digital content, and game accessories
Get 2 points for every dollar when you trade-in games
Get points on gaming consoles
Redeem Reward Certificates on nearly everything at Best Buy
10% bonus trade-in credit on your video game software trade-ins
10% off pre-owned games
Buy two, get the third free on pre-owned games via special welcome coupon
Save 50% on a new strategy guide via special welcome coupon

I'm still not sure what's going on with their magazine but I assume if it's still being posted digitally, it would probably be included also.

For anyone wondering...

I bought this 2 weeks ago at $120. Then I saw it on sale in the store today, ran home to get my receipt, and they corrected the price on my receipt and gave me $60 back.

So, they will price correct it if you purchased it within the last 15 days. They may stretch that to 17-18 days also since I technically bought it 16 days. The clerk said no problem.

[quote name="Ribbercage" post="11801743" timestamp="1401475431"]Are you able to price match through Amazon or another competitor and then still get 20% off the new game??[/quote]

I think someone said earlier that it's one or the other. You can't PM and get the 20%.

Signed up, but being in the store reminded me why I don't shop at BBY often. There was only one guy working at CS and two people working store pickup just standing there. I waited about 10 minutes to get helped. Hopefully this doesn't always happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because they have discontinued just about every program that was getting abused

1: Spend $150 on gaming items get a $10 RZ Cert
2: 45 day post purchase PM policy
3: $20 RZ certs for preordering (sans Wolfenstein)

This is just in the past 3 years---I'm sure there are others I can't remember. And honestly ask yourself how this program benefits BB? Now how ENUF tries to rationalize in his head that he is benefiting best buy---but how it actually benefits them. The only customers that they are truly making money off of are those that get suckered into buying a GCU membership with a console bundle and don't do much else in the way of buying items.

They certainly aren't making money of those who post regularly in these threads.
Although you may not agree with my methods the basic premise of my purchases still greatly benefit BB. I have 4 fully paid of subs key word paid so there`s no stealing coupons or anything along the lines. Also, I`m but 1 unique customer who represents less than 1% of BB customers in gaming or overall & just b/c I put the info out there doesn`t then mean 10 million people will follow suit. In fact, b/c I drive for a living I have an advantage over a large portion of customers since I don`t have to factor in fuel cost.
80%-90% off all my electronics purchases are made at BB but not 80%-90% are all exploits. Likewise, the majority of my friends/family have moved the majority of their electronic purchases to BB and they don`t do the exploits. So if 10 million people did the same thing BB would actually benefit as their revenue #`s would rise across the board & their total customer base would skyrocket. And the majority of that 10 million wouldn`t be 10% as efficient as me.

The reductions you mentioned actually weren`t ended b/c of abuse per BB directly b/c of the economy it was needed to reduce cost EVERYWHERE possible. Some of these were directly commented on by BB mods.
1-$10 per $150 ended b/c of transition to paid GCU
2- Post purchase pm`ing was VERY underutilized b/c people didn`t always feel like making a trip back to the store or spending time with phone cs.
3- $20 certs ending b/c it`s not sustainable with 20% off we lost them to get 20% off everyday.
B/c of the $120 increase the tables have turn now there`s ways to offer some of these back & remain profitable.

Also, my paycheck doesn`t come from BB so I get to be CAG 1st when/if that changes then I`ll change.

There's gonna be people who kick themselves for and for not having GCU. Sure you'll miss a error here and there and if you don't you're not locked in.
This weeks TRU very similar to GCU, buy watchdogs save 40% off another and that opportunity didn't cost $60.
If you`ve noticed other retailers have had to offer better offers to compete with BB`s 20% which is better for all more competition better for customers. 2 yrs of GCU is 104 weeks with 20% off, say other retailers are equal or better for 10 of those weeks what about the other 94 weeks? What happens if you`re not interested, broke or have other financial committments during those 10 weeks? Broken down you`re paying about .57 cents per week & 20% off 1 $60 game is $12 broken down like that it`s a no brainer unless you`re in that small % of people who just don`t spend on games.

We paid for the options that GCU affords us & at this point I`ve only seen maybe 5 people total post regrets with GCU & even some of them were more upset with BB staff, glitches or something along those lines vs GCU sucks aka waste of money. The overwhelming majority of GCU members have said the same thing
At $120 they probably(reluctantly) would still do it b/c they have already broke even several times over at the discounted rate in a very shor time frame. Pretty sure the majority would certainly do things to lessen the $120 blow. GCU won`t succeed on the backs of CAG b/c there`s just not enough of us it`ll come down to how many casuals they can pull from AMZ/Target/Walmart/GS...there`s been tons of suggestions for changes to GCU that would help achieve this it`s up to BB to put them in place profitably. BB could make 5 tweaks to GCU & totally corner the gaming market & that`s not even including the lack of promoting of the program.

