Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chuckywang']Yeah, I once had like 7 BB gift cards lying around. It's annoying. I don't understand why they can't just add credit to an existing gift card. BB seriously has to streamline their trade-in process in order to compete with GS.

Here is the GS process:
1) Take in games to store
2) GS scans each game (or looks up title on games without UPCs) and computer totals it out, automatically applies promos/bonuses, to give you your grand total
3) They do a 5 sec visual check of your ID (depending on state)
4) They put credit on your existing card

Here is the BB process:
1) Take in games to store
2) BB has to manually look up every single game, typing in UPC numbers by hand.
3) You have to tell them to apply any promos/bonuses yourself. If you don't know any, you ain't getting any.
4) You hand BB your ID, they look up and input your info into their system every time, as well as ask you for your phone number.
5) They print out sheets of paper for every game and make you sign it.
6) They have to put credit on a brand new gift card, which (if you get somebody new doing it) takes a lot of trial and error to get it applied.

I've had trade-ins at BB take upwards of 30 minutes for just a few games. It's ridiculous, but hey, they were providing the best trade-in values.[/QUOTE]

I don't even have a gift card with GS. They just have it associated with my phone number/GS member number. Prints out your balance every time at the end of the receipt. Much easier to use in case I forget my gift cards at home one day, lose wallet or something.

yes you can always combine your BB GCs together. Actually the technical way of looking at it is you are buying a new GC with your current GCs. Like if you have 5 x $20 GCs you can just take a new one to the cashier and tell them you want to buy a $100 GC and pay with GCs you have already. If they ask why just tell them you want to give a GC as a present and one new GC looks better than a bunch of random GCs.

[quote name='jbz']I don't even have a gift card with GS. They just have it associated with my phone number/GS member number. Prints out your balance every time at the end of the receipt. Much easier to use in case I forget my gift cards at home one day, lose wallet or something.[/QUOTE]

It's mostly the same extact thing like gamestop $15 service, but these magazine come with coupons as compared to Game informer. Edge goes to BB. Does anyone else's BB have a section for used games?

[quote name='Royal High Knight']It's mostly the same extact thing like gamestop $15 service, but these magazine come with coupons as compared to Game informer. Edge goes to BB. Does anyone else's BB have a section for used games?[/QUOTE]

If by used games you mean a section with games that are over priced like $35 copies of fallout new vegas then yep.

GS didnt have any copies of Child of Eden on sale that I could trade almost even money for back to BB. Sucks cuz I have too much credit saved up there at GS when all the deals are at BB

Question for anyone who has done the 2 for 50:

Those of us who have been doing in store trade ins for a while all recall that when they had the 3 for $XX or the 2 for $XX the trade in estimator showed the TIV for any one of those games as either 1/3 or 1/2 of that XX amount. However, this time the TIV for a game such as Child of Eden is only 18. This leaves me wondering whether there will be an issue if you trade in 2 of these games (ie relying on the Blue Shirt to do something) or if their system will automatically bump the values. Has anyone actually done the current trade in deal yet?

I think that's a big part of the deal. I'm thinking about buying Brink for $20, playing it for a day or two, and trading it in with Mario Party 8.

[quote name='Taboner']I think that's a big part of the deal. I'm thinking about buying Brink for $20, playing it for a day or two, and trading it in with Mario Party 8.[/QUOTE]

The base for Mario Party 8 is $22 at GS. Why not trade it in at GS for 50% + 10% PUR and purchase a used copy of Child of Eden(26.99) to trade in at Best Buy? You'll get your $50 at Best Buy and an extra $10 at GS. Granted it's rare to find a used copy of Eden, but definitely a good deal if it's available.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']The base for Mario Party 8 is $22 at GS. Why not trade it in at GS for 50% + 10% PUR and purchase a used copy of Child of Eden(26.99) to trade in at Best Buy? You'll get your $50 at Best Buy and an extra $10 at GS. Granted it's rare to find a used copy of Eden, but definitely a good deal if it's available.[/QUOTE]

Because I hate GS, their employees, and I could buy Amazon gift cards with my BB gift cards. Explain the deal a bit more though? 50% + 10%?

[quote name='Taboner']Because I hate GS, their employees, and I could buy Amazon gift cards with my BB gift cards. Explain the deal a bit more though? 50% + 10%?[/QUOTE]

If you trade in a game and buy a used game, you get 50% extra for your trade. So you would get 22 + 11. The other 10% ($2.20) is if you have a Power Up Rewards Pro card. It also gets you 10% off used games which would make the $26.99 game only cost 24.29. If your state doesn't require sales tax on games bought with credit, you'll get 22+11+2.20-24.29 = 10.91 + Child of Eden. Child of Eden + Brink = $50 at Best Buy. However if you hate GS, then you won't have PUR Pro. I hate them too which is why I like getting anything free through them.

[quote name='Taboner']Because I hate GS, their employees, and I could buy Amazon gift cards with my BB gift cards. Explain the deal a bit more though? 50% + 10%?[/QUOTE]

You get a 50% bonus for tradin in towards any used merchandise. You will get an additional 10% for PUR. He is then telling you to purchase child of Eden to trade to BB as it is pretty much a straight trade to get GS credit to BB credit so you can buy amazon GC.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']You get a 50% bonus for tradin in towards any used merchandise. You will get an additional 10% for PUR. He is then telling you to purchase child of Eden to trade to BB as it is pretty much a straight trade to get GS credit to BB credit so you can buy amazon GC.[/QUOTE]

consarnit, good to know, wish I had read this before I went out today.

also, one of my local best buys now suddenly has a bazillion used games with a decent selection and a musical instruments (!) special area (like the fancy home theater area).

