Best Buy Reward Zone Gamers Club changing in September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Just got this email:

The game is changing. New benefits. New rewards.
It's a whole new way to play the game.

Reward Zone® Gamers Club is leveling up. On September 12, 2011,
you will begin earning double points on new game software, including
digital content and accessories purchases. Plus, for $14.99 per year,
you can join the optional paid level—Gamers Club Unlocked—where
you'll enjoy access to even greater benefits: REWARD ZONE GAMERS CLUB
• A free subscription to @Gamer, the exclusive gaming magazine

• 10% off all pre-owned software purchases

• 10% bonus credit on trade-in software

• Reward Zone Gamers Club exclusive offers
Between now and September 11, 2011, you will continue to earn 500 bonus points for every $150 you spend on video games, PC games and video game accessories at Best Buy® stores or BestBuy.com®.

Then on September 12, 2011, you'll automatically be part of the new Reward Zone Gamers Club. And you'll have the opportunity to visit a Best Buy store and 'level up' to Reward Zone Gamers Club Unlocked. And because you’ve been a loyal Gamers Club member, we want to give you a preview of the new club. So going back to June 1, 2011, you'll also earn double points on all new software and accessories purchases.

All this plus the Reward Zone points you earn every day for nearly all your Best Buy purchases, including gaming hardware. For the latest Reward Zone Gamers Club information, visit MyRZ.com.

I'm not sure if the doubling points thing actually benefits us. The way it's worded, it sounds like they'll be getting rid of the 500 bonus points for every $150 in game purchases. Which means double point purchases is actually a downgrade since we'll get 300 points instead of 500 points for every $150 spent.

The $15 a year thing is the same price as a @Gamer magazine subscription right now. Not sure if the 10% saved on trade ins and preowned games would be worth it enough.

I never got the $30 worth of points for buying Toy Story 3 for the 360 back in April, so I don't really trust this program anymore.

So, if I don't pay for this program, what happens on Sep 12? Am I no longer a RZ member? Do I lose what I've already earned?

Back to Amazon. I just spent $80 on the B2G1 a couple weeks back @ BB.

[quote name='Gore']So, if I don't pay for this program, what happens on Sep 12? Am I no longer a RZ member? Do I lose what I've already earned?

Back to Amazon. I just spent $80 on the B2G1 a couple weeks back @ BB.[/QUOTE]

Is reading the OP that hard?

[quote name='Gore']So, if I don't pay for this program, what happens on Sep 12? Am I no longer a RZ member? Do I lose what I've already earned?

Back to Amazon. I just spent $80 on the B2G1 a couple weeks back @ BB.[/QUOTE]your still a RZ member, you just won't earn 2X RZ points or $10 for every $150 spent on gaming.

Tomorrow 7/28 will be 45 days till 7/11 for RZ silver members &
8/7 will be 35 days till 7/11 for reg. RZ members.

This new program is STILL IN FLUX!!!(no promises though)but my **SUGGESTION** to EVERYONE who doesn't want the program to change ie. loss of the $10 RZ for spending $150 on gaming is to let your voice be heard ASAP!
Post your thoughts/opinions/better ideas @ the links provided while there's STILL TIME!!!
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Re...-in-September/td-p/305368?device-view=desktop

http://bestbuyideax.com/ideas/19737/dont-end-the-current-gamers-club-10-rz-earned-for-every-150-

http://bestbuyideax.com/ideas/16130/expand-the-gamers-grab-bag-100-rz-promo-to-300

[quote name='Enuf']your still a RZ member, you just won't earn 2X RZ points or $10 for every $150 spent on gaming.

Tomorrow 7/28 will be 45 days till 7/11 for RZ silver members &
8/7 will be 35 days till 7/11 for reg. RZ members.

This new program is STILL IN FLUX!!!(no promises though)but my **SUGGESTION** to EVERYONE who doesn't want the program to change ie. loss of the $10 RZ for spending $150 on gaming is to let your voice be heard ASAP!
Post your thoughts/opinions/better ideas @ the links provided while there's STILL TIME!!!
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Re...-in-September/td-p/305368?device-view=desktop

http://bestbuyideax.com/ideas/19737/dont-end-the-current-gamers-club-10-rz-earned-for-every-150-

http://bestbuyideax.com/ideas/16130/expand-the-gamers-grab-bag-100-rz-promo-to-300[/QUOTE]

good job on the post. Im not liking how BB is turning out. This new program is going to suck. Guess Amazon will get most of the business

Just reading that email is everyone here sure they are interpreting this correctly?

