Best Buy Trade-in 4.0 - see new thread (5.0)!

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
At nearly 300 pages it was time for a new thread. You can view the previous thread here!

THIS THREAD OP IS NO LONGER ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH NEW PROMOS.

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!

Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers, and it definitely does stack despite what some employees will say.

Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

General video game promotions link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page (Promotions are listed at the bottom of the page)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE & VALUE ESTIMATOR

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades may be done in the Gaming Dept or at customer service depending on the store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the **% bonus TIV work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150.

How does the 10% Gamers Club Unlocked bonus work?
The 10% bonus for Gamers Club Unlocked members is calculated from the base trade in value. So in the above example, a $100 trade would get an extra $10 with the GCU membership bonus. So if there was a 50% trade in bonus it would be $100 base, $10 Gamers Club Unlocked bonus and $50 TIV bonus for a grand total of $160.

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership. It cost $15 and comes with a year subscription of @Gamer magazine (which typically has a couple of great coupons every month). It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your Reward Zone membership.

I didn't get my 10% bonus or the employee said it doesn't stack, what gives?
As of September 2012 the trade in system at Best Buy was updated, and employees seem to be having a hard time making sure that they add the GCU bonus. It should be added immediately after they scan your games, and before they take your personal information. You also should always try to know your full trade in value with bonuses before going to the store so that if the price is different you can identify it immediately. The 10% bonus definitely does stack with any TIV promo (100%, 50%, it doesn't matter). All the Gamers Club Unlocked pamphlets say so, as does the website, and are a great place to point to if an employee or a manager tells you otherwise.

Do we get Reward Zone points for trade-ins??
Yes. You get one point for every pre-bonus dollar traded in. So if your TIV was $100 before bonuses, you get 100 Reward Zone points. Gamers Club Unlocked members (and possibly standard Gamers Club members) get double points for everything gaming, including trade-ins. So in the same example you would wind up with 200 Reward Zone points. To get Reward Zone points you must have them include your Reward Zone membership information (easiest to look up by phone number) with your trade-in (this is required for the Gamers Club Unlocked bonus anyway).

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. Some states, or even localities (county, city, etc.) may not allow the sale of Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone/Android app is way off, why?
The app often sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it if you don't have to.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case (as in, it is possible that has never been the case). When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

How come the GOTY/complete version doesn't show up in the estimator?
Best Buy doesn't differentiate between the vanilla and GOTY/complete versions of a game 99% of the time. This is largely a cover-all policy due to the fact that many GOTY editions include the game's DLC and bonus content as one-time use codes; meaning that the game has no extra value on the 2nd hand market and honestly, Best Buy probably doesn't trust their employees to make sure all the extra content is included. So no extra TIV for your GOTY games. The plus side is that GOTY and vanilla versions sell at the same price, so if the DLC is located on disc and you find a GOTY version in-store it will be the same price as the vanilla one.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but updates can and do happen at any time. Sometimes an update will happen at an atypical time, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as).

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Lately some people have been told the policy is 1 game per system (i.e. you could trade in 1 copy of a game for Xbox, 1 for PS3 and 1 for Wii), and have been actively turned down when trading in more than one copy. Whether this is actually something they are banning for or if it is just what employees are being told to follow to limit multiples is unknown. Trade multiples at your own risk.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually. Yes, this also applies to DS, 3DS, PSP, etc. If you have the manual and artwork you should trade it in though anyway to improve the quality of the selection for people who may want to buy the game in the future (you can't know if the game will be complete when you buy online for example).

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only. Employees have gotten much better about knowing this policy though, and busier stores are more likely to have employees that have done more trade ins and know the rules.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but some stores apparently accept consoles as well. Call ahead before bringing it in. That said, the TIV for most hardware is lower than competitors.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or even city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll need a government issued ID (passport, drivers license, military ID, etc.).