[quote name='Taboner']What's the used game sale of the week?[/QUOTE]

I would bet on fallout NV or Two Worlds 2 or SWTFU2. Lol. way too Many got flipped to nit have a deal on then sometime

I checked the store locator that does trade-ins. It says Video game trade-in w/receipt. I guess if I don't have a receipt, I can't trade it in there? I didn't get the game from BestBuy. Actually I don't have a receipt for it since I won it online. It doesn't have a bar code too. So what now?

[quote name='D0RC']I checked the store locator that does trade-ins. It says Video game trade-in w/receipt. I guess if I don't have a receipt, I can't trade it in there? I didn't get the game from BestBuy. Actually I don't have a receipt for it since I won it online. It doesn't have a bar code too. So what now?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, prob means that store you're looking at only takes games bought at BB and you have to keep the darn receipt. Stupid, I know. Most ppl lose their receipts after a few months, so I don't know why there's a policy like this.

Either find the next closest BB store that does trades w/o receipt, or check Amazon or GS' TIV for it.

[quote name='bh47']Yeah, prob means that store you're looking at only takes games bought at BB and you have to keep the darn receipt. Stupid, I know. Most ppl lose their receipts after a few months, so I don't know why there's a policy like this.

Either find the next closest BB store that does trades w/o receipt, or check Amazon or GS' TIV for it.[/QUOTE]Thanks! I found another store not too far that takes it with no receipt. :applause:

Man BB has spoiled us with the 30%,40% and 50% bonus credit promos. This one feels weak in comparison since you need to have a few select games to make it work for you. Hopefully there is a great promo for next week.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']My Best Buy is offering a 25% bonus if you trade in at least 2 games. Don't know if any one else has that deal going on so you might want to call them.[/QUOTE]

Where is your Best Buy?

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Trade 2, Get 25% More
Trade in 2 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit
Offer expires 08/27/2011[/QUOTE]

I hope they want some Blood Stone because I know where some copies are going now.

$13 * 2 * 1.25 = $32.50 Not bad.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']I hope they want some Blood Stone because I know where some copies are going now.

$13 * 2 * 1.25 = $32.50 Not bad.[/QUOTE]

I'm doing exactly that. Stupid GS credit.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']I'm doing exactly that. Stupid GS credit.[/QUOTE]

LOL. I'm with ya man. I got $80 at GS and have just been sitting on it. I'll buy a few 007 today if can and trade em.

[quote name='chuckywang']Um why not? The 2 for $50 promos usually just means each game is $25 base.[/QUOTE]

But not all of them are... So no the promos do not stack. If te TiV of one game is $25 then you don't need the 2/$50 promo, so it would be a moot point then. But there are games that have a less than $25 TiV that are on the 2/$50 (mainly $22 or $23 TiVgames). So no if you are boosting a lower TiV up for the 2/$50 then it will not stack.

If the base TiV is at $25, I don't understand why you are asking to get the 2/$50 as you don't need it.

[quote name='sasuke543']I'm confused, is he 2 for $50 only good towards NCAA football 2012? Or can I just get the gift card?[/QUOTE]

GC. No limitation on what u have to spend it on

Is the 25% going on now? I have some games I know I'd get more for at Best Buy with this than at Gamestop that I've been looking to unload.

[quote name='Gosha']Is the 25% going on now? I have some games I know I'd get more for at Best Buy with this than at Gamestop that I've been looking to unload.[/QUOTE]

My store has had the 25% going on for about 1 1/2 months now. It has just always been trumped by the other better deals. Not sure if it was a nationwide thing or not though

I think I may damn well dump my Conduit 2 and Castlevania 360. they both normally get 13.00 each by their estimator, but with their promo it's included int he 2 for 50. %0 more bucks for a new 3ds come next month^^

[quote name='shivan128']Just came back from my best buy to trade in some games. The promo is on now... trade in 2 games and get a 25% bonus.[/QUOTE]

Same. I asked if this was a nationwide thing and they said it should be.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Come on guys, I just copied the promo from the BB website and you guys still have doubts? Even if your local BB says no the promo will work since it has been programmed into the system. Click on "Show promotions available in stores only" in this link http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm#[/QUOTE]

Just got back from my Best Buy and extra 25% works. Sorry arsenal fan but I couldn't find the link to the deal you posted so wasn't sure if it was regional.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Come on guys, I just copied the promo from the BB website and you guys still have doubts? Even if your local BB says no the promo will work since it has been programmed into the system. Click on "Show promotions available in stores only" in this link http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm#[/QUOTE]

TYVM as I have never seen that link before. Has that always been there about the in store options? Or was it new since dealtree got kicked to the curb?

In fairness, I didn't stop on the way home and trade in some games, since I'd never seen that link and could not find it on the webpage at all. Not that I thought you were making it up, just that it could have been a ymmv type of thing or something (plus I figure that they will probably have a higher % deal in the next week with some kind of pre-order anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back