It sounds like they are just giving double points to the Paying Members the Free Members will still get the $150 gets $10 certificate deals. No where in there do they explicitly state that they are doing away with that aspect of the Gamers' Club.

[quote name='TheBiz']Just reading that email is everyone here sure they are interpreting this correctly?

It sounds like they are just giving double points to the Paying Members the Free Members will still get the $150 gets $10 certificate deals. No where in there do they explicitly state that they are doing away with that aspect of the Gamers' Club.[/QUOTE]

That's actually what I was wondering too, and I'm wondering if anyone at Best Buy has given any further comment on the change coming.

[quote name='Enuf']

even now the GS program is still weaker. B2g1 is only on used games, BB sells more than just games so that's an advantage GS will never have, you have price protection at BB 30-45 days, GS doesn't offer pre-order credit or instant gc's plus their mag has no coupons & any new game deal at GS would be the same price at BB just match it.

^^^ PUR pales in comparison across the board & BB will probably start matching GS used game prices.[/QUOTE]

Ah, lest ye forget that at GS you can give your used copy back in 1 week & nothing is harmed. BB does not do that. Until BB gets more used stuff in store and does B2G1 promotions, BB will not win the used market. Might as well walk into a KB Toys for a game at that point. Yes, I know they closed - that's my point; I don't need or want copies of Rock Revolution or Tony Hawk 8.

I agree that for new, BB will usually win - although I cannot think of more than a time or two in the last couple of years that they have actually had a release day price of less than retail. I'm not talking pre-order stuff, I'm talking walk in on release day and get something (KMart).

Well, outside of the question of the valuation of points, I've been shopping at BB for a long time as a Gamer's Reward member. I've never bought the @Gamer magazine until yesterday, at which point I saved $15 on a purchase I was going to make anyways using the coupons in the magazine. That makes my subscription essentially free, and the 10% bonus and 10% savings respectively adds more value to me over what I'm getting today. (No bonus or savings.) So, it seems to me it's easy to justify the @Gamer magazine once you need a coupon from inside of it.

Le sigh. I worry that Best Buy is trying to beat GameStop by becoming GameStop, which is starting to like what is happening. If they start forcing pre-orders on us, then I may have to give up on Best Buy for game purchases. I noticed at one of my stores they printed out a bunch of the pre-order receipts and put each of them in the shoplifting-prevention cases with the rest of the games. Kind of tacky and seems like an effort to push those pre-orders. It's a race to the bottom between these two stores.

I do wonder if stores are trying to keep less games on the shelves though. This was from a GameStop employee trying to push pre-orders so take it with a grain of salt, but she claimed that games in the future will need to be pre-ordered because they weren't going to order extras anymore. If this is actually true, I wonder if the economy is starting to hurt the game industry and retailers enough that they are considering ordering less product (not that I have heard the game industry was in trouble). But like I said, this was from a GameStop employee trying to sell pre-orders.

The biggest benefit to Best Buy's programs are for those who buy the latest games close to release date, and trade them in relatively quickly. For me, who often is not buying the latest games and buys a lot of used games, Gamestop is still the better deal overall.

The argument that Best Buy has more stuff to used your money on doesn't hold water for me since they nerfed the music department. Since then, I haven't spent nearly as much there as I used to.

Also Game Informer > @Gamer from my limited experience.

[quote name='skubish']Yawn, I can't remember the last time a bought something from BB.[/QUOTE]

This. Fry's or Wal-Mart PM or online purchase preferable now

What happens to BB RZ Credit Card members such as myself?

I already get 2.5x points on all BB purchases.

I also don't think the email implies the 150.00 in game purchases for a 10 RZ is going away. Becoming a premium member just gets you double points and the extra 10% on trades, along with the magazine.

After reading the email multiple times, it's worded funny, but it never once says the 150.00 for 10RZ certs is going away.

It says after September 12th the program will change.

Think of it like this.

We're all in the Regular Gamer Club

We'll all get bumped to the new gamer club starting September 12th. I'd expect people in this club will get the 150 = 10, the buy 5 games deal and maybe a 500 bonus offer here and there.

Or you can upgrade to the new club +. 10% on trades, the magazine, double points, and "exclusive offers."

Not sure why everyone is freaking out.

Until we get confirmation from BB on their message boards, we'll all be in the same program as we've been in for years.

[quote name='seanr1221']What happens to BB RZ Credit Card members such as myself?

I also don't think the email implies the 150.00 in game purchases for a 10 RZ is going away. Becoming a premium member just gets you double points and the extra 10% on trades, along with the magazine.

After reading the email multiple times, it's worded funny, but it never once says the 150.00 for 10RZ certs is going away.

Think of it like this.

