Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went today and traded some games. One was NCAA 12 and for some reason it scanned as Call of Duty 2. We didnt notice it til the transaction was over. I got it fixed, but be sure to double check before you leave.

[quote name='yotis']just got back from a trip to best buy. i already pre ordered mw3 and traded in some games for the 40% extra promo about a week ago. went in today and traded in call of juarez the cartel (which you can flip from family video $20-> best buy $30.80) the associate wouldnt add the aditional 40% trade in to my mw3 pre order and was being a douche about it and i was in a rush so i just preordered saints row 3 to shut him up.

so i guess if any of you are planing on doing the 40% extra deal trade all your games in 1 shot to avoid this hassle... no big deal tho i can always just return the preorder and get my 5 bucks back at customer service if i dont want to preorder saints row 3 after all.. how fast do you guys think that the price of saints row 3 will drop just wondering cuz i got burned by the whole preorder fallout new vegas bullshit hahaha that games priced tanked so fast[/QUOTE]

He wasn't being a "douche" - that's the way it is supposed to work. If you want the preorder bonus, you need to preorder each time you trade. That's the whole point of offering the preorder bonus. If they let you trade more games in on the same preorder that kind of defeats the purpose of the promo. Yeah, I know some clerks let people do that, but that is the exception.

That's why I've just been doing the 30% (for trading 3 or more) bonus the last few times. Sure I could cancel preorders but I'd rather not get into all that mess too often. I want to save cancellations for games I legitimately change my mind on (e.g., bad reviews or in the case of DQMJ2 a last minute price increase).

I finally found a use for those 99 cent PS2 games from Gamestop - they make great filler for the trade 3 promo.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I used to ALWAYS pay for my purchases in cash. Why? Because I prefer cash, which is something tangible I can hold in my hands and that has value to pay for something I want.

Why do people suddenly think it's 'shady' if someone comes in with a good sized chunk of cash to pay for a larger purchase? There are people who just don't trust banks as far as they can spit. I myself am one of these people to some extent. One wrong number or one wrong button press or a glitch/virus and POOF....my money's gone and then the onus is ON ME to prove what I had before the fuck up just so I can get MY money back? fuck that.[/QUOTE]

who the hell doesn't trust banks? Come on.

Please get out of the 1960s if you're gonna participate in today's world.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Not sure if anyone has said this already, but one could get Driver: SF for $30 on Sunday (w/ @Gamer coupon), play it, and trade it in with a preorder bonus and get about ~$45 credit back. Assuming of course the trade in base value doesn't tank next week.[/QUOTE]
It's on sale now for $39.99 .com and in-store, but better TIV if you wait for the 50% next week. That's if the TIV holds up. Someone reported that the coupon didn't stack.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']This shit here. Stop it.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, though, would you mind checking GS prices vs. BB trade in prices for every game and let me know if any are good. I'll give you a +1 rep on SD?

[quote name='confoosious']who the hell doesn't trust banks? Come on.

Please get out of the 1960s if you're gonna participate in today's world.[/QUOTE]

Stupid people who don't realize all modern banks automatically insure each account for up to 100k in case something were to happen or people who don't realize you can cancel your cards in case you lose them or think someone's been using it or people who don't realize that at least with CHASE if someone or a company charges your card and you didn't authorize it,they can remove the charge refund you all of your cash no questions asked waive all fees associated with the charge, and create you a new account in less than 10 minutes all for free, but hey.
I'm totally for if this guy enjoys losing his money permanently.
Little lengthy, eh?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I used to ALWAYS pay for my purchases in cash. Why? Because I prefer cash, which is something tangible I can hold in my hands and that has value to pay for something I want.

Why do people suddenly think it's 'shady' if someone comes in with a good sized chunk of cash to pay for a larger purchase? There are people who just don't trust banks as far as they can spit. I myself am one of these people to some extent. One wrong number or one wrong button press or a glitch/virus and POOF....my money's gone and then the onus is ON ME to prove what I had before the fuck up just so I can get MY money back? fuck that.[/QUOTE]

If you're paying for stuff with something other than a GC (or GC equivalent) and not getting credit card bonuses, then you are doing it wrong. I only ever use cash if I am certain that I'm going to be returning the item later so as to reduce paper trial (like I did with my madden purchase today).

[quote name='confoosious']who the hell doesn't trust banks? Come on.

