Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']This is why I have no issues with cancelling the pre-orders I've just made a week earlier and not keeping one dime of the credit I'm getting from BB at BB.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I cancelled my GOW preorder with them last week and will most likely cancel my other with Rage. Funny enough though they still sent me my DLC for GOW after I cancelled it, wonder if they will do the same with Rage.

[quote name='chuckywang']Does BB even sell Kindle cards in FL?[/QUOTE]
Yes, they do. I just bought some earlier this week and I'm just south of Orlando area.

Well Homefront is still a "small" flip. I bought 6 copies (3 each) for $77.94. They turned into $96 bby credit. So I tossed in an extra 4, and bought a $100 in Amazon giftcards. So They still turned $18 profit. You just have to flip larger amounts now to get good results. 1 game = $3 profit......6 games = $18 profit. You just need to think in volume now is all.

[quote name='kingwormer']Well Homefront is still a "small" flip. I bought 6 copies (3 each) for $77.94. They turned into $96 bby credit. So I tossed in an extra 4, and bought a $100 in Amazon giftcards. So They still turned $18 profit. You just have to flip larger amounts now to get good results. 1 game = $3 profit......6 games = $18 profit. You just need to think in volume now is all.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for screwing it up for all of us.

You can't just be a casual flipper so you can play a game? You have to make less then minimum wage for the effort?

Volume is exactly what will screw it for you and for the casual game flipper.

Hellloooo

[quote name='kaseius']Is there a way to do a trade-in from their website which you then take into the store? Basically, locking-in a trade value?[/QUOTE]

good question but I doubt if there is a way somebody will tell you. They do not want it to be ruined.

If you find out PM me and I will do the same...:)

On a side note, has anyone heard or seen if Best Buy will have a new 50% promo after this weekend? There are some games I want to order to flip.....very leery of it though not knowing what the future holds. My best guess would be a 50% for Batman will start.....but that's just a guess. Any employee around here?

[quote name='JungleRot']good question but I doubt if there is a way somebody will tell you. They do not want it to be ruined.

If you find out PM me and I will do the same...:)[/QUOTE]

Or you could just read the FAQ on the first page.

I expect when we get the scans in for next week, we will know if there are any more trade in promos. They are all set to expire Saturday.

On a side note, the recent drops have me bummed, I should have traded in Driver SF earlier. :(

[quote name='kingwormer']Well Homefront is still a "small" flip. I bought 6 copies (3 each) for $77.94. They turned into $96 bby credit. So I tossed in an extra 4, and bought a $100 in Amazon giftcards. So They still turned $18 profit. You just have to flip larger amounts now to get good results. 1 game = $3 profit......6 games = $18 profit. You just need to think in volume now is all.[/QUOTE]

With business smarts like that, I'm shocked you're not running best buy.

[quote name='confoosious']With business smarts like that, I'm shocked you're not running best buy.[/QUOTE]

Just think of the possibilities if he traded in a 1000 at a time.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Just think of the possibilities if he traded in a 1000 at a time.[/QUOTE]
Ah but if he could get his hands on 3001 copies his profit would be...OVER 9000!!!

Yeah, sorry about that, carry on.

I mean, if you have them what else are you going to do with them? I try to keep the flips to stuff that is at or around 10 bucks apiece though, since trading with BB is such a pain and I'd hate for the straw that broke BB's back to be something like a 3 dollar flip.

[quote name='foreinter']Driver San Francisco TIV dropped to $16 and Homefront Dropped to $10. Good job guys.[/QUOTE]

Did you take to long to get your trades prepared ?

[quote name='foreinter']Driver San Francisco TIV dropped to $16 and Homefront Dropped to $10. Good job guys.[/QUOTE]

??? heh? Homefront was on for like 2 weeks.

Yeah I traded a disc only of Homefront like 2 weeks ago. Was gonna do the Driver flip but I might grab it and try to resell it. IDK.

Hi, I had a question about the trade-in values given in store vs. what is quoted online. I just traded in deus ex: HR for the xbox 360 and got $23 base trade-in. The value listed online is $24. I asked the guy about it and he said sometimes the values in store would differ from the values listed online and that they update their values everyday at noon.

