Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='perdition(troy']Nah, I've been doing it for awhile. Got a ps3 and games back when I bought 25+ fairytale fights from BB for free then traded them all in BBV for 24 a piece. Then used that to flip credit to gamestop. Or the old kmart clearance. And the circuit city 5 sale. Or the 650 I have in best buy gift cards from the last b2g1.[/QUOTE]

This is why we can't have nice things.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Nah you're not a flipper. Just an asshole.[/QUOTE]
QFT.
25 Fairytale fights? :O
I mean like 10 tops man :p
But I got zero. But that was before I was interested in flipping.

Ya, you missed out big time on the Fairytale Fights coupon. That was all from two stores. It helps to make friends with store managers, they even pulled games from the back for me.

Lol, FTF brings back memories. Cleaning out BB, trading them all to Game Crazy, then cleaning them out with a ton of credit as they went out of business.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Ya, you missed out big time on the Fairytale Fights coupon. That was all from two stores. It helps to make friends with store managers, they even pulled games from the back for me.[/QUOTE]
I got quite a few of those myself. I tried the game and I hated it. Then when that Nerf N-Strike 2 or whatever one rolled around I was salivating as the closest store had somewhere around 50-60 of the bundles.:D

I think I grabbed five of those at most.

What was funniest was that until just recently my closest Blockbuster had at least one copy of FTF in stock used. Apparently it didn't even rent out once, even though they converted my trade to a rental copy.

Best Buy has 3 of the most epic "sales" ever - the FTF free game, the Nerf Free game and the Buy 2 copies of Rock Revolution for $12, get a $60 game free... Good times... Come to think of it, the SBD free game was pretty good, too...

[quote name='sfabo']My trade-in was delivered 6/21..they just got confirmed today and that was after e-mailing them...:roll:[/QUOTE]

That is better than mine that was received almost a month ago. It was finally confirmed and given values after two separate phone calls. However, considering they fixed the issue pretty quickly and gave better values than anyone else I'm still pretty happy with the outcome. But it is kind of long to wait for a gift card (it'll almost be two months since the submission when I actually receive the physical gift card in the mail.) They've been faster in the past.

Ugh. SO glad that my local store is pretty quick doing trade ins and I don't have to deal with the wait times... Back when we were chucking craptons of games at them, they seemed to be quicker...

[quote name='imacgod']Made a trade for June 2. Package arrived June 10. Today is June 28, and the website still says "Waiting to receive." What do I do?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Donut2922']wait longer. it's not unusual for it to take over a month. mine did.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? It would be one thing to take a long time for them to process/generate credit, but the least they could do is mark it as received so you know they actually got the package.

And here I was getting antsy because they have yet to acknowledge a package they got from me last Friday! There's no way I'm giving them more than a week or two, though - I will be bugging them about it by that time. Of course what sucks is that if the in-store trade-in system hadn't gotten all wacky a week or so back, I would have had this taken care of in store already. As it is I wasted about 2 hours going to 2 stores to try to trade then, then had ot ship them - and now, on top of all that, have to wait a month with no update to possibly get my credit?

As picky as Amazon is with stuff, they are MUCH better. And I love that Gazelle sends frequent status updates - that is how this stuff should be handled (one email when they get it, another when they inspect it, and a third when they give you your credit).

[quote name='io']Seriously? It would be one thing to take a long time for them to process/generate credit, but the least they could do is mark it as received so you know they actually got the package.

And here I was getting antsy because they have yet to acknowledge a package they got from me last Friday! There's no way I'm giving them more than a week or two, though - I will be bugging them about it by that time. Of course what sucks is that if the in-store trade-in system hadn't gotten all wacky a week or so back, I would have had this taken care of in store already. As it is I wasted about 2 hours going to 2 stores to try to trade then, then had ot ship them - and now, on top of all that, have to wait a month with no update to possibly get my credit?

As picky as Amazon is with stuff, they are MUCH better. And I love that Gazelle sends frequent status updates - that is how this stuff should be handled (one email when they get it, another when they inspect it, and a third when they give you your credit).[/QUOTE]

Its always been about a month for them to acknowledge receiving your item then about two weeks after that you'll receive credit.

Ive been doing only in store trade ins at BB. It takes a bit of time but worth it beacuse of the rates. I would almost recommend not even sending in any trades to BB as it takes forever.

[quote name='io']Seriously? It would be one thing to take a long time for them to process/generate credit, but the least they could do is mark it as received so you know they actually got the package.
Yup, it's very long. I ship from CA. My most recent trade-in was FFXIII when I bought it from GS last month. I mailed out the games on 5/19 and on 6/27 (just yesterday) I received my BB gift cards in the mail.From submission to receipt of GC's, it took me 5 weeks to complete everything. My actual confirmation receipt was just 2 weeks ago from now. I'm interested to see how strict DealTree is at receiving items within the stated 14 day window.

