Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='musicjunkie']I find all this YMMV stuff weird. At the BB I work at we take

-Disc only.
-Not for resale. Simply toss out the cover art.
-No receipt. This varies because of weird state pawn laws though

All of this as no reduced rate. There is no 'refurb' fee like as GS so we either take it for the full value or not at all.[/QUOTE]

Can I come to your store,

[quote name='musicjunkie']I find all this YMMV stuff weird. At the BB I work at we take

-Disc only.

All of this as no reduced rate. There is no 'refurb' fee like as GS so we either take it for the full value or not at all.[/QUOTE]

Can I come to your store, you guys are cool.

Hadn't traded in for like 3 weeks, since I've been busy. Did a little trade in tonight (forgot about the fact that I'd need to preorder something to get the bonus, so it was actually a kind of crappy trade). New girl working at my closest store was kind of a bitch, but you'll all be happy to know that I was able to trade in. Some weird stuff happened with the pre-order, but other than that, everything is working as intended.

-Disc only.

Same at the store I work at. I traded in not for resale Killzone 3, scratched upc Infamous 2 and drilled upc Gran Turismo 5 in with no problems.

[quote name='Velo214']at crestwood bestbuy? was it Rae or Jessica? they are cool[/QUOTE]

South County. I live in SoCo, but when I am on my way back from work, I have access to brentwood and crestwood. I'd prefer crestwood, since they seem much nicer since they moved it to the "gaming area" for trade ins (that girl that used to do it at the geek squad area was brutal) and since you have them so well trained, but I needed to stop by the house before doing the trade today. Mostly I just wanted to do a test run since I'd not done anything for weeks.

[quote name='Rumors']Is mvc 3 ultimate available for preorder? Trading my copy up for only 16 or so dollars doesn't seem too bad[/QUOTE]

wasnt able to be preordered yet when i went to trade in my SE disc..so i preordered something random (cuz i HAD to according to the guy...ugh) and will go cancel and switch to umvc3 when its available

Anyone have trouble trading in games with NOT FOR RESALE on them? I have LBP2 CE and I don't play it anymore and can wait for the eventual GOTY edition to come out to get back in it.

I had an online chat with customer service but that was no help really. They said to call ahead and I could just imagine how confusing that phone call could get.

[quote name='Josh5890']Anyone have trouble trading in games with NOT FOR RESALE on them? I have LBP2 CE and I don't play it anymore and can wait for the eventual GOTY edition to come out to get back in it.

I had an online chat with customer service but that was no help really. They said to call ahead and I could just imagine how confusing that phone call could get.[/QUOTE]

Take. It. In. Without. The. Art.

The employees refusing to take NOT FOR RESALE games are just the laziest mo-fos. They don't want to be bothered to type the game title into the search field, so if it can't be scanned, they just brush you off with a "No, we can't take it."

So basically, I can go to Best Buy, grab the pre-order slip for Catherine next week, trade in any game and get 50% more for it? Or is it only for certain pre-order games?

[quote name='Neg']So basically, I can go to Best Buy, grab the pre-order slip for Catherine next week, trade in any game and get 50% more for it? Or is it only for certain pre-order games?[/QUOTE]

I believe it's on any preorder. I preordered Gears of War 3, but I'm going to cancel it because I don't pay full price for games. Thanks to this site!

[quote name='Neg']So basically, I can go to Best Buy, grab the pre-order slip for Catherine next week, trade in any game and get 50% more for it? Or is it only for certain pre-order games?[/QUOTE]
U can't next week. It ends Saturday.

What's sad is after checking prices of the games, even without the 50%, I will be doing better than going to gamestop with the 50% bonus added. :lol: Plus best buy apparently has the game I want (Monster Tale for the DS while gamestop does not).

Anyway question, I never traded into best buy before so how do I preorder a game while trading in games so I get the 50% bonus or essentially what should I do to make the transaction as painless and as easy as possible.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']What's sad is after checking prices of the games, even without the 50%, I will be doing better than going to gamestop with the 50% bonus added. :lol: Plus best buy apparently has the game I want (Monster Tale for the DS while gamestop does not).

Anyway question, I never traded into best buy before so how do I preorder a game while trading in games so I get the 50% bonus or essentially what should I do to make the transaction as painless and as easy as possible.[/QUOTE]

Just tell the employee you are trading your games into that you want to preorder a game to get the 50% bonus. If you are going to buy something else on the same visit they might give you 50% bonus before they ring you up for the preorder just so they don't have to do two transactions YMMV.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Pre-order at the trade in counter[/QUOTE]
Ok thanks, I will tell them that I want to put $5 down on skyward sword to get the 50% bonus and then take the rest as a giftcard to get my game.

