Best Buy Trade-in Thread 2.0: Please see new thread.

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
At 276 pages and countless request for a new OP, it was time to retire the first Best Buy Trade-in Thread and start fresh. Thanks bh47 for your work in the previous thread (and providing the framework for this one)!

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.
Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

Current Promos:
- 50% Bonus when you trade in ANY game.
Get a 50% trade in bonus when you trade in ANY game. Offer valid 01/01/12 - 01/07/12

- Trade 3, get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 01/01/12 -03/03/12

- 30% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 30% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 01/01/12 -03/03/12

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/Quo...VideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)\

Upcoming/Rumored Promotions:
All promos that have yet to appear on Best Buy's site (or in an upcoming ad) are listed here:
None at the moment

Previous Promotions:
Promos that have expired:
- 50% Bonus with specific Pre-order from list.
Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game from the following list: Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite, Grand Theft Auto 5, MLB 12 The Show, Soul Calibur V, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Twisted Metal, Max Payne 3, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City and Diablo 3. Offer valid 12/25/11 - 12/31/11

- Trade 2, get 25% More.
Trade in 2 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/31/11

- 30% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 30% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/31/11
- 40% Bonus with purchase of any game $39.99 or above.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you purchase any game $39.99 or above. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/10/11

- 50% Bonus with purchase of any game $39.99 or above.
Get a 50% extra trade-in credit when you purchase any game $39.99 or above. Offer valid 11/27/11 - 12/03/11

- Trade 3, get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 10/30/11 - 11/26/11

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer valid 10/5/11 - 11/26/11

- 40% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Saints Row 3. Offer valid 11/13/11 - 11/19/11

- 40% Bonus with Assassin's Creed Revelations Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Assassin's Creed Revelations. Offer valid 11/13/11 - 11/19/11

- 50% Bonus with Modern Warfare 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/Purchase Modern Warfare 3. Offer valid 10/10/11 - 11/12/11 (Assuming this means a bonus for purchasing the game after it is released this Tuesday)

- 50% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Saints Row 3. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 50% Bonus with Assassin's Creed Revelations Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Assassin's Creed Revelations. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 40% Bonus with The Elder Scrolls V: Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11

- 50% Bonus with Max Payne 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Max Payne 3. Offer valid 11/6/11 - 11/12/11 - This promo seems a little odd and there is a chance it is an error on the site since the game is so far from release.

- 50% Bonus with Saints Row 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Saints Row 3. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 10/29/11

- 50% Bonus with Skyrim Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 11/05/11

- 40% Bonus with Uncharted 3 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Uncharted 3. Offer valid 10/30/11 - 11/05/11

- 40% Bonus with Battlefield 3 Purchase.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you purchase Battlefield 3. Offer valid 10/23/11 - 10/29/11

- Trade 2, get 25% More.

Trade in 2 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit. Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/29/11

- 50% Bonus with Battlefield 3 Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Battlefield 3. Offer valid 10/9/11 - 10/22/11

- 40% Bonus with purchase of Batman: Arkham City.
Get 40% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Batman: Arkham City. Offer valid 10/16/11 - 10/22/11

- 50% Bonus with Batman: Arkham City Pre-order.
Get 50% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order Batman: Arkham City. Offer valid 10/9/11 - 10/15/11

- 30% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order/Purchase.
Get a 30% extra trade-in Credit when you pre-order/purchase Rage or NBA 2K12. Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/08/11

- Trade 4 get an extra $20 Trade-in Credit.
Get $20 trade-in Credit when you trade 4 or more games (Current gen games only (no PS2) and $5 minimum for each game). Offer valid 10/2/11 - 10/08/11 **** This promo was cancelled early due to technical issues. There have been issues with this promo not working on some stores' systems or simply not even being available, the issue seems to be related to disc-only games (or any game that is typed rather than scanned) so plan accordingly. The $20 extra is once per trade-in, meaning 4 games or 123 games it will only be $20 extra per transaction. So if you want to trade in 8 games, do it in two separate transactions. ****

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer was valid from 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expired 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expired 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expired 10/01/2011

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150. After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracks on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership. It cost $15 and comes with a year subscription of @Gamer magazine. It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your Reward Zone membership.

