Best Buy Reward Zone Gamers Club changing in September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Just got this email:

The game is changing. New benefits. New rewards.
It's a whole new way to play the game.

Reward Zone® Gamers Club is leveling up. On September 12, 2011,
you will begin earning double points on new game software, including
digital content and accessories purchases. Plus, for $14.99 per year,
you can join the optional paid level—Gamers Club Unlocked—where
you'll enjoy access to even greater benefits: REWARD ZONE GAMERS CLUB
• A free subscription to @Gamer, the exclusive gaming magazine

• 10% off all pre-owned software purchases

• 10% bonus credit on trade-in software

• Reward Zone Gamers Club exclusive offers
Between now and September 11, 2011, you will continue to earn 500 bonus points for every $150 you spend on video games, PC games and video game accessories at Best Buy® stores or BestBuy.com®.

Then on September 12, 2011, you'll automatically be part of the new Reward Zone Gamers Club. And you'll have the opportunity to visit a Best Buy store and 'level up' to Reward Zone Gamers Club Unlocked. And because you’ve been a loyal Gamers Club member, we want to give you a preview of the new club. So going back to June 1, 2011, you'll also earn double points on all new software and accessories purchases.

All this plus the Reward Zone points you earn every day for nearly all your Best Buy purchases, including gaming hardware. For the latest Reward Zone Gamers Club information, visit MyRZ.com.

I'm not sure if the doubling points thing actually benefits us. The way it's worded, it sounds like they'll be getting rid of the 500 bonus points for every $150 in game purchases. Which means double point purchases is actually a downgrade since we'll get 300 points instead of 500 points for every $150 spent.

The $15 a year thing is the same price as a @Gamer magazine subscription right now. Not sure if the 10% saved on trade ins and preowned games would be worth it enough.

[quote name='seanr1221']Yours says points adjustment in orange too?[/QUOTE]

^^Nope. They have the standard "? pending" in the points column. My gamers club are is unchanged (meaning it looks exactly the same as it did before I bought the games. I do not have any gamers club points pending on my account either even though, I only had to spend $20 (spent $30).

[quote name='thanossurfer']Not sure if this was asked, but do you have to call or subscribe to anything new to have our existing points doubled (from June)? Thanks[/QUOTE]nope, points should post w/i a few days after the program starts on the 12th.
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Re...amers-Club-Changes-Coming-9-12-11/td-p/320180

[quote name='BudzMcGee']This is going to sound weird, but if you used BB gift cards from trade ins to buy a visa gift card and then used that to buy games, would you still get points? I have to imagine it treats the visa gift cards like a regular credit card in the RZ system...[/QUOTE]correct but you need to keep track of the old cards for pm's, returns & exchanges or it could get messy.

Thanks Enuf for answering my Best Buys Gamers points question.

Program doesnt sound quite as good as the old one unfortunately.

Ugh, BBYs website and RWZ program calculations are so weird/stupid.

I did a mag subscription, demon forge and preorder and the website gave me 7 pending points. 5.80 for the magazine sub, 1.90 for the skyrim preorder... and 0.00 for the demon forge purchase. No RWZ certs used.

[quote name='thanossurfer']Program doesnt sound quite as good as the old one unfortunately.[/QUOTE]It's not as good not at all but I still stick with them though. The $15 I spent last yr has paid for 2 yrs of mags thanks to the free upgrade. The coupons have saved/made more me than $500 so far & the 1st hasn't even run out yet, with pm'ing I still get the lowest cost even paying tax + I keep the credits that come with the games, their TIV's & deals are consistantly the best(Deus Ex get's $40.60 & I can pm TRU next week for $35) plus the 10% unlocked will stack with whatever % deal their doing too. The only losses are not getting $10 for $150 spent but if the @gamer coupons keep coming like they are I'll make that $10 back anyways.

I think BB is fucking with me.

I had to spend $20 to get to my $150. I spent $9.99,9.99,and 8.99. Now it says I still need $1.

wtf?

Even if they round down it would be $26 (9,9,8).

[quote name='slowdive21']I think BB is fucking with me.

