Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those getting rid of MvC3, Target gives you 30 for it but you have to have another game to qualify for the 2 for 60.

What I did was use the @gamer coupon I already had and bought Dungeon Siege 3 for 24.99 with BB credit and then used that as my 2nd game to get the 60.

You could then turn around and buy LA Noire for 37.99 and trade it back in for like 37.50 if you wanted to transfer credit.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']What games are people pre-ordering besides NCAA 12?

Edit: I just read Forza 4 can be pre-ordered too.[/QUOTE]

If you are asking which ones you can preorderto get the deal there is a whole thread dedicated to that here. If you are asking which each person is ordering the ln I personally have preordered them all. I am interested in almost all the games, but will only get the ones that work at the best (preorder bonus, price drop trends for PM purposes, sales, gift card and RZ points deals all factor in). I will probably end up just beating a couple quickly and/or flipping a couple to recoup costs. NCAA I got because I just flipped it with the B2G1 sale. So sold 3 at $43 each on craigs to pass on the savings and get the first preorder out of the way.

[quote name='intoxicates']The people on SD/FW most likely don't even play video games.

Spreadsheets definitely come in handy when you have many games with multiple copies.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to play or even enjoy video games to buy and sell them for a profit. My point is that to the SD/FW crowd, it is just an investment vehicle to make money.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Thanks.

I was just wondering, what does BB or for that matter any company gain by offering these bonus TIV's with a pre-order given that pre-orders can be and will most likely be cancelled. I'm unsure what benefit is it to BB. They might as well just advertise a 50% bonus TIV offer.[/QUOTE]

inertia

[quote name='nakanenui']You don't have to play or even enjoy video games to buy and sell them for a profit. My point is that to the SD/FW crowd, it is just an investment vehicle to make money.[/QUOTE]

I'm a pretty casual gamer and whenever I play "serious" games, I tend to get very bored very quickly. I found flipping games a few months ago and I find it more fun than pretty much every game. It's a goofy hobby, but certainly no less a hobby than playing video games, IMO. I don't know if I "make money" flipping video games, but I find it enjoyable. People that trash on whether or not flippers make money is not a valid criticism, IMO, since it would be like me criticizing people that play COD for a couple hours each night because they are not making money doing so.

[quote name='iRandom']you put down $5 for every pre-order so even if people cancel BB still gets the $5[/QUOTE]

That is just not true at all.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Thanks.

I was just wondering, what does BB or for that matter any company gain by offering these bonus TIV's with a pre-order given that pre-orders can be and will most likely be cancelled. I'm unsure what benefit is it to BB. They might as well just advertise a 50% bonus TIV offer.[/QUOTE]

A few reasons:

1) you have to go back into the store to cancel. (I know some CAGs will just cancel right away but most people are like that.) Getting people in the store is a high priority.
2) You might forget about it
3) When it comes time to buy, you will look more favorably on their store because f it, you already have $5 tied up there.

you have to remember that the general consumer does not exhibit cag behavior. a $5 preorder is as good as sold to some people. I wish I knew the industry numbers on it but I gotta think a lot of people follow through on preorders, which is why GS pushes for them at every turn.

Welp, today was a bust.

Had the $5 shopkick coupon I had to spend today. Figured I'd bring Vanquish and Ass.Creed.2 for trade-in, along with my $5 RZ GC. Total of about $34; with, of course, $5 going to a preorder and possibly $5 to an @GAMER mag.

They were out of the Gears TP.
They were out of the LBP GOTY to PM.
They were out of Mario & Luigi to PM.
They were out of Fable III to PM.
They were out of SOCOM 4 @ $39.99.

And there was no one at the games section to take my trades, anyway. :whistle2:/

Ended up killing 20 minutes, and left with an @GAMER mag and a lemonade for $1.80 (used my SK coupon).

This was the Independence, MO store. Normally they're pretty good... but today it really looked like they hadn't restocked games in a month. Was pretty bad.

Oh, and I noticed they were out of Ridge Racer 3D, which is $20 next week. Guess I'll be PM'in elsewhere.

[quote name='confoosious']That is just not true at all.

