Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Stimes']I have a good one for the flippers. It's a YMMV of corse. If you buy two Call of Duty games at Best Buy you get a $30 gift card. Best Buy price matched K-Mart on CoD WaW and CoD4 to $20 each. Trade in value for W@W is $20.
Got CoD4 and W@W for $43.28 yesterday and got a $30 GC
Got CoD W@W X2 for $43.28 today and got a $30 GC
Traded in CoD W@W X3 for $60 GC.
So basically I used $86.56 in gift card money and got CoD4 and $120 in gift cards.[/QUOTE]

Do you think this would go the other way? Like buy the COD games at TRU and see if They'd give a 30 dollar TRU GC? A 30 dollar TRU GC would be more valuable to me at this point.

Just a quick question what happens if you lock in a price on the website but end up not actually sending the games and instead trading them at the store.

[quote name='DerClaw']Just noticed it tonight. 30 days was epically long, but the fact that there is no notice as far as when they did the switch is sketchy. I had locked in some games that I'd like to trade it, but wanted to get one in as a test before sending the rest. Now they'll never make it since BB won't officially acknowledge "receipt" for like a week (at least?) after they sign for it.[/QUOTE]

When you they make you check mark the terms and conditions it still states 30 days.

[quote name='Caddywompus21']When you they make you check mark the terms and conditions it still states 30 days.[/QUOTE]

Just saw it myself as well after checkout : Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value.

Question guys --- the limit 3 per title...does that only apply to online trade-ins or to in-store as well?

Could I trade in 3 of the same title at 5 different stores, or do they somehow bring up a trade-in history before letting you trade games in?

That's odd, because tonight I got an email about a trade-in I submitted that hasn't shipped out yet (a reminder or sorts) that had this line at the bottom:

"Please be aware that if the trade-in is not recieved within 30 days of the generated quote, the value may be reduced to reflect CURRENT market value."

Seems pretty clear to me?

doh. just send deBlob2 in for 30 yesterday cuz it had dropped to 16, i only had 3 levels and then it would have been crazy 20 trophies plat, oh wellz.
lots of tiv bumps, i locked in a few like killzone 2, sportschampions, god of war collection, brunswich bowling and medal of honor all 20tiv, i think most of those you can get gohastings/gamefly for alot cheaper.
i also locked in some 30tivs like crysis2, mortal kombat, need for speed and portal 2. woot

Never traded with Best Buy, but a lot of these values are tempting. Looking to trade in multiple games. If it's on the list for 2 for $60 or 3 for $60, is it confirmed that those games will get $30 or $20 B&M, or should I do it through the website?

[quote name='Brenex']I mean, it works. I don't know what else you're looking for. They have $25 or $50 card varieties near the kindles if your store has them at all.[/QUOTE]

I was just looking for assurance that a kindle gift card can be used on amazon for games, clothes or even diapers.

[quote name='ijustw1n']I was just looking for assurance that a kindle gift card can be used on amazon for games, clothes or even diapers.[/QUOTE]

They can be used for any item on Amazon. I use the BB trade program exclusively for Amazon gift cards.

[quote name='Donutkid2222']wait, can you trade in the game with those values in store? Everyone here seems to be talking about mailing it.[/QUOTE]
Yes, in store is the same trade value. I traded in some games yesterday but I have to go back today because my Uncharted 2 didn't have the manual. They said only starting today they will start taking games without artwork in store.

[quote name='jimrome27']Medal of Honor is $20 right now. Good deal??[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Stimes']I have a good one for the flippers. It's a YMMV of corse. If you buy two Call of Duty games at Best Buy you get a $30 gift card. Best Buy price matched K-Mart on CoD WaW and CoD4 to $20 each. Trade in value for W@W is $20.
So basically I used $86.56 in gift card money and got CoD4 and $120 in gift cards.[/QUOTE]

How'd you get them to Price match K-mart? I can't find the call of duty titles in their sales flyer or online for them to PM it.

sucks. I went to one of those stores that "can't take anything except items purchased from best buy and need a receipt for proof"

I don't understand how they can say this is due to city ordinances when there are FOUR gamestops giving store credit and cash nearby and a half price books giving cash for all sorts of items.. so stupid.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe those other places have to have your drivers license on file but best buy does not have a system for storing that data.

