Best Buy: Homefront: The Revolution: Exclusive SteelBook Edition $59.99 ($47.99 with GCU) Plus $10 Gift Card

I pre-ordered this last night, but I'm not planning on picking it up until after I hear some reviews about the game and if the patch solves any issues.

But I also just got the notification that my gift card has been shipped. What do I have to do in the event that I decide I don't want the game? Do I return the gift card too?
Yeah, or they'll just deduct $10 from the return. So if you paid $48 with GCU they'll only refund $38.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Sweet, you have an advanced copy of the game? Put up some game play on Twitch or something.
Angry Joe streamed it for a few hours the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PQ1sxpV7sg

second, many of us were beta testers and have been for a while, it was in open beta as well so its not special snowflake status to declare the game is bad

KMLEmcL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

second, many of us were beta testers and have been for a while, it was in open beta as well so its not special snowflake status to declare the game is bad

KMLEmcL.jpg
watched a few vids doesn't look too bad.

I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what steelboxes are or why they are so cool/important.
Why is anything cool or important? Baseball cards are just thick cut paper with a photo of the player and stats on the back. Coins are just pieces of metal molded into a round shape with imprinted designs on them. You can logically break down any collectible to its simplest form and laugh at how ridiculous it is, steelbooks are no different than any other.

30+ hour campaign and an achievement for beating it on Deathwish difficulty (highest setting). If you play it nonstop from Tuesday to Saturday you might do it.
Well, assuming the trophy list and achievement list are the same, I guess I can just knock out some then trade it in and pick it up later down the road.

The fact that I can't use RZ certs on this makes me a little bit salty....still probably gonna pick it up though. I'm a sucker for steelbooks/metalpaks 

$38.. should be able to resell this after completion and at the very least break even.. may jump on this, thanks OP.

KMLEmcL.jpg
Sweet, he actually plays the game for the last 15 minutes of that one hour stream and didn't even get through the tutorial.

Just saw the ad in store and the picture posted looks like a G1 size Steelbook as opposed to G2.

Way to make me say ugh.

does the 360 homefront come free with it that would be sweet if it did

Angry Joe is a joke. Homefront is going to flop on it's ugly face. Kim Kardashian is somehow still relevant. Life is a lie.

I've had the game since Saturday (Best Buy sent my steelbook early) and it's not as bad as everybody is freaking out about. I got it because I enjoy a story based FPS and I really liked the premise and setting of the first Homefront. So far, this one feels lighter on story than the first game (which is disappointing). But I haven't seen many framerate issues. What does happen though (which I suppose some people could misconstrue as "bad framerate") is that the game tends to hitch when there's an overlay put on the screen.

If you receive a new text message, or if the game is teaching you a new gameplay element, or even if you're backing out of the weapons cache screen, the screen will freeze for half a second. Now, that is pretty annoying and it seems like something they could have (and should have) fixed. But it's not like a game breaking can't tell what you're doing because the game is dropping to 10fps during firefights thing (which is what many made it sound like).

Other than that though, the game looks pretty good. I've only put in a couple hours so far, but most of what I've done is reclaiming different bases and trying to grow The Resistance's controlled area on the map. There are set story missions. But pretty quickly, the game is like "hey, go all the way to the other side of the map" asking you to get past like 15 enemy outposts along the way. Sure, you could hop on a dirtbike and just speed over there. But the roads aren't exactly clear, and you're getting peppered with gunfire the whole way.

So, I'm just reclaiming enemy bases as I go, and will get to that next story mission eventually. Doing it this way does make the game feel a little tedious though since most of these "reclaim missions" are basically the same. So, if I was going to say anything about this game, I'd say it's a little unbalanced. It's not a bad game. They just made some odd design choices that probably don't do it any favors. But if you're into the basic premise of America being invaded, you might be able to overlook those things. I'm not liking it as much as the first game...but that could be because I haven't done many story missions yet. Time will tell.

So it's like Far Cry almost. Is the gunplay satisfying at least? I can deal with "go here, do this" as long as shooting the computer in the head is consistently fun.

So it's like Far Cry almost. Is the gunplay satisfying at least? I can deal with "go here, do this" as long as shooting the computer in the head is consistently fun.
Yeah, it seems to be. I've seen people say it's more like Crysis than Homefront too (which makes sense considering the Crysis devs took over development).

The gunplay seems to be pretty good. I'm not an "all shooter, all the time" person, and I've been playing a lot of The Division lately. So, it was a little jarring to switch to something with much less aim lock. But the enemies also didn't feel nearly as bullet spongey as in The Division either. Honestly, I feel like it's going to be a matter of personal preference. Some people will probably hate it. And some might love it.

