Best Buy Pre-order Bonuses

KABUKISTAR

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I thought I'd create this, in the same vein as the GameStop pre-order bonuses thread.

Best Buy pre-orders usually come in the form of a game case, stating that it's a pre-order for the game. It rings up as $5 ($10 for some games), and usually doesn't contain anything, and you just buy it to reserve your copy of the game. After the game comes out, you can use subtract the price of the pre-order from the game when you buy it. Or, if you don't want the game, you can just get the money you payed for it back. So, these pre-orders are functionally free in the long run.

A number of games, come with special pre-order bonuses inside of the cases. This thread is to catalogue all those freebie bonuses that you can get with game pre-orders.

There'll be a list of them going in the second post.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I don't know...$15 for pre-order cases and you get $50 back...so technically spend $15 to make $35 profit :whistle2:k...I guess if I was in the market to pick up FEAR 2 it would be good.[/quote]
Would it work though? It would be like picking up FEAR 2 for $25 + tax.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Went to BB yesterday and they have Pre-Order cases for both Halo Wars LE and Regular. The box includes the code for the special Warthog paintjob. Not a huge deal, but if you want to guarantee you have a code upon release you can get one now for $5 down instead of waiting for Amazon to send it out or hoping the GS/EB employee remembers to give you a code when you pick up your game. If you end up buying the game somewhere else you can always bring your receipt to the store and get your $5 back.

Also they do throw away the pre-order bonuses after the game releases most of the time if it is just a game case. They did hold onto the RB2 T-shirt packs and they tried to sell the Gears Tank for $9.99 at my local store though.[/quote]

Ha, I saw the same and bought a tank. They are all gone now except for a million white Forced Unleashed t shirts FOR $40 EACH

The FEAR 2 preorder is supposed to be 250 "Gamerzone" rewardzone points (worth $16.7), but it shows up as only 250 regular rewardzone points (worth $5). 250 Gamerzone points should have translated into roughly 835 bonus rewardzone points. Although it lists it as "250 bonus points", you can't really see the actual number of points pending, so maybe it will end up as 835 after the waiting period is over. But probably not.

[quote name='chocobo000']The FEAR 2 preorder is supposed to be 250 "Gamerzone" rewardzone points (worth $16.7), but it shows up as only 250 regular rewardzone points (worth $5). 250 Gamerzone points should have translated into roughly 835 bonus rewardzone points. Although it lists it as "250 bonus points", you can't really see the actual number of points pending, so maybe it will end up as 835 after the waiting period is over. But probably not.[/QUOTE]

Your math is wrong. The way Gamerzone works is that they credit your account with 500 regular reward zone points for every $150 you spend on games and accessories in addition to your regular reward zone points. I have received two $10 bonus certs so far and this is exactly how their system handles it. 250 Gamerzone points is equal to 250 reward zone points, only it's like having your points threshold set at 500 with no chance of collecting anything before it hits that point. The incentive here is that if you go ahead and buy the game, you will get 60 additional Best Buy reward zone points and $60 more credit towards the $150 you need to get another 500 bonus reward zone points. Basically, you are getting the equivalent of $5 on this offer, but which can only be collected once you qualify to get a $10 Gamerzone cert which means you need to spend another $15 on qualifying items down the road since you need a total of 500 Gamerzone points to earn a certificate.

[quote name='bojay1997']Your math is wrong. The way Gamerzone works is that they credit your account with 500 regular reward zone points for every $150 you spend on games and accessories in addition to your regular reward zone points. I have received two $10 bonus certs so far and this is exactly how their system handles it. 250 Gamerzone points is equal to 250 reward zone points, only it's like having your points threshold set at 500 with no chance of collecting anything before it hits that point. The incentive here is that if you go ahead and buy the game, you will get 60 additional Best Buy reward zone points and $60 more credit towards the $150 you need to get another 500 bonus reward zone points. Basically, you are getting the equivalent of $5 on this offer, but which can only be collected once you qualify to get a $10 Gamerzone cert which means you need to spend another $15 on qualifying items down the road since you need a total of 500 Gamerzone points to earn a certificate.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I misunderstand you, but are you saying you will not get the Gamerzone reward coupon until you spend $150 no matter how many Gamerzone reward points you have in your account?