Extending the 20% discount to accessories was mentioned previously here`s the link
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Buy-IdeaX/20-discount-off-video-game-accessories-for-GCU/idi-p/785533

If you`ve noticed other retailers have had to offer better offers to compete with BB`s 20% which is better for all more competition better for customers. 2 yrs of GCU is 104 weeks with 20% off, say other retailers are equal or better for 10 of those weeks what about the other 94 weeks? What happens if you`re not interested, broke or have other financial committments during those 10 weeks? Broken down you`re paying about .57 cents per week & 20% off 1 $60 game is $12 broken down like that it`s a no brainer unless you`re in that small % of people who just don`t spend on games.

We paid for the options that GCU affords us & at this point I`ve only seen maybe 5 people total post regrets with GCU & even some of them were more upset with BB staff, glitches or something along those lines vs GCU sucks aka waste of money. The overwhelming majority of GCU members have said the same thing
At $120 they probably(reluctantly) would still do it b/c they have already broke even several times over at the discounted rate in a very shor time frame. Pretty sure the majority would certainly do things to lessen the $120 blow. GCU won`t succeed on the backs of CAG b/c there`s just not enough of us it`ll come down to how many casuals they can pull from AMZ/Target/Walmart/GS...there`s been tons of suggestions for changes to GCU that would help achieve this it`s up to BB to put them in place profitably. BB could make 5 tweaks to GCU & totally corner the gaming market & that`s not even including the lack of promoting of the program.

Extending the 20% discount to accessories was mentioned previously here`s the link
That's fine not hating on it, I'd just hate to see the look on faces if bestbuy keeps prices high and amazon for example has a game for $30 they're selling for $60. Ie: borderlands 2 GOTY ps3

Just tried to make it clear for those asking about double dipping ala 20% + pm.

I've only had GCU for 2 weeks and so far I love it (bought it at $120, got it price matched to $60 today). I've pre-ordered 10 games, and have already paid for the membership twice. Plus I've gotten $25 in BB rewards. Also enjoyed the 10% trade-in bonus. At $60 it's a no brainer to get it. I don't know how anyone can't get $60 worth of discounts within even the first year.

Yeah sometimes, a different retailer will have it cheaper, but BB price matches pretty much anyone now. You lose the 20% discount, but if the other retailer's discount is greater than 20%, I would rather have that discount anyway, but more often than not, it's going to be hard to beat 20% off a new game.

That's fine not hating on it, I'd just hate to see the look on faces if bestbuy keeps prices high and amazon for example has a game for $30 they're selling for $60. Ie: borderlands 2 GOTY ps3
Just tried to make it clear for those asking about double dipping ala 20% + pm.
In that case pm AMZ, 2x pts + 25% extra with the option to further decrease the OOP cost using the credit stockpile. You could do well at BB w/GCU & never use the 20% just go all pm`s stack other rewards/promos. A pm & 5x pt promo is deadly combo if you know how to work it.

Signed up, but being in the store reminded me why I don't shop at BBY often. There was only one guy working at CS and two people working store pickup just standing there. I waited about 10 minutes to get helped. Hopefully this doesn't always happen.
Sounded like me when I went to get GCU in my last visit on Tuesday. To be honest, I do all my Best Buy shopping online and do in-store pickup. Never have a hassle with in-store pickup, at least.

I purchased this at the beginning of the year and as of today it has pated for itself. I have purchased Thief, Infamous Second Son, Watchdogs, Wolfenstien. About to purchase Destiny, TLOU, COD, BF5. Diablo III all for 47.99 each. Not a bad deal.

Todays the last deal to get GCU for $60 in store, if you are interested.

For those wondering Best Buy is struggling financially, store sales are down 2% year over year (never good) but they have $3b in cash, $1.5b in debt, and skate the profitability line (some quarters barely making a profit, some quarters losing a small amount of money).  The stock has lost 30% or so over the last two years.  Their IT systems are pretty awful as we all know, and they have a hard time making nimble moves like amazon.  

Still, they should be around for at least 2 more years even if they make incredibly boneheaded moves just based on cash on hand and debt levels, the 5+ year prognosis is probably not that good though.

Todays the last deal to get GCU for $60 in store, if you are interested.