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. IL does not sell Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone app is way off, why?
The app sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case. When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but major updates seem to come on Sunday and Tuesday nights (or at least have in the past). Sometimes an update will happen randomly, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as).

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy only accepts 3 copies of a game, per system (i.e. you could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox, 3 copies for PS3 and 3 for Wii). This is for sure the online policy, but it varies in stores. Some people have reported being banned for trading in more than 3 copies of games, others have done so frequently without issue. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually.

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but word is that will change soon.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll likely need a state ID.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='musicjunkie']Try to trade-in a game he already traded 3 of but since it's a different employee he could claim he never traded them in? I dunno but why else would he ask questions like that?[/QUOTE]
Are you fucking serious?

I'm glad T:A and T:D tiv are still holding at 14. I picked them up yesterday but wasn't able to stop by. I'm slowly getting rid of all that gamestop credit.

[quote name='kouleefoh']lol where are you from? I asked similar question before through casual convos. Like, "yea I know pretty much everyone here, blah blah blah, I don't think there's anyone else right?" or "I'll come back and trade more games in, hopefully there won't be any problems, you'll be working at this time right?" Not sure what the harm in those would be.[/QUOTE]

CT. I wasn't the one working but the employee that was said he was not casual about it at all and just rapid firing questions like that. I'm not saying anything is wrong with that but just don't be brutally obvious.

I guess what I'm getting at is right now it seems the biggest two complaints about BB's trade-in is A)my store's trade-in system was down or B)the promo I wanted wasn't working. Those are fixable problems but the last thing anyone wants (the company, you or I) is to have to 'put watch' on people taking advantage of the system. Flipping is good and all but when people take advantage of it trying to flip dozens of copies of the same game it hurts the system and in the future there might be tighter constraints. It would be terrible if people started posting here that were refused their trade-ins for whatever reason. When's the last time you heard that happening at GS?

We are lucky now and we seem to be in the honeymoon period where TIVs are huge and promos make them even bigger but I'd say just be careful with what you do. The system can change at any time. It's all very YMMV at this point but who knows.

[quote name='musicjunkie']Try to trade-in a game he already traded 3 of but since it's a different employee he could claim he never traded them in? I dunno but why else would he ask questions like that?[/QUOTE]

Maybe since you are a fellow CAG, he might rather deal with you instead of the other employee's, but then again that does sound like a stretch with the questions he asked.

Also if anyone is looking to flip Amazon credit (not the promo credit) to Best Buy credit LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars for the Wii is slightly profitable after promos from a third party seller in "very good" condition for $11.99 fulfilled by Amazon Prime. 3DS and Xbox 360 versions also look like they can slightly profit after 50% bonus for those of you with the unlocked cards or if the 50% promo is next week.

Game- Cost> BB base TIV>Total TIV after 50% bonus

Wii version- $11.99>$11>$16.50
360 version- $15.99>$11>$16.50
3DS version- $12.49>$10>$15

[quote name='musicjunkie']CT. I wasn't the one working but the employee that was said he was not casual about it at all and just rapid firing questions like that. I'm not saying anything is wrong with that but just don't be brutally obvious.

I guess what I'm getting at is right now it seems the biggest two complaints about BB's trade-in is A)my store's trade-in system was down or B)the promo I wanted wasn't working. Those are fixable problems but the last thing anyone wants (the company, you or I) is to have to 'put watch' on people taking advantage of the system. Flipping is good and all but when people take advantage of it trying to flip dozens of copies of the same game it hurts the system and in the future there might be tighter constraints. It would be terrible if people started posting here that were refused their trade-ins for whatever reason. When's the last time you heard that happening at GS?

We are lucky now and we seem to be in the honeymoon period where TIVs are huge and promos make them even bigger but I'd say just be careful with what you do. The system can change at any time. It's all very YMMV at this point but who knows.[/QUOTE]
Gotcha, don't be obnoxious and don't kill the golden egg is the message here.

