Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kouleefoh']Gotcha.. good to know. Thanks.[/QUOTE]No problem. Just didn't want anyone to think they were stuck pre-ordering at BB if they wanted the Anarchy Edition. And like aircobra just said, their are better deals out there for the game as well.

But if anyone was on the fence about pre-ordering Rage for the Anarchy Edition, just found a trailer for that DLC I mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUp3VpVqcb4&feature=player_embedded

[quote name='kouleefoh']Speaking about bathroom, I used to think my bestbuy didn't have a restroom. So i had to hold it in a few times when I had to trade my games. Turned out they do have one :lol:[/QUOTE]

Man, getting the old lady doing the trade in and you have to pee at that same time is the worst

It's like: Hey lady, stop examining each page of the instruction book and hurry this up or there is going to be a situation involving me and that trashcan over there that nobody is going to enjoy.

[quote name='D_Icon']:???:[/QUOTE]

I'm going to assume that since you are able to post on the internet and you found this forum, that you are probably at least 16-18 years old right?

OK, so in at least 18 years of being alive (maybe more) I'm also going to presume that you have returned items to stores, also, right?

OK, so do that.

Also, STOP IT: Preorder and abandon the preorder or preorder and pick it up, but stop returning them. You are the people that are going to ruin this for everyone. As explained in here and in countless other threads: preorder the game, buy the game, and then sell it or trade it back in to BB. You will come out ahead in the long run.

I'm all in favor of a 2nd level secret video game flippers forum where a series of basic reading tests (as well as perhaps a series of real world life experiences test) are required to obtain an account. Get on that, batman.

[quote name='DerClaw']I'm going to assume that since you are able to post on the internet and you found this forum, that you are probably at least 16-18 years old right?

OK, so in at least 18 years of being alive (maybe more) I'm also going to presume that you have returned items to stores, also, right?

OK, so do that.

Also, STOP IT: Preorder and abandon the preorder or preorder and pick it up, but stop returning them. You are the people that are going to ruin this for everyone. As explained in here and in countless other threads: preorder the game, buy the game, and then sell it or trade it back in to BB. You will come out ahead in the long run.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing, but I found it funny that the guy taking the trade-in said he does the exact same thing. He was talking about all the stuff he traded in with his 10% and a 50% bonus that he's not picking up, then grabbed a GoW3 360 Bundle. I'm sure everything he traded in wasn't purposely flipped, though he made money off them.

[quote name='DerClaw']I'm all in favor of a 2nd level secret video game flippers forum where a series of basic reading tests (as well as perhaps a series of real world life experiences test) are required to obtain an account. Get on that, batman.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I wonder why no one has thought of that before? :lol:

[quote name='DerClaw']

Also, STOP IT: Preorder and abandon the preorder or preorder and pick it up, but stop returning them. You are the people that are going to ruin this for everyone. As explained in here and in countless other threads: preorder the game, buy the game, and then sell it or trade it back in to BB. You will come out ahead in the long run.[/QUOTE]

WAIT. Aren't you the guy who trades multiple multiples into various Best Buys to skirt the 3 limit?

And you're telling this guy he's the one who's gonna ruin it for everyone?

/scratches head

[quote name='DerClaw']Also, STOP IT: Preorder and abandon the preorder or preorder and pick it up, but stop returning them. You are the people that are going to ruin this for everyone. As explained in here and in countless other threads: preorder the game, buy the game, and then sell it or trade it back in to BB. You will come out ahead in the long run.[/QUOTE]

I intend to return my Rage Pre-order to get my $5 back and you can't stop me!

At one of my local stores that I go in to trade somewhat often, the gaming supervisor started bragging about finding a "loophole" in the system that allowed him to purchase games at gamestop and trade them to BBY for a profit. He was so proud of buying his GoW console for only $300 out of pocket... I just replied "that's awesome. You'll have to let me in on that next time it happens."

I went in BB today and traded a bunch of games that I have been saving for the 60 %. I had a nice flip $ 500.00 into $ 825.00. Was looking to get Kindle Cards for Amazon but live in IL. and none sold here! what the fuck! Good Thing I have family in IN. and MI. The lady at my BB asked if I go to alot of Garage sales. lol. Thanks Gamefly !

[quote name='srhine72']I went in BB today and traded a bunch of games that I have been saving for the 60 %. I had a nice flip $ 500.00 into $ 825.00. Was looking to get Kindle Cards for Amazon but live in IL. and none sold here! what the fuck! Good Thing I have family in IN. and MI. The lady at my BB asked if I go to alot of Garage sales. lol. Thanks Gamefly ![/QUOTE]

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

another brilliant post

[quote name='cheapfrag']I intend to return my Rage Pre-order to get my $5 back and you can't stop me![/QUOTE]

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

and another...
great job on all the spoon feeding to members too lazy to read for maybe 5-10 minutes...
just keep highlighting....and it will end....

i was complaining to the guy that im not getting all my preorder dlcs, he said they are gonna start printing up the code on the receipt when you pick it up after the gow3 debacle. he might be making shia up, but idk.
also i just got my 4 nfs hps from gf, woot, still 18tiv ;) on my way out now.
wish i had gow collections done, but im only 1/2way through 2nd part, i dont know if i can rush it that fast.