I don't think the AI is particularly great (both enemies and friendlies)...but when is it ever? When enemies see you, they do a pretty good job in pursuit. But if you lose them, you'll see them do some pretty strange stuff (run back and forth, go into a wall, etc). Similarly, your allies are only marginally useful. You can recruit several of them to come with you on a mission, but they usually die pretty quickly and don't follow you very well. But...it's not like they're any worse than the JTF...so, yeah. AI is AI.

Like I said though, nothing feels inherently broken. Although, I did have once instance where I thought the game spawned me inside a stair railing after completing a mission. I was stuck for a minute or so, then thankfully managed to jump over it. But there was a good 30 seconds where I was spinning in a circle, meleeing, thinking "Are you kidding me right now???" lol. That

Basically, this probably isn't a game for people with super high standards. If you can laugh about and/or overlook stuff, it'll probably be a decent time. I will say I appreciate it having a 30 hour campaign. Not many FPS games can boast that these days.

KMLEmcL.jpg
is this autist for real or is he another Deagle Nation

I didn't preorder until Friday but mine still hasn't shipped. Weird.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those games that averages like a 6/10 review score but I really enjoy. That's really all that matters.
I preordered this morning and got the shipped email within the last hour. You will likely get that email soon.

Edit: Nvm. That was just the gift card.

Yeah, I pre-ordered late Saturday night and got the e-mail yersterday morning that the gift card shipped. But I also did store pickup.

My XB1 copy showed up today, packed in a bubble mailer. :wall:

Seems to have survived the trip.  Nice looking SB, IMO.

Since I'm on the "email BB CS and eventually get a GC", my GC is still in process. 

that would nice if we got a 10$ gift card and $10 in reward certificates when we pre-order

Yeah, Best Buy seems to be weird about pre-orders that aren't made at least 5 days before release date. All bets are off on when and how they ship it after that. I pre-ordered mine on 5/5. I got the shipped email on 5/12. And I received it on 5/14.

And it is definitely G2 sized. Looks really nice too. Comes with a clear (with print) slipcover on it.

[attachment=21928:20160516_152124.jpg]

Thanks, Shrike. Tyrok, I think the Target Steelbook edition for Thief was G1 for both current and last gen. But yeah, G2 by and large.

Mainly wanted to check with people who actually got the item, since another poster in this thread had mentioned it looked like it may be G1.

Thanks, Shrike. Tyrok, I think the Target Steelbook edition for Thief was G1 for both current and last gen. But yeah, G2 by and large.

Mainly wanted to check with people who actually got the item, since another poster in this thread had mentioned it looked like it may be G1.
Oh yeah I do have that one. I was thinking the last G1 I got was the Tomb Raider reboot from Target last gen.

Yeah, Best Buy seems to be weird about pre-orders that aren't made at least 5 days before release date. All bets are off on when and how they ship it after that. I pre-ordered mine on 5/5. I got the shipped email on 5/12. And I received it on 5/14.

And it is definitely G2 sized. Looks really nice too. Comes with a clear (with print) slipcover on it.
attachicon.gif
20160516_152124.jpg
My two copies finally shipped about an hour ago.

IGN gave it a 5
Polygon a 6.
Eurogamers review reads like a 6 or a 6.5.

About what I expected from the media. Still picking it up at lunch time.

IGN gave it a 5
Polygon a 6.
Eurogamers review reads like a 6 or a 6.5.

About what I expected from the media. Still picking it up at lunch time.
I actually can't wait to play it, I need to finish and plat UC4 first. Should have it done by Thursday hopefully then on to Homefront. I hope somebody that had a early copy got the cheevo/trophy guide up by then. I don't want to miss anything.

I'm conflicted about whether or not I should pick up my preordered copy. I kinda want to check it out, but this seems like a game id rather spend $20 in a few months instead of $48 at launch. The gift card is a nice incentive though.

I'm also curious to hear how the game performs after the patch.

The picture in the print ad showed a G1 sized steelbook.

Boy am I glad it is G2! Thanks for the confirmation guys.

anther heads up redbox has it . only one location by me had them but it is the closest one.

Really enjoyed the first but after playing the beta and these reviews, I think I'll just rent it. 

Beat doom in two rentals, might be able to knock this out in one. slickdeals has some text coupons if you search for redbox.

Still mad about that one as well. I open my CE and see it and just get sad immediately lol. Don't know about yours but mine was very poor quality as well it was like falling apart.
Damn, that sucks. Mine was in decent condition, but it looks terrible amongst the G2 steelbooks :(

Just confirming for my in-store pre order I used a reward certificate, and a $10 gift card and I still ended up getting the $10 gift card for free with pickup of my game.

bread's done
Back