I had to spend $20 to get to my $150. I spent $9.99,9.99,and 8.99. Now it says I still need $1.

wtf?

Even if they round down it would be $26 (9,9,8).[/QUOTE]

I believe that clearance games don't actually count towards the gamer-bonus total, so check your receipt for the clearance item and deduct that from your total.

[quote name='slowdive21']I think BB is fucking with me.

wtf?

Even if they round down it would be $26 (9,9,8).[/QUOTE]

Looks like I'm in the 149/150 club too lol. What's weird is I don't know where the points came from as nothing from pending has finalized yet. Nier is the closest which I bought on the 15th.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']

This is going to sound weird, but if you used BB gift cards from trade ins to buy a visa gift card and then used that to buy games, would you still get points? I have to imagine it treats the visa gift cards like a regular credit card in the RZ system...[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking about this - due to the activation charge of $6 / $200 max I don't think this adds up if you're trying to use them just to get rz certs. Am I wrong? Seems like even with double points it'd be too slim a margin to be worth the hassle.

[quote name='handsomepete']I've been thinking about this - due to the activation charge of $6 / $200 max I don't think this adds up if you're trying to use them just to get rz certs. Am I wrong? Seems like even with double points it'd be too slim a margin to be worth the hassle.[/QUOTE]

It's still worth it before 9-12. U get 500 gc pts + 400 Rz pts. That's $18 value.

[quote name='cruzadel']It's still worth it before 9-12. U get 500 gc pts + 400 Rz pts. That's $18 value.[/QUOTE]
I just found out today that my Best Buy sells the VISA cards. I ended up getting two with credit for $411.90 total. What's great is that I can use these anywhere so I can use my Best Buy MasterCard for everything in store and get 2.5 points per dollar. With the new program, if I spend $400 in store with my card, I'll get at least 1400 points(almost $30 in certs) for that $11.90 in trade credit.

I bought one used (Two World 2, 360) game from a local BB and returned it within 10 seconds of purchasing it, since I opened the wrapper at the cashier's station and saw that they put a really sticky sticker (not meant to be removed !!) on the hub of the disc. Sorry, as a collector, I won't buy a single title used from a BB now.

It's bad enough Gamestops try to sell discs that looked like they have been ice skated on.

This whole @gamer mag and gamer club is a joke anyways. I bought Dragon Age 2 when they allowed me to use a coupon to purchase it at it's ON SALE price - then a few weeks later I tried another coupon on another on sale title and it was denied. The cashier apologized and told me it made no sense (which I didn't need to be told).

The day the HP Touchpads went on sale, I called another BB and asked if I could come over and buy one for $150 and they said they would start selling them at the new price 10am Sunday. I called back again and asked if I could come over and buy one full price and get the difference refunded on Sunday and they said no. 9:45 Sun, some idiot employee comes out and asks if the 5 of us were there for the Touchpad and of fucking course we are. He then tells us they are sold out. I quickly told him I called and they verified they had plenty and weren't selling them til tomorrow. I quickly stormed off and told them to go fuck themselves for wasting my time.

I have a friend that got ripped off on that Homefront headphone shortage...

The BB list of fuckups goes on and on...

Best Buy (aka Worst Purchase) is not consumer friendly or even gamer friendly at this point.

Oh, BTW BB, you can shove that crappy (bias) mag and the coupons you won't accept.

Well I got $24 left to spend to get that extra $10 and have until Sunday. Probably pick up a $20 and $10 PSN card before Sunday.

[quote name='drduranduran']Oh, BTW BB, you can shove that crappy (bias) mag and the coupons you won't accept.[/QUOTE]

You are using the word bias incorrectly, and your antics in Best Buy make you sound like a spoiled child.

Okay, it appears that I need $17 to hit $150. If I make another purchase between now and Sunday, will I still get the 500 bonus points, or do the points have to post before then?

Is it better to get a @gamer subscription now and get that voucher or wait until the 12th? Just wondering if there's any advantage to get a subscription now before the date?

[quote name='cheapgamerone']Is it better to get a @gamer subscription now and get that voucher or wait until the 12th? Just wondering if there's any advantage to get a subscription now before the date?[/QUOTE]

No advantage except u get an extra free mag + the Sept coupons.

