Best Buy takes my game back for $.01 and tells me to like it

convergecrew

CAGiversary!
I just had this incredible (bad) experience with Best Buy involving hte B2G1 promotion. I am still fuming about the whole thing, and wondering if anyone can offer any insight or advice.

Here goes: I bought 3 copies of FIFA 10 to share with two other friends when they had the sale last week. I went in on it because I was thinking about playing online with those friends, but in the end I decided I didnt want the game and went to return it today.

So I brought the game back with my receipt, which states that each copy of the game was rung up 39.99 (totaling $131.xx including tax). I do the return normally, the girl at the counter says no problem, hands me my receipt, and as Im walking out I check it again, and notice something strange: I am ONLY credited $.01 on my credit card for the return.

So immediately I go back and point this out to her. She find it strange so she calls up a supervisor. The supervisor then goes on to explain to me that because the game is part of a promotion, the value of the 1 copy I return is only 1 cent. I point out to her that each copy of the game CLEARLY states on the reciept that it is being rung up as 39.99 each. She gives me the usual speech about promo this and that, how the return policy is different for promotions and bundles, etc. So I say fine, then give me back the game, and I will give you 1 cent. No dice.

I ask in my kindest possible words despite my temper about what I can do, and the supervisor tells me that I should either A. get the two copies of the games back from my friends so that I can return all 3 games together for the full price I paid (which is impossible since both friends would naturally play it), or B. Get reimbursed $25 dollars for each friend to make up for the $40 dollars that I just gave back to this store.

Needless to say I am incensed, especially after receiving this kind of advice from the retail store. I just returned a video game to the store for a return value of .01 cent. I talk to another supervisor, 2 online customer service people, and then finally the store manager. By then I am in the store for an hour or so, and they all give me the same speech about how returns are handled in promotions.

Now I dont have a problem with the store's return policy concerning these promos, because I know that they have to protect themselves from people who try to take advantage of the deal through returns. But I am incredibly peeved for 2 reasons: 1. the fact the the original purchase receipt clearly states that each game was paid $39.99 for, which would have the customer assume that that was the price for each copy, and 2. the fact that I was in no way warned about the fact that I would be returning my game for only 1 cent, and that I couldnt reverse the transaction (getting the game back). Which essentially leaves me with giving the store 39.99 (plus tax) for nothing. The store manager, who I parlayed with for a few minutes, even had the b***s to offer to resell me back the same copy of the game at $39.99, after essentially giving them 40 dollars of my money.

So I was wondering if anyone had a similar type of experience and wanted to see if anyone can give advice on what kind of recourse I can take. Im gonna try talking to customer service again tomorrow, but I dont expect anything to change. They gave me no warning whatsoever about what was going to happen despite the reciept indication something otherwise, and then give me advice about getting money back from my friends because I returned my game to their store. Geez, the more I think about this the more upset I get. Really makes me wonder if Amazon would ever treat their customers this way (highly doubt it).

Oh and another thing, I go and check my credit card statement and find out that what they are doing is essentially refunding me the cost of the 3 games under the B2G1 price (131.xx) and then RECHARGING my credit card for 2 copies of the game under Full Price (59.99 x 2=131.xx) MINUS the 1 cent refund they gave me today. Can they even do that?

Damn. The store manager should have the authority to override something like that. What an asshole. I'm sure complaining to corporate will get you your game (but not your $40) assuming you can get the right person on the phone.

I don't understand why you thought you could get your money back. Fifa 10 does not retail for $39.99, it retails for $59.99. Even if it shows up on the receipt that way, you know it is a B2G1 free deal, not $20 off 3 games. You bought 2 copies of a game, and got a 3rd copy free. They aren't gonna let you return the first two copies and get your money back and keep the 3rd(free) copy.

Why wouldn't you make sure you're getting the amount you wanted before okaying it to the cashier? Finding this out when you're walking out instead of before returning it is just plain dumb.

You should have exchanged it for another game or sold it online. I exchanged my game there because they didn't have a game I wanted when the B1G1 50% off sale was and it worked out without a problem.