[quote name='jer7583']sucks. I went to one of those stores that "can't take anything except items purchased from best buy and need a receipt for proof"

I don't understand how they can say this is due to city ordinances when there are FOUR gamestops giving store credit and cash nearby and a half price books giving cash for all sorts of items.. so stupid.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe those other places have to have your drivers license on file but best buy does not have a system for storing that data.[/QUOTE]

I have to give them my driver license every time.

[quote name='ddeeaallzz']Question guys --- the limit 3 per title...does that only apply to online trade-ins or to in-store as well?

Could I trade in 3 of the same title at 5 different stores, or do they somehow bring up a trade-in history before letting you trade games in?[/QUOTE]

If you have a problem in store, and call the number, the online people tell you that the store and the online trade in are completely separate and they cannot help you. If that is their stance, then I say it goes both ways and you can do 3 online and three in store. However, it is BB, so I'm sure they will just change the rules to fit the situation as it helps them.

Can you buy 3 copies of each at once, or did you buy one each day to play it safe? Is it also the same BB store? I'd love to keep some for my collection, and give the other ones as gifts.

i am really thinking about trading games for a 3D LED 240hz 1080p tv

you think i should and they need to be complate and do they take CE,LE,SE and so on or should i sell them here

[quote name='starmask2k3']i am really thinking about trading games for a 3D LED 240hz 1080p tv

you think i should and they need to be complate and do they take CE,LE,SE and so on or should i sell them here[/QUOTE]

They need cases and discs. If you're really looking for cash strip the manuals and sell them seperately.

They take CEs, but they give at best the same value as the standard. You'd be better off selling them yourself if they're worth anything.

[quote name='jer7583']sucks. I went to one of those stores that "can't take anything except items purchased from best buy and need a receipt for proof"

Only thing I can think of is that maybe those other places have to have your drivers license on file but best buy does not have a system for storing that data.[/QUOTE]

Can you tell us which store it is? City, State, and Store #? And is the store listed in the Trade-In Stores list?

I actually had this same problem. Luckily there was another Best Buy about 10 minutes away that does the trade without receipts. I think it is a system issue or they aren't licensed to pawn. The website says only certain stores to trade-ins.

[quote name='rey6eric']You can also get them to price match TRU.

WaW

COD4[/QUOTE]

Do they pm at Tru? My coworker told me she tried to pm before and bb told her they dont.

Do you folks think they would PM Black Ops $39.99 (at TRU) and PM WaW $19.99 (Kmart/TRU) and allow me to still get the $30 GC?
I would totally do that, guess i'll go try.

[quote name='fujimitsu']They need cases and discs. If you're really looking for cash strip the manuals and sell them seperately.

They take CEs, but they give at best the same value as the standard. You'd be better off selling them yourself if they're worth anything.[/QUOTE]
YMMV on stripping the manuals and still being able to trade in. I thought Best Buy's game trade policy is case, disc, and all artwork (which means manual). I remember getting rejected at Best Buy to trade a game I initially bought at Blockbuster because it didn't include a manual. Gamestop accepted the game no problem, for around the same value at Best Buy (it helped too they had a 50% trade-in bonus and using PUR at the time).

[quote name='ceve2001']Are the cod games at 19.99 only for 360? my bb doesnt have any 360 available. Only Ps3.[/QUOTE]

They are both 19.99 at TRU for 360/PS3

[quote name='ceve2001']Do they pm at Tru? My coworker told me she tried to pm before and bb told her they dont.[/QUOTE]

Yes you should be able to PM.