A few reasons:

1) you have to go back into the store to cancel. (I know some CAGs will just cancel right away but most people are like that.) Getting people in the store is a high priority.
2) You might forget about it
3) When it comes time to buy, you will look more favorably on their store because f it, you already have $5 tied up there.

you have to remember that the general consumer does not exhibit cag behavior. a $5 preorder is as good as sold to some people. I wish I knew the industry numbers on it but I gotta think a lot of people follow through on preorders, which is why GS pushes for them at every turn.[/QUOTE]

Hmm yeah it makes sense. I was talking mainly from a CAG's perspective. Thanks though.

has anyone recently had luck trading in a game with no case/manual? I'm looking to get rid of marvel vs. capcom 3 while its value is still pretty high, but have the SE case and want to keep that

[quote name='themightypencil']has anyone recently had luck trading in a game with no case/manual? I'm looking to get rid of marvel vs. capcom 3 while its value is still pretty high, but have the SE case and want to keep that[/QUOTE]

[quote name='FAQ']
:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.[/QUOTE].

[quote name='themightypencil']yea, i read that on the first page...just was looking for a recent confirmation of it[/QUOTE]
I traded disc only no problem last week. If they require case/manual, go to another BB.

Going to trade 4 games

COD Black Ops $25
PES 2011 $20
Marvel vs Capcom 3 $17
Ps2 Metal Slug 4-5 $2

then add the 50% extra trade -in
Total $96

Does BB get the trade in value from the trade in value estimator?

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']I traded disc only no problem last week. If they require case/manual, go to another BB.[/QUOTE]

Did they took away % from not having the case?

traded in alot of games, 300cred.
the guy was totally cool still, but he was like, wow you do well with the system, lol.
he also was like, so you lost oblivion 5th year steel case or keeping it, and i just straight up told him im keeping all the extras cuz i already have goty edition but i wanted to trade it in and he was cool.
i also flipped the two extra prestige blops i got for 75. woot.
and yeah got rid of MvC3 for 25.50. woot
peace all

above - they dont care if you have the case or not. i even kept the oblivion upc so i can get the $10 back whenev w skyrim.

I have MvC3, but the Special Edition one, though I'm only going to trade in the disc only and keep the sweet PS3 steelbook. $25.50 is going towards Ultimate MvC3. ^_^

Btw, today was my first time trading in games at my BB here in Seattle, WA. Smooth process - got the 50% bonus for pre-ordering Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition for PS3. Brink and Bulletstorm (both PS3) netted me $55. o_O

I'm going back to BB to trade in more games.

Trade in some games yesterday with the 50% bonus. Seems like the used games section is growing at my local Best Buy. In regards to used games, Best Buy is becoming a real competition for Gamestop. The more competition, the better for the consumer.

[quote name='Velo214']traded in alot of games, 300cred.
the guy was totally cool still, but he was like, wow you do well with the system, lol.
he also was like, so you lost oblivion 5th year steel case or keeping it, and i just straight up told him im keeping all the extras cuz i already have goty edition but i wanted to trade it in and he was cool.
i also flipped the two extra prestige blops i got for 75. woot.
and yeah got rid of MvC3 for 25.50. woot
peace all

above - they dont care if you have the case or not. i even kept the oblivion upc so i can get the $10 back whenev w skyrim.[/QUOTE]

Wow. u dont have to show off claiming u traded in 2 BLOPS. U do know some CAG here just wanted the package to add it to their collection.

[quote name='intoxicates']Sample of profit. BFBC2 and Uncharted 2 from BB ($8.20 a piece after B1G1 and tax) trades in to GS for around $22.50 each. Multiply $14.30 by how many copies you can get =). SWFU II $8.20 trades in to BB for $19.50. Multiply $11.30. Point is if you do it right you can make more than 100% profit, for like many of you are saying, is a no-brainer with no risk and easy profit.[/QUOTE]

What is the buy one get one? And where is swfu2 $8.20? I'd like to pick one up just to play at that price

[quote name='scrub0bk']What is the buy one get one? And where is swfu2 $8.20? I'd like to pick one up just to play at that price[/QUOTE]

I think he is talking about Blockbuster B1G1 deal from a few weeks ago.

Dang, I just called two Best Buy's about trading in only the game disc. (I want to trade in Oblivion but keep the 5th anniversary edition stuff) One said I need everything, and one was a little vauge but said that the case was a minimum at least. Not sure what to do now because I already have the game and want to trade this in to get $$$ off Madden 12. Not sure how much I can get at Gamestop for it but it certainly won't be $22.50

[quote name='Josh5890']Dang, I just called two Best Buy's about trading in only the game disc. (I want to trade in Oblivion but keep the 5th anniversary edition stuff) One said I need everything, and one was a little vauge but said that the case was a minimum at least. Not sure what to do now because I already have the game and want to trade this in to get $$$ off Madden 12. Not sure how much I can get at Gamestop for it but it certainly won't be $22.50[/QUOTE]

I think it's 14-15 base so with one of their promos they have got going you'll be right there.