We'll all get bumped to the new gamer club starting September 12th. I'd expect people in this club will get the 150 = 10, the buy 5 games deal and maybe a 500 bonus offer here and there.

Or you can upgrade to the new club +. 10% on trades, the magazine, double points, and "exclusive offers."

Until we get confirmation from BB on their message boards, we'll all be in the same program as we've been in for years.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with your analysis completely. If your take on it was correct, why mention the cut off date of September 12th in connection with the $10 bonus for $150? Here is the exact quote from the e-mail message - "Between now and September 11, 2011, you will continue to earn 500 bonus points for every $150 you spend on video games, PC games and video game accessories at Best Buy® stores or BestBuy.com®." If they meant it was continuing and you were also getting regular RZ points plus double points, they would have simply said "then, starting on September 12th, you'll get double RZ points on all game purchases in addition to your current benefits". Unless they have the absolute worst marketing people on the planet writing their e-mails, there is no reason to assume the $10 for $150 will continue past September 12th. It seems much more likely that this is not in fact the case and that the double points are replacing the $10 for $150.

Then on September 12, 2011, you'll automatically be part of the new Reward Zone Gamers Club. And you'll have the opportunity to visit a Best Buy store and 'level up' to Reward Zone Gamers Club Unlocked. And because you’ve been a loyal Gamers Club member, we want to give you a preview of the new club. So going back to June 1, 2011, you'll also earn double points on all new software and accessories purchases.

This is the statement that makes me think it will be double points on the current offer. Why else would they go back to June 1st and also give you double points on all new game purchases? So I'm assuming it's in addition to the current bonus point level. And then they go on to say it's a "preview of the new club." So, going back to June 1st and giving you double points is a preview of the new club?

[quote name='jmbreci']Ah, lest ye forget that at GS you can give your used copy back in 1 week & nothing is harmed. BB does not do that. Until BB gets more used stuff in store and does B2G1 promotions, BB will not win the used market. Might as well walk into a KB Toys for a game at that point. Yes, I know they closed - that's my point; I don't need or want copies of Rock Revolution or Tony Hawk 8.

I agree that for new, BB will usually win - although I cannot think of more than a time or two in the last couple of years that they have actually had a release day price of less than retail. I'm not talking pre-order stuff, I'm talking walk in on release day and get something (KMart).[/QUOTE]To be honest BB is really 7 stores in 1(TRU/kmart/Sam's club/Sears/GS/Target) damn near most of their sales can be pm'd + RZ points. A $10 pre-order bonus & $40 kmart pm = $30 value for a game day 1 which beats amazon/newegg day 1.
If BB does match the 7 day policy w/GS how long do you think it'll last? People will exploit it & then it'll be done plus BB tracks returns/exchanges b/c of this type of activity now so we can thank those who abuse the system extensively for this.
BB is a baby when it comes to the used market no different than TRU or Target so I don't expect them to be ahead of GS right now anyways. When their stock is better we'll see better deals. As long as their TIV's are good & they start to price match other stores used prices I can wait.
I did make a ? post concerning their used policy but NA yet
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Be...olicy-the-same-as-gamestops/m-p/306838#M51368

[quote name='Josef']This is the statement that makes me think it will be double points on the current offer. Why else would they go back to June 1st and also give you double points on all new game purchases? So I'm assuming it's in addition to the current bonus point level. And then they go on to say it's a "preview of the new club." So, going back to June 1st and giving you double points is a preview of the new club?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and a way to smooth over the outcry once people figure out that the $10/$150 was a much better deal. There is literally no way they are going to give you regular RZ credit, double points and $10/$150. That would be a return of almost 12% on every dollar spent, not including all the other promotions they are running. 12% would cut their margin to almost nothing on many titles. Not gonna happen, mark my words.

I wonder how they're going to pull off this whole 'going back to June 1st and giving you double points'? I have quite a few transactions since then, and I want to make sure it shows up.

Just looking at my RZ account makes me a little sad to think that the $10/$150 might be going away...Ever since the Gamer's Club inception, I've earned a few hundred dollars in RZ certificates just from that little bonus alone.

I traded in some games today to move some GS credit over and asked an employee and according to him the @Gamer subscription that comes with the membership will be added as an additional year on top of any current subscriptions you may have.

[quote name='Donut2922']I traded in some games today to move some GS credit over and asked an employee and according to him the @Gamer subscription that comes with the membership will be added as an additional year on top of any current subscriptions you may have.[/QUOTE]
Rumblings of possible added benefits to those who already subscribed, sure would be nice if we recieved a Sony style "I'm sorry" gesture as well. $10-$20 in RZ certs would just about cover it.