[quote name='jer7583']sucks. I went to one of those stores that "can't take anything except items purchased from best buy and need a receipt for proof"[/QUOTE]
Tell them they were bought from BB but you got them as a gift so you don't have a receipt plus it's been over 30 days so you wouldn't keep the receipt anyways.

[quote name='ceve2001']Do they pm at Tru? My coworker told me she tried to pm before and bb told her they dont.[/QUOTE]
As long as there's a TRU near BB they should

[quote name='person123']Do you folks think they would PM Black Ops $39.99 (at TRU) and PM WaW $19.99 (Kmart/TRU) and allow me to still get the $30 GC?
I would totally do that, guess i'll go try.[/QUOTE]
make sure you buy it outright 1st then come back & do the price match otherwise your easily setup for the 3D's "double dipping" denial.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bh47']Can you tell us which store it is? City, State, and Store #? And is the store listed in the Trade-In Stores list?[/QUOTE]

Greenfield, WI store. It is listed in the trade-in stores list. They said they do trade in but only if you have a best buy receipt for the games.

Went to another store and got $180 in credit for some stuff. Mostly got kindle/amazon gift cards with it.

[quote name='jer7583']Greenfield, WI store. It is listed in the trade-in stores list. They said they do trade in but only if you have a best buy receipt for the games.

Went to another store and got $180 in credit for some stuff. Mostly got kindle/amazon gift cards with it.[/QUOTE]

I don't see Greenfield, WI on the vg trade-in stores listing.
I was gonna list it on the first post for stores that need BB receipt but if it's not on the list, it may be why you ran into that issue. Nice that you found another store and got $180!

[quote name='Enuf']make sure you buy it outright 1st then come back & do the price match otherwise your easily setup for the 3D's "double dipping" denial.[/QUOTE]

They won't notice the giftcard on the receipt? I tried it at 2 stores today, first one told me I couldn't get the giftcard if I pricematched, the second one though didn't seem to have any issues with it once the prompt came up.

[quote name='Ultragamer']They won't notice the giftcard on the receipt? I tried it at 2 stores today, first one told me I couldn't get the giftcard if I pricematched, the second one though didn't seem to have any issues with it once the prompt came up.[/QUOTE]

There's coupons I received as a silver member that'll generate a giftcard but it's in code so there's no way to know why I got it. That's why I always do it in 2 transactions. Plus my local BB makes alot of exceptions probably b/c I shop & price match there so much, they've said numerous times "your gonna spend it here anyways" and THEIR RIGHT! customer loyality at it's finest.

[quote name='Enuf']Tell them they were bought from BB but you got them as a gift so you don't have a receipt plus it's been over 30 days so you wouldn't keep the receipt anyways.

As long as there's a TRU near BB they should

or you could buy 2 of the COD collection 2 packs get the $30 gc & flip the extra games.

make sure you buy it outright 1st then come back & do the price match otherwise your easily setup for the 3D's "double dipping" denial.[/QUOTE]

How would you flip the collection? Doesnt seem worth it

Not sure which thread to post this in:
YMMV, but I just got Mortal Kombat for 20 bucks at BB. Toys R us has it for 40, plus the 10 dollar coupon in the magazine in store. I brought both to Best Buy to price match, and also checked online on Best Buy.com- Mortal Kombat has a promo where if you buy it you get a $10 gift card with the game. Since they said it was "double dipping" they just gave me 10 bucks off the game, for 19.99 plus tax! I'm pretty stoked.
This is the page from best Buy I printed out about the $10 gift card: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat239700050025

Was able to get Black Ops & WaW PM (TRU) at BestBuy walked out with both + $30 GC for 59.98 + tax at the register. Good deal, thx cag!

[quote name='Enuf']Store had it stickered wrong $35[/QUOTE]
Ok, let's do the math assuming everyone else's best buy has it priced wrong.
$73.XX after tax for the two, you would get $90 in gift cards after trade in, not bad but I think your still better off getting 3 copy's of W@W for Ps3 and 3 for 360, it would come out to $127.XX after price match and you would get $210 in gift cards after trade in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back