[quote name='Ham Salad 360'] If I make another purchase between now and Sunday, will I still get the 500 bonus points, or do the points have to post before then?[/QUOTE]

this....

[quote name='Curufinwe']You are using the word bias incorrectly, and your antics in Best Buy make you sound like a spoiled child.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Damn, I'm also really wanting to take advantage of the great $10 for $150 Gamer's Club bonus one last time...I'm just trying to rack my brain on how I could spend a few hundred up there before the end of the week, to reap the bonus one more time. I wish consoles would count toward the old bonus, I'd probably just snag a couple of those!

I know the new Unlocked program is going to give double points on gaming purchases, but I think the math wiz' have already pointed out that it won't be as good.

It really was such a great deal if you knew how to use it correctly....definitely garnered me a few hundred dollars in free RZ certificates over the years, in addition to the normal RZ Silver points being earned.:D

I stopped using Best Buy for my game purchases when I realized that the couple extra bucks Amazon saves you, along with me not having to pay 10% sales tax (screw you Chicago!), is a little bit better than whatever percent you get back in reward zone points. Just the no sales tax alone is better I believe. But with these changes, I cannot justify shopping there anymore.

Anyways... I checked my Reward Zone status, and I am $4 Dollars away from the $10 reward certificate, plus I have a $5 reward certificate ready to cash out with. So... I'm guessing I should probably buy a $10 PSN or Wii card or something for $5 in order to get my $10 before Sunday. Makes sense, right? Then just use that to buy another $10 point card! Wonderful!

System currency cards count towards the gamer points, correct?

[quote name='Astro7x']I stopped using Best Buy for my game purchases when I realized that the couple extra bucks Amazon saves you, along with me not having to pay 10% sales tax (screw you Chicago!), is a little bit better than whatever percent you get back in reward zone points. Just the no sales tax alone is better I believe. But with these changes, I cannot justify shopping there anymore.

Anyways... I checked my Reward Zone status, and I am $4 Dollars away from the $10 reward certificate, plus I have a $5 reward certificate ready to cash out with. So... I'm guessing I should probably buy a $10 PSN or Wii card or something for $5 in order to get my $10 before Sunday. Makes sense, right? Then just use that to buy another $10 point card! Wonderful!

System currency cards count towards the gamer points, correct?[/QUOTE]

THey show up as GC points in my account. I would say yes. I don't know if they are suppose to or not but the points count towards my point total at least.

I feel you. I've stopped shopping there myself and boy it feels great. Only going to pick up my xbox with all my reward zone points and then i'm out. Unless I they give me free games with coupons or something as great as that. I'm also $2 from my mark. shame if I don't hit it. lol.

[quote name='sgaldis']It really was such a great deal if you knew how to use it correctly....[/QUOTE]

Why would you have to know how to use it correctly? You just spend $150.

[quote name='Astro7x']I stopped using Best Buy for my game purchases when I realized that the couple extra bucks Amazon saves you, along with me not having to pay 10% sales tax (screw you Chicago!), is a little bit better than whatever percent you get back in reward zone points. Just the no sales tax alone is better I believe. But with these changes, I cannot justify shopping there anymore.[/QUOTE]

Screw you Chicago for giving us roads to drive on, jobs to employ us, books we can read for free, schools where we can learn, etc....

P.S. It isn't truly tax free. You are suppose to claim it on your taxes come April. Granted like how people abuse return policies, other evade their taxes...

[quote name='lordopus99']Screw you Chicago for giving us roads to drive on, jobs to employ us, books we can read for free, schools where we can learn, etc....

P.S. It isn't truly tax free. You are suppose to claim it on your taxes come April. Granted like how people abuse return policies, other evade their taxes...[/QUOTE]and the only one of those things sales taxes pay for is the books. But your point is taken.

[quote name='lordopus99']Screw you Chicago for giving us roads to drive on, jobs to employ us, books we can read for free, schools where we can learn, etc....
[/QUOTE]
The aqueducts!

