Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... was thinking about trying to price match toys r' us $25 gift card deal with X-men Destiny today but it isn't showing up in the trade-in estimator yet so I'll hold off for a bit longer I guess (don't want to get stuck not being able to trade it back in like Gunstringer). Looks like none of today's releases are up yet, so I'd say expect an update soon.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Hmmm... was thinking about trying to price match toys r' us $25 gift card deal with X-men Destiny today but it isn't showing up in the trade-in estimator yet so I'll hold off for a bit longer I guess (don't want to get stuck not being able to trade it back in like Gunstringer). Looks like none of today's releases are up yet, so I'd say expect an update soon.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with trying to get them to PM. I'm sure it's YMMV but my BB will not PM anything with a gift card, just a set price. Either way I wouldn't expect a high trade in for X-Men, GOW is only $29(or $43.50 with the 50% promo) and that just came out this week.

[quote name='blazenumb1']Good luck with trying to get them to PM. I'm sure it's YMMV but my BB will not PM anything with a gift card, just a set price. Either way I wouldn't expect a high trade in for X-Men, GOW is only $29(or $43.50 with the 50% promo) and that just came out this week.[/QUOTE]

Dude, wtf are you talking about?!?!

43.50 is probably the most you are ever going to get for a trade in!!!

Before BB, the highest I've seen any game TIV was $40 for COD:BO from amazon and $40.50 for Gears 3...

Considering most of us got a $20 gift card w/ the game, this TIV pretty much amounts to more than a free rental.

Traded in about 11 games today. Got to say I was pretty impressed with how quick and painless it was. Decided not to do the whole Visa thing after all since I didn't know about the $6 fee.. add that on to the $5 for the pre-order and that's already $11 hit. I'll just wait for Best Buy to do a B1G1 50% off sale hopefully..

I don't disagree with the math you guys are throwing out there with the activation fee, but for me personally I appreciate that the visa card allows me to get closer to reward zone silver and also allows me to use it at alternative locations if necessary.

[quote name='aznhero913']Dude, wtf are you talking about?!?!

43.50 is probably the most you are ever going to get for a trade in!!!

Before BB, the highest I've seen any game TIV was $40 for COD:BO from amazon and $40.50 for Gears 3...

Considering most of us got a $20 gift card w/ the game, this TIV pretty much amounts to more than a free rental.[/QUOTE]

Not quite sure you understood what I was saying. Wasn't knocking the TIV by any means, let him know it would be difficult to have BB PM TRU.

[quote name='bgame2']I don't disagree with the math you guys are throwing out there with the activation fee, but for me personally I appreciate that the visa card allows me to get closer to reward zone silver and also allows me to use it at alternative locations if necessary.[/QUOTE]

I think that the "use at other locations" is the only reason to get them, and even then only if you are one of us icky flipper people. Considering it as a 3% loss, if you are flipping you sure better be flipping for more than 3% and then just using it as purchasing a GC to other places. Pretty much right now, I use it as a "gift card" to BBV or Walmart.

Otherwise it's not worth it, IMO, unless there is some great thing associated with silver that I'm not aware of.

[quote name='DerClaw']I think that the "use at other locations" is the only reason to get them, and even then only if you are one of us icky flipper people. Considering it as a 3% loss, if you are flipping you sure better be flipping for more than 3% and then just using it as purchasing a GC to other places. Pretty much right now, I use it as a "gift card" to BBV or Walmart.

Otherwise it's not worth it, IMO, unless there is some great thing associated with silver that I'm not aware of.[/QUOTE]

Most of the perks are "better" customer service, 45 days to price match, and 1.25 RZ points instead of just 1 for each dollar.

[quote name='blazenumb1']Good luck with trying to get them to PM. I'm sure it's YMMV but my BB will not PM anything with a gift card, just a set price. Either way I wouldn't expect a high trade in for X-Men, GOW is only $29(or $43.50 with the 50% promo) and that just came out this week.[/QUOTE]

I've done it several times in the last few weeks with no real issue (especially at one store) and I also said TRYING, don't get why any time someone says they are thinking of trying something so many people on here feel the need to jump in and tell them that it probably won't work.

At this point I feel I can pretty much guarantee a 40-50% trade in bonus on most occasions, and if a game cost $60, and I get a $25 gift card, and pay for it with a GC, I actually only paid $35 for the game. If the game has a... lets say $24 trade in value (lower end of the average for new releases), and I get a 50% trade in bonus I end up with $36 in GC credit. Hell, it's like getting paid a dollar to play the game.

That said, it still isn't showing up on their trade in system, so blah.