So let's say my dollars spent is 0. If I bought two of these, and got 500 GZ Reward Points, I wouldn't get a coupon because I've only spent $10. (I still need $140)

The same for if I bought 4 of them, they will leave the 1000 GZ Reward Points in my account until I spent $130 more?

In the end if plan to reach $150 eventually, is that still a bad deal?

Basically, they show the logo for the Gamer's Club, but you only get 250 Reward Zone points. In otherwords, you buy the preorder, you get your normal 5 dollars in Video Game related purchases for gamers club, you also get 255 reward zone points for buying the preorder (250 as a bonus and 5 for the price you paid for the preorder).

Essentially, you are getting $5 off the price of the game, or you are getting your preorder price refunded.

Gamers Club doesn't have it's own point system, they just simply have a deal where if you spend $150 dollars, they give your RZ account an extra 500 RZ points.

Whoever said you get 15 dollars for each copy you preorder is 100% wrong.

[quote name='evophile']Sorry if I misunderstand you, but are you saying you will not get the Gamerzone reward coupon until you spend $150 no matter how many Gamerzone reward points you have in your account?

So let's say my dollars spent is 0. If I bought two of these, and got 500 GZ Reward Points, I wouldn't get a coupon because I've only spent $10. (I still need $140)

The same for if I bought 4 of them, they will leave the 1000 GZ Reward Points in my account until I spent $130 more?

In the end if plan to reach $150 eventually, is that still a bad deal?[/QUOTE]

Correct in part. Until you spend a total of $150 on games or otherwise get 500 points, you get nothing through Gamezone. If you buy two pre-orders and they allow you to get credit for both, you should get the $10 certificate as 500 Gamerzone points is the same as 500 RZ points which is $10 either way. If you buy four of them, you get 1000 GZ points which is 1000 RZ points, so you get $20 in certs. It's not a bad deal if you plan on buying the game. If you're just doing this to get the certs, it's not worth it because you are getting only what you put into this deal and essentially buying a $5 Best Buy gift card for $5.

WTF, there is a $19.99 and less section that has not dropped prices in a year, I swear to god. They have like Conan, NFS Carbon, Monster Madness and a couple of others that look good that are sitting at $20 and $15

[quote name='genfuyung']Any word on whether or not Best Buy is going to take reserves for the collectors edition of street fighter 4?[/quote]

Just F.Y.I., they are now taking reservations on the Collector's Edition now as well. There is a DVD case you get to keep, but there is no actual "bonus" with this one. There are separate cases for Regular and Collector's pre-orders.

I just picked up the Resistance Retribution pre-order for the demo and free UMD case for my Ratchet & Clank game that came with my 3000 Bundle

[quote name='Slermy']Just F.Y.I., they are now taking reservations on the Collector's Edition now as well. There is a DVD case you get to keep, but there is no actual "bonus" with this one. There are separate cases for Regular and Collector's pre-orders.[/quote]

*sigh* I wish I had seen this yesterday. I was at Best Buy today and didn't even look at the preorders. Thanks though.

This one's just for RZ members, but pre-order Halo Wars, and get 1 month XBL free.
https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/offerDetails.jspx?offerCode=GO1HALO
Good until 3/1
Here's a screenshot of the coupon:
halowarscoupon.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yukafls']Ha, I saw the same and bought a tank. They are all gone now except for a million white Forced Unleashed t shirts FOR $40 EACH[/quote]

I saw those 40 dollar t-shirts too and was like WWWHHUUTT!

The force unleashed shirts should be free if you buy the game though. I really wanted one, but even with employee discount the shirts were still like $25 wtf.

[quote name='soccerstud652']I wonder when ghostbusters preorders are going out.[/QUOTE]
Well, the Resident Evil 5 pre-orders came out pretty recently, and that game is scheduled to launch on March 13th.

Ghostbusters isn't scheduled to launch until June 16th, so my guess is that you wont see pre-orders until about a month beforehand, in May.

Pardon this question, but if I end up returning the pre-order on Halo Wars I get to keep the Live 30 day card, even though it is a regular 30 day card they pulled off of the shelf? I can see getting to keep the flame code (is anybody risking their RZ account by buying a bunch of these and planning on trading or Ebaying them?), but it seems less likely I can keep the Live card.