I just subed to the magazine last month and I have yet to receive a single issue. With the gamer club coming up soon, think I can email some complain about it and maybe get enough reward for an account or are we chopped liver?

[quote name='Xellos2099']I just subed to the magazine last month and I have yet to receive a single issue. With the gamer club coming up soon, think I can email some complain about it and maybe get enough reward for an account or are we chopped liver?[/QUOTE]The new issue should have some clearly outlined details guess this is why they picked now to do this, the extra time will allow the full changes to be in effect & running in Sept. My guess is they'll reward early adopters(hopefully with RZ points $10-$20) or a special coupon(s). However, the new changes aren't yet set in stone it's a fluid situation....the negative response has made an impact but there needs to be more outcry on the BB forums board, pm's, emails etc to hammer home the point that it will not be accepted or sales will move elsewhere.

WTF the Eagles signed Asomugha? Oh $hit!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='seanr1221']What happens to BB RZ Credit Card members such as myself?

Think of it like this.

Until we get confirmation from BB on their message boards, we'll all be in the same program as we've been in for years.[/QUOTE]

You'll find a bit of information if you click through Enuf's link to the Best Buy forums. The spend $150 get $10 is going away. Everyone in the GC gets double points on games and accessories. It's unclear if 500 bonus points and the like will still be available for those who don't pay.

EDIT: as for your credit card question, I got triple points for a purchase I made at their last special event, so I'd expect that means BB credit card purchases for games will be getting triple points as well.

Would people have interest in a similar setup as earning RZ silver(25% bonus but on all gaming purchases)
Ex.
1-Everyone who joins the unlocked will automatically receive RZ points for joining
2-Everyone get 25% extra points on gaming purchases for the 1st yr but you must spend $750 a yr on gaming to maintain this 25% bonus.
2A-If you buy 1 $60 game per month your spending $720 a yr already so that's where I get the $750 from(not a # picked outta the sky)
3-this bonus works just like the RZ silver one so it stacks on top of other promos etc.
4-Since we can't get more spending tiers above silver maybe we can go from gamers club silver to gamers club gold so if your a hardcore gamer beyond $750/yr you can get more like 3X points on pre-orders similar to PC Richard & Son
http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/th...olumnName=DISPLAY_PRICE&viewall=1&sortOrder=2
Just an idea but what do you think?
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Re...s-Club-changing-in-September/m-p/307576#M1024

http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Re...amers-Club-Changes-Coming-9-12-11/td-p/320180

What do I get extra for enrolling in the Reward Zone Gamers Club Unlocked for $14.99?
A free 1 year subscription to @Gamer Magazine (a $14.99 value alone!)
10% additional Trade In Credit
10% off Pre-Owned software purchases
Reward Zone Gamers Club Exclusive offers

^^^word of advice there will be offers sent ONLY to unlocked members(IE. the GS PS3 gc offer)if you wait till the last minute & try to join when a offer is leaked expect to be on the outside looking in. Just read the @gamer threads full of people who passed on the $10/yr sub or reg sub. now begging for a coupon scan.

[quote name='Enuf']http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Re...amers-Club-Changes-Coming-9-12-11/td-p/320180

What do I get extra for enrolling in the Reward Zone Gamers Club Unlocked for $14.99?

^^^word of advice there will be offers sent ONLY to unlocked members(IE. the GS PS3 gc offer)if you wait till the last minute & try to join when a offer is leaked expect to be on the outside looking in. Just read the @gamer threads full of people who passed on the $10/yr sub or reg sub. now begging for a coupon scan.[/QUOTE]

Has there been any word if the 10% additional trade in credit will stack with other promos or if it's one or the other?

I really do hope they update the trade-in software on the store side of things when this happens to speed things up - if anything to help the poor employees who have to take 20 minutes to get everything in order for a trade-in of four games.

[quote name='handsomepete']Has there been any word if the 10% additional trade in credit will stack with other promos or if it's one or the other?

I really do hope they update the trade-in software on the store side of things when this happens to speed things up - if anything to help the poor employees who have to take 20 minutes to get everything in order for a trade-in of four games.[/QUOTE]pretty sure it stacks just like @ GS

[quote name='Indiana Jones']Does the Gamer Bonus Points bar list all your purchases or everything but the ones that are still pending? Anyone know?[/QUOTE]

Mine is showing my previous purchases and my pending purchases. Those that are gamer zone purchases have a little symbol next to them. Once my last pending one goes through i'll get my bonus 500 points!

i dont get it ? you guys are saying that the 250 points from the reguler reward zone is going to be easy to get now because those points are going to be dobble now ? so what happends to just gamer points by them selfs ? because when you look at your reward zone online it shows U the gaming items purchesed (icon) and normal items purchesed. what exactly are we paying $15 dollars for ? just the stupid 10% off or for what ??? do we hsve a option to just keep some kind of reward zone without paying ? are we just paying for gamers rewardzone or all of rewardzone ? some one please explain??