[quote name='Stimes']Just tell the employee you are trading your games into that you want to preorder a game to get the 50% bonus. If you are going to buy something else on the same visit they might give you 50% bonus before they ring you up for the preorder just so they don't have to do two transactions YMMV.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jacknicklson']Pre-order at the trade in counter[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks. Yeah I just want to put $5 down on skyward sword because I am buying a DS game today with my credit. I will tell them I am putting $5 down on a game to get the bonus and then put the rest on a giftcard.

I had my girlfriend trade in 7 games for me cuz I'm over my limit lol and got $168 after the bonus. I had a $65 dollar GC from a trade in prior and bought $225 of Amazon Kindle cards mwuahahaha.

Do Kindle Cards work for anything on Amazon? Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm really not sure. If so, I'm definitely going to go buy some.

[quote name='hustletron']I had my girlfriend trade in 7 games for me cuz I'm over my limit lol and got $168 after the bonus. I had a $65 dollar GC from a trade in prior and bought $225 of Amazon Kindle cards mwuahahaha.[/QUOTE]

if you dont mind me asking, How did you become over the limit? I never knew they had a limit? Did the computer tell them you cant trade in more in or did someone in the store remember you and told you no?

[quote name='brauma']Do Kindle Cards work for anything on Amazon? Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm really not sure. If so, I'm definitely going to go buy some.[/QUOTE]

Yes anything.

[quote name='hustletron']I had my girlfriend trade in 7 games for me cuz I'm over my limit lol and got $168 after the bonus. I had a $65 dollar GC from a trade in prior and bought $225 of Amazon Kindle cards mwuahahaha.[/QUOTE]

I do the same thing. It's how I paid for $250 of my HTPC I built.

Just got the 50% bonus without preordering a game! The employee told me I had to pre-order a game. But when she gave me the gift card I just walked out without pre-ordering lol.

[quote name='stuntrogue']if you dont mind me asking, How did you become over the limit? I never knew they had a limit? Did the computer tell them you cant trade in more in or did someone in the store remember you and told you no?[/QUOTE]

Well when they first started their program I bought 5 copies of the Sims 3, 3 360 and 2 PS3, the website clearly states you can trade up to 3 copies of a game per format.

I tried to flip all 5 and the douchebag kid told me he couldn't because "the computer wouldn't let him."

Instead of arguing with him I took the rest of the copies to another BB and did a no receipt return, which is what the girl chose to do, I didn't ask for it but I took it anyway cuz it gave me like 3 extra bucks.

I've traded in 4 copies of Dead Space 2 to Bestbuy, that they know about, this would make it my 5th copy today.

I think they track you by your phone number because I've been able to successfully trade in over 3 copies of the same game and format before with 2 different phone numbers, or maybe they just weren't tracking very good. Either way I didn't want them to NOT take my stuff so I had my girl do it.

The guy also tried to tell me he couldn't take my NOT FOR RESALE collector's edition copy of KZ3, I told him they have before and he just needs to manually find it. He called his manager over and he took it.

[quote name='goober3']Just got the 50% bonus without preordering a game! The employee told me I had to pre-order a game. But when she gave me the gift card I just walked out without pre-ordering lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the guy almost forget to have me preorder too, I put $5 on Gears.

Just traded in Killzone 3 for 37.50, what I got it for on Amazon Warehouse, I love playing games for free.

The kiosk guy was pretty knowledgeable and assured me that the trade in deals should keep coming because they want to aggressively attack gamestop. I was worried since there's been no word of a new deal in flyers etc. That it'd go the way of Amazon and stop all trade in offers after getting started. Hopefully they continue to put out the good stuff.

Traded in 4 games
PS3
Marvel Vs Capcom 3
Red Dead Redemtion
Dead Rising 2

Mass Effect

Got $78 credit. Paid off skyward sword and had enough left for monster tale. Going to cost me like $6 in total for both :D

Now the best part was the employee. Not only was he nice, we had a chat about MvC 3. He was really friendly, and well I was impressed at the level of service I got. It's not like lamestop where the employees are jackasses, this guy was awesome, knew what he was doing. He even noticed that I did not have a RZ card and gave me one on the spot no questions asked. I never had that level of service before.

Hats off to best buy.

the Santana Row BB said they DO NOT take games w/o UPC and turned down my Not For Resale KZ3 straight up. :cry: Apparently, they don't take games that are not complete/disc only as well. I was NOT able to use a 5 game pre-order (that I was charged tax on...) I had made a few days ago (transaction must be the same day, she says?) to get the extra 50%, so I made another for BF3. Argh...

