Best Buy Trade-in 4.0 - see new thread (5.0)!

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
At nearly 300 pages it was time for a new thread. You can view the previous thread here!

THIS THREAD OP IS NO LONGER ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH NEW PROMOS.

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!

Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers, and it definitely does stack despite what some employees will say.

Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

General video game promotions link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page (Promotions are listed at the bottom of the page)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE & VALUE ESTIMATOR

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades may be done in the Gaming Dept or at customer service depending on the store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the **% bonus TIV work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150.

How does the 10% Gamers Club Unlocked bonus work?
The 10% bonus for Gamers Club Unlocked members is calculated from the base trade in value. So in the above example, a $100 trade would get an extra $10 with the GCU membership bonus. So if there was a 50% trade in bonus it would be $100 base, $10 Gamers Club Unlocked bonus and $50 TIV bonus for a grand total of $160.

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership. It cost $15 and comes with a year subscription of @Gamer magazine (which typically has a couple of great coupons every month). It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your Reward Zone membership.

I didn't get my 10% bonus or the employee said it doesn't stack, what gives?
As of September 2012 the trade in system at Best Buy was updated, and employees seem to be having a hard time making sure that they add the GCU bonus. It should be added immediately after they scan your games, and before they take your personal information. You also should always try to know your full trade in value with bonuses before going to the store so that if the price is different you can identify it immediately. The 10% bonus definitely does stack with any TIV promo (100%, 50%, it doesn't matter). All the Gamers Club Unlocked pamphlets say so, as does the website, and are a great place to point to if an employee or a manager tells you otherwise.

Do we get Reward Zone points for trade-ins??
Yes. You get one point for every pre-bonus dollar traded in. So if your TIV was $100 before bonuses, you get 100 Reward Zone points. Gamers Club Unlocked members (and possibly standard Gamers Club members) get double points for everything gaming, including trade-ins. So in the same example you would wind up with 200 Reward Zone points. To get Reward Zone points you must have them include your Reward Zone membership information (easiest to look up by phone number) with your trade-in (this is required for the Gamers Club Unlocked bonus anyway).

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. Some states, or even localities (county, city, etc.) may not allow the sale of Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone/Android app is way off, why?
The app often sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it if you don't have to.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case (as in, it is possible that has never been the case). When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

How come the GOTY/complete version doesn't show up in the estimator?
Best Buy doesn't differentiate between the vanilla and GOTY/complete versions of a game 99% of the time. This is largely a cover-all policy due to the fact that many GOTY editions include the game's DLC and bonus content as one-time use codes; meaning that the game has no extra value on the 2nd hand market and honestly, Best Buy probably doesn't trust their employees to make sure all the extra content is included. So no extra TIV for your GOTY games. The plus side is that GOTY and vanilla versions sell at the same price, so if the DLC is located on disc and you find a GOTY version in-store it will be the same price as the vanilla one.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but updates can and do happen at any time. Sometimes an update will happen at an atypical time, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as).

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Lately some people have been told the policy is 1 game per system (i.e. you could trade in 1 copy of a game for Xbox, 1 for PS3 and 1 for Wii), and have been actively turned down when trading in more than one copy. Whether this is actually something they are banning for or if it is just what employees are being told to follow to limit multiples is unknown. Trade multiples at your own risk.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually. Yes, this also applies to DS, 3DS, PSP, etc. If you have the manual and artwork you should trade it in though anyway to improve the quality of the selection for people who may want to buy the game in the future (you can't know if the game will be complete when you buy online for example).

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only. Employees have gotten much better about knowing this policy though, and busier stores are more likely to have employees that have done more trade ins and know the rules.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but some stores apparently accept consoles as well. Call ahead before bringing it in. That said, the TIV for most hardware is lower than competitors.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or even city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll need a government issued ID (passport, drivers license, military ID, etc.).

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return. You might even be flat out denied by the employee or manager despite the official rule. It is their right to do so.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracked on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

Remember, all trades are technically at the discretion of Best Buy and they can refuse to accept a game for whatever reason they want (outside of you being black, woman, Jewish, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JohnWayne']So this isn't related to this but I just got an email saying I had a $5 RZ cert. issued to me but the thing is that I never issued anything and 250 points from my RZ account are gone. Has this ever happened to someone? I'm getting reallllyyy sketched out as the reward zone customer service reps are closed right now[/QUOTE]

Never mind ignore this. I'm missing like 8 points from my pending points only and just had a random $5 RZ certificate issued to me seriously out of no where.

