Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vader582']While doing some trading last night, I was told the same thing about a week extension for the trade bonus by the dept. supervisor. I hope he was right too.

He also mentioned BB wanting to improve their used game stock so that they can offer promos like "make a preorder, get a used game half off" etc. I'm not hugely keen on BB but this is one area they seem to be improving.[/QUOTE]

I'm a huge fan of their trade in program. I especially like that the prices are quoted online. That means I don't have to call every time I want to find out the price of a trade. Very convenient if you ask me.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I especially like that the prices are quoted online. That means I don't have to call every time I want to find out the price of a trade. Very convenient if you ask me.[/QUOTE]
I agree. Having to call around to find TIVs from GS on 37 games would have been a PITA. Last night I knew exactly how much I should get back before even entering the store. For me, that lessens the feeling of trader's remorse.

[quote name='Vader582']I agree. Having to call around to find TIVs from GS on 37 games would have been a PITA. Last night I knew exactly how much I should get back before even entering the store. For me, that lessens the feeling of trader's remorse.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you mean man.

2 for $50 but it looks like you actually have to buy something this time. I looked at the list real quick and FYI Castlevania:LOS is a good trade on this deal. It is $13 normally and $19.50 last week with the 50% bonus. Getting $25 this week for it is nice if you have a game you want. It does not specify anything but "new release"...not sure what that will mean.

Edit: It also looks like TIVs are sticking right now...no increases to make up for the promo.

[quote name='jrod69']Where did you get castlevania so cheap?[/QUOTE]

He's talking about the trade-in value.

The trade-in 2 for $50 just doesn't look good. Just like the Target "deal" last week.

Just left BB; those of us who were told that the 50% bonus would be active this week received bad intel. :cry:

Well, it looks like I'll definitely do the bulk of my trading to GS this week using the 50% bump towards a pre-owned purchase, then try to find a few things to flip over to BB.

[quote name='jrod69']Where did you get castlevania so cheap?[/QUOTE]

I was talking about the TIV but I did get my copy for $17.99 shipped from PC Richards last week...they had about 45 copies in their clearance page but they went fast.

[quote name='Donutkid2222']so is this confirmed at the promotion is still going on? I tried to call but they don't pick up the phone.[/QUOTE]

I tried calling, which is always a crapshoot, and they said that it's only the 2 for 50 deal. I guess there is probably some flips out there or whatever, but I'm just not feeling it today, so I think I'm just going to drink or something ;)

[quote name='Vader582']I agree. Having to call around to find TIVs from GS on 37 games would have been a PITA. Last night I knew exactly how much I should get back before even entering the store. For me, that lessens the feeling of trader's remorse.[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel. I did the same thing. Some employees say they are not allowed to give TIV's over the phone, others say they can give only 3-4, then when you do get someone that is willing to give you all the TIV's you are put on hold so they can help customers in line. Oh well that's shows you how persistent you are and tells us that you are a true flipper =)

[quote name='lordopus99']My store location had up the sign for extra 50% when preordering. Sign showed date ending 7/31. Employee confirmed it.[/QUOTE]

With all the mixed info, it's possible it's YMMV. While talking to the employees during my trades, they would always be talking about the amount of games they have been receiving. I'll call and see what's going on. Not sure why no one picks up because when I call they have some prompt letting me know how many people they are helping before I called (not sure if it's accurate or actually knows since the times the automated system answered there were always 4 people who called before me).

[quote name='lordopus99']My store location had up the sign for extra 50% when preordering. Sign showed date ending 7/31. Employee confirmed it.[/QUOTE]
where is this store located, i would like to know if it's around me so i can trade in my copy of MvC3 at max value

Yeah, im gonna flip my extra blops at gamestop. +50% towards preowned. gonna pickup dj hero 1 for 7.99 lol to go with my new turntables thanx to tru ;)

You sure you weren't at GS...The promo would most likely end on a Saturday the 30th...Heading out to do some trades...Best Buy is across from a GS so I'll stop by and check.

Edit: No go deal ended...

Two for $50 isn't bad. Might need to offload my PS3 copy of Portal 2 (since I have it on steam) and then maybe my Dungeon Siege III so I can mark another game off my holiday list.