I didn't push the issue cos it was only a dollar difference, but I just checked bestbuy's website and the value is still listed as $24. Has anyone ever experienced a discrepancy between the trade-in value you got in store vs what was listed online? Thanks.

Everyone knows that these values can drop at any time. If you're going to flip you have to be faster next time around and accept that there is the risk that you might end up losing money.

[quote name='Toss']??? heh? Homefront was on for like 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Where was homefront less then $16.00-$18.00 to buy two weeks ago?

Did I miss that one?

I just joined again after a long hiatus.

[quote name='kaseius']Is there a way to do a trade-in from their website which you then take into the store? Basically, locking-in a trade value?[/QUOTE]
No,you can only lock in a trade value online.It's on the OP,on the F.A.Q.

glad i flipped 4 of my homefronts yesterday. makes a $40 difference between 15 each and 25 each.
also i end up just keeping these good games for 30 like driver and deus ex, so i dont mind when the tiv's go down. now god of war collection, i can plat these uberfast. homefront expert of war you have to complete every weapon/vehicle/drone/mode challenge, now that will take some time. that's my last trophy on that one. luckily lots of other tivs didnt change, so fingers crossed.
n yeah awd had homefront for 13 for last few weeks, but i think it was the gamefly sale that pushed it over the brink... oh god brink, what a bad game. lol(jk)

[quote name='blazenumb1']That's f'ing amazing! Just received my order from Amazon warehouse today for 2 copies of Homefront I was going to trade them in when it was still $16 a piece and $24 if used the promo. Had planned on building on to the BB credit I currently have so I would have enough to qualify for their "pre-order and buy 5 games and get a $100 gift card. However, this is enough to make me just stick with Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I know this wasn't your intention but I read this wrong and it paid off. I thought by saying "just stick with Amazon" that you meant trading Homefront in there instead (but I see now you meant for preorders). As for trading, though, read below...

[quote name='nakanenui']I figured Homefront was going to drop. Still make a minor profit on the copies from Amazon. Not great as if it was before dropping to $10, but a BB->AMZ->BB flip for profit is still better than having to use cash. AMZ 2-day turned into 3-day, had I got my games yesterday I wouldnt be losing out $30.
[/QUOTE]

Well, assuming you bought the PS3 version (as I did - expecting them today), Amazon currently offers $20.25 for them ;). Yeah, so maybe it isn't as good as $16 + bonus at Best Buy, but I'll take it. It is much better than the $16 (with no bonus) I had locked in online at Best Buy (which was my backup if the values dropped - always have a backup that at least gets you even if not better!).

[quote name='Oi Stino']Hi, I had a question about the trade-in values given in store vs. what is quoted online. I just traded in deus ex: HR for the xbox 360 and got $23 base trade-in. The value listed online is $24. I asked the guy about it and he said sometimes the values in store would differ from the values listed online and that they update their values everyday at noon.

I didn't push the issue cos it was only a dollar difference, but I just checked bestbuy's website and the value is still listed as $24. Has anyone ever experienced a discrepancy between the trade-in value you got in store vs what was listed online? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

This is not true at all. I would complain to a manager. First they do not update during store hours unless it is a special circumstance. Second it is NVER different in store then it is online...it is the same system.

[quote name='Oi Stino']Hi, I had a question about the trade-in values given in store vs. what is quoted online. I just traded in deus ex: HR for the xbox 360 and got $23 base trade-in. The value listed online is $24. I asked the guy about it and he said sometimes the values in store would differ from the values listed online and that they update their values everyday at noon.

I didn't push the issue cos it was only a dollar difference, but I just checked bestbuy's website and the value is still listed as $24. Has anyone ever experienced a discrepancy between the trade-in value you got in store vs what was listed online? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

It's listed at $23 on the Video Games Value Estimator. Be sure to use the seperate "pop-up" estimator as opposed to estimator integrated on the best buy video game page.

[quote name='JungleRot']This is not true at all. I would complain to a manager. First they do not update during store hours unless it is a special circumstance. Second it is NVER different in store then it is online...it is the same system.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I don't know if I want to go back just to dispute $1.50 (with the Rage pre-order bonus) but it's nice to know the guy was wrong so I can dispute it in the future if I run into a similar situation.