[quote name='xDerekRx']Ive been doing only in store trade ins at BB. It takes a bit of time but worth it beacuse of the rates. I would almost recommend not even sending in any trades to BB as it takes forever.[/QUOTE]

my main argument to that would be online trade-in's are much more convenient on time/gas and much easier on discretion ultimately. most people here probably shop enough at BB that the GC's are going to be used in a month anyway.

I wish I knew about this thread before I traded in my games through Best Buy mail service.

I had to talk to customer service three times to get them to finally process my games after they were received three weeks ago.

Now I my status is "Payment Pending" and based on everyone elses experience, thats another 2 weeks of waiting. I was hoping to use the GC on Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 by the time it drops but I guess I will have to wait.

Lesson learned. Trade in-store. Waiting over a month just doesn't seem worth it.

[quote name='imacgod']Made a trade for June 2. Package arrived June 10. Today is June 28, and the website still says "Waiting to receive." What do I do?[/QUOTE]

It just took me 5 weeks. finally got my card :D

[quote name='imacgod']Alright. I'll take your guys' word on it. I really don't see why they can't change the status to at least received.[/QUOTE]

cause they suck.

Yeah... I had no idea it took this long to do it via mail. I figured it'd be similar wait times to Amazon's trade in service. Never again will I send anything to BB in the mail.

i just got verification for a game i sent on may 20th. i went to ups.com and they said they were delivered on 5/27, but just got verified on 6/20. ugh that's way too long, longer than normal. what's wrong over there?
and they started this new thing, i got it with this order, saying receipt confirmation.

I just came back from doing the first store trade-in. I'm definitely going to trade in store from now on as the online is taking way too long. The process took some time but painless because it was the evening in Manhattan. They also set up a specific video game trade-in desk in the video game section. I came outta there with a $105 gift card for 7 games.

[quote name='Velo214']i just got verification for a game i sent on may 20th. i went to ups.com and they said they were delivered on 5/27, but just got verified on 6/20. ugh that's way too long, longer than normal. what's wrong over there?
and they started this new thing, i got it with this order, saying receipt confirmation.[/QUOTE]

I suspect it's just a severe case of being understaffed. I can imagine like 3 guys huddled up in a corner at dealtree's warehouse sorting through hundreds of game trade-ins while the TV and Laptop trade in guys throw rejected copies of Two Worlds 2 at them and then drive away in their '81 Firebird.

[quote name='karatebear']I suspect it's just a severe case of being understaffed. I can imagine like 3 guys huddled up in a corner at dealtree's warehouse sorting through hundreds of game trade-ins while the TV and Laptop trade in guys throw rejected copies of Two Worlds 2 at them and then drive away in their '81 Firebird.[/QUOTE]

wha.. what..?

Well like I mentioned earlier I sent in SMG in the beginning of May. I locked in 3 copies but wasn't sure which sku and the dealtree website listed 3 skus so I locked in 3 of each (So 9 copies, even though I planned on sending in just three copies of the correct sku once I received my shipment from amazon). Long story short this week I received a GC for $270 even though I only sent in three copies and should have got a GC for $90.

They need to get their act together or they will bleed out money

[quote name='GBAstar']Well like I mentioned earlier I sent in SMG in the beginning of May. I locked in 3 copies but wasn't sure which sku and the dealtree website listed 3 skus so I locked in 3 of each (So 9 copies, even though I planned on sending in just three copies of the correct sku once I received my shipment from amazon). Long story short this week I received a GC for $270 even though I only sent in three copies and should have got a GC for $90.

They need to get their act together or they will bleed out money[/QUOTE]

Dude Spend that shit on kindle cards NOW Before they void it.

[quote name='GBAstar']Well like I mentioned earlier I sent in SMG in the beginning of May. I locked in 3 copies but wasn't sure which sku and the dealtree website listed 3 skus so I locked in 3 of each (So 9 copies, even though I planned on sending in just three copies of the correct sku once I received my shipment from amazon). Long story short this week I received a GC for $270 even though I only sent in three copies and should have got a GC for $90.

They need to get their act together or they will bleed out money[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah! :hot: You're going to return it right?;)Go get a iPod.

[quote name='scarhawk']Shit.
I shoulda locked in extra copies of games I only have one of D:[/QUOTE]

I shall attempt to do this fraudulent activity with INTEGRITY.
I'm accidentally gonna have more than i should :D

Sending in Crysis 2 tomorrow.
It says Limited Edition on the disc but there's no manual/cover art so therefore no UPC.
If there's any problems I'll just call them.