[quote name='cheapfrag']I intend to return my Rage Pre-order to get my $5 back and you can't stop me![/QUOTE]

I mean, there is one thing that BB actually tracks among all of their stores. And this one thing is important enough that they have hired an outside consulting firm to help them analyze this data among all of their stores. And this one thing is something you want to be involved in. I guess, if that's what you want to do, then awesome. But when somebody says "yo, here's some free money" I don't immediately start trying to think of ways that I can kick that person in the balls.

If no one objects I'll start a new thread sometime this evening (Due for it anyway, and I'm on here enough to make sure certain updates happen within a reasonable amount of time).

If anyone has any specific suggestions on what to include just quote this and respond in this thread (I'll look it over before I start a new thread), or send me a PM.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']If no one objects I'll start a new thread sometime this evening (Due for it anyway, and I'm on here enough to make sure certain updates happen within a reasonable amount of time).

If anyone has any specific suggestions on what to include just quote this and respond in this thread (I'll look it over before I start a new thread), or send me a PM.[/QUOTE]

please write a good FAQ and make it a wiki. thanks

Please make sure the FAQ is idiot proof. I'm not trying to be a dick for the sake of being a dick. It's the dumbest questions that get asked the most. If it's a wiki, I'll add some FAQs.

Other than that, I'm thinking a spoilered list of past promotions would be useful as well.

God fucking damn it! So the first time all year that it rains a decent amount around here and only for an hour or two mind you, my fucking BB's power went out. Waited in their for about 20 minutes and they wouldn't even let anyone use the bathrooms. An employee mentioned something about someone maybe hearing a transformer blow up and that's when I just left.

Went to the Subway next door, only to find out that they weren't running the Uncharted 3 promotion and they were looking at me like I was crazy when I asked about it. Pretty shitty day so far.

[quote name='confoosious']please write a good FAQ and make it a wiki. thanks

Please make sure the FAQ is idiot proof. I'm not trying to be a dick for the sake of being a dick. It's the dumbest questions that get asked the most. If it's a wiki, I'll add some FAQs.

Other than that, I'm thinking a spoilered list of past promotions would be useful as well.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much what he said, maybe throw in a spoilered list of upcoming promotions too?

Alright guys I have bad news.

For the trade4/extra $20 promo it's $5 minimum and PS2 games do not count.

If you're Unlocked you're better waiting til the week after when its 60% with BF3/Batman pre-order so if your games are worth atleast $8.50 or if you're total of 4 games is more than $33 this deal is not for you.

Math to explain:
$8.5x4games=$34
$34x.1=$3.4 (for unlocked)
$34x.5=$17 (50% bump for pre-order)
$17+$3.4=$20.40 which is more than $20

[quote name='musicjunkie']Alright guys I have bad news.

If you're Unlocked you're better waiting til the week after when its 60% with BF3/Batman pre-order so if your games are worth atleast $8.50 or if you're total of 4 games is more than $33 this deal is not for you.

Math to explain:
$8.5x4games=$34
$17+$3.4=$20.40 which is more than $20[/QUOTE]

For some class of games that are in the like 5-6 dollar range and IF it is 20 bucks extra, then it is still better to trade them on this deal. I'm not sure there are a lot of games that fit that bill though. Had to assume that they'd have something like that though.

Anyway, I've no idea how you are doing your math, but if you presume games that are trading in for 5 bucks, then trading 4 of those games for 40 bucks is better than trading 4 of those games for 32 bucks. 4 games getting 5 each = 20 total + 20 bonus, so $40. 4 games getting 5 each on the bonus is 32 (20 * 1.6 = 32).

[quote name='musicjunkie']Alright guys I have bad news.

Math to explain:
$8.5x4games=$34
$17+$3.4=$20.40 which is more than $20[/QUOTE]

So it's pretty much good for $5-8 games...

[quote name='Jimmienoman']So it's pretty much good for $5-8 games...[/QUOTE]

BB needs to make their database searchable by TIV, even though I can't imagine that is helpful for anyone but flippers :)

[quote name='DerClaw']Anyway, I've no idea how you are doing your math, but if you presume games that are trading in for 5 bucks, then trading 4 of those games for 40 bucks is better than trading 4 of those games for 32 bucks. 4 games getting 5 each = 20 total + 20 bonus, so $40. 4 games getting 5 each on the bonus is 32 (20 * 1.6 = 32).[/QUOTE]
The point I was trying to make is that if the total for your 4 games is $34 then this offer would net you $54 total BUT if you wait til next week and pre-order BF3/Batman and you're unlocked you'd be looking at $54.40

Guess if you factor in that you have to use $5 of that on a pre-order is sort of changes things.

you guys are making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Forget the 10%.