[quote name='myl0r']I don't understand why you thought you could get your money back. Fifa 10 does not retail for $39.99, it retails for $59.99. Even if it shows up on the receipt that way, you know it is a B2G1 free deal, not $20 off 3 games. You bought 2 copies of a game, and got a 3rd copy free. They aren't gonna let you return the first two copies and get your money back and keep the 3rd(free) copy.[/QUOTE]

Exactly this. Otherwise all the,umm, "questionable" people would be returning all kinds of games. It does suck for you, but the return policy should've been clearly posted.

Wait. I am a little bit confused on some of the numbers here.

So I have question. You did the B2G1 free, but your total came out to $131.xx for 3 games that were $39.99 each. Did you mean that each game was $59.99 and you were only charged for the two that came out to $131.xx and the receipt says that each one came out to be $39.99? Because that would just be confusing since the way the promotion works is that the middle game is always the one that becomes free, so if you had 3 games at $39.99, I am not even sure how that worked out then. Does the price of each of the game on the original receipt say $39.99 right next to it? Or does it show two $59.99 games and one game free, then somewhere else on the receipt just mentions you got each game for $39.99 for some odd reason. I just don't really understand how all this worked out in the explanation you gave in the op. 3 games @ $39.99 with B2G1 does not come out to $131.xx since you're getting one of them free. And if it turns out that each game was $59.99 and you were trying to get your money back for the one, then obviously that isn't going to work since its a B2G1 promotion, not a B2G1 then return one to make it B1G1. But I still need you to be more clear what you are trying to say cause its quite confusing.

[quote name='myl0r']I don't understand why you thought you could get your money back. Fifa 10 does not retail for $39.99, it retails for $59.99. Even if it shows up on the receipt that way, you know it is a B2G1 free deal, not $20 off 3 games. You bought 2 copies of a game, and got a 3rd copy free. They aren't gonna let you return the first two copies and get your money back and keep the 3rd(free) copy.[/QUOTE]

I think his point is that it states on the receipt 39.99, and then he asked if he could return it, and the cashier said sure without warning him that the return value would go down to .01. The cashier should have warned him before hand or the manager should have overridden the transaction and gave him the game back.

I don't see what your upset about whether you intended to or not you were expecting to rip them off and get back money on a game you got for free. These are the exact kinds of situations that make retailers reconsider offering deals such as this as someone is always trying to take advantage. Regardless of how your receipt looks you bought the games full well knowing that you if bought 2 one was free. You want your money back return all 3 simple enough concept to understand.

Why do people constantly try to do shady ass shit then come on here and bitch when it blows up on them? You knew damn well that it was a b2g1 promo when you bought all 3 games. Why on earth would you expect to get any type of money back from a free game? The fact they gave you 1 cent is more than you deserve.

What should have happened is the return should have been refused in the first place.

Based on the credit card info the OP mentioned, the cashier seemed to have worked around the system and caused this penny return issue to happen.

Yea, there's no problem with whta they did perse...but they should have explained that you would receive $0.01 back, and not $40.

If they gave you $40, then they sold two copies for $40 a piece, which was NOT the deal they were offering. They should have warned you, and the manager should have overturned the transaction. I'd be pissed. I'd call corporate...

[quote name='gareman']I think his point is that it states on the receipt 39.99, and then he asked if he could return it, and the cashier said sure without warning him that the return value would go down to .01. The cashier should have warned him before hand or the manager should have overridden the transaction and gave him the game back.[/QUOTE]

This is how I read it too - the OP thought he could get 1/3 the value of the transaction back ($40) since the receipt labeled each game at $40. Obviously B2G1 deals don't work this way but whatever - I think OP is mad that the cashier didn't warn him that he was only getting $0.01 back on the return (which you really can't expect the cashier to notice or care about but it would jump out as odd). I think the OP is pissed because he would rather have FIFA10 than a penny and the BB manager refused to reverse the return which I think is understandable. If the receipt rang up the three games as $60, $60, FREE then I don't think the OP would have anything to complain about.

To me if receipt says $39.99 each then that's what you paid and that's what you should be refunded. I would chargeback the whole purchase and never shop there again. You could also do a small claims and get your $40 back that way. imho you shouldn't just take the ass raping by BB.