[quote name='JohnWayne']Never mind ignore this. I'm missing like 8 points from my pending points only and just had a random $5 RZ certificate issued to me seriously out of no where.[/QUOTE]

Did yoy you re up on your Gamer Unlocked recently? They were running a promo for 250 points when you signed up for another year of the Gamer Unlocked program, so that might be it. I know I just recently got the 250 bonus points for doing just that.

OT but BB advertised this week a $5 gift card minimum for small device trade in's even if its broken? Does anyone know if you can bring in really old cell phones because I have some and I wouldn't mind getting rid of them for $5 credit each. I also have a digital camera I would like to unload, that actually works but is really old. Basically has anyone tried to get anything out of this promo?

[quote name='Kylearan']All this talk of banning - doesn't sound like there's any definitive criteria why/how it happens, is there?

Too many copies of the same game? Too many games in general? What the heck qualifies as too much?

I just unloaded a bunch of stuff at BB - there was one duplicate across a month, with about 25 games traded in that time frame. (Good way to reduce the backlog? Be realistic - at least for a moment.)

Nothing to do but wait until I have something worthy of trading in.[/QUOTE]

I posted this in the previous thread, but I have a suspicion that trading back in the sale games you bought from them - whether it's one of the coupon games or a Deal of the Day or whatever - puts a flag on your account, if not an instant ban. Best Buy only does two or three bans a year, so if you were banned, you would not even find out for several months.

Best buy is not gonna ban you for trading a game in that you bought with a coupon or on sale.

They will ban you for being an asshole and trading in 6 copies of that same game though.

I pre-ordered and bought RE6 from Best Buy last week. Unfortunately after beating the game, I've realized it has no replay value whatsoever. I can trade it in for $38 with GCU which would technically get me more than what I payed for it. I PM'd Frys.com for $48.99 and got the $20 reward zone points. My question is, if I trade in RE6, will they take away my preorder bonus of $20/1000 Reward Zone points?

If they do, I can just trade it in somewhere else for $35 cash.

[quote name='xFate']I pre-ordered and bought RE6 from Best Buy last week. Unfortunately after beating the game, I've realized it has no replay value whatsoever. I can trade it in for $38 with GCU which would technically get me more than what I payed for it. I PM'd Frys.com for $48.99 and got the $20 reward zone points. My question is, if I trade in RE6, will they take away my preorder bonus of $20/1000 Reward Zone points?

If they do, I can just trade it in somewhere else for $35 cash.[/QUOTE]
They won't take it away.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I wish on threads such as this it were possible to make it so that any time someone went to reply the OP would be clearly shown above the message box or something.[/QUOTE]

That would be a pretty good idea, and even then I bet they would still skip it.

[quote name='YBX87']the only wait to prevent deals being copied to sd/fw, is to set a requirement for only allowing members with certain amount of posts / status to be able to view certain thread. which i doubt would happen or be fair[/QUOTE]

We should start associating stores with tiers, the better the deals are the more posts you need before you can see them.

100 posts - Tier 3 stores
250 posts - Tier 2 Stores
500 posts - Tier 1 stores

Whaddaya say guys? Lets make it happen.

Naaaah. I keed, I keed. ;)

[quote name='SaraAB']OT but BB advertised this week a $5 gift card minimum for small device trade in's even if its broken? Does anyone know if you can bring in really old cell phones because I have some and I wouldn't mind getting rid of them for $5 credit each. I also have a digital camera I would like to unload, that actually works but is really old. Basically has anyone tried to get anything out of this promo?[/QUOTE]
If this is true, then I'm going to hit up all of my local thrift stores for their $1 old ass cell phones and buy a couple at a clip.;)

Link for the deal $5 @ BB for trading in old electronics? Saw the ad that stated $5 for upgrade and save DVD to BLU when asking about phone upgrade eligibility, which sounds like a free $5 but really is just a $5 off coupon towards the $9.99+ priced BLU disc.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If this is true, then I'm going to hit up all of my local thrift stores for their $1 old ass cell phones and buy a couple at a clip.;)[/QUOTE]

Buddy you read my mind lmao

The way I understood it when I took a look was that it has to be something they would take for trade normally. So essentially, if you had something they would only give $1 for, you can get $5 instead sort of thing. If they don't normally take it, they aren't going to take it now. Again, this was how I read it when I looked at the page.