[quote name='cheapfrag']It's listed at $23 on the Video Games Value Estimator. Be sure to use the seperate "pop-up" estimator as opposed to estimator integrated on the best buy video game page.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks. Good to know.

[quote name='io']Well, assuming you bought the PS3 version (as I did - expecting them today), Amazon currently offers $20.25 for them ;). Yeah, so maybe it isn't as good as $16 + bonus at Best Buy, but I'll take it. It is much better than the $16 (with no bonus) I had locked in online at Best Buy (which was my backup if the values dropped - always have a backup that at least gets you even if not better!).[/QUOTE]

Thanks io. I had bought one to play the single player campaign (which is short) and then trade into BB. I was still going to do that but 20.15 is better than 16!

EDIT - and I know that 20.25 is a new price... it was $8 when I checked recently (this morning)

[quote name='io']
Well, assuming you bought the PS3 version (as I did - expecting them today), Amazon currently offers $20.25 for them ;). Yeah, so maybe it isn't as good as $16 + bonus at Best Buy, but I'll take it. It is much better than the $16 (with no bonus) I had locked in online at Best Buy (which was my backup if the values dropped - always have a backup that at least gets you even if not better!).[/QUOTE]

Yeah I got the :ps3: version. Actually got them off Amazon Warehouse, so just locked in 2 back to Amazon. 26->40, much better than getting BB credit. Thank for the info IO. I always forget that *sometimes* Amazon will have a great TIV.

[quote name='nakanenui']Yeah I got the :ps3: version. Actually got them off Amazon Warehouse, so just locked in 2 back to Amazon. 26->40, much better than getting BB credit. Thank for the info IO. I always forget that *sometimes* Amazon will have a great TIV.[/QUOTE]

Yep thanks as well to th OP. I locked in my two.

^^ OP? ;)

[quote name='cheapfrag']Thanks io. I had bought one to play the single player campaign (which is short) and then trade into BB. I was still going to do that but 20.15 is better than 16!

EDIT - and I know that 20.25 is a new price... it was $8 when I checked recently (this morning)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is a bit strange. The 360 version is just $8 so it didn't make much sense, but I'll take it ;).

Since I don't have to rush to get them into a Best Buy store, maybe I'll play through it as well. Much better all around to go to Amazon when you have the chance (a week to play the game before shipping it off, no 20 mile RT to Best Buy, no 20-40 minute trade-in procedure, etc). Yeah, Amazon trade-in has its problems. I have one game getting returned right now because it is supposedbly "cracked" which it most definitely was not when I sent it in. But that was a Wii game. PS3 games are usually much easier to trade (blu-ray + sturdier cases).

[quote name='kingwormer']On a side note, has anyone heard or seen if Best Buy will have a new 50% promo after this weekend?[/QUOTE]
I looked real quick and next week is trade 4 or more get extra $20 (great for small value games but I suspect many people will want to trade in 4 at a time to max out the value)

Week after that is +50% for BF3 and Batman AC pre-order

Week after that is +40% for Batman pre-order/pick-up and +505 BF3 pre-order.

That's all I remember.

[quote name='Oi Stino']Hi, I had a question about the trade-in values given in store vs. what is quoted online. I just traded in deus ex: HR for the xbox 360 and got $23 base trade-in. The value listed online is $24.[/QUOTE]
Nothing can really be done since you can't edit the values manually or anything. Also on your case with Deus Ex if you click 'Trade online' it changes to $23 and I think using the word 'estimate' is like that for a reason.

All of these price movements make me wonder if Homefront's 360 value will increase after the Warehouse price increases again. At this point I am might just Ebay my extra copies to cover the costs of my Gamefly purchases this week.

What happened is his ISP hadn't updated so he didn't see the most current version of the trade in page. I posted earlier this morning about Deus Ex being $23. Happens sometimes.

[quote name='musicjunkie']I looked real quick and next week is trade 4 or more get extra $20 (great for small value games but I suspect many people will want to trade in 4 at a time to max out the value)

Week after that is +50% for BF3 and Batman AC pre-order

Week after that is +40% for Batman pre-order/pick-up and +505 BF3 pre-order.

That's all I remember.

Nothing can really be done since you can't edit the values manually or anything. Also on your case with Deus Ex if you click 'Trade online' it changes to $23 and I think using the word 'estimate' is like that for a reason.[/QUOTE]

No min value on those games. Do you remember if it is only 360 and PS3? I just cannot see them taking PS2 games at $1 a piece and giving $24.