[quote name='blazenumb1']Not quite sure you understood what I was saying. Wasn't knocking the TIV by any means, let him know it would be difficult to have BB PM TRU.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:#:whistle2:#

oops....

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I've done it several times in the last few weeks with no real issue (especially at one store) and I also said TRYING, don't get why any time someone says they are thinking of trying something so many people on here feel the need to jump in and tell them that it probably won't work.

At this point I feel I can pretty much guarantee a 40-50% trade in bonus on most occasions, and if a game cost $60, and I get a $25 gift card, and pay for it with a GC, I actually only paid $35 for the game. If the game has a... lets say $24 trade in value (lower end of the average for new releases), and I get a 50% trade in bonus I end up with $36 in GC credit. Hell, it's like getting paid a dollar to play the game.

That said, it still isn't showing up on their trade in system, so blah.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't trying to discourage, just sharing my experience. If you don't mind me asking though, how where you able to get them to PM? I spoke with the store manager at the BB near me and he kept saying their policy prohibited them from matching gift cards(only set prices). I actually canceled my pre-order from them in favor of Amazon because they would not match Kmart's $20 coupon.

[quote name='blazenumb1']Wasn't trying to discourage, just sharing my experience. If you don't mind me asking though, how where you able to get them to PM? I spoke with the store manager at the BB near me and he kept saying their policy prohibited them from matching gift cards(only set prices). I actually canceled my pre-order from them in favor of Amazon because they would not match Kmart's $20 coupon.[/QUOTE]

There "policy" says they don't but of course it is still up the manager. Had one manager who had absolutely no issue with it, his response was more or less, "Yeah, why wouldn't we?" The other one the manager said yeah but said "But you can't use your reward zone card." I laughed and said, "okay" and just added the purchase on the site afterwards. :lol:

I know the people who work in the gaming section at one BB fairly well. Chit chat with them for a while almost every time I go in. It does help that I'm a regular customer.

Point being, there is nothing actually preventing them from giving you the PM, other than their desire to do so.

Some how my 36 ps2 games turned to $80 w rage pre-order. Haha not sure what happened but im not complaining. And i didnt know we get free upgrade to anarchy version @ bb. Good surprise.

[quote name='kouleefoh']Some how my 36 ps3 games turned to $80 w rage pre-order. Haha not sure what happened but im not complaining. And i didnt know we get free upgrade to anarchy version @ bb. Good surprise.[/QUOTE]

36 games = only $80? Was each game only worth $1.40? I hope this is a typo, lol.

So according to the current promotions, looks like all the trade bonus promos are ending this saturday. You guys think they will extend the trade 3/30 or the preorder/40 promos?

^^^ Yeah, that is sort of key, isn't it? We need at least the trade 3 promo to keep running...

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']Most of the perks are "better" customer service, 45 days to price match, and 1.25 RZ points instead of just 1 for each dollar.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DerClaw']I think that the "use at other locations" is the only reason to get them, and even then only if you are one of us icky flipper people. Considering it as a 3% loss, if you are flipping you sure better be flipping for more than 3% and then just using it as purchasing a GC to other places. Pretty much right now, I use it as a "gift card" to BBV or Walmart.

Otherwise it's not worth it, IMO, unless there is some great thing associated with silver that I'm not aware of.[/QUOTE]

I totally forgot about the 25% bonus on RZ points. So that's yet another reason for me to use the Visa on Best Buy purchases. The thing is, I'm not sure I'll have many more the rest of this year...

For me, though, the biggest perk (for Silver RZ status that is) is free shipping at bestbuy.com. When they had all those games for $2.99 I could order any number of them and get free shipping. So when I found out about one I could order it right away before it went out of stock. Then I could order more later. Yeah, I know there was some roundabout way of getting free shipping during that sale, but that was probably a one time thing and it was much less hassle to be able to order straight up.

But yeah, DerClaw, I kind of wish I had had the Visa for the last BBV sale as now my regular credit cards are coming due for that sale - it ain't pretty ;). But that reminds me that I should probably get another one while I can and save it for the next sale.

DAMMIT!!! :bomb: I just checked my RZ account and it doesn't look like the use of VISA GCs will earn me RZ pts. They act just like BB GCs. Those that are saying they are earning points are lucky. I don't even think they would help me reach Silver.

[quote name='phantomphoenix']DAMMIT!!! :bomb: I just checked my RZ account and it doesn't look like the use of VISA GCs will earn me RZ pts. They act just like BB GCs. Those that are saying they are earning points are lucky. I don't even think they would help me reach Silver.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, reading the past few pages doesn't make much sense. It's not giving points for the majority of the people who've attempted it, so why is everyone assuming it counts towards Silver?