Does the reciept mention any B1G1 promotion? Any chance you can scan the reciept?

Personally I am not sure I buy your whole story about "frends" and your reason to return. It's just as likely you were trying to pocket money and thought you were slick. You could of sold the other two copies and thought returning for $40 was profitable.

However either way this shouldn't effect the fact of the reciept. I am surprised the manager didn't just sell you the game for the penny and be done with you.

[quote name='javeryh']This is how I read it too - the OP thought he could get 1/3 the value of the transaction back ($40) since the receipt labeled each game at $40. Obviously B2G1 deals don't work this way but whatever - I think OP is mad that the cashier didn't warn him that he was only getting $0.01 back on the return (which you really can't expect the cashier to notice or care about but it would jump out as odd). I think the OP is pissed because he would rather have FIFA10 than a penny and the BB manager refused to reverse the return which I think is understandable. If the receipt rang up the three games as $60, $60, FREE then I don't think the OP would have anything to complain about.[/QUOTE]

I think this sums it all up perfectly.

OP, why not just go back and return the other two games? Yeah, you miss the deal (and so do your friends), but my friends would rather I get my money back.

Otherwise, I think you have to bite the bullet.

[quote name='gareman']I think his point is that it states on the receipt 39.99, and then he asked if he could return it, and the cashier said sure without warning him that the return value would go down to .01. The cashier should have warned him before hand or the manager should have overridden the transaction and gave him the game back.[/QUOTE]

The OP even said the cashier was surprised when he pointed it out to them. The cashier obviously didn't notice it was only a penny.

Aye during these Buy whatever get whatever sales you gotta be careful, I was exchanging some games at Gamestop after a B2G1 and one was going to be a penny, they had no intentions of telling me that it was going to be refunded as a penny. I'm just glad I noticed that it was the one I ended up getting for free. I just took it back and sold it online.

Not the stores fault though was mine

OP. Post your receipt.

I bought several $59.99 games from this sale and they all rang up $59.99, with one ringing up $0.00. The same is true for the $29.99 games I bought as well. They show $29, 29, 0 on the receipt.

I don't know what you expected. The real mistake was the way they laid out their receipt. The first game returned is always the free one or why wouldn't everyone else return one or more of the games and get a cheaper/free game? You had to know that they weren't going to give you $40 for a free game.

EDIT: I read the rest and the way they handled it wasn't great, they should have given you the option to just take your game back and forget the refund. But yes, the way they recharged you is correct since that's essentially what you're doing. You're buying two full price games and getting nothing free.

I would try to get that game back and exchange it for something new. That's probably your best chance of getting anything back.

OP, that sucks.

On the opposite side of the spectrum:
I got $60 for a return on the same B2G1 deal. I chalk it up to rushing the girl (sex MAY have had something to do with it) through the transaction. So I basically got B1G1 to your B2GF'dintheA'hole.

Hmmm, if the receipt looks like that, it's an unfortunate error that they to need to fix. But common sense should tell you that, if you get in on a B2G1 deal, or any kind of similar offering, you aren't gonna get $60 or $40 or whatever for trying to return one game. As everyone else pointed out, this is to stop people from ripping the store off. Even if the games did show up as $40 a piece on the receipt, the reason they did so was because of the deal. You have to buy three to get the deal. It's the same thing as when you buy a game that comes with a store gift card. You can't return the game, get $60, and keep the giftcard. You need to return the game and the giftcard. In this case, you need to return all three games to get your money back.

It seems like both parties here are trying to cheat one another, but you can still file a complaint with the BBB based on what they did to you.

Wow OP you let them work you like a cheap hooker! You should have just returned it without the receipt and told them you got it as a gift and gotten a $60 gift card back and bought something else.

If it makes you fell any better, I would have been more than happy to give you a whole $1 for FIFA 10, instead of the worthless penny you got from BB, that way you could have at least gotten 2 fresh apple pies from your local McDonald's.