Please get out of the 1960s if you're gonna participate in today's world.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='DudeImGodly']Stupid people who don't realize all modern banks automatically insure each account for up to 100k in case something were to happen or people who don't realize you can cancel your cards in case you lose them or think someone's been using it or people who don't realize that at least with CHASE if someone or a company charges your card and you didn't authorize it,they can remove the charge refund you all of your cash no questions asked waive all fees associated with the charge, and create you a new account in less than 10 minutes all for free, but hey.
I'm totally for if this guy enjoys losing his money permanently.
Little lengthy, eh?[/QUOTE]
What can I say, I just don't trust banks as far as I can spit. They look for every chance they can get to nail ya with a fee. You don't do direct deposit: fee. You don't keep a minimum balance: fee. And so on and so forth.

Although I'm with a local lil bank chain and not one of the megalithic chains like Bank Of America.
[quote name='DerClaw']If you're paying for stuff with something other than a GC (or GC equivalent) and not getting credit card bonuses, then you are doing it wrong. I only ever use cash if I am certain that I'm going to be returning the item later so as to reduce paper trial (like I did with my madden purchase today).[/QUOTE]
Considering my only cc has a 24.9% interest rate on it, I'd rather not make too many larger purchases on it. It does have a rewards program, but like so many of the store based rewards/loyalty programs the points take forever to accrue to where they'd even be half useful.:roll::cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

Considering my only cc has a 24.9% interest rate on it, I'd rather not make too many larger purchases on it. It does have a rewards program, but like so many of the store based rewards/loyalty programs the points take forever to accrue to where they'd even be half useful.:roll::cry:[/QUOTE]

I dunno, man - I just credited one of my cards with $500 I had earned on it. As long as you pay them off every month you don't pay the 24.9% anyway. If you can keep yourself disciplined such that you would only buy things you would have used cash on before, you can get some nice benefits - not to mention not having to carry around large sums of cash which is way more risky, IMO, than anyone stealing your card/bank info. I rarely have more than like $5 on me :lol:.

In any case, we're going off topic so let's rein it back in. I am heading to Best Buy in a bit for more trade 3 goodness. I scraped 3 games together (2 of which I want to trade ASAP because the values will probably drop). I will be going to GS, anyway, though, so I may just use their 50% trade-in bonus promo for buying any used game to get some 99 cent filler for Best Buy. There are more than a few games where I'll come out ahead with Gamestop vs. Best Buy, given that the trade-in quotes in the GS thread are still valid (a big "if")...

[quote name='io']I dunno, man - I just credited one of my cards with $500 I had earned on it. As long as you pay them off every month you don't pay the 24.9% anyway. If you can keep yourself disciplined such that you would only buy things you would have used cash on before, you can get some nice benefits - not to mention not having to carry around large sums of cash which is way more risky, IMO, than anyone stealing your card/bank info. I rarely have more than like $5 on me :lol:.[/QUOTE]
Don't get me wrong. I haven't paid one dime of interest yet on the card since I do pay off the balance as quickly as it posts. Besides which I've been making a good portion of my gaming purchases through Amazon with my credit there.;)

I tried to cash a check recently that I received for a game trade in and chase wanted to charge me $16 to cash CHASE check. The check was for 50 something dollars. fuck the "too big to fail" banks.

[quote name='Toss']I tried to cash a check recently that I received for a game trade in and chase wanted to charge me $16 to cash CHASE check. The check was for 50 something dollars. fuck the "too big to fail" banks.[/QUOTE]
Bank Of America wanted to charge me $7 PER CHECK to cash the 10 or more individual checks that BB's trade partner sent me a while ago for cash trades I did via the website.:roll: Each check was for $15 or so, so they wanted to take nearly 50% to cash a check drawn on their bank.:whistle2:#

So I created a checking account there for 2-3 months, withdrew the full balance out of it within the first week I had it open and then they closed the account without so much as a notice to tell me they were doing so. I guess cuz they couldn't stick me for any fees and as such I was an unprofitable account.:lol:

Like I said before, fuck them.

Does anyone know off hand if rage qualifies for the BB 5 preorders for 100 rz certificates? If so I might take advantage of the trade in deal Sunday

[quote name='razrvamp']Does anyone know off hand if rage qualifies for the BB 5 preorders for 100 rz certificates? If so I might take advantage of the trade in deal Sunday[/QUOTE]

Yes. I got it as one of my 5.

[quote name='razrvamp']Does anyone know off hand if rage qualifies for the BB 5 preorders for 100 rz certificates? If so I might take advantage of the trade in deal Sunday[/QUOTE]

Yes it is part of the 5 for $100 deal.

Potential Money Maker for those into that kind of stuff.

Driver San Francisco is trading for $28 if you have @gamer you can use the coupon to get a copy for both PS3 and Xbox 360 for $30 each. Add that with the extra 50% trade in credit from preordering Rage as well as the 10% from @gamer and you'll make 16.80 per copy of Driver.