[quote name='turls']Pardon this question, but if I end up returning the pre-order on Halo Wars I get to keep the Live 30 day card, even though it is a regular 30 day card they pulled off of the shelf? I can see getting to keep the flame code (is anybody risking their RZ account by buying a bunch of these and planning on trading or Ebaying them?), but it seems less likely I can keep the Live card.[/quote]

I think BB would only refund the pre order with the 1mo card returned. The reason being that there is an actual value for the card at 7.99 The flaming warthog DLC is not worth the $5, they just like to have the deposit of $5 so you can commit to buying the game. You could probably get away with it if you get a dumb cashier to do the return.

Most pre-orders, you can return just the receipt and keep the pre-order bonus that came with them (whether it's a code of some kind of a physical thing), but since the month of XBL is not part of the pre-order but something you get separately with a coupon, I'm not sure if you're required to return it when you return the pre-order.
I guess the only way to find out is for someone to get the Halo Wars pre-order, then return it and see if BB asks for the card back, too.
I'd do it myself, but I don't have a 360.

EDIT:
Project Origin comes out tomorrow. I just checked and my RZ account still lists the points I'm getting as "pending," so unfortunately I wont be able to let you all know how many/what kind of points you get for it while the pre-orders are still available. If you still want to take a chance and see , though, today's the last day to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KABUKISTAR']Most pre-orders, you can return just the receipt and keep the pre-order bonus that came with them (whether it's a code of some kind of a physical thing), but since the month of XBL is not part of the pre-order but something you get separately with a coupon, I'm not sure if you're required to return it when you return the pre-order.
I guess the only way to find out is for someone to get the Halo Wars pre-order, then return it and see if BB asks for the card back, too.

EDIT:
Project Origin comes out tomorrow. I just checked and my RZ account still lists the points I'm getting as "pending," so unfortunately I wont be able to let you all know how many/what kind of points you get for it while the pre-orders are still available. If you still want to take a chance and see , though, today's the last day to do it.[/quote]

Points are added to your account 30 days after purchase

hmmm so question is it $15 for FEAR Preorder, or just $5 standard reward zone? Also say i dont pick up FEAR can i just walk in and apply my $5 to something else?

[quote name='Xfactor19990']hmmm so question is it $15 for FEAR Preorder, or just $5 standard reward zone? Also say i dont pick up FEAR can i just walk in and apply my $5 to something else?[/quote]

The Fear preorder was a standard $5 reward zone coupon. If you want to apply the 5 dollars to something else, there is a good chance you will lose the 250 rewards points because to get your 5 dollars back you have to "return" your preorder, which should automatically remove the rewards points from your account.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Is there a pre order bonus for RE5 ? I havent been there and wont be until wed.[/QUOTE]

No. Resident Evil 5 is just an empty box.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']Most pre-orders, you can return just the receipt and keep the pre-order bonus that came with them (whether it's a code of some kind of a physical thing), but since the month of XBL is not part of the pre-order but something you get separately with a coupon, I'm not sure if you're required to return it when you return the pre-order.

EDIT:
Project Origin comes out tomorrow. I just checked and my RZ account still lists the points I'm getting as "pending," so unfortunately I wont be able to let you all know how many/what kind of points you get for it while the pre-orders are still available. If you still want to take a chance and see , though, today's the last day to do it.[/QUOTE]

We already answered this question a number of pages above. You are getting RZ points since there are no such thing as GZ points. The bonus is in addition to the 5 RZ points and $5 in GZ credit which accrue for the deposit you put down on any game. You are basically getting your $5 back or an additional $5 off the game if you go through with the purchase which would probably be a mistake now that Warner Bros. has it for $36 with their 20% off coupon.

question - I was planning on getting KZ2 @ BB but decided to jump on the amazon deal instead. The preorder item was already shipping as I canceled and has arrived, I want to return it...I know you guys addressed this issue sort of in a previous post above me but just want to confirm that I can return this item to best buy and get my $5 bucks back.