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return. You might even be flat out denied by the employee or manager despite the official rule. It is their right to do so.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracked on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

Remember, all trades are technically at the discretion of Best Buy and they can refuse to accept a game for whatever reason they want (outside of you being black, woman, Jewish, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vigilante']Well, looks like I'm waiting until next week to trade in RE6 now that the 100% bonus is coming back. :D[/QUOTE]

You almost certainly won't wind up getting more with the 100%.

[quote name='Vigilante']Well, looks like I'm waiting until next week to trade in RE6 now that the 100% bonus is coming back. :D[/QUOTE]

I got 38.40 today and with bad reviews I doubt you'll get much more. Probably tops $40.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']You almost certainly won't wind up getting more with the 100%.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='PhilsUtley26']I got 38.40 today and with bad reviews I doubt you'll get much more. Probably tops $40.[/QUOTE]Well, yeah, I know that. I'm hoping to get $42, which is still $3.60 more than I'd get trading it in this week. ;)

[quote name='Vigilante']Well, yeah, I know that. I'm hoping to get $42, which is still $3.60 more than I'd get trading it in this week. ;)[/QUOTE]

$42 is in the realm of possibility, but I wouldn't be surprised if the base drops to $18 or $19.

[quote name='Vigilante']Well, yeah, I know that. I'm hoping to get $42, which is still $3.60 more than I'd get trading it in this week. ;)[/QUOTE]
But they could also dump the TIV down a tad and you'll still make the same or worse yet you'll LOSE credit by waiting. For a difference of less than $5 I wouldn't wait and take that chance.
[quote name='strait edge follower']I have guys at two gamestops who are giving me all of their cheap ps2 games for free, just in time for the 100% promo's return ![/QUOTE]
Are you intentionally trying for a trade-in ban?:lol:

[quote name='BudzMcGee']$42 is in the realm of possibility, but I wouldn't be surprised if the base drops to $18 or $19.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But they could also dump the TIV down a tad and you'll still make the same or worse yet you'll LOSE credit by waiting. For a difference of less than $5 I wouldn't wait and take that chance.[/QUOTE]OK, OK, fine, I'll just trade it in this week. :roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But they could also dump the TIV down a tad and you'll still make the same or worse yet you'll LOSE credit by waiting. For a difference of less than $5 I wouldn't wait and take that chance.

Are you intentionally trying for a trade-in ban?:lol:[/QUOTE]

My Father came with me once to do a trade in using his id card. Im gonna use his info as a sacrifice if needed. I just wont use my rewards card thats all. He doesnt trade in stuff so he doesnt care

:razz: Trust me. It's better to be safe than sorry. I'm actually debating hitting up my local BB before weeks end to see if they really would consider doubling at least their TIV for my 60gb PS3($73) to match the GS trade promo going till the 21st. I mean, it's a loss of $24($59 if they take off the $35 like GS would for the system not reading discs). But if the only other options are sitting on this damn thing or maybe sending it into Sony for one of their refurbs at a cost of $100 then I'm better off unloading it NOW.

What sucks is that I'm losing a Dual Shock 3 by trading it in, since it didn't come with a controller when I bought it from somebody trying to trade it into a local shop.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:razz: Trust me. It's better to be safe than sorry. I'm actually debating hitting up my local BB before weeks end to see if they really would consider doubling at least their TIV for my 60gb PS3($73) to match the GS trade promo going till the 21st. I mean, it's a loss of $24($59 if they take off the $35 like GS would for the system not reading discs). But if the only other options are sitting on this damn thing or maybe sending it into Sony for one of their refurbs at a cost of $100 then I'm better off unloading it NOW.

What sucks is that I'm losing a Dual Shock 3 by trading it in, since it didn't come with a controller when I bought it from somebody trying to trade it into a local shop.[/QUOTE]
Man I swear if I have to hear about you trading in that damn PS3 again I'm gonna...j/k.

You can always get a DS3 cheap from GS by exploiting a few promos. Oops I forgot who I was talking to. NO GS FOR YOU!