Link for Driver's unadvertised price
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Driver+San+Francisco+-+Xbox+360/1092494.p;jsessionid=ABAA42C092B90E25AF8F6CD651A7B495.bbolsp-app06-19?id=1218220083676&skuId=1092494

yes it does

Its on the pamphlet I have for the buy 5 get $100 rz certificate.

Log into your Reward Zone/Gamer's Club membership page to see the more complete list linked below, but according to THIS page Rage is one of the qualifying games.

Here's the page with the more complete list(have to log-in to see it though):
https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/earning/offersandpromotions/info/0900a76f80038da9

Well now... so I participated in that beta program a couple of months back that came with that special disc version of Halo Reach (special meaning it wasn't the normal game disc, not actually special). Apparently after a title update on the 21st the disc no longer will work, but since I already owned Halo Reach and actually gave the beta program disc to a friend this really didn't affect me. The point? As an apology they sent out codes for the games on demand download version of the game, meaning free download of Halo Reach... Do I just keep the download and trade in my disc copy of Halo Reach for $25.60 after bonuses? I'm leaning towards yes...

Now if they would just add The Gunstringer to their trade in system damn it...

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Well now... so I participated in that beta program a couple of months back that came with that special disc version of Halo Reach (special meaning it wasn't the normal game disc, not actually special). Apparently after a title update on the 21st the disc no longer will work, but since I already owned Halo Reach and actually gave the beta program disc to a friend this really didn't affect me. The point? As an apology they sent out codes for the games on demand download version of the game, meaning free download of Halo Reach... Do I just keep the download and trade in my disc copy of Halo Reach for $25.60 after bonuses? I'm leaning towards yes...

Now if they would just add The Gunstringer to their trade in system damn it...[/QUOTE]

I cannot see bb taking in our busted ass looking copies of halo reach. Also, didn't get that email :((

[quote name='mgford11']I cannot see bb taking in our busted ass looking copies of halo reach. Also, didn't get that email :(([/QUOTE]

You need to take better care of your games if you have a busted copy of something...

[quote name='mgford11']I cannot see bb taking in our busted ass looking copies of halo reach. Also, didn't get that email :(([/QUOTE]

I specifically said I was thinking of trading in my original Halo Reach, I gave the beta disc to a friend.

My dilemma is whether or not $25.60 is worth not having the actual disc for the game in the future.

BBY - The SHADIEST OF ALL.

What a load of crap. traded in 3 games and pre-order NBA 2K12 and was told by shady employee that there is no such thing as a 50% bonus, only 40% bonus for pre-order.

BBY - Freaking stole $6 Washington from me.

fuck this!!!, I"m returning the damn pre-order

[quote name='Daring']BBY - The SHADIEST OF ALL.

What a load of crap. traded in 3 games and pre-order NBA 2K12 and was told by shady employee that there is no such thing as a 50% bonus, only 40% bonus for pre-order.

fuck this!!!, I"m returning the damn pre-order[/QUOTE]

Doesn't it not start until Sunday?

Yup;
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and no, they DO NOT stack !!!

Current Promos:

Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

It says right in the thread title that the offer starts 9/25.

Don't see how you missed 9/25-10/1 in the thread title. Depending on what you traded in you may have made out. With the way BB has been dropping its TIVs who knows how much money you would have lost by waiting.

[quote name='mgford11']Doesn't it not start until Sunday?

Yup;
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and no, they DO NOT stack !!!

Current Promos:

Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011[/QUOTE]

My Bad. Wasn't paying attention. But who really reads a title this long. All i see was the huge 50% bonus and a lot of posting of 50% extra trade in.

Buy you can't deny, BBY is still the Shadies retail business of them all.

[quote name='Daring']My Bad. Wasn't paying attention. But who really reads a title this long. All i see was the huge 50% bonus and a lot of posting of 50% extra trade in.

Buy you can't deny, BBY is still the Shadies retail business of them all.[/QUOTE]
:whistle2:s You didn't even read the whole title? Now THAT is lazy.;) Mind ya, the title coulda said 50% bonus STARTING 9/25.

But if ya read the posts from those of us getting the 50% bonus, you'd have seen that many of us were getting the 40% trade bonus for pre-ordering any game and the Gamers Club Unlocked 10%, totalling 50%.:)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']What can I say, I just don't trust banks as far as I can spit. They look for every chance they can get to nail ya with a fee. You don't do direct deposit: fee. You don't keep a minimum balance: fee. And so on and so forth.

Although I'm with a local lil bank chain and not one of the megalithic chains like Bank Of America.