[quote name='sirplue']the Santana Row BB said they DO NOT take games w/o UPC and turned down my Not For Resale KZ3 straight up. :cry: Apparently, they don't take games that are not complete/disc only as well. I was NOT able to use a 5 game pre-order (that I was charged tax on...) I had made a few days ago (transaction must be the same day?) to get the extra 50%, so I made another for BF3. Argh...[/QUOTE]

Just go to Blossom Hill/ Almaden Exp. BB, they're way better about taking games and a better store in general. The Santana Row BB is one of the worst in the Bay Area.

[quote name='lordopus99']To quote the worst song ever...
Today is Friday, Tomorrow is Saturday...[/QUOTE]

And Sunday comes afterwards, I don't want this weekend to end.

I'm glad the Alice: Madness Returns value is holding up. It's not a bad game but it's not my thing. I'm still borderline on trading it in.

BB's TIV are so all over the place, but there's some good values. Singularity trades in for $11, so it's worth $16.50 now. Found some copies on clearance at Sears for $7 so that's a nice trade in. Also Fight Night Champion TIV is $21, so I got $31.50 for that. Compared to other sites, those 2 are great trade ins with this 50% deal at BB.

[quote name='jbz']BB's TIV are so all over the place, but there's some good values. Singularity trades in for $11, so it's worth $16.50 now. Found some copies on clearance at Sears for $7 so that's a nice trade in. Also Fight Night Champion TIV is $21, so I got $31.50 for that. Compared to other sites, those 2 are great trade ins with this 50% deal at BB.[/QUOTE]

Yeah ive reported Singularity was a good flip before. Especially during the B1G1 free at BBV, it was $10 or $5 if u get another game. I traded 2 copies in.

Well the plan for tomorrow (if my Fable III and Bulletstorm arrive in the mail from gohastings) is to trade those 2, Singularity (I got for $10 during the Gamefly sale), and Dead Rising 2 I got cheap on Amazon. Going to reserve RAGE or BF3 and I should get $84 after the promo. Only spent $51 on the games so a nice $34 flip. I am still in disbelief about Bulletstorm. I have bought that game for $21, $10, $17 and $14 and been able to trade it for $30, $32.50, $25.50 and $25.50 to Best Buy. I really do not try to abuse the system and I WANT to play this game but as long as I can find it for this cheap and still get that kind of trade I will just keep doing it.

hmmm, so I have Borderlands GOTY edition and BB site is quoting $16 trade in for the PS3 version but only $6 for the 360 version. Typo or do they differ in value like that? This is one game that I see the TIV move frequently

[quote name='jbz']hmmm, so I have Borderlands GOTY edition and BB site is quoting $16 trade in for the PS3 version but only $6 for the 360 version. Typo or do they differ in value like that? This is one game that I see the TIV move frequently[/QUOTE]

They're different on purpose. Considering they were selling the 360 version for $9.99 the past few weeks, sounds about right.

Ah, I forgot about that. Damn. Would be nice to get $24 instead of $9 for that. Looks like I'm holding it. Thanks for the info.

I got Bulletstorm and Majin (from the gf). That's 17+8. Want the Reach statue.
With a Gamestop next door to Best Buy my plan:
walk in and buy a used Reach
Trade in Reach, Bulletstorm and Majin (17+17+8)1.5 = 63
Pull disc out and return it to Gamestop.
Because I don't really want a giftcard.

I pre-ordered Batman from one BB store to get 50% bonus credit. If I want to trade in more games I know I don't need to pre-order another game but can I trade more games into another store with the pre-order receipt. I am confused because I read you can cancel pre-orders only in the store you ordered it from and so wondering if all 50% bonus TIV will apply to that store itself.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']I pre-ordered Batman from one BB store to get 50% bonus credit. If I want to trade in more games I know I don't need to pre-order another game but can I trade more games into another store with the pre-order receipt. I am confused because I read you can cancel pre-orders only in the store you ordered it from and so wondering if all 50% bonus TIV will apply to that store itself.[/QUOTE]

I've no idea what they are "supposed" to do, but I had two BBs let me use the preorder slip from a different BB during the NCAA thing. My guess is that most would let you, but that some would make you pre-order again.

[quote name='DerClaw']I've no idea what they are "supposed" to do, but I had two BBs let me use the preorder slip from a different BB during the NCAA thing. My guess is that most would let you, but that some would make you pre-order again.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I'll try it out and let you'll know.

Heads up. I don't advocate flipping, but if you have a PCR near you you can pick up three copies of Dead Rising 2 for $30 part of their promo and trade them in to BB for $19 a pop. About $25 of profit after tax for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back