[quote name='klimb22']Man I swear if I have to hear about you trading in that damn PS3 again I'm gonna...j/k.

You can always get a DS3 cheap from GS by exploiting a few promos. Oops I forgot who I was talking to. NO GS FOR YOU![/QUOTE]
:lol: How do you think I got a few of these DS3's in the first damn place? I think I'm FINALLY using one of the last ones I got from the LBP/controller packs back when I was still being a huge devil customer to GS during the one glitched promo. That promo combined with the $5 Hollywood Video game sales were fuckin' awesome. Some of the $5 games qualified for the promo that was giving me controller/game packs for trading in 2 games that cost me $10 total.:evil:

Then every 2 controller/game packs would give me other games that qualified, so I'd rip the controllers out, trade the games back in and get another one.:rofl:

[quote name='Vigilante']OK, OK, fine, I'll just trade it in this week. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Do what you want, just consider it a friendly warning that you can not predict that the value will hold or be anything next week. The value could drop even further than some of us said, or, it could wind up being $20 meaning you'd get $42. Take the risk if you want to, just know you are taking the risk.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Do what you want, just consider it a friendly warning that you can not predict that the value will hold or be anything next week. The value could drop even further than some of us said, or, it could wind up being $20 meaning you'd get $42. Take the risk if you want to, just know you are taking the risk.[/QUOTE]I do appreciate you guys' advice, so thanks for it. It turns out that I might not even get a chance to get to BBY before the week is over, so we'll see what happens.

Alright. I finally got around to actually asking a manager(or two) at BB if they'd match both GS' promo for console trades AND their value. No to both counts. Not only that but the system has to actually work to even get their $73.29 value. So I am SOL apparently.:bomb:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Alright. I finally got around to actually asking a manager(or two) at BB if they'd match both GS' promo for console trades AND their value. No to both counts. Not only that but the system has to actually work to even get their $73.29 value. So I am SOL apparently.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

Explain the whole GS ban as I wasn't around then and can't you get a friend or family member to trade it in for then try some flipping with them.

[quote name='JohnWayne']Does anyone know by any chance if BBY lowers the TIV of games that are lower than $10 on their TIV site once the 100% starts?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they do, but lower TIV are only benefit with 100% as new releases you get more with 50% now.

[quote name='PhilsUtley26']Explain the whole GS ban as I wasn't around then and can't you get a friend or family member to trade it in for then try some flipping with them.[/QUOTE]
I've been pestering a buddy of mine from CAG/PSN to do it for me, but I haven't had the time lately to try getting him to go do it for me.:whistle2:#

I noticed last night that the base value for RE6 had been bumped up to $27 for both systems (meaning I'd get $43.20 after 110% in total bonuses :shock:), so I stopped by a BBY today to trade in my vanilla copy since I very, very highly doubt I could get any more than that next week.

It was a different BBY that I hadn't visited before, and when I asked if I could trade RE6 in, I was asked if I had the BBY receipt for it. I panicked inwardly for about 2 seconds before I realized that I did technically have a receipt for RE6 since I'd preordered and picked it up at BBY. I told the employee as much, and he was able to pull up the details in my account and I eventually got the $43.20 GC. ;)

[quote name='Stimes']Should I trade in Dishonored for $27 base or gamble and hope they don't drop the TIV for the 100%?[/QUOTE]

I traded in Borderlands 2 today for $27 base because I don't see BBY keeping that TIV tomorrow. You can always take a chance, newly released games might drop to $20 base.

[quote name='Stimes']Should I trade in Dishonored for $27 base or gamble and hope they don't drop the TIV for the 100%?[/QUOTE]
Trade it.

[quote name='jamesdevil']Trade it.[/QUOTE]

It's going to drop from $43.20 to at most $42.00 after unlocked. If you want to gamble at least $1.20, go for it.

If you are a PUR member, GS is offering $40 credit until tomorrow. Waiting to see what BBs value is tomorrow as well.

