Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hoos First']Anybody found the tiv for Gunstringer and Nicktoons MLB? Cant find them on the site.[/QUOTE]

Either you. Or someone els has consistently been asking this question. Anyway if you can't find the value on the site either by typing the name or upc then there isn't a value. It defaults to the generic $1

[quote name='Hoos First']Anybody found the tiv for Gunstringer and Nicktoons MLB? Cant find them on the site.[/QUOTE]
I went into Best Buy the other day with Gunstringer for a trade, and they told me it wasn't in their system at the store either.

I'm not sure about MLB, but perhaps the fact that the cover art has a portion of it advertising an included Fruit Ninja Kinect game (which likely wouldn't be included in a used game) is why Gunstringer is not listed.

[quote name='jgressley']I went into Best Buy the other day with Gunstringer for a trade, and they told me it wasn't in their system at the store either.

I'm not sure about MLB, but perhaps the fact that the cover art has a portion of it advertising an included Fruit Ninja Kinect game (which likely wouldn't be included in a used game) is why Gunstringer is not listed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks

[quote name='skateraXVIII']It's crazy how much somebody is willing to pay for something as simple as a character skin. It used to be that the developers would just include that kind of stuff in a game as an unlock but now they charge for it... and to think they're getting upset about people reselling used copies of games since they make no profit.:roll:[/QUOTE]

It really is.

I still love Mortal Kombat when people were going nuts for the classic skins. Amazon gave away Reptile and it sold for around 80-100$ the first month or so. I remember selling mine for like 70 then 2 weeks later they released it for free. Some people have no patience.

[quote name='xDerekRx']It really is.

I still love Mortal Kombat when people were going nuts for the classic skins. Amazon gave away Reptile and it sold for around 80-100$ the first month or so. I remember selling mine for like 70 then 2 weeks later they released it for free. Some parents have no patience with their kids.[/QUOTE]

Bolded a correction for you ;)

I had a lady buy my Hardened Edition of Black Ops for $150 so her son could play the zombie maps. I don't mind, I paid less than half that for it.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Bolded a correction for you ;)

I had a lady buy my Hardened Edition of Black Ops for $150 so her son could play the zombie maps. I don't mind, I paid less than half that for it.[/QUOTE]

I got two hardened editions from gohasting for $90 when amazon was offering $75 trade-in. To my surprise they came with the zombie codes. Sold those for $120 each. $90, turned into almost $400, that was a good day.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Bolded a correction for you ;)

I had a lady buy my Hardened Edition of Black Ops for $150 so her son could play the zombie maps. I don't mind, I paid less than half that for it.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty awesome! Good deal.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Either you. Or someone els has consistently been asking this question. Anyway if you can't find the value on the site either by typing the name or upc then there isn't a value. It defaults to the generic $1[/QUOTE]

I asked twice over the course of 3-4 days because no one responded and the thread was being flooded with "can I combined 8 different promotions and get a price match while canceling my pre-order and kicking a puppy?" questions.

[quote name='jgressley']I went into Best Buy the other day with Gunstringer for a trade, and they told me it wasn't in their system at the store either.

I'm not sure about MLB, but perhaps the fact that the cover art has a portion of it advertising an included Fruit Ninja Kinect game (which likely wouldn't be included in a used game) is why Gunstringer is not listed.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of games comes with content that won't end up in the used copies (any EA game with their online pass for example). Seems unlikely that they would simply decide to not do trade-ins for a major release for that reason. Really really unlikely. I'm guessing it is an over-site or error of some sort that it isn't listed, when I asked about it the other day the store associate was genuinely surprised it wasn't listed.

Just a note, Amazon is offering $20.25 for Gunstringer at the moment. I actually shot the Best Buy trade in people an email about it (making sure to point out that it was a major release and that Amazon is offering $20 for a title that they currently don't even have listed). I'll post if I hear back from them, I'd prefer to keep my credit at BB but in the meantime I went and locked in that trade value at AMZ.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple questions. You can get an extra 40% on trade-ins towards a pre-ordered game. If the combined total of the games I want to trade equals nearly $90, will they just put the whole $90 on a gift card? Or do they deduct the price of the pre-ordered game and give you the difference?

[quote name='krashhole']I have a couple questions. You can get an extra 40% on trade-ins towards a pre-ordered game. If the combined total of the games I want to trade equals nearly $90, will they just put the whole $90 on a gift card? Or do they deduct the price of the pre-ordered game and give you the difference?[/QUOTE]

They put $5 towards a preorder, the rest goes on a gift card.

[quote name='Scorch']They put $5 towards a preorder, the rest goes on a gift card.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info bro. I have never pre-ordered anything from BB, so I didn't know exactly how it worked.