For those wondering Best Buy is struggling financially, store sales are down 2% year over year (never good) but they have $3b in cash, $1.5b in debt, and skate the profitability line (some quarters barely making a profit, some quarters losing a small amount of money). The stock has lost 30% or so over the last two years. Their IT systems are pretty awful as we all know, and they have a hard time making nimble moves like amazon.

Still, they should be around for at least 2 more years even if they make incredibly boneheaded moves just based on cash on hand and debt levels, the 5+ year prognosis is probably not that good though.
I don't see them going out of business anytime soon. They might start closing down some stores in poor market areas, but not going out of business completely. If they close all their stores, they will probably just turn into an online only store similar to what Circuit City did. In which case GCU would still work, unless of course they discontinue it for some reason which I don't see happening either.

I don't see them going out of business anytime soon. They might start closing down some stores in poor market areas, but not going out of business completely. If they close all their stores, they will probably just turn into an online only store similar to what Circuit City did. In which case GCU would still work, unless of course they discontinue it for some reason which I don't see happening either.
2017 Amazon buys bestbuy, my psychic told me so.

That's not actually Circuit City, Tigerdirect bought the name.

This offer has been extended throughout the month of June per employee news sent through today. Signage will be posted in store tomorrow as part of the weekly adset. New expiration date of the $60 promo is July 5th

Five console games pays this off...hmm....
I haven't bought a new release title in four years, and that was the first in two years. Wait two months on most games these days and you can save $20. The only games that tend to keep their prices are COD games, and system sellers (the bigger exclusives). Everything else drops fast.

I haven't bought a new release title in four years, and that was the first in two years. Wait two months on most games these days and you can save $20. The only games that tend to keep their prices are COD games, and system sellers (the bigger exclusives). Everything else drops fast.
After those two months you can save another 20% with GCU. No one said you had to buy it at release.

This offer has been extended throughout the month of June per employee news sent through today. Signage will be posted in store tomorrow as part of the weekly adset. New expiration date of the $60 promo is July 5th
Nice to hear. Was going to have to pass otherwise. A grand on gaming in a month has left the coffers rather low.

Signed up for this in store this morning and sort if regretted it afterward when I discovered that my local store has extremely downsized its video game section. I hadn't visited a physical BB store since right before the holidays last year, so maybe this isn't a shock to most of you. I do most of my BB shopping online so I hope this turns out to be worth it for the smaller sales since I don't often buy new releases. I was going to buy Mario Kart 8 but I wasn't too impressed by the video on the Wii U demo kiosk, so all I bought was the only pre-owned Wii game they had left, a copy of Bust a Move Bash for $4.99 and saved 50 cents. Big whoop.

Signed up for this in store this morning and sort if regretted it afterward when I discovered that my local store has extremely downsized its video game section. I hadn't visited a physical BB store since right before the holidays last year, so maybe this isn't a shock to most of you. I do most of my BB shopping online so I hope this turns out to be worth it for the smaller sales since I don't often buy new releases. I was going to buy Mario Kart 8 but I wasn't too impressed by the video on the Wii U demo kiosk, so all I bought was the only pre-owned Wii game they had left, a copy of Bust a Move Bash for $4.99 and saved 50 cents. Big whoop.
This comment hurts my head. They sell plenty of used games online.

[quote name="josekortez" post="11804324" timestamp="1401570266"]Signed up for this in store this morning and sort if regretted it afterward when I discovered that my local store has extremely downsized its video game section. I hadn't visited a physical BB store since right before the holidays last year, so maybe this isn't a shock to most of you. I do most of my BB shopping online so I hope this turns out to be worth it for the smaller sales since I don't often buy new releases. I was going to buy Mario Kart 8 but I wasn't too impressed by the video on the Wii U demo kiosk, so all I bought was the only pre-owned Wii game they had left, a copy of Bust a Move Bash for $4.99 and saved 50 cents. Big whoop.[/quote]

I hear Ya. I very seldom have older games in stock at my store when I do a store search for pickup online. I know there are a few new games I'm looking forward to, so I'll be picking those up sooner than I normally would because of the GCU discount.

This comment hurts my head. They sell plenty of used games online.
True, but I like to know if my preowned games have a manual or not. When I've bought used games on their website, they have mostly come without manuals. Sometimes, they come in generic cases. Most times, in the store, you can give the case a good shake to see if one is in there.

I'll probably save enough over two years, but yes, I did have buyer's remorse after dropping $60. Of course, I had just spent $55 at the Toys R Us clearance sale across the street a few minutes earlier and got two 360 games, two Wii games, a Wii U game and three action figure sets for less than the price of the GCU membership. So, I'm not trying to deter anybody. I'm just sharing my experience.