[quote name='kouleefoh']Gotcha, don't be obnoxious and don't kill the golden egg is the message here.[/QUOTE]

Oh don't worry, someone will kill it. I predict they'll go 2 titles every 6 months like Amazon does eventually.

Can i do the 40% (50 with my new card) extra trade in promo and just cancel the preorder to get all the credit back ? If so I might acually wait for that rumored batman 50% deal instead

[quote name='confoosious']Oh don't worry, someone will kill it. I predict they'll go 2 titles every 6 months like Amazon does eventually.[/QUOTE]
That's the concern when people don't share flips. Less people do it, the longer the goose lasts. But that's another discussion.

[quote name='kouleefoh']That's the concern when people don't share flips. Less people do it, the longer the goose lasts. But that's another discussion.[/QUOTE]

It's the people who flip 6,9,12 copies of games that will kill it. Not the people who trade 1 or 2.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Can i do the 40% (50 with my new card) extra trade in promo and just cancel the preorder to get all the credit back ? If so I might acually wait for that rumored batman 50% deal instead[/QUOTE]
OP my friend. It's there in plain English.

Also guys I'm just trying to help. :D

[quote name='confoosious']It's the people who flip 6,9,12 copies of games that will kill it. Not the people who trade 1 or 2.[/QUOTE]

This. Hoarders will force them to do what amazon does with the 6 month thing which sucks

[quote name='musicjunkie']OP my friend. It's there in plain English.

Also guys I'm just trying to help. :D[/QUOTE]

I keep on forgetting to read the op in these mega threads lol thanks

[quote name='confoosious']It's the people who flip 6,9,12 copies of games that will kill it. Not the people who trade 1 or 2.[/QUOTE]

And whos more likely to break the rules? The flippers thats worries about protecting trade ins or newbies who wants quick buck but only know about one or two titles that someone listed?

I think theyll change policy when they see how many two world 2 and swfu 2 they have lol. BB employes ae geting those as xmas bonus this year

[quote name='strait edge follower']Can i do the 40% (50 with my new card) extra trade in promo and just cancel the preorder to get all the credit back ? If so I might acually wait for that rumored batman 50% deal instead[/QUOTE]

^^^this^^^ crap will kill the promos
"sigh" and you comment on the idiots who trade in 6 and 12...
the last few pages, sheesh what a joke of newbs and redundant comments...

what happened to ignore and read the Op?

and shady, I hope you already have your Amazon copies in hand to trade in today....

[quote name='kouleefoh']And whos more likely to break the rules? The flippers thats worries about protecting trade ins or newbies who wants quick buck but only know about one or two titles that someone listed?[/QUOTE]

Logically the newbies but you'll find it's the flippers who get really greedy and can't help themselves. They think they can "beat the system" and they'll end up ruining it for everyone. Think about the times you've seen people post in here "I traded in 3 and then ran to another BB to trade in another 3 before the TIV dropped."

[quote name='donut']^^^this^^^ crap will kill the promos
"sigh" and you comment on the idiots who trade in 6 and 12...
the last few pages, sheesh what a joke of newbs and redundant comments...

what happened to ignore and read the Op?

and shady, I hope you already have your Amazon copies in hand to trade in today....[/QUOTE]

I'm still going to use the credit at bestbuy but just for a different game after the cancel so what's the difference ? I have no intention of trading multiple copys of a game anyway

[quote name='donut']
and shady, I hope you already have your Amazon copies in hand to trade in today....[/QUOTE]

Nope but I did pick up 3 copies (would not let me buy more than one $11.99 or $12.86 copy though) which I have prime so I should get 2 on the 11th and the other on the 13th. I also locked in 2 of them for the $16 on amazon and the other I might just trade out on goozex for a decent flip.

[quote name='musicjunkie'] Those are fixable problems but the last thing anyone wants (the company, you or I) is to have to 'put watch' on people taking advantage of the system. Flipping is good and all but when people take advantage of it trying to flip dozens of copies of the same game it hurts the system and in the future there might be tighter constraints. It would be terrible if people started posting here that were refused their trade-ins for whatever reason. When's the last time you heard that happening at GS?[/QUOTE]

I think some flippers have an addiction problem. I see some talking about it like those just getting into stocks...profit this, profit that. Its ruined lives man!