[quote name='Enuf']http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Re...amers-Club-Changes-Coming-9-12-11/td-p/320180

^^^word of advice there will be offers sent ONLY to unlocked members(IE. the GS PS3 gc offer)if you wait till the last minute & try to join when a offer is leaked expect to be on the outside looking in. Just read the @gamer threads full of people who passed on the $10/yr sub or reg sub. now begging for a coupon scan.[/QUOTE]
Still not worth it. I've yet to see one incredible flip deal or free game from these coupons. GoW doesn't count because you still had to deal with pre-orders. Speaking of, flipping to BB is also worthless, since mine never carries the Amazon kindle GC and any net gain would be lost on their overpriced games.

I suspect the exclusive offers will be garbage.

Not too happy about the downgrade in points but at least in the magazines you can get games for the cheap to trade in either at bb or goozex

[quote name='Jodou']Still not worth it. I've yet to see one incredible flip deal or free game from these coupons. GoW doesn't count because you still had to deal with pre-orders. Speaking of, flipping to BB is also worthless, since mine never carries the Amazon kindle GC and any net gain would be lost on their overpriced games.

I suspect the exclusive offers will be garbage.[/QUOTE]

You must be crazy there have been some great flips with the coupons. I bought 2 copies of Dragon Age 2 and 2 copies of Shift 2 for $15 a piece and it paid off for Uncharted 3 and Assassin's Creed Revelations in full for me. So basically I paid $30 each for them. You just gotta do your homework.

I've been a little confused with these BB @gamer mag "deals" going on, and would be greatly thankful for some input.

I am a gamer club member, but do not have a subscription to the magazine. In other words, I didn't pay for any "premium" features. However, I'm interested in paying for the magazine subscription now in store. Is there a difference if I sign up now in store for the subscription, or should I wait until the new service kicks in on September 12?

Thanks.

[quote name='jiggyteddy']I've been a little confused with these BB @gamer mag "deals" going on, and would be greatly thankful for some input.

I am a gamer club member, but do not have a subscription to the magazine. In other words, I didn't pay for any "premium" features. However, I'm interested in paying for the magazine subscription now in store. Is there a difference if I sign up now in store for the subscription, or should I wait until the new service kicks in on September 12?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I think they'll just grandfather everyone in. Although unless you really want hunted, there's no reason not to wait till 9/12.

So I've been in a mad rush to get to 250 gz points cause of this. I hope I didn't misread and it's 500.

[quote name='boogie4114']You must be crazy there have been some great flips with the coupons. I bought 2 copies of Dragon Age 2 and 2 copies of Shift 2 for $15 a piece and it paid off for Uncharted 3 and Assassin's Creed Revelations in full for me. So basically I paid $30 each for them. You just gotta do your homework.[/QUOTE]
Then factor in tax, MSRP vs Amazon price & $10-$20 credits and you made: fuck all. If you're really going to work the margins, then the only viable flips are from BB to Amazon. Now if you're saying you bought Kindle cards, then it worked out for you for sure. I can't seem to find a single store with these fabled cards, so to hell with it.

[quote name='Jodou']Then factor in tax, MSRP vs Amazon price & $10-$20 credits and you made: fuck all. If you're really going to work the margins, then the only viable flips are from BB to Amazon. Now if you're saying you bought Kindle cards, then it worked out for you for sure. I can't seem to find a single store with these fabled cards, so to hell with it.[/QUOTE]

I traded those games at Gamestop. I didn't mention getting kindle cards or Amazon nowhere in that post.

I was $6 away from 500 bonus points, so I grabbed a 1600 MS points card to push it over the limit, and get the last bonus.

I'm really on the fence about going for the 'unlocked' program. I wonder if they'll continue to do the 500pt pre-order offers for just the unlocked or if they'll be for all RZGC members...

[quote name='slowdive21']^^I think I am $20 away, but the points start pending immediately (a day or two) don't they?[/QUOTE]
Yes, they do. I'm hoping to see that credit in the next week or two. :)

Anyone Do a pre-order & paid in full online ?
how did it show up in your reward points (gamer points )

How do you get the "unlocked" deal? I mean, if it comes with the magazine and it's been taking so long to get the magazine? I just wish there was somebody from BB that would figure it out and have it be X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back