$40 w/o GCU vs $32 w/GCU = 1 completely free $40 game every 5 & that`s not even including credits, 25% bonus, 2x pts...

The OP or a mod should update the title/OP to reflect the change

True, but I like to know if my preowned games have a manual or not. When I've bought used games on their website, they have mostly come without manuals. Sometimes, they come in generic cases. Most times, in the store, you can give the case a good shake to see if one is in there.
I'll probably save enough over two years, but yes, I did have buyer's remorse after dropping $60. Of course, I had just spent $55 at the Toys R Us clearance sale across the street a few minutes earlier and got two 360 games, two Wii games, a Wii U game and three action figure sets for less than the price of the GCU membership. So, I'm not trying to deter anybody. I'm just sharing my experience.
GS comes in handy with getting complete games just buy the used copy & return it w/o manual or artwork before 7 days. Could any of the TRU items have been price matched? You`re $55 total brings back memories of @gamer $5 Rage, $5 Bulletstorm, $5 ME2, $15 FF, $10 B:AC + $15 1 yr GCU in 1 month & even then people didn`t wanna get the sub lol

They couldn't figure out how to extend my current membership after an hour of trying. The manager told me to come back when my membership runs out in July and he will sell me the 2 year for $60 (if I don't get the usual renewal coupon offer anyway). Works for me, that's $60 I didn't really have this week I'm saving.

I can't possibly be the first person to try to extend a current membership. I was really surprised they haven't figured out how to use this program yet. Then again, their ineptitude is the reason I have picked up two free games this month... :D

They couldn't figure out how to extend my current membership after an hour of trying. The manager told me to come back when my membership runs out in July and he will sell me the 2 year for $60 (if I don't get the usual renewal coupon offer anyway). Works for me, that's $60 I didn't really have this week I'm saving.

I can't possibly be the first person to try to extend a current membership. I was really surprised they haven't figured out how to use this program yet. Then again, their ineptitude is the reason I have picked up two free games this month... :D
All they have to do is scan or enter your mybb info 1st then scan the sub card or enter the sub sku # it`ll ring $60 automatically. Don`t egen bother saying you "wanna extend" just say you`re purchasing the sub. It`ll extend automatically too.

They did enter my info first then scan the card but the system kicked it back out and they couldn't process it. They tried ringing it up a couple of times and every time they had an issue. I didn't say anything about it being for a renewal until they had the issue. Must have been a fluke I guess.

Signing up for GCU reminded me why I absolutely never shop at Best Buy.  4 registers, and  over half and hour just to sign up and over and hour to do 3 trade ins too.

Do you get 2x on trade ins and then 2x on video game purchases with a gift card? So my $50 trade in and Mario Kart purchase with that gift card will net me 200 points?

Signing up for GCU reminded me why I absolutely never shop at Best Buy. 4 registers, and over half and hour just to sign up and over and hour to do 3 trade ins too.

Do you get 2x on trade ins and then 2x on video game purchases with a gift card? So my $50 trade in and Mario Kart purchase with that gift card will net me 200 points?
purchases paid with gift cards receive no points

Signing up for GCU reminded me why I absolutely never shop at Best Buy. 4 registers, and over half and hour just to sign up and over and hour to do 3 trade ins too.
You guys need to start alert BB corp mods on the BB forums about these horrible stores it`s the only way it`ll change. Mods have already begun asking. Take the 5 minutes to post your frustration & it`ll save you hours on the back end, not to mention you may get a contact at your local store which we all know can really come in handy.

So I go to pick up my Mario Kart pre-order. I see some games on clearance and they are an extra 50% off the clearance price. So I get a game. Long story short they wouldn't give me the GCU discount. I decided not to get the game. I wasn't price matching here or anything it was the sale at the store. I mean I really don't like this pick and choose with the GCU. I can understand a price match but this is essentially a sale in store. I dunno just didn't sit right with me. 

So I go to pick up my Mario Kart pre-order. I see some games on clearance and they are an extra 50% off the clearance price. So I get a game. Long story short they wouldn't give me the GCU discount. I decided not to get the game. I wasn't price matching here or anything it was the sale at the store. I mean I really don't like this pick and choose with the GCU. I can understand a price match but this is essentially a sale in store. I dunno just didn't sit right with me.
Those are usually manager markdowns and are store specific. In theory they should accommodate the GCU discount but in my experience most games aren't even tagged correctly so the discount has to be entered as a price override which IIRC kicks of the GCU discount. A good/smart manager would also add in an additional 20% discount but of course YMMV.

bread's done
Back