Soon enough a CAG will disappear for a little while due to suspected theft or money laundering. Flipped way too many games for credit or even credit for visa cards. I expect more police stories in the future. :D:whistle2:#:D

[quote name='strait edge follower']I'm still going to use the credit at bestbuy but just for a different game after the cancel so what's the difference ? I have no intention of trading multiple copys of a game anyway[/QUOTE]

Well, to you, a dollar is a dollar is a dollar. But that's not how business people see it.

If you invest $1 in a preorder bonus, you better get $X back.

So they know people will cancel preorders. It's the nature of the beast.

But if the industry standard is 50% and their keep rate is half that, you better believe they will investigate.

So yeah, any business analyst worth his salt will monitor the numbers closely. If the preorders aren't yielding enough returns, they're gonna figure out it's because people are preordering simply for the bonus and then cancelling. Then bye bye 40% bonuses.

It's just bidnis. And very simple business at that.

[quote name='confoosious']Logically the newbies but you'll find it's the flippers who get really greedy and can't help themselves. They think they can "beat the system" and they'll end up ruining it for everyone. Think about the times you've seen people post in here "I traded in 3 and then ran to another BB to trade in another 3 before the TIV dropped."[/QUOTE]
Yea, I agree with ya. There are douche bags like that across the board. If BB TIV aren't as good in the future, it's okay. The only reason I've ever traded in because I didn't wanna wait for games to drop in price. Once trade-ins are gone, my patience will be forced to come back.:lol:

[quote name='confoosious']Well, to you, a dollar is a dollar is a dollar. But that's not how business people see it.

If you invest $1 in a preorder bonus, you better get $X back.

So they know people will cancel preorders. It's the nature of the beast.

But if the industry standard is 50% and their keep rate is half that, you better believe they will investigate.

So yeah, any business analyst worth his salt will monitor the numbers closely. If the preorders aren't yielding enough returns, they're gonna figure out it's because people are preordering simply for the bonus and then cancelling. Then bye bye 40% bonuses.

It's just bidnis. And very simple business at that.[/QUOTE]

And this is exactly why I went ahead and kept my Rage preorder even though there were better deals elsewhere. To some extent, any business relationship places an obligation of good faith on both parties. When I used my preorder to get bonuses on two or three separate trade ins, I (in my opinion) obligated myself to follow through on that preorder. If I want the benefits of the bargain, then I better fulfill my portion of the exchange if I want to continue to have such opportunities in the future.

Ok, so we can only trade in 3 copies of the same game for the same system per year. Just for my information in three months, is this per calendar year or from the date you traded it in?

[quote name='bgame2']And this is exactly why I went ahead and kept my Rage preorder even though there were better deals elsewhere. To some extent, any business relationship places an obligation of good faith on both parties. When I used my preorder to get bonuses on two or three separate trade ins, I (in my opinion) obligated myself to follow through on that preorder. If I want the benefits of the bargain, then I better fulfill my portion of the exchange if I want to continue to have such opportunities in the future.[/QUOTE]
Yup, plus it's not hard dumping the game off CL and minimize the lost.

[quote name='confoosious']Do you actually buy the game or just let them keep the $5?[/QUOTE]
Is this question more for me? Yes I do pick up all my pre-orders and keep them. Games like NBA 2k12 and Rage which I don't intend to play right away, I sell them back off craigslist

[quote name='strait edge follower']This. Hoarders will force them to do what amazon does with the 6 month thing which sucks[/QUOTE]

1. I don't see how that hurts anyone except the hoarders. You guys are saying that the people trading in 6 copies of a game are going to kill it and make it 2/year or 2/six months for everyone. OK, then, who is that hurting? If a person is one of the guys just trading in his games, then he's never going to bump into that limit. The hoarders will get it shut down for themselves... it's like some of you guys are bitching that the people that trade in 6+ games of the same title need to stop so that they can keep trading in 6+ titles... it doesn't make any sense.