Does anyone know where in the store the Amazon Kindle cards are located, I gotta do something with the $750 in bb gc I have compiled in the last couple weeks.

[quote name='parkerwilson']Does anyone know where in the store the Amazon Kindle cards are located, I gotta do something with the $750 in bb gc I have compiled in the last couple weeks.[/QUOTE]

In the computer department in the section where Kindles and accessories are located.

[quote name='mark_IV']In the computer department in the section where Kindles and accessories are located.[/QUOTE] Thanks looked today but was in a hurry

I think I'm going to see if I can go for the long shot deal with BB tomorrow and try trading in my 60gb PS3 and see if my local store will actually match the full GS promo since I'm finally SO fucking L at GS completely.

Here's hoping they're as willing to PM the promo and promo bump as they are to PM Amazon's prices.

Just in case anyone was looking to trade in black ops the tiv just jumped to $17 so you can actually get $27.20 for it if your an unlocked gamer. This is a better deal than when they had the 100% bonus.

[quote name='Timenice']Any one know how many trades in on the same game you can do at best buy[/QUOTE]

from the OP.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Lately some people have been told the policy is 1 game per system (i.e. you could trade in 1 copy of a game for Xbox, 1 for PS3 and 1 for Wii), and have been actively turned down when trading in more than one copy. Whether this is actually something they are banning for or if it is just what employees are being told to follow to limit multiples is unknown. Trade multiples at your own risk.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think I'm going to see if I can go for the long shot deal with BB tomorrow and try trading in my 60gb PS3 and see if my local store will actually match the full GS promo since I'm finally SO fucking L at GS completely.

Here's hoping they're as willing to PM the promo and promo bump as they are to PM Amazon's prices.[/QUOTE]
From your posts, it seems you are banned from conducting any kind of business at Gamestop, not just trade-ins. Is it legal for them to ban you outright like that? Even if Gamestop is a private business, I doubt the store managers can approve that alone. And what in the world did you do to make them blacklist you? Surely the HDMI cables business wouldn't have been enough.

[quote name='Fukurou']From your posts, it seems you are banned from conducting any kind of business at Gamestop, not just trade-ins. Is it legal for them to ban you outright like that? Even if Gamestop is a private business, I doubt the store managers can approve that alone. And what in the world did you do to make them blacklist you? Surely the HDMI cables business wouldn't have been enough.[/QUOTE]
Any business is considered private property and they can bar you from coming on the property if they so choose.

As for my other activities, they included trading in multiples of some games(w/ managers permission), cancelling pre-orders, allegedly stealing a Dual Shock 3 and a ton of negative surveys I did from all of the receipts I had from all of the business I transacted there.

Albeit I believe the surveys were AFTER my ban.

I have an extra copy of SKyrim that my cousin left over at my house. He said i could keep it so i wanted to trade it in while its still worth something. It seems BBY is probably the best place to trade in right now with the 50% trade in bonus thats going on. I guess i would get $30 for trading it in? Is that right?

THe main concern though is whether i can trade it in WITHOUT the case and manual. Since he left just the game, i dont want to trade in my case. The faq in the front says that shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone know if thats the case, or have a policy i can point to if i get any problems? The people in my gaming department are friggin retards since all the competent people left/transfered. They have trouble even just doing pre-orders or renewing a @gamer subscription so im assuming the trade in will be a nightmare. I want to have something to point to if theres any problems

^_^x KD

[quote name='Kenshindono']I have an extra copy of SKyrim that my cousin left over at my house. He said i could keep it so i wanted to trade it in while its still worth something. It seems BBY is probably the best place to trade in right now with the 50% trade in bonus thats going on. I guess i would get $30 for trading it in? Is that right?