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Yeah, reading the past few pages doesn't make much sense. It's not giving points for the majority of the people who've attempted it, so why is everyone assuming it counts towards Silver?[/QUOTE]
They probably don't know what they are looking at, or are interpreting it incorrectly. I guess "spend" $2500 means cash or credit/debit card only. No prepaid GCs. I guess BB can tell it's a prepaid GC. I just didn't think merchants would be able to tell and would treat it like a credit card. Oh wellz. It was worth the 10 points I didn't earn to learn for myself. :D

[quote name='Velo214']just brought in 8 games, got almost 200 credit. woot. glad tiv's held. hope they do even longer for the rest of ya.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I am really surprised the values are holding with all the opportunities... Maybe this means no more promos after 10/1. :cry:

[quote name='Vader582']Good God. That still seems kinda low. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I think he traded a bunch of crappy old disc-only sports games that he got for 99 cents and B2G2 from Gamestop. So, actually, it is kind of high ;). (After PUR and B2G2 the games cost about 45 cents meaning nearly 3x profit by turning them into $1.40)

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Yeah, reading the past few pages doesn't make much sense. It's not giving points for the majority of the people who've attempted it, so why is everyone assuming it counts towards Silver?[/QUOTE]

I figured the Visa was a Visa and would count. It makes sense. But then when I did use it at Petsmart it showed me the balance on the receipt so that is like a gift card. Oh well, no biggie - I'll just use them elsewhere. I suppose I could use the Visa everywhere else and use a regular credit card at Best Buy in a 1:1 fashion for the games. That seems kind of strange but I suppose it would all work out in the end ;).

Still, my RZ account shows no transactions at all (0 points or otherwise) - I guess no one else is having this problem? Looks like I'm going to have to give them a call.

[quote name='Velo214']just brought in 8 games, got almost 200 credit. woot. glad tiv's held. hope they do even longer for the rest of ya.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='phantomphoenix']Yeah, I am really surprised the values are holding with all the opportunities... Maybe this means no more promos after 10/1. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am hoping ONE more day b/c I might not be able to get there today. After this week we may be in a drought unless they add some more Promos.

the dude at my store was super helpful today. I think he felt bad for my troubles with the unlocked coupon, but he gave me 50% for rage(even tho i told him i already had it preordered) + 10% unlocked. i traded 2x 360 and ps3 of two games and he could care less about the multiples. he kept talking to me about a bestbuy gaming supervisor convention they flew him to and he was showing me cell pix of him and kevin butler and telling me he played 007 remake and bf3 and batman. he then gave me driver for 30 w coupon and gow origins and sotc/ico for 60. woot. good day.

[quote name='Vader582']Good God. That still seems kinda low. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]
LIke the other guy said, it's actually kinda high! haha higher than I expected, I thought Im coming out with $1 per game, but some of them are $4 games. =P.

[quote name='io']^^^ Yeah, that is sort of key, isn't it? We need at least the trade 3 promo to keep running...

I totally forgot about the 25% bonus on RZ points. So that's yet another reason for me to use the Visa on Best Buy purchases. The thing is, I'm not sure I'll have many more the rest of this year...

For me, though, the biggest perk (for Silver RZ status that is) is free shipping at bestbuy.com. When they had all those games for $2.99 I could order any number of them and get free shipping. So when I found out about one I could order it right away before it went out of stock. Then I could order more later. Yeah, I know there was some roundabout way of getting free shipping during that sale, but that was probably a one time thing and it was much less hassle to be able to order straight up.

But yeah, DerClaw, I kind of wish I had had the Visa for the last BBV sale as now my regular credit cards are coming due for that sale - it ain't pretty ;). But that reminds me that I should probably get another one while I can and save it for the next sale.[/QUOTE]
If you don't wanna have to spend $2500 in a year at BB in order to keep the RZ Silver to get the free shipping, you could always use THIS link.;)

how 2 convert BB credit to GS credit??

i have a b2g1 free coupon expiring next month from GS and this is the only way to use it >.>

can anyone find the best use of converting $120 bb to gs buying their used games or something?

or should i just get visa gift card

[quote name='Cysquatch']$25, $50, and $100[/QUOTE]
They have a $100 Kindle/Amazon gift card? I've only ever seen the $25/$50 ones. It would've been more convenient to grab ONE of those as opposed to 2-3 $25's or $50's.;)

[quote name='akuma77']how 2 convert BB credit to GS credit??

i have a b2g1 free coupon expiring next month from GS and this is the only way to use it >.>

can anyone find the best use of converting $120 bb to gs buying their used games or something?

or should i just get visa gift card[/QUOTE]

Search function, dont ask questions that have been asked a million times.
Also gamestop has a website now! Bestbuy has an online Estimator!
Use them.

