Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that doesnt make any sense if they would add games to the list and keep its trade in low on their estimator. Whatever Best Buy. I wish Amazon would get with some store and have a tradein kiosk at stores.

well, i was gonna get some free rentals through gohastings b2g1$1 sale, but if i can't lock it in im not gonna order some games for 3 weeks n then cross my fingers and show them 'the list' i printed offline n then get knocked down from 25 to 9. ouch. hopefully they update the estimator then this will have some merit.
thanx anyway bh47, it's bestbuy's mistakes, not yours ;)

According the the Gamerzone android app the trade in for Bulletstorm is $25 but the estimator shows $30. So if I traded in a copy tomorrow what would get get the $30 that the estimator is pulling up or the $25 that the gamerzone app is showing?

[quote name='Ultragamer']According the the Gamerzone android app the trade in for Bulletstorm is $25 but the estimator shows $30. So if I traded in a copy tomorrow what would get get the $30 that the estimator is pulling up or the $25 that the gamerzone app is showing?[/QUOTE]

which gamerzone app is this? can't seem to find iit on the marketplace :(

[quote name='Ultragamer']According the the Gamerzone android app the trade in for Bulletstorm is $25 but the estimator shows $30. So if I traded in a copy tomorrow what would get get the $30 that the estimator is pulling up or the $25 that the gamerzone app is showing?[/QUOTE]

I just traded in MvC3, Bulletstorm, and Mario Galaxy and got 90 (which I immediately converted to 100 Amazon GC, with 10 being subsidized by me). So yes, you get 30.

[quote name='Trance Addix']I just traded in MvC3, Bulletstorm, and Mario Galaxy and got 90 (which I immediately converted to 100 Amazon GC, with 10 being subsidized by me). So yes, you get 30.[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks, wonder why the bestbuy app always seems to show a lower value

[quote name='animemaniac14']which gamerzone app is this? can't seem to find iit on the marketplace :([/QUOTE]

It's just called "best buy gaming" if you look for just bestbuy on the market it should be the 2nd or 3rd app in the list.

I think I got myself on Best Buy's radar today, as I went in and returned Quantum Theory for $22 back in credit on my gift card, then spent $42 something on two copies of Kirby, which I then proceeded to trade right back in.

They asked me for a receipt since they realized it was two copies of the same game. I showed them the receipt from my transaction just 10-15 minutes earlier and they remarked that I had just bought them. Then they realized I was making a $10 profit per copy versus what they were selling them for.:shock:

Suffice to say I think I'm on step one of being banned from Best Buy's trading program after today's fiasco.:lol:

I shoulda traded in my copies of Red Dead Redemption and Dead Rising 2 along with the copies of Kirby to throw them off a lil bit.

I haven't seen any Amazon gc in store. I looked around last week and was able to find itunes, Barnes and Noble, and I think sony ereader gift cards.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']I haven't seen any Amazon gc in store. I looked around last week and was able to find itunes, Barnes and Noble, and I think sony ereader gift cards.[/QUOTE]

They are called Kindle gift cards and have the denomination of either 25 or 50 dollars.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think I got myself on Best Buy's radar today, as I went in and returned Quantum Theory for $22 back in credit on my gift card, then spent $42 something on two copies of Kirby, which I then proceeded to trade right back in.

They asked me for a receipt since they realized it was two copies of the same game. I showed them the receipt from my transaction just 10-15 minutes earlier and they remarked that I had just bought them. Then they realized I was making a $10 profit per copy versus what they were selling them for.:shock:

Suffice to say I think I'm on step one of being banned from Best Buy's trading program after today's fiasco.:lol:

I shoulda traded in my copies of Red Dead Redemption and Dead Rising 2 along with the copies of Kirby to throw them off a lil bit.[/QUOTE]
You didn't do anything wrong. If Best Buy wants to compete with juggernauts like Gamestop and Amazon, they better be on top of trade-in values if they don't want people to flip games there for profit.