PS: I ordered this item online so the receipt I would be using is the one that came with the packaging when it arrived. I have a feeling BB would want my preorder item back (the case+the code for the theme) as walking in there with just the receipt and expecting to keep my cash and the code would be a YMMV kinda of situation. Am i Wrong?

I didn't see mentioning of the preorder bonus for Godfather II. Did I miss it or something?

The bonus is an in-game character, Tommy Cipolla. The preorder box is a standard black DVD case but PS3 and Xbox 360 versions get their own box.

I saw a preorder bonus for Pokemon Platinum today at BB. It was one of those Pokemon figures, though I can't remember which one it was at this point. I think it was different from the Gamestop one though.

[quote name='Josef']I saw a preorder bonus for Pokemon Platinum today at BB. It was one of those Pokemon figures, though I can't remember which one it was at this point. I think it was different from the Gamestop one though.[/QUOTE]
I saw that in the BB weekly ad thread :D I'm going to go check it out on Sunday.

As far as the Godfather thing (and a bunch of other one's that people have mentioned), I sort of created this thread with the intention of mostly listing pre-order bonuses that are still useful even if you don't end up buying the game (so, ones that have something to offer besides in-game content).

Question to the group at large: would people like it better if I tried to include all kinds of pre-order bonuses?

Hey KABUKISTAR, don't know if you got this one but when you preorder Guitar Hero Metallica you get a "tattoo arm sleeve" (pick up the sleeve at time of pick-up)

Also you should update the OP with the newer stuff and delete the older presells or games that are already out

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']I saw that in the BB weekly ad thread :D I'm going to go check it out on Sunday.

As far as the Godfather thing (and a bunch of other one's that people have mentioned), I sort of created this thread with the intention of mostly listing pre-order bonuses that are still useful even if you don't end up buying the game (so, ones that have something to offer besides in-game content).

Question to the group at large: would people like it better if I tried to include all kinds of pre-order bonuses?[/quote]

definitely

Alright, I guess I'll start adding the pre-orders that include just in-game stuff, too...

Incidentally, I went down to BB on friday, and they had the Pokemon Platinum preorders out, but they weren't in a game box as usual; they were a stack of cards with barcodes on them that said (take this to the register to preorder". The language on the card made it sound like you get the figurine when you preorder, but when I took it to the cashier, they said you don't get it until you pick up the game.

Did anyone get their bonus rewards points for the Fear 2 pre-order? Mine is still pending (1/20 purchase, it's already like 37 days past so not sure why it's taking so long). Just curious because I did NOT pick up the game, but wanted to get the bonus points for the $5 pre-order (think we figured it to be a $16.66 value).

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']Incidentally, I went down to BB on friday, and they had the Pokemon Platinum preorders out, but they weren't in a game box as usual; they were a stack of cards with barcodes on them that said (take this to the register to preorder". The language on the card made it sound like you get the figurine when you preorder, but when I took it to the cashier, they said you don't get it until you pick up the game.[/QUOTE]At my local BB (Lexington, KY - Hamburg store) they had the boxes with the figures in the DS section along with the cards.

I took up the card and the box at the same time. The figure rang up for $10 then $0'ed out when purchased with the $5 pre-order.

Guess it is up to the store?

[quote name='jstew9']At my local BB (Lexington, KY - Hamburg store) they had the boxes with the figures in the DS section along with the cards.

I took up the card and the box at the same time. The figure rang up for $10 then $0'ed out when purchased with the $5 pre-order.

Guess it is up to the store?[/QUOTE]
Dang... I'll try heading back and looking again now that the official start-date for this thing has passed.

[quote name='awp']Did anyone get their bonus rewards points for the Fear 2 pre-order? Mine is still pending (1/20 purchase, it's already like 37 days past so not sure why it's taking so long). Just curious because I did NOT pick up the game, but wanted to get the bonus points for the $5 pre-order (think we figured it to be a $16.66 value).[/QUOTE]
Mine is still pending, too, and I bought the (first) preorder on 1/14. They are seriously dragging their feet on this.

^^ I wonder if they are advanced enough to not give you the credit if you don't pick up the game on a pre-order.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Your link goes to Walmart H3llbring3r ;)[/QUOTE]

That's what I get for a copy/pasta from an Atari email. :lol:
Fixed.

bread's done
Back