Posted Earlier:
History Great Medieval Battles.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Search function, dont ask questions that have been asked a million times.
Also gamestop has a website now! Bestbuy has an online Estimator!
Use them.

Posted Earlier:
History Great Medieval Battles.[/QUOTE]
Actually they asked how to move BB credit to GS, so really the answer would be to check the GS tiv thread on CAG and cross reference it to the current games on sale at BB to see if anything is decent to transfer credit back to GS.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They have a $100 Kindle/Amazon gift card? I've only ever seen the $25/$50 ones. It would've been more convenient to grab ONE of those as opposed to 2-3 $25's or $50's.;)[/QUOTE]

I could've sworn I saw one $100 kindle card left on the rack when I picked up some kindle cards last week. I could be imagining things though.

i had to grab 16 50's a few weeks ago. it was fantastic cuz they didn't activate one. so that was a pain in the ass to go back and convince them i didn't steal the unactivated card...

[quote name='Velo214']the dude at my store was super helpful today. I think he felt bad for my troubles with the unlocked coupon, but he gave me 50% for rage(even tho i told him i already had it preordered) + 10% unlocked. i traded 2x 360 and ps3 of two games and he could care less about the multiples. he kept talking to me about a bestbuy gaming supervisor convention they flew him to and he was showing me cell pix of him and kevin butler and telling me he played 007 remake and bf3 and batman. he then gave me driver for 30 w coupon and gow origins and sotc/ico for 60. woot. good day.[/QUOTE]

Does the crestwood BB usually make you preorder again? That is awful.

I picked up 16 $25 kindle GC's last week. I took the last few at the first BBY and at the second BBY the guy just asked asked me if I liked to read.

Crap, i traded in some games today and i just noticed i didn't get my 10% unlocked bonus. Only lost like 6 bucks so I'm not to distraught. Anyway, i hope they add another 50% pre-order bonus after this Saturday. I think we all have gotten spoiled with these offers lol

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Crap, i traded in some games today and i just noticed i didn't get my 10% unlocked bonus. Only lost like 6 bucks so I'm not to distraught. Anyway, i hope they add another 50% pre-order bonus after this Saturday. I think we all have gotten spoiled with these offers lol[/QUOTE]

Seems really likely. Hopefully they do one on Skyrim or BF3

Traded in some games for the first time today. Really nice people and easy service. I almost felt like I stole something...

I was looked at funny when I asked for 5 $50 Kindle Cards and a $25 one. No one could get them to ring up though and the manager figured it was a "bad batch."

[quote name='musicjunkie']Yes and yes. Done it tons of times.

Only thing currently where PC games will not work is the Preorder 5/$100 cert deal.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ceve2001']Yes, you can pre-order games. I have pre-ordered Batman before and they gave me the extra discount. As far as DLC goes. It will tell you on the kiosk if it's included.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, thanks. Gonna trade in some games for that 50% bonus with NBA 2k12... PC. =D

[quote name='Gamer4life88'] Anyway, i hope they add another 50% pre-order bonus after this Saturday. I think we all have gotten spoiled with these offers lol[/QUOTE]
I have a feeling there will be a 50% bonus for picking up RAGE/NBA maybe.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually they asked how to move BB credit to GS, so really the answer would be to check the GS tiv thread on CAG and cross reference it to the current games on sale at BB to see if anything is decent to transfer credit back to GS.;)[/QUOTE]

WELL now I feel like an ass.

I'm so used to seeing the same questions in this thread, when someone references GS it's an instant reaction.

Been busy at work, but managed to stop and grab a couple of games from bbv in order to trade them into BB and officially be "even" on the unlocked thing. Always feels better once I do that. Hopefully the NEXT time they do this 50% thing, I won't be so busy. Have missed out on the previous one, as well as the ps2 thing.

BB really needs to make their sales correspond to my work schedule better.

[quote name='DerClaw']Been busy at work, but managed to stop and grab a couple of games from bbv in order to trade them into BB and officially be "even" on the unlocked thing. Always feels better once I do that. Hopefully the NEXT time they do this 50% thing, I won't be so busy. Have missed out on the previous one, as well as the ps2 thing.

BB really needs to make their sales correspond to my work schedule better.[/QUOTE]

Or you could quit your job and game trade fulltime :lol:

[quote name='tepro']Or you could quit your job and game trade fulltime :lol:[/QUOTE]

If I could get my mortgage-holder to take payment in amazon gift cards this could be doable ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back