Best Buy Reward Zone Gamers Club changing in September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Just got this email:

The game is changing. New benefits. New rewards.
It's a whole new way to play the game.

Reward Zone® Gamers Club is leveling up. On September 12, 2011,
you will begin earning double points on new game software, including
digital content and accessories purchases. Plus, for $14.99 per year,
you can join the optional paid level—Gamers Club Unlocked—where
you'll enjoy access to even greater benefits: REWARD ZONE GAMERS CLUB
• A free subscription to @Gamer, the exclusive gaming magazine

• 10% off all pre-owned software purchases

• 10% bonus credit on trade-in software

• Reward Zone Gamers Club exclusive offers
Between now and September 11, 2011, you will continue to earn 500 bonus points for every $150 you spend on video games, PC games and video game accessories at Best Buy® stores or BestBuy.com®.

Then on September 12, 2011, you'll automatically be part of the new Reward Zone Gamers Club. And you'll have the opportunity to visit a Best Buy store and 'level up' to Reward Zone Gamers Club Unlocked. And because you’ve been a loyal Gamers Club member, we want to give you a preview of the new club. So going back to June 1, 2011, you'll also earn double points on all new software and accessories purchases.

All this plus the Reward Zone points you earn every day for nearly all your Best Buy purchases, including gaming hardware. For the latest Reward Zone Gamers Club information, visit MyRZ.com.

I'm not sure if the doubling points thing actually benefits us. The way it's worded, it sounds like they'll be getting rid of the 500 bonus points for every $150 in game purchases. Which means double point purchases is actually a downgrade since we'll get 300 points instead of 500 points for every $150 spent.

The $15 a year thing is the same price as a @Gamer magazine subscription right now. Not sure if the 10% saved on trade ins and preowned games would be worth it enough.

[quote name='Wario64']Except you have to pay $15 a year for this reward, and you'd have to be buying used games exclusively. Last time I checked, their used games section is pretty bad unless there's some other promos going on.

I'd rather have my $10 for every $150 game purchases. It's easy to rack $150 up between new game purchases and digital cards.[/QUOTE]

The magazine costs $15 so this is no different than subscribing. The coupons are worth the money already.

What if u reach $150 before Sept 12? The credit will appear after 35 days so after Sept 12. Do you still get the 500 points?

[quote name='Tony208']what a joke, they barely have any used games[/QUOTE]

Mine has 20 copies each of Fallout NV and Endwar.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='stageman12']It will be available around Aug 20th; there's the 35 day waiting period.[/QUOTE]

Oh awesome. Thanks for the reply :)

Glad i should be hitting 150$ for the last time by next month. Either way, was surprised to see i had 1000 points sitting in my account O_O. (They sure as heck werent there last week).

I bought the gamestop card because that does pay off. Gamestop usually has niche titles or at least a wide varitey of titles. With a B2G1 sale it isn't bad. Plus I can usually get a few bucks on some trade-in deals.

Now with Best Buy, they have absolute shit for a preowned selection and while that 10% bonus credit is tempting. I would need to trade in $150 a year to break even. Plus while that magazine is tempting, I don't think I would use any coupons because well I usually only buy games at full retail or $20 or less.

[quote name='Midnight Express']I heard they are opening up new stores call BestStop or Game Buy... I mean Best Buy is using the exact same business model as Gamestop. I went by there today and the used games are priced just like Gamestop but they are "shrinkwrapped" so you can't see what condition the games are in. I guess they want a piece of the pie.[/QUOTE]

A store associate told me this as well - for real. Like the new BB Mobile locations, they are looking to open Gaming stores in strip malls - like GS - that strictly have games.

[quote name='Wario64']Except you have to pay $15 a year for this reward, and you'd have to be buying used games exclusively. Last time I checked, their used games section is pretty bad unless there's some other promos going on.

I'd rather have my $10 for every $150 game purchases. It's easy to rack $150 up between new game purchases and digital cards.[/QUOTE]

But you are also getting the mag w/ coupons. Also, while the used selection has been scarce, we can only hope they are stockpiling these in inventory for some kind of big launch. They keep having trade-in promo's, but not re-stocking the used games - so where are they going?