[quote name='Scorch']They put $5 towards a preorder, the rest goes on a gift card.[/QUOTE]
I've never had it happen that way. Get pre-order slip, trade my games in, get a gift card and head to the checkout up front. That's the way it usually goes for me.

[quote name='GoVols']When you pre-order a game and want to get the free DLC, can't you just print out a pre-order tag in games section, then take it to cashier, make sure they have your name adress and e-mail correct, then pay $5. The code comes to you in e-mail on release day. i don't think you even have to scan your rewards zone to get DLC. Just make sure e-mail is in system. Correct????[/QUOTE]

That can't be right, I preordered about 5 GoW3 for various promotions and have not received codes for any of them other than the 1 I picked up.

[quote name='Evolved']I've never had it happen that way. Get pre-order slip, trade my games in, get a gift card and head to the checkout up front. That's the way it usually goes for me.[/QUOTE]
Both true. The full amount of the trade-ins goes on the gift card. You can pay the $5 for your pre-order any way you like. It doesn't have to be with the GC they just gave you. Hell, sometimes you don't have to pre-order at all. :lol:

[quote name='edson13']I got two hardened editions from gohasting for $90 when amazon was offering $75 trade-in. To my surprise they came with the zombie codes. Sold those for $120 each. $90, turned into almost $400, that was a good day.[/QUOTE]

You win by far! lol Sometimes it's luck to score those sweet codes in used games.

[quote name='Evolved']I've never had it happen that way. Get pre-order slip, trade my games in, get a gift card and head to the checkout up front. That's the way it usually goes for me.[/QUOTE]

OR, they put it all on a gift card, then process your preorder at the trade-in desk using whatever payment method you like (usually the gift card of course).

I can't imagine them just letting you go to the "front" to do the preorder. That is way too exploitable ;). I've done 5 or 6 preorder trades and every time they were very meticulous about not letting me touch the gift card before they rang up the preorder.

And that reminds me, I have 2 preorders to pick up: Kirby Mass Attack and DQMJ2. I will be canceling the latter since it costs $5 more than when I preordered it (was $29.99 on the kiosk just last week when I preordered). I can wait for the inevitable Amazon deal on that one.

Got my GoW3 DLC code via email day of release. I plan on preordering Batman AC for their DLC. I never knew you could get so much for DLC codes.

[quote name='nakanenui']Got my GoW3 DLC code via email day of release. I plan on preordering Batman AC for their DLC. I never knew you could get so much for DLC codes.[/QUOTE]

Did you preorder online or in store? I haven't picked my copy yet, but I heard people already got the DLC code. I haven't received anything from BB yet.

[quote name='willynateDgreat']I reserved my GOW3 copy the day before release, picked it up yesterday and haven't received anything yet either . . . hopefully it's not some weird glitch.[/QUOTE]

Did you make sure to have your RZ scanned during the preorder? Mine didn't and I think that's why I didn't get it. I might have to ask when I pick it up tomorrow.

So if they give me the 40% extra credit towards a pre-order, they will only take the $5 out and I can spend the rest on something else in the store?

[quote name='krashhole']So if they give me the 40% extra credit towards a pre-order, they will only take the $5 out and I can spend the rest on something else in the store?[/QUOTE]
correct.

So I went to trade some stuff in yesterday, grab Gears, and unlock the Gamer Club. I already recieved an email welcoming me to the Gamers Club. So I go to CS, pay for my Gears, and give him the coupon. He scans and everything goes through without a problem.

Go to trade the stuff in, says Im not in the Gamer Club. Heres the shitty part. Guy calls Reward Zone CS and gets transfered to Gamers Club. He was on hold after for about 45 minutes maybe more. Its was a 7 dollar difference with the 10%. I had shit to do and they were closing in an hour. Guy was cool about, called over the main dude I guess and he said when I come to pick up Batman to let one of the guys know and they will hook me with like 10% off it or something. Which is cool. Im glad they helped resolve it.

I also tho havent recieved my Mechanic Baird code. Really wanna get it.

[quote name='Abeja']So I went to trade some stuff in yesterday, grab Gears, and unlock the Gamer Club. I already recieved an email welcoming me to the Gamers Club. So I go to CS, pay for my Gears, and give him the coupon. He scans and everything goes through without a problem.

Go to trade the stuff in, says Im not in the Gamer Club. Heres the shitty part. Guy calls Reward Zone CS and gets transfered to Gamers Club. He was on hold after for about 45 minutes maybe more. Its was a 7 dollar difference with the 10%. I had shit to do and they were closing in an hour. Guy was cool about, called over the main dude I guess and he said when I come to pick up Batman to let one of the guys know and they will hook me with like 10% off it or something. Which is cool. Im glad they helped resolve it.