Best Buy is just trying to watch their own asses because people take advantage of the B2G1 promotions often, giving you a gift card and keeping a sealed game they will likely sell isn't a loss at all though it's just a nice little everyone wins scenario.

[quote name='Sigma']Wow OP you let them work you like a cheap hooker! You should have just returned it without the receipt and told them you got it as a gift and gotten a $60 gift card back and bought something else.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't this be considered return fraud ... I can't tell because you are returning it to the correct store and it would just be as if the game was a place holder or something.

I only bring this up because I know 400 people will question this after me

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']
On the opposite side of the spectrum:
I got $60 for a return on the same B2G1 deal. I chalk it up to rushing the girl (sex MAY have had something to do with it) through the transaction. So I basically got B1G1 to your B2GF'dintheA'hole.[/QUOTE]

Hold the phone, OP, we got a better story here!! So you were having sex with the cashier and were rushing her, what were the other customers in line getting impatient??? :)

It's not their fault. You took advantage of a sale and wanted to return the lowest priced game (aka the free 1) for the regular or sale price and that isn't happening. If you wanted to get credited back you'd have to return them all and forfeit the b2g1 free promotion. That is why I tell people to choose different games and have them scan the 1 free game to be the game you'll definately keep so you don't end up in a situation like that in which you are in.

[quote name='keithp']Hold the phone, OP, we got a better story here!! So you were having sex with the cashier and were rushing her, what were the other customers in line getting impatient??? :)[/QUOTE]

I think the OP should have just gone to the New Games section and picked up another copy of Fifa 10 and then run out. There's usually a guy like Big Mike (from Chuck at the Buy More) at the door, so you might have to kick him in the nads to get by him.

If it's a girl at the door, you WILL need to have sex with her in order for her to let you pass. Now if she's as large as Big Mike, well, who said there ever was such a thing as a "free" game. You probably could charged her $100 for your services.

[quote name='strikeratt']Wouldn't this be considered return fraud ... I can't tell because you are returning it to the correct store and it would just be as if the game was a place holder or something.

I only bring this up because I know 400 people will question this after me[/QUOTE]
You would be correct, but it typically works rather easily and like I said before, BB wouldn't be losing anything out of it either.

[quote name='keithp']Hold the phone, OP, we got a better story here!! So you were having sex with the cashier and were rushing her, what were the other customers in line getting impatient??? [/QUOTE]
Ah, not sex with her, just her biological sex, female. She didn't question me once or anything like that, when she questioned herself, I told her I was on my lunch break and had to go. I gave her a wink, clicked my heels and went on my merry way.

I think the OP should scan his receipt and show us all what it looks like.

If the games are showing as being rung out at $60 / $60 / $0, he has no leg to stand on.

If the games are showing $40 / $40 / $40, it's not unreasonable to assume you'd be getting that back as a return value on one item being returned.

I do think there's something funny going on with this, though I'm not sure if it's with the OP or with BB. The receipt should shed some light on things.

"Image used to be here, but had NSFW popups - just pretend you are seeing a BB online pickup receipt with 3 items at 39.99 each"

Sorry, this is the first time I am multi-quoting, so forgive me if its a little messy. Here is a scan of the reciept--hope this clears up some of the confusion, and why I thought that each game would have a return value of $39.99. (this is a pretty new release, so the original price is $59.99.)

[quote name='Squarehard']Wait. I am a little bit confused on some of the numbers here.

So I have question. You did the B2G1 free, but your total came out to $131.xx for 3 games that were $39.99 each. Did you mean that each game was $59.99 and you were only charged for the two that came out to $131.xx and the receipt says that each one came out to be $39.99? Because that would just be confusing since the way the promotion works is that the middle game is always the one that becomes free, so if you had 3 games at $39.99, I am not even sure how that worked out then. Does the price of each of the game on the original receipt say $39.99 right next to it? Or does it show two $59.99 games and one game free, then somewhere else on the receipt just mentions you got each game for $39.99 for some odd reason. I just don't really understand how all this worked out in the explanation you gave in the op. 3 games @ $39.99 with B2G1 does not come out to $131.xx since you're getting one of them free. And if it turns out that each game was $59.99 and you were trying to get your money back for the one, then obviously that isn't going to work since its a B2G1 promotion, not a B2G1 then return one to make it B1G1. But I still need you to be more clear what you are trying to say cause its quite confusing.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rusty']Yea, there's no problem with whta they did perse...but they should have explained that you would receive $0.01 back, and not $40.