I'm still pissed about the fact that points expire every year in february. Which I just figured out last week, since I don't buy all that much at Best Buy (but I was thinking that I should be close to some reward).

[quote name='Pyramid Head']Are we sure they don't mean double points from what it is now?[/QUOTE]

The e-mail specifically states that we'll continue earning the 500 bonus points for $150 through September 11 before switching to the new program the next day. They're definitely screwing us

The BB coupons that accompany the mags will pay off the $15 subscription since these deals stack now. BB is just starting out in the used game business. Just be patient and keep feeding them complete copies. It'll all come full circle nicely. In for 1.

The bottom of the email says we get to preview the club and get double points on all of our gaming purchases since June 1st 2011. When do you think we will see the extra points?

[quote name='Donut2922']The BB coupons that accompany the mags will pay off the $15 subscription since these deals stack now. BB is just starting out in the used game business. Just be patient and keep feeding them complete copies. It'll all come full circle nicely. In for 1.[/QUOTE]

I am in for 1 as long as they take the subscription I paid for just last month and apply it to the new GC Unlocked. They won't be getting another $15 from me just 3 months later.

Guess I will be picking up Uncharted 2 after all, since I'm 14 points short.

Won't be joining the new club. I don't shop there enough.

[quote name='cancerman1120']On top of it they now want another $15 from me to "unlock" this "deal". I just got a subscription last month and have not received one magazine yet. So am I going to have to get 2 magazines a month for this? Will they just extend my subscription by a year? It is already a dumb idea and if they make their subscribers pay again for this I might just go with Amazon even if it means spending $30-40 more on my 5 games this fall. I will take my $400 in trade in credit and buy Kindle cards and tell the cashier exactly why I am doing it.[/QUOTE]

I got mine on Saturday - so, yeah, I'm with you. I will not accept an extension of my subscription since if this program is worth a crap, I will most likely be enrolling yearly as I do with GS. I will have no use for an extra year of just the mag w/o the plan. Not sure if I should just wait and see or call CS now and try to cancel my subscription since I only signed up a couple of days ago. Until some type of official word comes down, they will only be speculating in-store, so it does not pay to ask.

[quote name='dinovelvet']So, a magazine, 10% off used games, and 10% bonus on trade-ins for $14.99 a year.

Can't help feeling that this is a little...familiar.[/QUOTE]

Let me think... GameStop? :lol:

[quote name='cancerman1120']I am in for 1 as long as they take the subscription I paid for just last month and apply it to the new GC Unlocked. They won't be getting another $15 from me just 3 months later.[/QUOTE]I feel you even though I still have several months left I want to either be extended or receive a discount off the next 10 issues.

Losing the spend $150 get $10 is a HUGE blow but as for spending the $15 not that big of a deal since I've more than come up just on the last 2 months with the mag. That 50% off used game coupon was the best. I'd say to people just look at the $15 for the magazine alone, if it doesn't seem like it'll pay for itself in your mind then don't but if the mag has value get it.

Remember, this is just 1 more new program I can't say the total number that their offering but
1-@gamer coupons stack recent history has proved very good
2-trade in offers have been very generous & seem to be increasing
3-you can still end up with a new release for $40 & $10 credit most of the time.

[quote name='Enuf']I feel you even though I still have several months left I want to either be extended or receive a discount off the next 10 issues.[/QUOTE]

I would take a prorated discount, but no thanks to the extension. Again, if the program works out, I will sign up every year, so the extended subscription only would never actually take effect - unless it rolled together and extended the program as well.

I know you can purchase the mag and PUR memberships separately at GS, but maybe this will be rolled together at BB. I laugh when I receive my GS mag and there is a subscription card inside for the mag only, for the same price as the PUR membership - which includes said mag.

[quote name='Enuf']I feel you even though I still have several months left I want to either be extended or receive a discount off the next 10 issues.

Losing the spend $150 get $10 is a HUGE blow but as for spending the $15 not that big of a deal since I've more than come up just on the last 2 months with the mag. That 50% off used game coupon was the best. I'd say to people just look at the $15 for the magazine alone, if it doesn't seem like it'll pay for itself in your mind then don't but if the mag has value get it.