I also tho havent recieved my Mechanic Baird code. Really wanna get it.[/QUOTE]

So you were a Gamer's Club member already and had a subscription? Or only had a subscription? You can check your preorders online since they're doing the 5/$100 RZ deal. I think people who didn't have their RZ associated with their preorders weren't getting their DLC. Even if you're not interested in the 5/100 deal, you can still see if your preorder was associated with your RZ Gamer Club account.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']So you were a Gamer's Club member already and had a subscription? Or only had a subscription? You can check your preorders online since they're doing the 5/$100 RZ deal. I think people who didn't have their RZ associated with their preorders weren't getting their DLC. Even if you're not interested in the 5/100 deal, you can still see if your preorder was associated with your RZ Gamer Club account.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I signed up for Reward Zone, the mag sub, and preordered Gears all on the same day in like July. Even had the receipt with the day on there.

Also, I grabbed the Hunted with the @gamer coupon then traded it in to Blockbuster and got Lego Star War 3. (I think Brinks TIV was higher tho :/ )

Looks like the tradein estimator is backup.
Also looks like they got rid of multiple of the same game in the search engine (also got rid of upc under the game), still able to search via upc though.
Maybe they're overhauling their system again to make it faster for trading in.

[quote name='person123']Looks like the tradein estimator is backup.
Also looks like they got rid of multiple of the same game in the search engine (also got rid of upc under the game), still able to search via upc though.
Maybe they're overhauling their system again to make it faster for trading in.[/QUOTE]

What they should have done is just list the UPC's under the game that can be hidden. However I am glad not to see the multiples. Maybe they also fixed Trackmania's upc!

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']What they should have done is just list the UPC's under the game that can be hidden. However I am glad not to see the multiples. Maybe they also fixed Trackmania's upc![/QUOTE]
If I recall correctly people were saying Trackmania wasn't coming up in the system right?

I had a CAG come in to flip it the other day and although it didn't scan it I found it just by typing in the name. The search system on the employee's end needs the title to be almost exact otherwise it doesn't find anything.

Like that they got rid of the multiple listings.

Got an email back in regards to Gunstringer, but it was some basic generic response about looking into it.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Like that they got rid of the multiple listings.

Got an email back in regards to Gunstringer, but it was some basic generic response about looking into it.[/QUOTE]I am guessing that it will be much harder to trade multiples now.

This whole Baird code is a debacle for BB, people who didn't even pay for the game are getting codes while thousands of people who did pay aren't getting it.

This poor girl on those unboxed forums is having to PM people Baird codes after verifying their purchase. And I'm still waiting for mine so I can return my copy already. BB sucks lol.

[quote name='hustletron']This whole Baird code is a debacle for BB, people who didn't even pay for the game are getting codes while thousands of people who did pay aren't getting it.

This poor girl on those unboxed forums is having to PM people Baird codes after verifying their purchase. And I'm still waiting for mine so I can return my copy already. BB sucks lol.[/QUOTE]

Yup my Last dealing with them, it's just not worth it. They screwed up and gave me no reward credits for my Gears 3 purchase, but even thinking of calling them after my last two dealings with them is just too much effort, I feel lucky I got my game trade credit, Gears 3, and two Baird codes. The whole pre order was nightmare and took almost two hours.

[quote name='musicjunkie']If I recall correctly people were saying Trackmania wasn't coming up in the system right?

I had a CAG come in to flip it the other day and although it didn't scan it I found it just by typing in the name. The search system on the employee's end needs the title to be almost exact otherwise it doesn't find anything.[/QUOTE]

Well I had a guy from customer service handle it, so it was going to get rejected if it didn't match up perfectly. They only have 1 gaming guy now since the other guy left, so I need to do it when he's there. Or I can try a different store when I'm out of town. I just need to show him, there's only 1 Trackmania for the Wii.

[quote name='io']OR, they put it all on a gift card, then process your preorder at the trade-in desk using whatever payment method you like (usually the gift card of course).

I can't imagine them just letting you go to the "front" to do the preorder. That is way too exploitable ;). I've done 5 or 6 preorder trades and every time they were very meticulous about not letting me touch the gift card before they rang up the preorder.

[/QUOTE]
Well that's how it always been for me. I've never paid for a pre-order at the game desk or before I traded in games.

[quote name='hustletron']This whole Baird code is a debacle for BB, people who didn't even pay for the game are getting codes while thousands of people who did pay aren't getting it.