2. People that are doing the return stuff for their preorders also need to think of it like this: Even if you are not selling on CL -- and sometimes games don't move on CL, for some reason I have not had a single message about rage on CL, you can trade it in and consider the credit in this way:

• When you traded in and did the preorder, you got a bonus, I consider "base bonus" to be 30%, even though I guess it's more like 25% right now, so whatever extra you get is the actual "preorder bonus" -- usually an extra 10% (like now with the 40% preorder bonus).
  • If you look at your base trade in value and take 10%, then that is what you earned extra for preordering.
  • Currently you can trade a game like Rage in for 45.
  • So, as long as you had a base value of 150 that you traded on that Rage preorder, then you break even just ripping it open and trading it back in.
  • Anything over 150 is your actual "profit" for preordering Rage; and that doesn't consider the fact that it should tick one of your 5/100 off of your list.
Plenty of people have warned about what might happen with preorder returns and I think if you do the above, you will be safer. Obviously, there is sense in the opinion that this whole BB deal is going to burn out pretty quick and some people might not care, but I think that is a simple way to avoid the ire of BB.

For those that say it is hypocritical or whatever to think it's OK to trade in more than 3, but say that people should not return preorders, I'm not saying it based on some morals issue, I'm saying it based on personal interest: BB tracks returns across stores, they don't track trade ins across stores. I don't know how to make it more simple then that.

[quote name='kouleefoh']Is this question more for me? Yes I do pick up all my pre-orders and keep them. Games like NBA 2k12 and Rage which I don't intend to play right away, I sell them back off craigslist[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to add that you can also PM the game even after you've sold it as long as you keep the receipt. Most recent releases have gone on sale within 30-45 days. Win-win situation.

[quote name='kouleefoh']Yup, plus it's not hard dumping the game off CL and minimize the lost.[/QUOTE]

Some guy was buying rage for ps3 in front of me for 60 bucks last night and I wanted to be like "dude, stop that, come to my car and I'll give you my copy for 45" -- I don't get why rage didn't move!

[quote name='DerClaw']Some guy was buying rage for ps3 in front of me for 60 bucks last night and I wanted to be like "dude, stop that, come to my car and I'll give you my copy for 45" -- I don't get why rage didn't move![/QUOTE]
Dude, that's a creepy thing to say.. lol. But damn, u couldn't get rid of it for $45 huh? That sucks, but from my experience, people check craigslist more when it's closer to the weekend, so hopefully they'll start emailing ya.
I've had items that I posted for days, without any email, then bam 2 weeks later, 5 people would simultaneously email about it. Weird haha.

[quote name='kouleefoh']Dude, that's a creepy thing to say.. lol. But damn, u couldn't get rid of it for $45 huh? That sucks, but from my experience, people check craigslist more when it's closer to the weekend, so hopefully they'll start emailing ya.
I've had items that I posted for days, without any email, then bam 2 weeks later, 5 people would simultaneously email about it. Weird haha.[/QUOTE]

Well, I didn't actually say it to him. I always want to tell the old ladies buying games to just buy from me too. Can't stand people walking in and paying 300 + Tax on a PS3 or something like that :)

EDIT: I also saw a mom with 2 little boys at the mall and wanted to give them my bag of Dark of the Moon hotwheels, but figured that would be creepy too. Why's everything have to be so creepy :(

[quote name='confoosious']Do you actually buy the game or just let them keep the $5?[/QUOTE]

Yep, I picked my copy up. I'm planning on playing through it this weekend.

Went and traded in a few of those Transformers DotM games. Just some advice, when they go to enter it in (if you didnt bring in the box with UPC) make sure they enter the Dark of the Moon which is 14 instead of the Transformers: Auto/Decept which is only 5 . I had an "oh shit" moment last night when I expected 115 and he quoted me 40ish until I looked at the screen and asked if it was the latest release, and not the very first release.

Talking about wanting to talk some sense into customers...
I have seen a few older women (think cougars) who are buying :ps3: system and games for their kid/nephew/etc and asking about cables and stuff. The employee of course directs the lady at the Monster Cable HDMI for ~$100. I have wanted to walk up and say "you know you could buy an identical copy 'not branded Monster' cable from Monoprice and save ~$95.