[quote name='intoxicates']You sure you weren't at GS...The promo would most likely end on a Saturday the 30th...Heading out to do some trades...Best Buy is across from a GS so I'll stop by and check.

Edit: No go deal ended...[/QUOTE]
100% was in Best Buy on Sunday using credit to get an XBLA card. Not denying the idea that the promo should end 7/30, the sign said 7/31. I asked the employee in the gaming department if the offer was still going, he said it was. Note I did not trade any titles that day.

[quote name='lordopus99']100% was in Best Buy on Sunday using credit to get an XBLA card. Not denying the idea that the promo should end 7/30, the sign said 7/31. I asked the employee in the gaming department if the offer was still going, he said it was. Note I did not trade any titles that day.[/QUOTE]

May I ask what part of the country you are in? Maybe it is region specific?

2 for $50

Trade in two select games for a $50 Best Buy gift card toward the purchase of NCAA Football 12 or another new release.

grrr, I guess they are doing the gamestop way of makign you purchase a new release with your credit. That sucks. I guess I can just return but still, rather have a % bonus. 2 for 50 for blops sucks, 2 for 50 for brink i guess is better, lol.

peace

I guess I'm just gonna have to mosey on down to my closest BB today and see what they say about the 50% promo; I am confident that they will give it to me if it's in the computer. I have somewhat of a dilema, because the bulk of my Hastings 40% off order should be showing up today or tomorrow. I had the intention of trading most of the stuff to BB, but without the 50% bonus, it's really not as worthwhile. If I go the GS route with the 60% bump towards purchasing pre-owned I can get about the same values, but I need to find some stuff to get some more credit back to BB (I know about Child of Eden). I suppose I could sit on the GS credit for a bit and see what goes on sale, but I don't want to risk BB's TIV's dipping too much lower.

[quote name='sgaldis']I guess I'm just gonna have to mosey on down to my closest BB today and see what they say about the 50% promo; I am confident that they will give it to me if it's in the computer. I have somewhat of a dilema, because the bulk of my Hastings 40% off order should be showing up today or tomorrow. I had the intention of trading most of the stuff to BB, but without the 50% bonus, it's really not as worthwhile. If I go the GS route with the 60% bump towards purchasing pre-owned I can get about the same values, but I need to find some stuff to get some more credit back to BB (I know about Child of Eden). I suppose I could sit on the GS credit for a bit and see what goes on sale, but I don't want to risk BB's TIV's dipping too much lower.[/QUOTE]

I always seem to have some credit at GS. That is until they have a b2g1. They have other sales that net you some once in a while, but most b2g1 I can find a double my money item.

Although I will say I am playing BB trade in a little tighter now since people are starting to get banned from trading.

I would prolly trade to GS and wait for a better flip. Unless you need the money now.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Although I will say I am playing BB trade in a little tighter now since people are starting to get banned from trading.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya on that. I've definitely slowed down my trades up there, as well, but not totally on my own initiative...:) First off, I put off trading in a bunch of TDU2's that I got from the midnight sale a few weeks back, then the value plummeted last week when it went on sale in store. When a few games from my Hastings order from last week were here mid-week, I put off taking them in to see if I could wait on the rest, and just take one or two large batches in. Well, they haven't shown yet, and I was too busy on Saturday to even get up to BB with what I had. All in all, probably not a bad thing though, 'cause it can never hurt to just law low for awhile. :cool:

[quote name='dorkyden']people got banned from trading? care to explain more?[/QUOTE]

There have been probably 10-15 people posting that when they went in to trade in some games it popped up that they weren't allowed to (forget the specific wording). This was across different forums, but they are all using the same terminology so it at least sounds legit.

I don't know what made them become banned it could have been that they traded in a 1,000 copies of a flip or that they could of pissed off a manager that looked up their trades an saw more than 3 of 1 game/1 System that was just looking for something to pin to them. I will say it does specifically state that they can deny a trade in for any reason, so it isn't outside their policy.

Also they may be able to redeem their status to be able to trade in, but I figured some kind of legislation was going to be put in place sooner or later. But I personally am just being a little more under the radar.

So asking anyone here....does your BB's combine your game trade in cards or do you just just have a bunch of them lying around now? I get a new card every time I trade games in, but would prefer it just be a running total like how GS does it.