[quote name='NickNorman']You didn't do anything wrong. If Best Buy wants to compete with juggernauts like Gamestop and Amazon, they better be on top of trade-in values if they don't want people to flip games there for profit.[/QUOTE]
But that's the problem. Even though I'm not going against their T&C(haven't traded the 3 limit per year per title) for their trade program, they can essentially do what Gamestop did and ban me from their stores completely because in the end retail stores are private property. They can deny service to anyone as long as it's not on the basis of race, gender or any other protected status.

Did anyone try to trade in games at Best Buy within the past couple of hours? cause they say the system is down and now I'm screwed because if it doesn't come back up soon the trade in value may dip tomorrow.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think I got myself on Best Buy's radar today, as I went in and returned Quantum Theory for $22 back in credit on my gift card, then spent $42 something on two copies of Kirby, which I then proceeded to trade right back in.

I shoulda traded in my copies of Red Dead Redemption and Dead Rising 2 along with the copies of Kirby to throw them off a lil bit.[/QUOTE]

have you ever heard of the word discretion?

[quote name='cheapgamerone']Did anyone try to trade in games at Best Buy within the past couple of hours? cause they say the system is down and now I'm screwed because if it doesn't come back up soon the trade in value may dip tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
I just traded in some games around 2-3pm today, so chances are the employees just didn't want to take your trades out of laziness. I'd go back before night's end and try again.
[quote name='confoosious']have you ever heard of the word discretion?[/QUOTE]
If gas wasn't edging up on redonkulous level and the other BB store wasn't 15+ miles away I would've done one to each and then come back to the first one to do the third in the same day.

But with gas almost at $4 a gallon I think I'm gonna stop most of my deal hunting soon enough.:cry:

[quote name='Trance Addix']They are called Kindle gift cards and have the denomination of either 25 or 50 dollars.[/QUOTE]

yeah didn't see any, even looked where the Kindle display was. just Kindles and cases. maybe it was just this store. I'm guessing Kindle gc = Amazon gc in terms of usability.

I don't know why some people complain about in-store tradeins. wouldn't sending the games in by mail be better to avoid these types of issues, assuming you can wait for the gc?

[quote name='Gamer SDP']I don't know why some people complain about in-store tradeins. wouldn't sending the games in by mail be better to avoid these types of issues, assuming you can wait for the gc?[/QUOTE]

yeah but i takes a long time. i trade in through the mail once and it took 3 weeks from when i dropped the game off at ups and recieve my gc

[quote name='confoosious']have you ever heard of the word discretion?[/QUOTE]

He's not in violation of any of their policies or exploiting the system via some shady means.

If a store is stupid enough to give a higher TIV for an item than they sell it for then what the hell do they expect? At most you'll get glares from managers... but even then in my experience they just smile and comment on it harmlessly.

[quote name='fujimitsu']If a store is stupid enough to give a higher TIV for an item than they sell it for then what the hell do they expect? At most you'll get glares from managers... but even then in my experience they just smile and comment on it harmlessly.[/QUOTE]
Dealtree actually has nothing to do with Best Buy. So unless you expect BB's marketing people controlling videogame sales to be psychically linked to Dealtree's BB trade-in people, arbitrage opportunities is obviously going to occur from time to time. But we're talking about the actions of a guy who actually got himself banned from a store. Probably not a saint to begin with.

[quote name='Stele']Dealtree actually has nothing to do with Best Buy. So unless you expect BB's marketing people controlling videogame sales to be psychically linked to Dealtree's BB trade-in people, arbitrage opportunities is obviously going to occur from time to time. But we're talking about the actions of a guy who actually got himself banned from a store. Probably not a saint to begin with.[/QUOTE]
I got banned because Gamestop didn't like my trading habits. Apparently because I wasn't the normal variety of moron they deal with on a daily basis(those who buy a game for $60 one day and trade it back for $15 two weeks later) my business was not wanted there, which was fine with me as I only shopped there during B2G1's and used their credit when buying stuff to get rid of elsewhere for cash.