[quote name='kouleefoh']Dude, that's a creepy thing to say.. lol. But damn, u couldn't get rid of it for $45 huh? That sucks, but from my experience, people check craigslist more when it's closer to the weekend, so hopefully they'll start emailing ya.
I've had items that I posted for days, without any email, then bam 2 weeks later, 5 people would simultaneously email about it. Weird haha.[/QUOTE]

This happened to me. I put my Gears of War 3 Brand new copy for $50 and no one contacted me. I just opened it and beaten the campaign and put it back Like New for $50. Then a couple days later five or six people contacted me and I sold it at $50.

[quote name='nakanenui']Went and traded in a few of those Transformers DotM games. Just some advice, when they go to enter it in (if you didnt bring in the box with UPC) make sure they enter the Dark of the Moon which is 14 instead of the Transformers: Auto/Decept which is only 5 . I had an "oh shit" moment last night when I expected 115 and he quoted me 40ish until I looked at the screen and asked if it was the latest release, and not the very first release.[/QUOTE]

did you get the transformers game from GS or BB?

[quote name='Royal High Knight']did you get the transformers game from GS or BB?[/QUOTE]

I price matched 3 at bb and got 3 at gs

[quote name='DerClaw']Well, I didn't actually say it to him. I always want to tell the old ladies buying games to just buy from me too. Can't stand people walking in and paying 300 + Tax on a PS3 or something like that :)

EDIT: I also saw a mom with 2 little boys at the mall and wanted to give them my bag of DOM hotwheels, but figured that would be creepy too. Why's everything have to be so creepy :([/QUOTE]

Wait..... you can keep the car? Did you unseal it at the counter just in case they wouldn't take the trade?

[quote name='JungleRot']Wait..... you can keep the car? Did you unseal it at the counter just in case they wouldn't take the trade?[/QUOTE]

After BB idiots called the cops for having sealed games, I always open them before I go in. For the T:A/D I just opened the games and pulled out the manuals and car and took the game in. The clerks have just thrown away the boxes and put the games in those little sleeves. If I can trade in game-only, they sure as hell don't get my hotwheels :)

[quote name='DerClaw']After BB idiots called the cops for having sealed games, I always open them before I go in. For the T:A/D I just opened the games and pulled out the manuals and car and took the game in. The clerks have just thrown away the boxes and put the games in those little sleeves. If I can trade in game-only, they sure as hell don't get my hotwheels :)[/QUOTE]

LOL. I am just afraid to open it and then the trade gets shot down for some reason and I can't return it because it is opened.

Really they called the cops? Damn!

[quote name='JungleRot']LOL. I am just afraid to open it and then the trade gets shot down for some reason and I can't return it because it is opened.

Really they called the cops? Damn![/QUOTE]

The copies from GS all were opened already and then they just put that little clear circle sticker on it, so I'd imagine if you were too worried, you could probably pull that clear sticker off right away and keep it so that you can re-seal it if you needed to take it back to GS.

I wonder what the TIV is for that game at BBV?

[quote name='jrod69']I price matched 3 at bb and got 3 at gs[/QUOTE]

was this a while ago or recently. In this week's ad for GS, T-DOTM for DS is $9 and $19 aswell online. Did you get it for $9 at GS and then flip it?

finally had it out with the local management at my Best Buy about being repeatedly treated like a thief. I'm actually a good little consumer - not a big flipper (never more than 2 copies of a game, period, and not very often), kept most of my preorders, rarely even price match. but apparently even cancelling a couple preorders (actually moved them online) and trading in multiples is enough to get you on a watch list at this store.

anyhoo, long story short I went to cancel my last preorder that I moved online, and since it was apparently bought as part of a trade-in I was told that I was "trying to steal" from them and I either had to buy my preorder or refund them the gift card amount. I eventually had to ask them to produce the paperwork I signed where I agreed to do either of those things (surprisingly the manager claimed they keep all of the trade in sheets onsite), at which time he begrudgingly just gave me the $5 bucks.