Remember, this is just 1 more new program I can't say the total number that their offering but
1-@gamer coupons stack recent history has proved very good
2-trade in offers have been very generous & seem to be increasing
3-you can still end up with a new release for $40 & $10 credit most of the time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am not jumping off the bus but I hope they do the right thing for people with subscriptions already. The magazines really do pay for themselves. Even the most recent mag was not stellar but getting DSIII for $25 and TDU2 for $10 was pretty slick. I have a ton of credit now so the RZ points thing does not bother me in the short term so hopefully we will see in the end the new system will be more consumer friendly.

I hate Best Buy, and hate their arrogant sales people even more. I will never succumb to this type of paid "membership". I seriously wish Circuit City was still around right now. I would LOVE to see what kind of competition they would be putting up.

[quote name='ShirtSizeXXXLXT']I hate Best Buy, and hate their arrogant sales people even more. I will never succumb to this type of paid "membership". I seriously wish Circuit City was still around right now. I would LOVE to see what kind of competition they would be putting up.[/QUOTE]

CC had their own Gamers Club. For $20/year, you got 10% off any game. It was great when the discount wouldn't apply automatically and the cashier would get frustrated and punch in a random discount amount, usually more than the 10%.

[quote name='Wario64']Just got this email:

I'm not sure if the doubling points thing actually benefits us. The way it's worded, it sounds like they'll be getting rid of the 500 bonus points for every $150 in game purchases. Which means double point purchases is actually a downgrade since we'll get 300 points instead of 500 points for every $150 spent.

The $15 a year thing is the same price as a @Gamer magazine subscription right now. Not sure if the 10% saved on trade ins and preowned games would be worth it enough.[/QUOTE]

It's stupid that BB gives you gift cards for your trade-ins, but then you can't earn points if you buy games at BB with those gift cards. BB, you're doing it wrong.

This is terrible. Basically the same as Gamestop... except GameStop has a much better selection, better prices on used games, easier trade-in processes (and accept more things), and a better rewards program and magazine.

GG, BB. The past couple of months have been fun.

I might upgrade and subscribe as long as the mag continues to have coupons that stack with sales.

Not sure if I would be buying used games unless their inventory gets upgraded as well.

[quote name='hustletron']The only thing I buy at BB these days is Kindle gift cards and I pay for those with BestBuy gift cards. ZING POW![/QUOTE]

Yeah am going to blow all my credit on Kindle gift cards. Poor move BB..

[quote name='cancerman1120']I am in for 1 as long as they take the subscription I paid for just last month and apply it to the new GC Unlocked. They won't be getting another $15 from me just 3 months later.[/QUOTE]

I've bought an extra mag here and there for certain deals before. So the way I see it, I'd actually prefer having 2 subscriptions simultaneously. Much cheaper than to buy a 2nd mag over the 1 year subscription period.

[quote name='zenquix']Yeah am going to blow all my credit on Kindle gift cards. Poor move BB..[/QUOTE]

I just tried it out today and can tell you that as an alternative, you can redeem your BB trade-in GC's for a prepaid VISA card ($20 - $200) instead of an Amazon card. The downside is that there's a $6 activation fee per card. However if you build up a ton of trade-in credit, you might as well turn it into more liquid currency like a VISA card. Besides, redeeming $150 in GC's negates you from the extra $10 BB RZ certificate anyway.

Maybe I'm just stupid but can anyone else not find the link to the gamers club from reward zone site anymore? I'm trying to check how much more I have to spend before this change.

EDIT: nevermind I am stupid, I guess they integrated it into the regular reward zone site. I still have $90 to spend, that's not going to happen.

wow, leave it to best buy to start doing something well and start to pull market share from gamestop then totally fuck it up full bore.

So basically it's just like PUR but worthless.. make me WANT to pay another $15 when i just bought the damn subscription.
-__-

EDIT:
Also they should allow us get points for the games we trade in OR let us get points off of the purchases using the "Game Trade in Credit" Cards.

I'd seriously be surprised to see this last more than a couple of months. How many people actually buy the magazine, or the used games for that matter? Usually if I need one of the coupons I just point it out in the mag and the cashier just scans it. Not to mention that most BB's in my area have maybe a dozen different used games, and charge way more than Gamestop. Pushing this program just because it works for Gamestop is going to backfire.