Highest TIV for 100% is $20 so 42 while now you can get 43.20.

People get fooled by 100% promo. Might even see lower drop in TIV with B2G1.

[quote name='PhilsUtley26']Highest TIV for 100% is $20 so 42 while now you can get 43.20.

People get fooled by 100% promo. Might even see lower drop in TIV with B2G1.[/QUOTE]

Right. I traded in Dishonored, BL2, NHL 13, 2k13 and Madden 13 today. Employees looked at me like I was crazy.

Do you need gamers club unlocked paid membership to get the 100% bonus TIV? Does anyone know what time during the day BBuy does updates, ex say they update TIV's tomorrow would they do it at 12 AM EST or PST?

Why would you make a separate trip to Best Buy on the off chance that the TIV difference would be so drastic?

Gas must be free in your state...

It's never worth the effort. Sure the TIV drops during the promo, but the extra 50% makes up for it and it evens out, give or take a couple bucks.

[quote name='ral1121']I wonder if this 100% will once again be extended.

Damn Black Ops just took a tank.

$17 to $11.[/QUOTE]

Not as bad as the :ps3: that went down to $8.

EDIT: Glad I traded in Darksiders II this evening. Base went down to $15 from $24.

[quote name='coopscohen']Here is an early report of the values for the "hot titles" with the 100% promo:

LINK[/QUOTE]
Damn that RE6 version for the 360 tanked in TiV lol, it's in 2 discs right? I'll probably play mine until the end of Oct then trade in it, if it falls oh well. Rushing a game just for a few bucks won't bug me.

[quote name='coopscohen']Here is an early report of the values for the "hot titles" with the 100% promo:

LINK[/QUOTE]

This has me worried as if the 100% bonus TIV is only for these "hot titles".

[quote name='J7.']This has me worried as if the 100% bonus TIV is only for these "hot titles".[/QUOTE]

It's on every game but this is list that is revised every week on the site for what BB believes to be "hot titles" so no need to worry.

[quote name='J7.']This has me worried as if the 100% bonus TIV is only for these "hot titles".[/QUOTE]

Hardly, they rest of the trade in value site gets updated later tonight/tomorrow or Tuesday night

Huh, Ridge Racer: Unbounded had its base reduced to $10 from $12, but with the 100% bonus (plus 10% GCU) the final amount of $21 is slightly better than the $19.20 you would have gotten from trading it in last week.

Since I bought it from Gamefly for $9.99, trading it in sounds like a good idea. :)

[quote name='parkerwilson']Hardly, they rest of the trade in value site gets updated later tonight/tomorrow or Tuesday night[/QUOTE]

Are there specific days they update TIV? Because the OP here doesn't indicate any.

[quote name='PhilsUtley26']So TIV all got nuked so 50% you actually got more. Hope everybody traded in and didn't fall for 100% promo.[/QUOTE]

i made it to the store with 30 min to spare last night, and my gamble paid off.

100% is only good for older titles. For newer titles always better trading it in right away as longer game is out lower TIV. Which is common sense, but people fall for 100% just like stores sell things for 9.99 not 10 you see 9 even though its the same price.

[quote name='J7.']Are there specific days they update TIV? Because the OP here doesn't indicate any.[/QUOTE]

I have heard Saturday and Tuesday nights, could be wrong

[quote name='J7.']Are there specific days they update TIV? Because the OP here doesn't indicate any.[/QUOTE]
It's pretty random, if there's a hot title that everyone is trading in they will spontaneously alter the TiV the next day doesn't matter the day. But I've usually seen it update on a Saturday and Tuesday as well.

[quote name='PhilsUtley26']So TIV all got nuked so 50% you actually got more. Hope everybody traded in and didn't fall for 100% promo.[/QUOTE]

Not *all* values are worse..

Amazing Spider-Man was $15 last week. After the 50% bonus, it was $22.50.
Now, it's $12. After the 100%, it's $24.

bread's done
Back