Honestly I could give a shit about 5 dollars, but either the adversarial relationship between me and this store needed to end or it needed to be the reason I stop trying to support Best Buy.

[quote name='strait edge follower']I'm still going to use the credit at bestbuy but just for a different game after the cancel so what's the difference ? I have no intention of trading multiple copys of a game anyway[/QUOTE]

Just did an exchange of GOW3 for another game. Was simple and quick.

[quote name='DerClaw']Well, I didn't actually say it to him. I always want to tell the old ladies buying games to just buy from me too. Can't stand people walking in and paying 300 + Tax on a PS3 or something like that :)

EDIT: I also saw a mom with 2 little boys at the mall and wanted to give them my bag of Dark of the Moon hotwheels, but figured that would be creepy too. Why's everything have to be so creepy :([/QUOTE]

Yeah, nowadays you cant even be nice to strangers kids... STRANGER DANGER!

[quote name='Royal High Knight']did you get the transformers game from GS or BB?[/QUOTE]

GS. Easy 2x credit transfer.

[quote name='DerClaw']The copies from GS all were opened already and then they just put that little clear circle sticker on it, so I'd imagine if you were too worried, you could probably pull that clear sticker off right away and keep it so that you can re-seal it if you needed to take it back to GS.

I wonder what the TIV is for that game at BBV?[/QUOTE]

About those reseals, trying to get off their reseal sticker will leave obvious indications that you opened the resealed game. If you are cool with the GS employee I dont think it will matter, but otherwise you may not be able to return it.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']was this a while ago or recently. In this week's ad for GS, T-DOTM for DS is $9 and $19 aswell online. Did you get it for $9 at GS and then flip it?[/QUOTE]

$9.99 new at GS this week. 17.99 for used. I have a nice collection of Transformers cars going too bad its only 2 models.

[quote name='tenzor']if you click on the "Show Promotions available in store only" link near the top of the BestBuy.com Trade in Center page, (http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm#) the "Trade 4 for Bonus $20 credit" has been deleted. So this should confirm that Best Buy did indeed cancel the promotion.

They did add the Trade in any game towards a pre-order and get 40% again, as we mentioned above. This was probably done to replace the Trade 4 games for extra 20 deal.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I traded on Wed and the promo would not come up so I showed them their own flyer. The manager just gave me a $20 GC and he processed the rest of my trade with only my unlocked bonus. Glad I did not wait but I am surprised they just cancelled.

On a side note. I have been pretty quick to defend BB this fall since I have been getting so much in trade and their sales have been good but I am starting to see the cracks in the armor. Between these promos not working, people having issues with their 5/100 deals, collectors editions being cancelled, the coupons that did not worked, then worked, now do not work, and a customer service department that really has no clue what they are trying to do in video games, I think BB is close to failing. They are trying to compete and do some different things but if their IT and CS cannot provided a seamless experience people won't stick around. They would have been better off providing $20 RZ certs for up to 5 games instead of after 5 games. This would have made it easier to deal with each mess up as they occurred instead of stringing 5 of them together. Now with the 4 for $20 deal tanking I highly doubt we will see that again until the IT people can code their system properly. Well I just hope I can get what I can get before the fall is done and they can regroup and make the right changes for 2012.

[quote name='nakanenui']

$9.99 new at GS this week. 17.99 for used. I have a nice collection of Transformers cars going too bad its only 2 models.[/QUOTE]

It is stupid that the cars do neither of these things: (1) transform or (2) have a slot to keep the DS game in.

[quote name='handsomepete'](surprisingly the manager claimed they keep all of the trade in sheets onsite)[/QUOTE]
Do you sign a piece of paper at the end of your trade-ins? If so that is what he is talking about and he is correct. They are kept within the store.

$9.99 new at GS this week. 17.99 for used. I have a nice collection of Transformers cars going too bad its only 2 models.[/QUOTE]

Oh shit. I didn't want to go to GS because I also saw the $19.99 price, but now I will. Hopefully the TIV at BB doesn't sink and the 50% kicks in Monday

bread's done
Back