[quote name='fujimitsu']He's not in violation of any of their policies or exploiting the system via some shady means.

If a store is stupid enough to give a higher TIV for an item than they sell it for then what the hell do they expect? At most you'll get glares from managers... but even then in my experience they just smile and comment on it harmlessly.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that he was violating store policy or doing something shady.

I'm talking about not buying two copies of a game and then walking over/back in to trade them right away. When exploiting a favorable price/trade in, it's best not to draw attention to it, no?

He got banned from Gamestop for being over the top too.

[quote name='Stele']Obviously...you didn't give them business, you gave them losses.[/QUOTE]

Don't do this again, there have been hundreds of threads ruined by this exact conversation.

He didn't break any of their TOS, he was simply banned by a manager.

[quote name='confoosious']maybe you should look up the word discretion too. I'm not talking about whether he's violating store policy or dealtree vs bestbuy etc.

I'm talking about not buying two copies of a game and then walking over/back in to trade them right away.[/QUOTE]

Implying that there is anything wrong with that. No reason to hide shit you don't feel bad about.

I'm sure there's a reason he was banned, and I'm not saying whether it was reasonable or not... just stating that it doesn't seem like he's in the wrong here. Sounds like you're filling in some blanks based on what you imagine him to be like.

What blanks am I filling in? He said what he did and that he was worried he was on a train to banville at bestbuy.

And my response was: use some discretion and you might not get in trouble with BB.

[quote name='fujimitsu']Don't do this again, there have been hundreds of threads ruined by this exact conversation.

He didn't break any of their TOS, he was simply banned by a manager.

Implying that there is anything wrong with that. No reason to hide shit you don't feel bad about.

I'm sure there's a reason he was banned, and I'm not saying whether it was reasonable or not... just stating that it doesn't seem like he's in the wrong here. Sounds like you're filling in some blanks based on what you imagine him to be like.[/QUOTE]
Truth be told, I was trading in multiples to Gamestop too, albeit I did have manager's permission at at least one store to do so. I also traded in around 30 HDMI cables for about $4-5 each that I had originally paid $1 each from eBay for.;)

So yeah, I was making serious bank at their expense and apparently one or more employees along the way proceeded to report me to corporate and I was banned at the corporate level(not just store level).

Of course, those trades were nothing compared to the amounts I was making when Hollywood Video was still open and had their bi annual $4/$5 game sales. I'd make a list of decent tiv stuff, wait for a good promo and clean up by trading in everything from PS2/Xbox games to 360/Wii/PS3 stuff. On average, I could usually turn about $120 cash into around $700 in credit in short order.;)

[quote name='fujimitsu']Don't do this again, there have been hundreds of threads ruined by this exact conversation.

He didn't break any of their TOS, he was simply banned by a manager.[/QUOTE]
Now whose filling in the blanks? He was banned by corporate. This place isn't the Sierra Club.

i always trade in 2/3 copies of games. been doing that for months and they don't seem to care. i have different phone numbers i give them and sometimes have my grrl do the trade in if i have done a bunch lately but no stress ever. if they ever ask why i say cuz its a good game and i have multiple systems but just got done with it. i then go on to talk about how its a great way to get more business with bestbuy giftcards. i then go and purchase amazon gift cards ;) lol

[quote name='Velo214']i always trade in 2/3 copies of games. been doing that for months and they don't seem to care. i have different phone numbers i give them and sometimes have my grrl do the trade in if i have done a bunch lately but no stress ever. if they ever ask why i say cuz its a good game and i have multiple systems but just got done with it. i then go on to talk about how its a great way to get more business with bestbuy giftcards. i then go and purchase amazon gift cards ;) lol[/QUOTE]
I guess maybe I should make more small talk. Although I did do trades of a varying amount of different titles about 1-2 months ago. But most times when I trade stuff there I just want to get in and out and be done as quickly as possible.:booty:

also this is bestbuy. it took them over 6 months to stop the free game rz coupons train. n that was me and my grrl walking to the counter with 3 games each and a coupon. n then walking out paid $0. then walking across the street for trade 3+$10 at gamestop. woot i miss those days. n yeah, i know we killed it but it was only a matter of time. same with bestbuy taking 10+ copies of a game. but hell, i needed to unload all those $15 lbp's for 30tiv each. n then bought lbp goty for 30. woot lol

lol, i do the small talk too cuz lots of cute grrls wait on me, haha. lots of dyed hair and piercing and they are really letting the chicstaff get more casual, so that's cool.
i have the coolest baby Link Dragon with me so they are like awww too cute n im like yeah he's an awesome lil dude. n then they just have me give them id and sign and im out like like a light.
it also helps that i get chummy with a bunch of the staff/managers/door security so much that they tell me when good flippn deals are happening and they joke around n ask where im getting the tivs and cheap games etc. iv told a few of them to check out cag ;)

[quote name='cheapgamerone']Did anyone try to trade in games at Best Buy within the past couple of hours? cause they say the system is down and now I'm screwed because if it doesn't come back up soon the trade in value may dip tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

No problem for me. A few hours ago I traded in and everything worked fine.

Jeez, how long does it take for Bestbuy to fucking verify your trade ins? I sent mine through the online distributor, they arrived on Friday and it's still marked as "Not yet received" as the status on BB.com.

[quote name='Cheska19']Jeez, how long does it take for Bestbuy to fucking verify your trade ins? I sent mine through the online distributor, they arrived on Friday and it's still marked as "Not yet received" as the status on BB.com.[/QUOTE]

ive been waiting since wednesday.. Im wondering the same thing. :lol:

[quote name='edson13']ive been waiting since wednesday.. Im wondering the same thing. :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's this waiting period that makes me realize why so many would rather trade to Gamestop. It's always instant payment.

It takes a LOOOONG time, but I've received the full tiv for every overpriced $25 and $30 game I've sent in the last year. I've never lost a game, had one returned as damaged, incorrect version, missing disc, or incomplete like with amazon...that's gotta be worth the extra couple weeks it takes longer than amazon.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Okay, I'm going to add this: If you can trade in Eye of judgment from GS to TRU buy Epic Mickey and trade it to BB.

http://www.toysrustradeincenter.com/PS3/productdetails.aspx?productid=7936
at GS for 4.99

Note if you can.[/QUOTE]

If you like taking risks
http://cgi.ebay.com/Eye-Judgment-GAME-ONLY-PS3-/390308989568 $6 shipped
The reason I say it is a risk is because Gamer's Factory is actually who runs the TRU Trade In Center so you are basically buying it from them for $6 to trade it back into them for $13.86 and because they say this:
"We offer a 7-day guarantee for functional defects only. Product is thoroughly tested and certified as fully operational by in-house technicians. Products encoded with unique ID externally & internally; serial sequence recorded and photographed. REMOVAL OF VISIBLE ID STICKERS VOID WARRANTY COMPLETELY. Upon safe return of the product we will inspect for authenticity, identify exact condition, confirm that all warranty stickers are in place and not tampered with. We will then determine/confirm defects and will repair/replace the item. Returns must be received during the warranty period. WE DO NOT ACCEPT RETURNS FOR ANY “BRAND NEW “ITEMS PURCHASED."

So they will likely know it was bought from them.

Are the TIV down? I still see RE5 Gold Edition and SW:TFU2 CE on the list for 2 for $50 but the TIV on the estimator shows up as $9. Does anyone know which one to believe?

[quote name='karekano126']Are the TIV down? I still see RE5 Gold Edition and SW:TFU2 CE on the list for 2 for $50 but the TIV on the estimator shows up as $9. Does anyone know which one to believe?[/QUOTE]

I believe bestbuy goes by the numbers on the online tracker, but you can always ask them in store and see if they'll match it since they are listed on the 2 for $50 list.

[quote name='Cheska19']It's this waiting period that makes me realize why so many would rather trade to Gamestop. It's always instant payment.[/QUOTE]

Amazon is better if BB online is giving you issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back