Assuming you have 4 games:

If you have a $10 game, the 50% bump is $5
If you have a $10 game, the 4 for $20 is $5

so $10 is the magic TIV level.

(This of course does not include whether you want to pre-order anything, even if you plan on just returning the preorder for $5.)

[quote name='DerClaw']BB needs to make their database searchable by TIV, even though I can't imagine that is helpful for anyone but flippers :)[/QUOTE]

Lol that would make it too easy... Gonna just start searching for $2-$7 games at GS to convert some credit over. Also check a couple targets for clearance shovelware games that might be $5.

Gonna be a long night of copy/pasting.

[quote name='confoosious']you guys are making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Forget the 10%.

so $10 is the magic TIV level.[/QUOTE]

You're assuming that you get an extra 10% on the full $40 and not the base TiV. But I'm just being anal and you are pretty much right. $10 seems to be the cut off

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Lol that would make it too easy... Gonna just start searching for $2-$5 games at GS to convert some credit over. Also check a couple targets for clearance shovelware games that might be $5.

Gonna be a long night of copy/pasting.[/QUOTE]

Be sure to check back this weekend when everyone and their mom is posting "which games can be bought for cheap at GS and traded in for this" in order to drive yourself insane!

[quote name='DerClaw']Be sure to check back this weekend when everyone and their mom is posting "which games can be bought for cheap at GS and traded in for this" in order to drive yourself insane![/QUOTE]

I tend to do my own research pre sale so I can get what I want before the SD people hit it up. Besides i don't mind actually doing some work to make money...

anyone got a 10% off coupon/print out? - i'm a few points away from my $5 off (240 points, damnit!) and wanna save a few more bux on Rage.
Gonna trade in Gears 3 - hope to get around $44 or so with the extra 50%

[quote name='DudeImGodly']All I want is a TIV for xmen destiny and they still haven't updated it yet. ugh.[/QUOTE]

Based solely on what happened with Gunstringer (the last new game that simply never was added, to my knowledge anyway) I would say don't expect one. My advice, lock in the trade-in value on Amazon and wait it out for a little while (if you really want to trade to BB I'd suggest checking every day on Amazon to see if it has dropped and if it hasn't lock in the value again and cancel the previous trade in so as to give as much time as possible for BB to update.) I also updated my email to BB's trade-in people to point out that X-Men Destiny is not showing up, but haven't heard back.

[quote name='foreinter']what's the trade4/extra $20 promo everyone is talking about? Is it starting this Sunday? Sorry I just missed it.[/QUOTE]
Yes since the preorder trade-in deals are ending. PS2 is excluded and $5min.

[quote name='confoosious']you guys are making this much more complicated than it needs to be. Forget the 10%.

so $10 is the magic TIV level.[/QUOTE]
Crap you're right. Didn't factor in the Unlocked with the trade 4 promo. Long 10hr workday so my brain is dead.

[quote name='confoosious']please write a good FAQ and make it a wiki. thanks

Other than that, I'm thinking a spoilered list of past promotions would be useful as well.[/QUOTE]

Just making it a wiki will let us grow the FAQ as the thread evolves

[quote name='kouleefoh']Tried out 8 games at hastings, comes out to be $49 > $80 something + 10% if possible. Not sure if that's worth it.[/QUOTE]

It is if you're using a prepaid visa giftcard ;)

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']It is if you're using a prepaid visa giftcard ;)[/QUOTE]
True, but since the games i checked out has TIV @ $5 and $6, lol all it takes is about $1 off and they become useless. Not sure if it's worth the risk. I'm just a casual flippers and this is out of my league :lol:

[quote name='kouleefoh']True, but since the games i checked out has TIV @ $5 and $6, lol all it takes is about $1 off and they become useless. Not sure if it's worth the risk. I'm just a casual flippers and this is out of my league :lol:[/QUOTE]

After games get to about $10> in TIV their values seem to become stagnant.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']After games get to about $10> in TIV their values seem to become stagnant.[/QUOTE]
where in cal are u? I'm in Hayward.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']After games get to about $10> in TIV their values seem to become stagnant.[/QUOTE]

Not true. In the past few weeks I have seen a lot of low end games drop to the $1 base. I know because I had a few games laying around from the GS promo where you had to buy a used game and bought cheapie ones that were $3-$5 as they were even TiV at BBY. since then they are now $1. Just a heads up.

This sale seems to be a 1 day flip sale. If you have to order them online you will probably be taking a large risk because the high profit games ($7 and under) can easily drop $2+ overnight which completely squashes the trade and makes it very likely you will only break even, if not lose some.

I personally will probably only be flipping in the same day from local B&M stores unless there is an awesome flip that it worth the risk (150% profit or more). That being said I've already started compiling my list. Found a couple gems locally at GS and BBV already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back