THe main concern though is whether i can trade it in WITHOUT the case and manual. Since he left just the game, i dont want to trade in my case. The faq in the front says that shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone know if thats the case, or have a policy i can point to if i get any problems? The people in my gaming department are friggin retards since all the competent people left/transfered. They have trouble even just doing pre-orders or renewing a @gamer subscription so im assuming the trade in will be a nightmare. I want to have something to point to if theres any problems

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]

Disc only trades are fine

Best Buy has raised Black Ops PS3/Xbox to $17 base/$25.50 after 50%/$27.20 GCU

(was $12 base/$18.00 after 50%/$19.20 GCU)

As always, check the value BEFORE you go!

The one nice thing about the 50% trade over the 100% is that the base values for the high end games go up which results in more points earned towards RZ certs and Silver status.

I just noticed an in-store-only promo for RE6: "$40 Store Credit when you trade in RE6". There's an identical one for Dishonored. I wonder if that would go through without a hitch, since that's definitely the amount I would want to get for my vanilla RE6 (bought the Anthology for $62.97 through AWD). :whistle2:k

[quote name='Vigilante']I just noticed an in-store-only promo for RE6: "$40 Store Credit when you trade in RE6". There's an identical one for Dishonored. I wonder if that would go through without a hitch, since that's definitely the amount I would want to get for my vanilla RE6 (bought the Anthology for $62.97 through AWD). :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

ps3 version onlyas far as re6, xbox version gets 36 pre unlocked

[quote name='perdition(troy']only shows $36 on the site but you may as well give it a shot :)[/QUOTE]Yeah, that's my concern, but if you go here and scroll down, you'll see the two promos. My guess is that the $24 base online accounts for online trade-ins as well as the before-promos in-store trade-ins, so the only way to find out if the promo kicks in is to actually go trade RE6 in. I suppose I can always print out that page and show it as proof, but...

I only got $36 for my Anthology, even though the "hot trade ins" list showed $27 base for the PS3 version.

I think whatever the TIV comes up as if you use the TIV SEARCH BAR, is the correct value their system will bring up. No matter how much the guy tried, mine only came up $24 and he did nothing about honoring the $3 difference the site showed.

I noticed Fifa 11 was kind of high for an old sports game at 6 bucks before promo. Pick up 12 at target for 8 so I'm going to dump mine.

[quote name='jcp42877']I only got $36 for my Anthology, even though the "hot trade ins" list showed $27 base for the PS3 version.

I think whatever the TIV comes up as if you use the TIV SEARCH BAR, is the correct value their system will bring up. No matter how much the guy tried, mine only came up $24 and he did nothing about honoring the $3 difference the site showed.[/QUOTE]Then I guess the main question here is: Did those $40 credit in-store-only promos show up recently enough that had you waited, you would have gotten $40 instead of $36? My guess is yes since both of them are listed under "This Week's Offers"; they were probably added yesterday.

I saw Borderlands $40 offer yesterday so RE6 must be new. I might try to get $40 for though only $1.60 difference with 10% added. I haven't even touched RE6 as I'm obsessed with Borderlands 2. Mostly got it for 1-5 with Anthology. Been wanting to pick up God of War Saga so $40 trade would even out.

Traded in RE6 and only got 38.40 so looks like online ad is bullshit.

Just hope there is no problems getting $20 rz cert as I preordered Anthology edition and still no pending points.

Bonus round guys! Looks like Best Buy's are starting to sell Steam Giftcards now too. One more thing you can turn your credit into.

Anyone hear anything concrete about the 100% coming back next week? I know it has been rumored; forgot to ask the kind folks at my local BB two days ago when I was in for a trade-in.

[quote name='GoVols']Are all the games in RE6 Anthology (PS3) download vouchers or on disc?[/QUOTE]

1-5 are downloads with 6 on disc.

OK with the 100% coming back next week do you guys think Dishonored will have less then a $40 tiv? I was going to finish it and trade it before the $40 promo ends this week, but wouldn't mind holding on to it for a few extra days.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']OK with the 100% coming back next week do you guys think Dishonored will have less then a $40 tiv? I was going to finish it and trade it before the $40 promo ends this week, but wouldn't mind holding on to it for a few extra days.[/QUOTE]

where'd you hear it was coming back next week?

Checked the TIV of Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Resistance Burning Skies and Unit 13 for the Vita. All of them are @ $3.00. Tons of copies must have got flipped from that Walmart $40 Bundle promo :lol:

bread's done
Back