[quote name='Astro7x']System currency cards count towards the gamer points, correct?[/QUOTE]
They do. it's what's referred to as 'content' which is the same category as a game.

I do understand people who are frustrated with the system change coming up but I think it's worth noting that the the double RZ points on games is free. Sure you could break down the dollars and cents and per game you'd be saving more with AMZ but if you shop for other things at BB the points add up.

I see the Unlocked program changing in the first few months. Yeah 10% +TIV and 10% of used games is great but not having some sort of points awarded for trading in and/or buying used games is a missed opportunity. The mag is the best part of the deal considering one coupon could pay for your entire year membership. It's a risk but could pay off.

Also for anyone interested if you compare the free RZGC to free PUR at GS the numbers are kind of crazy.

RZGC - $125=$5 cert
PUR Free (new games) - $500=$5 off coupon
PUR Paid (new games) - $454=$5 off coupon
PUR Free (used games) - $250=$5 off coupon
PUR Paid (used games) - $227=$5 off coupon

5000points=$5 off new game coupon

One advantage to PUR is trading nets you points but if you have to trade in $250 of games to get an extra $5 trading in 1-2 games at BB with higher TIV could bridge that gap.

GS also seems to award points for purchases with store credit and gift cards which RZGC does not.

Killing the $150 for 500 points program has kind of killed my last reason to shop at Best Buy over Amazon. :cry:

I'm having trouble understanding this new program. So they are doing away with the 500 bonus points for spending $150, but are they keeping the $5 rewards for every $250 you spend, only you earn double points on all games and gaming accessories?

I can do without the subscription because I would only get the magazine for the coupons, not the "review and previews," so picking it up for $5 whenever it has coupons I'm interested in seems more valid than having a subscription and risking the opportunity that it "may" have coupons I can use. I'll stick with Amazon for most of my gaming purchases and wait for the price to drop on new releases instead of buying on day one. If only Amazon offered some sort of rewards program on games...

[quote name='EndersGamer']I'm having trouble understanding this new program. So they are doing away with the 500 bonus points for spending $150, but are they keeping the $5 rewards for every $250 you spend, only you earn double points on all games and gaming accessories?

I can do without the subscription because I would only get the magazine for the coupons, not the "review and previews," so picking it up for $5 whenever it has coupons I'm interested in seems more valid than having a subscription and risking the opportunity that it "may" have coupons I can use. I'll stick with Amazon for most of my gaming purchases and wait for the price to drop on new releases instead of buying on day one. If only Amazon offered some sort of rewards program on games...[/QUOTE]

You make some good points. the only way it blows up in your face is if there are more than 3 months withs coupons that you want to use. After that, you are out $5 a pop. I am still on the fence, but may go ahead and grab the subscription since I am buying less new release games. The coupons seem to usually work on older games so hopefully there willb e some for games I am holding off on.

I've been shopping at Best Buy so much more the last two months. Their trade in prices and deals are often significantly better than Gamestop or Amazon, plus they sell more than games (unlike gamestop) and with recent changes to Amazon's trade in program it seems far less likely to get the actual price you lock in (now that it isn't trade or no trade with a 2nd tier level of "acceptable" games they seem to be far more picky). I've already bought two @Gamer magazines this summer for coupons so screw it, might as well just get the subscription. The writing has gotten much better in recent issues (compared to when it first started). Looking forward to that extra 10% bonus for trade-ins too (which will apparently go on top of other bonuses, such as the current 40% one!).

While the $10 for every $150 was nice, and I really hope they start some way of giving points for trade-ins, I'm still content.

[quote name='drduranduran']I bought one used (Two World 2, 360) game from a local BB and returned it within 10 seconds of purchasing it, since I opened the wrapper at the cashier's station and saw that they put a really sticky sticker (not meant to be removed !!) on the hub of the disc. Sorry, as a collector, I won't buy a single title used from a BB now.

It's bad enough Gamestops try to sell discs that looked like they have been ice skated on.

This whole @gamer mag and gamer club is a joke anyways. I bought Dragon Age 2 when they allowed me to use a coupon to purchase it at it's ON SALE price - then a few weeks later I tried another coupon on another on sale title and it was denied. The cashier apologized and told me it made no sense (which I didn't need to be told).