If they gave you $40, then they sold two copies for $40 a piece, which was NOT the deal they were offering. They should have warned you, and the manager should have overturned the transaction. I'd be pissed. I'd call corporate...[/QUOTE]

This is basically what I have a problem with--and the fact that the manager said that he can do an override which is to re-sell me the game for 39.99 after I returned it--but not do an override which gives me back the game for the .01 that I just returned it for.

[quote name='javeryh']This is how I read it too - the OP thought he could get 1/3 the value of the transaction back ($40) since the receipt labeled each game at $40. Obviously B2G1 deals don't work this way but whatever - I think OP is mad that the cashier didn't warn him that he was only getting $0.01 back on the return (which you really can't expect the cashier to notice or care about but it would jump out as odd). I think the OP is pissed because he would rather have FIFA10 than a penny and the BB manager refused to reverse the return which I think is understandable. If the receipt rang up the three games as $60, $60, FREE then I don't think the OP would have anything to complain about.[/QUOTE]

Well summarized, I mentioned it to the the manager as well, and he told me that Best Buy has the right to deal with returns and refund money how they see fit, NO MATTER what the original reciept indicates. I thought that what is indicated on a receipt was what the product was worth in case a return is necessary.

[quote name='defender']To me if receipt says $39.99 each then that's what you paid and that's what you should be refunded. I would chargeback the whole purchase and never shop there again. You could also do a small claims and get your $40 back that way. imho you shouldn't just take the ass raping by BB.

Does the reciept mention any B1G1 promotion? Any chance you can scan the reciept?

Personally I am not sure I buy your whole story about "frends" and your reason to return. It's just as likely you were trying to pocket money and thought you were slick. You could of sold the other two copies and thought returning for $40 was profitable.

However either way this shouldn't effect the fact of the reciept. I am surprised the manager didn't just sell you the game for the penny and be done with you.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, but if I was just trying to make a profit the games I would have just sold all 3 copies, not and not tried to return mine to the store. The game is new enough so that it probably would have sold easily. This is not some kind of admission, because the "friend" situation is actually true.

[quote name='mtxbass1']OP. Post your receipt.

I bought several $59.99 games from this sale and they all rang up $59.99, with one ringing up $0.00. The same is true for the $29.99 games I bought as well. They show $29, 29, 0 on the receipt.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lionheart4life']I don't know what you expected. The real mistake was the way they laid out their receipt. The first game returned is always the free one or why wouldn't everyone else return one or more of the games and get a cheaper/free game? You had to know that they weren't going to give you $40 for a free game.

EDIT: I read the rest and the way they handled it wasn't great, they should have given you the option to just take your game back and forget the refund. But yes, the way they recharged you is correct since that's essentially what you're doing. You're buying two full price games and getting nothing free.[/QUOTE]

Again, yes, I have no problem with their return policy in that they wont give me back $40 for a free game. If the receipt was laid out as $59, $59, $0, I wouldnt expect that I would be refunded $59 for the 1 copy I return. But as it was the recept states $39, $39, $39.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow OP, you got fucked something fierce. Man I wouldn't have even left the store the first time. I might have even had to snatch that shit back and throw a penny in the face of the supervisor/manager.

However, despite your statement that you understand the store needs to watch fo the rampant fraud or attempted fraud/shennagans involved in these types of promotions, you were basically still trying to do the same thing - turning a B2G1 into a Buy-2-at-a-33%-discount. But man, did you get screwed. Why didn't you look at the total on the screen for the refund before signing the receipt? Seriously, you messed up right there.

Dispute the charge on your credit card. For documentation show them both receipts when you fill out the forms

I only scanned the top half of the receipt, since the bottom half is just the standard disclaimer info. If anyone wants to see this I can scan it too.