This poor girl on those unboxed forums is having to PM people Baird codes after verifying their purchase. And I'm still waiting for mine so I can return my copy already. BB sucks lol.[/QUOTE]

What I can't figure out is why didn't they setup the system so you scan the game for purchase then scan the preorder and it becomes a discount. After that, you have the code printed on the receipt, and if RZ member, it's also emailed to you. That just sounds like a better system to me. People who didn't purchase don't get the code, and no one has to wonder how to do a preorder because the system handles it.

Just got my orders from Gamefly in...4 DNF, 4 MVC3, and 3 Homefronts....those with gamers unlocked should pay for my GOW3 preorder and give me some change back....Even with all the headaches BB is causing im saving money by working their TIV's and my closest store is 5 minutes away so i dont mind multiple trips down there....i was thinking if everyone keeps their receipts and actually picked up all of the preorders in the promotion period there really shouldnt be a problem with matching up that we ordered 5 picked up in 5 days of release...or am i missing something...and whats the gripe with the codes....are they really that important or is it to cash in on selling them asap.... ?

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']What I can't figure out is why didn't they setup the system so you scan the game for purchase then scan the preorder and it becomes a discount. After that, you have the code printed on the receipt, and if RZ member, it's also emailed to you. That just sounds like a better system to me. People who didn't purchase don't get the code, and no one has to wonder how to do a preorder because the system handles it.[/QUOTE]

My cynical side says because that would have made too much sense and BB doesn't care about their customers since they are the only retailer of their kind now that Circuite city is done, but it's only a matter of time till BB goes the way they did with how they are running things.

My understanding side says it's because they are relatively new to all this preorder and preorder bonus stuff, but regardless, they dropped the ball big time.

This is one of the exact reasons why I don't deal with best buy and have no problem getting as much money out of their trade in program as posssible. I went to pick up my Gears copy yesterday and the same kid that always gives me shit about trading in games is at the customer service counter where I need to pick up my game.

Kid is the only one working the counter and he's off on the computer by the geek squad guys, 6 employees all around me and I'm just standing there looking like an asshole, then he finally sees me and walks over.

He's going through some kind of list and says he doesn't see my name so he has to ask a manager, the list he's going through was the list of people for the midnight launch, obviously I wasn't there for the midnight launch............it's just embarrassing how terrible and clueless the employees are and that's just my best buy.

Factor in all the best buys in the country and how employees were telling customers the Baird code was printed on the receipt or it was packaged in the game, it's just pathetic.

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']Just got my orders from Gamefly in...4 DNF, 4 MVC3, and 3 Homefronts....those with gamers unlocked should pay for my GOW3 preorder and give me some change back....Even with all the headaches BB is causing im saving money by working their TIV's and my closest store is 5 minutes away so i dont mind multiple trips down there....i was thinking if everyone keeps their receipts and actually picked up all of the preorders in the promotion period there really shouldnt be a problem with matching up that we ordered 5 picked up in 5 days of release...or am i missing something...and whats the gripe with the codes....are they really that important or is it to cash in on selling them asap.... ?[/QUOTE]

It's the principal of the thing, the ONLY draw anyone has to go to best buy to buy this game is the Baird DLC code because that's the only way of picking it up without paying extra, and then they manage to drop the ball, people could have gone else where to buy the game without the head ache.

Me personally, I'm not flipping the codes I'm actually using them because I'm a Gears fan, I could have waited a month for the code, the only issue I'd run into is carrying the charge on my card until I could return the copy, luckily I got my code today and my best buy is 5 minutes from my work.

[quote name='Evolved']Well that's how it always been for me. I've never paid for a pre-order at the game desk or before I traded in games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, I guess they don't like me ;). Seriously, though, it has been very clear that all the game reps were trained to make sure the preorders happen immediately as I've dealt with at least 4 different people and they all do the preorder at the game desk. You just have a lenient store or district manager. I've also never been able to pull of the "I already preordered something" trick that many here seem to get away with (where they can make one preorder and keep getting 40% for future trades because of that).

One time I tried to preorder something that was just coming out in a few days and it no longer showed in the system as a preorder. I thought maybe in this case they'd just let it go (since it took 20 minutes of them screwing around to figure out they couldn't preorder it any more) and let me just buy it when it came out. But no, in that case what they did was have me log into my bestbuy.com account and they ordered the game for me for the full price (using my trade-in gift card) with delivery to my house. Yeah, that was pretty bizarre. Of course I just canceled the order online when I got home ;). I wasn't going to wait for "value" shipping to get me the game 1 week after it came out.

I have been on hold for 73 minutes 38 seconds and counting. Some POS answered and was like hold on one second and put me back on hold at the 38 minute mark. I am ending this call and promptly taking the console and game back to the store. fuck bestbuy

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back