[quote name='musicjunkie']I looked real quick and next week is trade 4 or more get extra $20 (great for small value games but I suspect many people will want to trade in 4 at a time to max out the value)
[/QUOTE]
I really, REALLY hope for Best Buy's sake that a Trade 4/Get $20 Extra promotion has a minimum trade value for those four games (otherwise they will be getting a TON more disk only PS2 games lol).

[quote name='cancerman1120']No min value on those games. Do you remember if it is only 360 and PS3? I just cannot see them taking PS2 games at $1 a piece and giving $24.[/QUOTE]
That was my thought too. Nothing in terms of details but I'll try and find out more tomorrow.

I would assume we would still get the 10% for unlocked. So 4 $10 games would get you $64. That is still a 60% bonus. Anything above $10 would be less and anything below $10 would be more (% of TIV).

The better part is no $5 preorder to get the 60% value.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I would assume we would still get the 10% for unlocked. So 4 $10 games would get you $64. That is still a 60% bonus. Anything above $10 would be less and anything below $10 would be more (% of TIV).

The better part is no $5 preorder to get the 60% value.[/QUOTE]
You can even go down to $9. 9x4=36x.6=21.6.

Also in case anyone is interested they plan on doing console and accessory trade-ins soon. No date but they are planning on it.

[quote name='musicjunkie']You can even go down to $9. 9x4=36x.6=21.6.

Also in case anyone is interested they plan on doing console and accessory trade-ins soon. No date but they are planning on it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah $9 game are an even better value next week if they give you the 10% unlocked. $9 x 1.1 = $9.90 x 4 = $39.60 + $20 = $59.60 which is more than the straight 60%. It is even at $10 and less than 60% above $10/game.

[quote name='musicjunkie']You can even go down to $9. 9x4=36x.6=21.6.

Also in case anyone is interested they plan on doing console and accessory trade-ins soon. No date but they are planning on it.[/QUOTE]
Don't they do that already? What does hardware trade in in the trade in center mean?

Holy fuck!

Please, please, please Best Buy don't put a minimum on the trade-ins for the Trade 4 get $20 deal. This could end up being an amazing flip! lol

[quote name='cruzadel']Don't they do that already? What does hardware trade in in the trade in center mean?[/QUOTE]I believe they've only been taking consoles and accessories ONLINE only up until now.

[quote name='PimpLimp']I believe they've only been taking consoles and accessories ONLINE only up until now.[/QUOTE]
Yeah sorry about that. I meant to say in-store. :p

If you're really flipping for less than ⅓ of what a titles worth you're doing it wrong.

[quote name='mattcube64']Holy fuck!

Please, please, please Best Buy don't put a minimum on the trade-ins for the Trade 4 get $20 deal. This could end up being an amazing flip! lol[/QUOTE]

Minimize it's trade 4 get $60 and it's only eligible for PS2 GAMES!

[quote name='DudeImGodly']If you're really flipping for less than ⅓ of what a titles worth you're doing it wrong.[/QUOTE]

The flip was definitely profitable until the TIV dropped. Until you can lock a TIV like online and combine with the unlocked 10% + in-store bonuses for BBY ONLINE trading, you have an "either/or" scenario. You either get to lock in, or take your chances with a TIV drop in order to get the bonus. Luckily IO was nice enough to point out an option for those marginally profitable Homefronts.

This will be the first attempt for BB to do a bonus that is not % based. Fingers crossed it is $20+ on ANY 4 games (no restrictions like GS does: current generation only, and base TIV of $2).

[quote name='nakanenui']
This will be the first attempt for BB to do a bonus that is not % based. Fingers crossed it is $20+ on ANY 4 games (no restrictions like GS does: current generation only, and base TIV of $2).[/QUOTE]

It will be the last one if they don't put restrictions on it.

Trade 4 for $20 can be pretty awesome. Even if they throw in some $1 minimum base. I have quite a few games I'd like to get rid of that are low value..

[quote name='musicjunkie']Yeah sorry about that. I meant to say in-store. :p[/QUOTE]

When u check the trade in stores description, it shows hardware trade in. What does THAT mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back