Considering my only cc has a 24.9% interest rate on it, I'd rather not make too many larger purchases on it. It does have a rewards program, but like so many of the store based rewards/loyalty programs the points take forever to accrue to where they'd even be half useful.:roll::cry:[/QUOTE]

Get yourself a 5% card like this: http://www.aarpcreditcard.com/Default and churn that bad boy for all it's worth. Hell, even if you don't churn, you can probably get an extra 50/month just off of stuff you buy for flipping and ordinary expenses.

You are not the cheapest gamer if you are not saving 5% off the top of everything you buy after all the other bonuses ;)

[quote name='Daring']
Buy you can't deny, BBY is still the Shadies retail business of them all.[/QUOTE]

827873-gamestop_super.jpg

[quote name='DerClaw']Get yourself a 5% card like this: http://www.aarpcreditcard.com/Default and churn that bad boy for all it's worth. Hell, even if you don't churn, you can probably get an extra 50/month just off of stuff you buy for flipping and ordinary expenses.

You are not the cheapest gamer if you are not saving 5% off the top of everything you buy after all the other bonuses ;)[/QUOTE]
That's the thing though, I don't buy/flip a lot of stuff anymore.:razz:

And AARP. :rofl: Whaddya think I am....65? Damn kids. GET OFF MY LAWN!!

[quote name='RealDeals']
827873-gamestop_super.jpg
[/QUOTE]

If I wandered into a Gamestop and found the employee sleeping I would have no choice but to seriously rearrange something in the store. Like, moving the PS2 shelves or even just stacking every possible game on the counter (or around him, making a small castle of games).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's the thing though, I don't buy/flip a lot of stuff anymore.:razz:

And AARP. :rofl: Whaddya think I am....65? Damn kids. GET OFF MY LAWN!![/QUOTE]

When I first got the card, i didn't already have any credit and the first spending on it is like a mountain of bby and gs charges. I'm actually kind of shocked that I didn't get frozen, given the types of purchases I was making.

And you don't have to be 65 to be an aarp member. at least I'm not 65 and I have the card!

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Pretty sure we won't be hearing from the guy who was stupid enough to not check the date of the promotions, seems like he's been chewed out.[/QUOTE]

WTF Dumbass. You must be an idiot not to see my post afterward. POST# 497 fool. Your post was 5003.

Guess who wasn't also paying attention. to quote Ice Cube "Check yo self before you wreck yo self" fool.

[quote name='Daring']WTF Dumbass. You must be an idiot not to see my post afterward. POST# 497 fool. Your post was 5003.

Guess who wasn't also paying attention. to quote Ice Cube "Check yo self before you wreck yo self" fool.[/QUOTE]

Haha calm down kiddo.
:bouncy:

I traded a few games that got better value at Gamestop than Best Buy to GS with their buy any used game get 50% trade-in bonus promo. Every game I brought in had dropped since the quotes in the OP of the GS thread, but some were still worth it so I traded them anyway. I used that money to get that game someone mentioned a few pages back (thanks for that - would have never known!) and then traded that and a few other things to Best Buy. I preordered Kid Icarus this time for the 40% promo. Not sure I want that game at all, so I'll see how the reviews are before picking it up (whenever it comes out - gotta not forget I have that preorder ;)).

And now, all of a sudden, the 2 GS stores at the Mall are chock full of complete 99 cent PS2 games. WTF!? They had way more than when I was just getting a few samplers during the B2G2 sale. I still picked up a few to use as filler for the trade 3 promo - or if nothing else they will still trade for a slight premium (89 cents -> $1.10 without any promo). Still, wish I had found this stash during the B2G2 at GS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this is going to be a new thing but a cashier at my local BB just denied me in trying to buy a VISA gift card with my trade-in credit. He said, "we're not supposed to be selling these cards with that" as he was referring to my BB gift card.

I bought one yesterday just fine actually at a different BB. Hopefully my incident was just an isolated one and not a new corporate thing that is going to start being enforced nation wide.... i suppose if it is it was only a matter of time it was going to happen.

[quote name='Donut2922']Not sure if this is going to be a new thing but a cashier at my local BB just denied me in trying to buy a VISA gift card with my trade-in credit. He said, "we're not supposed to be selling these cards with that" as he was referring to my BB gift card.

I bought one yesterday just fine actually at a different BB. Hopefully my incident was just an isolated one and not a new corporate thing that is going to start being enforced nation wide.... i suppose if it is it was only a matter of time it was going to happen.[/QUOTE]
I know Walmart used to let me buy Visa card with their gc, then about a month later when I tried, they no longer let me. SO I wouldn't be surprised if it is a corporate change. Good thing is we still got Kindle card right? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back