[quote name='Donut2922']I've bought an extra mag here and there for certain deals before. So the way I see it, I'd actually prefer having 2 subscriptions simultaneously. Much cheaper than to buy a 2nd mag over the 1 year subscription period.

I just tried it out today and can tell you that as an alternative, you can redeem your BB trade-in GC's for a prepaid VISA card ($20 - $200) instead of an Amazon card. The downside is that there's a $6 activation fee per card. However if you build up a ton of trade-in credit, you might as well turn it into more liquid currency like a VISA card. Besides, redeeming $150 in GC's negates you from the extra $10 BB RZ certificate anyway.[/QUOTE]

can you refill the cards if it's been activated?

Well there goes my game shopping at BB. Which also means I am very likely to lose my Silver membership as well. This card is pointless once the new program begins. The used selection is crap and the trade in bonus does me no good since BB will only take games for trade that were purchased from BB to begin with and you have to have the receipt.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Well there goes my game shopping at BB. Which also means I am very likely to lose my Silver membership as well. This card is pointless once the new program begins. The used selection is crap and the trade in bonus does me no good since BB will only take games for trade that were purchased from BB to begin with and you have to have the receipt.[/QUOTE]wait this only effects the gamers club right? the reg. RZ will remain the same so if I buy a $100 in B/R's I'd get 125 points(with my silver bonus). I generally get all my movies/cds here pm'ing kmart/walmart b/c their almost always cheaper & using cash for games since at that point I was getting points 2x already. Gonna have to see how this looks on a receipt with all the bonuses adding up before I make a decision.

Think I'm going to call in tomorrow to find out if I will get double points from Gamers Club, then double that from using my credit card, + 25% for Silver status. Any other way and it's not worth it.

I wish they made this more clear in the email. Pretty sure when they say double points they mean double what gamer club members already get. It's supposed to be every $75 gets $10 back with the new program. At least that is what was first leaked out during E3 and communicated with Best Buy associates.

Take back what I previously said. Figured out the total points in excel.

Currently how it's done:
$150 Spent [150pts] + Gamers Club Bonus [500pts] + If you use credit card [150pts] + If you have Silver Status 25% [37pts] = 837pts.

How it will be done, if we're lucky:
$150 Spent [150pts] + Gamers Club Bonus [150pts] + If you use credit card [300pts] + If you have Silver Status 25% [75pts] = 675pts.

How they'll probably do it:
$150 Spent [150pts] + Gamers Club Bonus [150pts] + If you use credit card [150pts] + If you have Silver Status 25% [37pts] = 487pts.

[quote name='AdvOfJet'] the trade in bonus does me no good since BB will only take games for trade that were purchased from BB to begin with and you have to have the receipt.[/QUOTE]

It is unfortunate that this is true for you, but that is entirely up to the local "pawn shop" lawns in your area.

Best Buy's here take any game so long as it is in good condition and they are actually buying it.

Not getting a bonus certificate for ever $150 is unfortunate, but since I was already planning to get an @gamer subscription since the coupons have been descent and there have been so many good deals at BB lately for games this doesn't affect me too much.

Do those @Gamer subscriptions count towards the $150 thing? I need to spend $11 to reach my next 500 points, and was thinking that might be a good way to boost it.

And just out of curiosity, does the mag you buy in store when subscribing count as one of the 10 issues?

[quote name='karyadi']can you refill the cards if it's been activated?[/QUOTE]

good question. don't think it's reloadable though but i'll have to ask sometime.

The fact that they removed the $10 RZ when you buy $150 is the worst part. To me, that cancelled out tax. Now I'll check, double check, and triple check Amazon to see if they have the game I want in stock.

Wow BB is starting to really suck. They also recently raised the employment requirements with hour blocks/weekend minimums. If it's corporate-wide, they will likely loose a quarter of their staff, maybe more. Either they are trying to really buckle down or someone's getting greedy.

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised to see future BB stores half their current size, and in some areas small enough to be in a mall.

This is such horseshit. Do they think were stupid? Is there any place to complain? We should all go in and cancel each and every preorder to send a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back