PS. thanks for the humor guys, I am trying to see the funny side of it too :) I dont actually mind taking the $40 hit for my friends since its not a huge sum money, but I do feel that BB are wrong in the way they indicated how each product breaks down, and how they wouldn't reverse the return that I had just done.

Sure, your receipt showed you this, but I think you just got shocked when you saw you might get something for nothing and pissed that it didn't work out for you. I would expect the returns department of Best Buy to be very nasty for the next week or two due to the glitch last week.

You need to take a breath and then realize you were not going to get that type of credit out of the store.

ah so seeing that it was an online order picked up in store it makes sense. i worked in CC before and the receipts came out similarly. basically since you returned one copy in the order, it nullified the B2G1 free deal and made the other two return to full price. although since this is an online order, if it is the same as CC was, the computer wouldn't do this automatically and the cashier would have to manually return all 3 and then sell 2 again (since the online system doesn't ring it up as part of a deal).

basically they had a right to just return a penny, but what is extremely fuckd up is that the cashier didn't tell you this when they did the refund, and the manager didn't just undo the return (by adjusting the prices of the copies to $40 again). either you get screwed for the cashier being stupid and not paying attention to what they were returning, or you got screwed since the manager didn't feel like helping you out.

[quote name='karkyco']

Why didn't you look at the total on the screen for the refund before signing the receipt? Seriously, you messed up right there.[/QUOTE]

There was no indication on the screen, as far as I remember, and they didnt need me to sign a receipt. The lady just handed it to me.

Really, from now on I think I will ask to make sure before I return anything (what I learned from this). But somehow, I have the feeling that the end result would have been the same. The product probably would have scanned at 59.99 (retail price) and the girl would have looked at the receipt and said that I would get 39.99 (unless she had dealt with returns using the B2G1 deal, in which case she probably would have warned me about the return value of 1 game). But the actual return would have been the same and the manager would refuse a return reversal.

[quote name='convergecrew']There was no indication on the screen, as far as I remember, and they didnt need me to sign a receipt. The lady just handed it to me.

Really, from now on I think I will ask to make sure before I return anything (what I learned from this). But somehow, I have the feeling that the end result would have been the same. The product probably would have scanned at 59.99 (retail price) and the girl would have looked at the receipt and said that I would get 39.99 (unless she had dealt with returns using the B2G1 deal, in which case she probably would have warned me about the return value of 1 game). But the actual return would have been the same and the manager would refuse a return reversal.[/QUOTE]

If you did not sign anything you never agreed to the exchange and they essentially defrauded, or I'd even say, stole from you. The receipt clearly says 39.99 and any reasonable person would expect to get that back for the transaction. I would contact Best Buy corporate. Personally I would have never left without the game if I never signed anything.

I think you may not be remembering the exchange though exactly as it happened-I've never done a return where I didn't have to sign something.

Also, if you didn't sign anything and they recharged your credit card differently I would argue you never authorized that transaction and I'd probably contact your CC company if Best Buy corporate doesn't change their tune.

i think the clerk that rang up your purchase made a mistake. it should read $59.99 + $59.99 + $0.01 right!

argue that man.

tell them that your 3rd game was free. but since you payed $40 for the 3rd game this is what you should get back.

the receipt says this they can't say no. FIGHT on brotha. tell them you have spoken to BBB and they said either get your game back or get $40 now.

[quote name='ktims777']Why do people constantly try to do shady ass shit then come on here and bitch when it blows up on them? You knew damn well that it was a b2g1 promo when you bought all 3 games. Why on earth would you expect to get any type of money back from a free game? The fact they gave you 1 cent is more than you deserve.[/QUOTE]

Shut up you corporate shill.

Since they just recharged your credit card I would just call me CC Company and tell them not to pay it. You ok'd the return (which you really should have saw before you signed) but you did not ok them to "recharge" your credit card.So, call and tell them not to pay it.

[quote name='porieux']If all else fails, walk into the store, grab a copy of the game, and walk out with it.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget about throwing a penny in the air as you're leaving.

Just a heads up on the receipt post.
It's hosted by some website that has some definite NSFW pop ups. Very uncool.

bread's done
Back