The day the HP Touchpads went on sale, I called another BB and asked if I could come over and buy one for $150 and they said they would start selling them at the new price 10am Sunday. I called back again and asked if I could come over and buy one full price and get the difference refunded on Sunday and they said no. 9:45 Sun, some idiot employee comes out and asks if the 5 of us were there for the Touchpad and of fucking course we are. He then tells us they are sold out. I quickly told him I called and they verified they had plenty and weren't selling them til tomorrow. I quickly stormed off and told them to go fuck themselves for wasting my time.

Best Buy (aka Worst Purchase) is not consumer friendly or even gamer friendly at this point.

Oh, BTW BB, you can shove that crappy (bias) mag and the coupons you won't accept.[/QUOTE]

@Gamer coupons work with sales now, they have for what? 2 months? That employee was simply mistaken (and they tried to scan it and it didn't work than there was an error). I would of talked to a manager.

I've only bought one used game from BB, but it had no sticker on it. My guess is that someone traded in an old rental disc of some sort that had the sticker on it before hand (that is unless of course it said Best Buy than obviously I'm wrong, but assuming it didn't it may be a bit rash to assume BB did it).

As for the HP Touchpads, someone probably did the buy/price adjust thing with the stock they had left. Most likely someone who was smart enough to not ask the manager if it were okay if they gamed the system before hand.

Most deals tend to say limited quantities, if they ran out of headphones he simply should of not bought the game. If it were an online order and he was simply never sent the headphones he should of demanded a refund or returned the game.

Also, I recommend deal with the people at your gaming counter (if your store has one of course). These people are actually trained specifically for their department. There are still idiots from time to time, but the service and knowledge of the staff has shot up probably 500% since they introduced this new system.

[quote name='drduranduran']I bought one used (Two World 2, 360) game from a local BB and returned it within 10 seconds of purchasing it, since I opened the wrapper at the cashier's station and saw that they put a really sticky sticker (not meant to be removed !!) on the hub of the disc. Sorry, as a collector, I won't buy a single title used from a BB now.

Oh, BTW BB, you can shove that crappy (bias) mag and the coupons you won't accept.[/QUOTE]

@Gamer coupons work with sales now, they have for what? 2 months? That employee was simply mistaken (and they tried to scan it and it didn't work than there was an error). I would of talked to a manager.

I've only bought one used game from BB, but it had no sticker on it. My guess is that someone traded in an old rental disc of some sort that had the sticker on it before hand (that is unless of course it said Best Buy than obviously I'm wrong, but assuming it didn't it may be a bit rash to assume BB did it).

As for the HP Touchpads, someone probably did the buy/price adjust thing with the stock they had left. Most likely someone who was smart enough to not ask the manager if it were okay if they gamed the system before hand.

Most deals tend to say limited quantities, if they ran out of headphones he simply should of not bought the game. If it were an online order and he was simply never sent the headphones he should of demanded a refund or returned the game.

Also, I recommend deal with the people at your gaming counter (if your store has one of course). These people are actually trained specifically for their department. There are still idiots from time to time, but the service and knowledge of the staff has shot up probably 500% since they introduced this new system.

In most cases if you are going to get the best price on something you have to be smarter as the consumer than the people working at the stores. It helps if you can even outsmart the stores themselves and take full advantage of any deals that they didn't realize overlapped.

The GS PUR card more than pays itself off for me on a yearly basis, and I expect this new Best Buy card will do the same. Again, it's just taking the time to calculate your purchases. I know in the case of Best Buy and GS that I will make more than $150 in used purchases/trades a year...heck I sometimes do that in a month or two alone.

How do you know if you're part of the "Rewards Zone Gamer's Club Unlocked"? What I mean when I say that is, how does the cashier know if you subscribed to the magazine? Will it show up once you give them your Rewards Zone card? Only reason I ask is because I've read that some people have been getting cards in the mail saying they are part of the new "Unlocked" club.

I just got my Gamer Magazine after something like 3 months -_- Anyways, it came in a wrapper and inside was a paper.