[quote name='scarhawk']Sending in Crysis 2 tomorrow.
It says Limited Edition on the disc but there's no manual/cover art so therefore no UPC.
If there's any problems I'll just call them.[/QUOTE]

let us know how it goes on July 28th 2011 :D

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Dude Spend that shit on kindle cards NOW Before they void it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='scarhawk']Shit.
I shoulda locked in extra copies of games I only have one of D:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Toss']Hell yeah! :hot: You're going to return it right?;)Go get a iPod.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DudeImGodly']I shall attempt to do this fraudulent activity with INTEGRITY.
I'm accidentally gonna have more than i should :D[/QUOTE]

I'm skeptical that they'll ever catch the error; the paperwork that the gift card came with stated it was for $270 and when I used the online checker it said $270 as well. Just to be safe I think I'm going to combine all the loose BB gift cards onto one (do they allow that?).

They won't catch it, but to be safe just convert it all to kindle cards...done deal. It happened to me recently also but I was only credited for 1 game I did not send in.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']let us know how it goes on July 28th 2011 :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the waiting period sucks.
I'll probably just call them a few days after they receive it to hopefully speed up the process.

[quote name='GBAstar']I'm skeptical that they'll ever catch the error; the paperwork that the gift card came with stated it was for $270 and when I used the online checker it said $270 as well. Just to be safe I think I'm going to combine all the loose BB gift cards onto one (do they allow that?).[/QUOTE]

Nope from my experience the gift card has to be inactivated, but seriously go to bestbuy tomorrow and turn that shit into kindle cards before its too late.
Think of the extra $180 as them saying thank you for being patient. :D

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Its always been about a month for them to acknowledge receiving your item then about two weeks after that you'll receive credit.[/QUOTE]

Well, it didn't take Dealtree nearly that long a year ago when I traded stuff directly to them for cash. They took a few days longer than Amazon to acknowledge receipt and then a long time to pay out - but at least they listed them as received fairly quickly. Like I said, I don't care if they take a month to mail the cards, but at least show that everything is in order so I don't worry about it.

[quote name='io']Well, it didn't take Dealtree nearly that long a year ago when I traded stuff directly to them for cash. They took a few days longer than Amazon to acknowledge receipt and then a long time to pay out - but at least they listed them as received fairly quickly. Like I said, I don't care if they take a month to mail the cards, but at least show that everything is in order so I don't worry about it.[/QUOTE]

the worst part is now you could literally drive to Bestbuy/Dealtree (since BB bought Dealtree out) had them your stuff with the trade in number written on the box, and they wouldn't update it for another month or until two weeks after you call.

I tried searching the thread prior but nothing came up so I apologize if this has been answered.

Can you trade a few of the same game in at one best buy store and then trade a few of the same game at another best buy store? I know trading online you can only trade 3 of a certain game. Just wondering if you could do 2 at one store and 2 at another.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='GBAstar']I'm skeptical that they'll ever catch the error; the paperwork that the gift card came with stated it was for $270 and when I used the online checker it said $270 as well. Just to be safe I think I'm going to combine all the loose BB gift cards onto one (do they allow that?).[/QUOTE]

From all these various trades, I've had multiple gift cards and I consolidate them all into 1, its fairly easy. I'm not one to run out to buy Kindle gift cards b/c sometimes (though rarely), BB does have some decent deals. I'll only turn it into an amazon GC when I absolutely need something from AMZ. Nice though, lucky you. I sent in Oblivion GOTY and locked in 1 of each UPC and they sent me 1 $25GC for the 1 game I sent in.

you can trade in as many copies as you want in store. there is no limit. just don't kill the goose and try to trade in too many at once. space that shia out.

[quote name='Velo214']you can trade in as many copies as you want in store. there is no limit. just don't kill the goose and try to trade in too many at once. space that shia out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information!

[quote name='Velo214']you can trade in as many copies as you want in store. there is no limit. just don't kill the goose and try to trade in too many at once. space that shia out.[/QUOTE]

The BBY employee told me I can only trade in 3 copies of the same game per year. I am just curious where you get this information. Thanks a lot.

Go to different best buys if you want to trade more than 3 of the same title. I dont believe their systems check with each other at least not in real time so if you do it all in the same day you should be fine.

At least it has been like this for awhile, so ymmv perhaps

Good until they catch you and then permaban! Is knowingly breaking the rules worth the risk of never being able to trade there again? I guess it is for some :whee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back