[quote name='jbz']So asking anyone here....does your BB's combine your game trade in cards or do you just just have a bunch of them lying around now? I get a new card every time I trade games in, but would prefer it just be a running total like how GS does it.[/QUOTE]

Personally i havent been able to but other people have.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Personally i havent been able to but other people have.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I asked once and the guy told me "We can do it, but we're not really supposed to."

[quote name='jbz']So asking anyone here....does your BB's combine your game trade in cards or do you just just have a bunch of them lying around now? I get a new card every time I trade games in, but would prefer it just be a running total like how GS does it.[/QUOTE]

I have a bunch of gift cards. It is possible to wipe out whatever credit was on your card previously so I'd rather not take the chance. If you do try to add credit make sure you have them check how much is on there before adding the credit. I've returned purchases made through gift cards and they are able to return the credit on any gift card you have. When you accumulate a bunch of credit it's better to have multiple cards so u can leave them at home just in case you get robbed or lose them while you're out =)

Yeah, I once had like 7 BB gift cards lying around. It's annoying. I don't understand why they can't just add credit to an existing gift card. BB seriously has to streamline their trade-in process in order to compete with GS.

Here is the GS process:
1) Take in games to store
2) GS scans each game (or looks up title on games without UPCs) and computer totals it out, automatically applies promos/bonuses, to give you your grand total
3) They do a 5 sec visual check of your ID (depending on state)
4) They put credit on your existing card

Here is the BB process:
1) Take in games to store
2) BB has to manually look up every single game, typing in UPC numbers by hand.
3) You have to tell them to apply any promos/bonuses yourself. If you don't know any, you ain't getting any.
4) You hand BB your ID, they look up and input your info into their system every time, as well as ask you for your phone number.
5) They print out sheets of paper for every game and make you sign it.
6) They have to put credit on a brand new gift card, which (if you get somebody new doing it) takes a lot of trial and error to get it applied.

I've had trade-ins at BB take upwards of 30 minutes for just a few games. It's ridiculous, but hey, they were providing the best trade-in values.

[quote name='Japakneez']I have a 'game trade in' card. I have added trade-in credit to it and also credit from returns.[/QUOTE]

Are gc's from trade-ins replaceable if lost like standard gc's are if you have the receipt?

I haven't lost mine but would I wonder if it would work the same way or if the trade-ins make it a seperate issue.

Now, this is interesting. I skimmed through the 2 for 50 list and noticed that Castlevania and Yakuza 4 are there. Individually, they don't total to 50. Would this be an upgrade to the system or some horrible lies they're making up?

[quote name='Interfeci']Now, this is interesting. I skimmed through the 2 for 50 list and noticed that Castlevania and Yakuza 4 are there. Individually, they don't total to 50. Would this be an upgrade to the system or some horrible lies they're making up?[/QUOTE]

how the system works.

Just got a bestbuy gamerzone email. I don't feel like starting a new thread for it :eek:

The game is changing. New benefits. New rewards.
It's a whole new way to play the game.

Reward Zone® Gamers Club is leveling up. On September 12, 2011,
you will begin earning double points on new game software, including
digital content and accessories purchases. Plus, for $14.99 per year,
you can join the optional paid level—Gamers Club Unlocked—where
you'll enjoy access to even greater benefits:

• A free subscription to @Gamer, the exclusive gaming magazine

• 10% off all pre-owned software purchases

• 10% bonus credit on trade-in software

• Reward Zone Gamers Club exclusive offers Between now and September 11, 2011, you will continue to earn 500 bonus points for every $150 you spend on video games, PC games and video game accessories at Best Buy® stores or BestBuy.com®.

Then on September 12, 2011, you'll automatically be part of the new Reward Zone Gamers Club. And you'll have the opportunity to visit a Best Buy store and 'level up' to Reward Zone Gamers Club Unlocked. And because you’ve been a loyal Gamers Club member, we want to give you a preview of the new club. So going back to June 1, 2011, you'll also earn double points on all new software and accessories purchases.

All this plus the Reward Zone points you earn every day for nearly all your Best Buy purchases, including gaming hardware. For the latest Reward Zone Gamers Club information, visit MyRZ.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back