Special offer for @Gamer subscribers. FREE Unlocked Membership. Bring the attached coupon into your local BB store starting Sept 12.

Hopefully it doesn't take months for the magazine to come to others like it did to me. Limit 1 coupon a person. Must be RZ Gamer Club member.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']How do you know if you're part of the "Rewards Zone Gamer's Club Unlocked"? What I mean when I say that is, how does the cashier know if you subscribed to the magazine? Will it show up once you give them your Rewards Zone card? Only reason I ask is because I've read that some people have been getting cards in the mail saying they are part of the new "Unlocked" club.[/QUOTE] that's probably your answer then. You get a new shiny card, that and I'm sure it will show up in the computer just as the current rz shows up on the computer and on your receipts.

Well the things that Best Buy is good for is their price matching. I mean, if you really want to get a good deal, a lot of stores use to offer instant gift cards with new releases like TRU. Best Buy will price match the instant gift card by deducting it from the price of the game (That's what it says in their price match policy!), plus you'd get the Gamer points and the reward zone points making it worth it.

The problem is that I'd have to fight with customer service to get them to do it usually...

[quote name='WV Matsui']Ok found I'm at $144 I need to spend $6 by when tomorrow COB? And if I hit $150 I get what?[/QUOTE]

The best explanation I can think of is the points that you earn get you $10 in rewards certificates to spend 35 days from now, then these points plus any other gaming purchases you've made since June 1 roll over onto the new program and you start earning double points for every gaming purchase you make from 9/12 and on.
Best Buy has to be holding something back because I have almost zero incentive to exclusively shop at Best Buy for my gaming needs. There has to be some sort of points accruel (sp?) that they are waiting to tell its members about on 9/12 because double points to earn $5 back is a really lame deal.

[quote name='EndersGamer']The best explanation I can think of is the points that you earn get you $10 in rewards certificates to spend 35 days from now, then these points plus any other gaming purchases you've made since June 1 roll over onto the new program and you start earning double points for every gaming purchase you make from 9/12 and on.
Best Buy has to be holding something back because I have almost zero incentive to exclusively shop at Best Buy for my gaming needs. There has to be some sort of points accruel (sp?) that they are waiting to tell its members about on 9/12 because double points to earn $5 back is a really lame deal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this!

So I have to spend $6 to earn a $10 cert?

Hmm well I have a $31 gc and I'm going to PM Deus Ex tomorrow so I should get my $6! Does tax count? I know GC don't!

[quote name='WV Matsui']Does tax count? I know GC don't![/QUOTE]
only counts pre-tax so no.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']How do you know if you're part of the "Rewards Zone Gamer's Club Unlocked"? What I mean when I say that is, how does the cashier know if you subscribed to the magazine? Will it show up once you give them your Rewards Zone card? Only reason I ask is because I've read that some people have been getting cards in the mail saying they are part of the new "Unlocked" club.[/QUOTE]
From what we've been told there will be a sticker to put on your RZ card. Problem is a lot of people forget or have lost their card but I'm assuming where we look up past purchases we can also look up if someone ever signed up for Unlocked. Not sure how a poor cashier will know though. Maybe they'll when we look up your RZ it will show RZGC Unlocked on the register much like Premier shows up and take 10% off if you're buying pre-owned games. This is being connected to your RZ membership like RZGC is to RZ.

Far as knowing if you're part of Unlocked if you has signed up for @gamer sub then they'll be sending you a coupon to sign up for Unlocked for a year for free. If you haven't, starting on the 12th there is a pamphlet that will be handed out with the UPC to sign-up so you'll have to go into a store least at the moment.

How do coupons work in a post sale price match?

Say I get Rise of Nightmares for 40.00 after coupon. Then it hits 30.00 at Best Buy a few weeks later. Am I SoL?

If I go tomorrow, will I still be able to get the $10 reward for hitting 150? For this week, Best Buy has a crap shoot of offers but for sunday I might want something else. I was thinking of getting Dead Island today and getting the Zoom for Kinect tomorrow. Will I be able to price match if Dead Island gets lower even though I get Zombieland for free also does the Zoom count for the $150?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back