[quote name='nakanenui']You don't have to play or even enjoy video games to buy and sell them for a profit. My point is that to the SD/FW crowd, it is just an investment vehicle to make money.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I wanted to clarify my point of view on who is worse:

Originally Posted by lordopus99
I love people always blaming SD for deals falling. CAGs are just as bad if not worst, especially when it comes to Video Game deals

SD people are worse. Most CAG members play the games =)

just so i'm clear, and this PROBABLY has been asked before, but I can trade in 2 or 3 games, get the extra 50% credit for them and STILL only put $5 down on the preorder, correct??

For instance, Black Ops= $25, Crysis 2= $22...so i could get $37.50 for BO and $33 for Crysis 2, as long as I put just $5 of that down on a preorder, correct?

I'm only trying to think of a way to get maximum trade-in value, but keep most of it on a gift card for something else, not just preorders. That way i can later say "oh, i don't want this game(s) anymore, just gimme my credit back on a gift card"

ya got me, eh, eh? ;)

[quote name='The Punisher']I think he is talking about Blockbuster B1G1 deal from a few weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

Right! After tax for a $14.99 game over here the total is $16.40.

Just to help you all out if you buy a pre-owned game from GS to get the 60%. Many of the dollar sports games that are 99 cents at GS trade into BB for $1. Do the math =)

[quote name='jcp42877']just so i'm clear, and this PROBABLY has been asked before, but I can trade in 2 or 3 games, get the extra 50% credit for them and STILL only put $5 down on the preorder, correct??

;)[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[quote name='intoxicates']SD people are worse. Most CAG members play the games =)[/QUOTE]

If you want to believe that, go ahead.

There have been plenty of deals that were killed and never displayed on SD. The proof is there that CAG is large enough between regs/lurkers to get notice by a corporation to kill a deal.

P.S. I have been in plenty of threads here throughout the years and can vouch there is a big part of the community that actually plays very few games vs the amount they trade in.

[quote name='lordopus99']If you want to believe that, go ahead.

There have been plenty of deals that were killed and never displayed on SD. The proof is there that CAG is large enough between regs/lurkers to get notice by a corporation to kill a deal.

P.S. I have been in plenty of threads here throughout the years and can vouch there is a big part of the community that actually plays very few games vs the amount they trade in.[/QUOTE]

can we become real life friends!!! I agree with you 100%. When people straight up say, I actually have no interest in the game, its just a good flip. It makes me wanna find um and beat um up!! There are plenty of people on here who actually want a deal to find a game to play.

[quote name='Josh5890']Dang, I just called two Best Buy's about trading in only the game disc. (I want to trade in Oblivion but keep the 5th anniversary edition stuff) One said I need everything, and one was a little vauge but said that the case was a minimum at least. Not sure what to do now because I already have the game and want to trade this in to get $$$ off Madden 12. Not sure how much I can get at Gamestop for it but it certainly won't be $22.50[/QUOTE]

It's tough when the supervisors and management do not keep up with policy. I actually went into a store and was denied. The next day I called 3 stores. I selected to speak with Geek Squad at two stores and they said no go with disc only. I called back and selected to speak with a sales associate. One said yes and he will let management and the supervisors know of the new policy. The second said no; however, I let them know the other store told me they allow disc only. The rep put me on hold to check then came back on the phone and apologized and said they do accept disc only.

My apologies if this has been asked, but will BB take my copy of Playstation Move Heroes that I won from HouseParty? The UPC is scratched so that it can't be scanned, but you can still see the numbers.

I don't have a PS Move so I can't use the game.

Thanks ladies and gents.

[quote name='merchie89']can we become real life friends!!! I agree with you 100%. When people straight up say, I actually have no interest in the game, its just a good flip. It makes me wanna find um and beat um up!! There are plenty of people on here who actually want a deal to find a game to play.[/QUOTE]

That's how i feel. I like collecting LE/ CE. I have Gears of war 1, and 2 limited.
But people that buy games using cash still lose because cash is different then gift cards. I guess they flip to be able to get gift cards to get more stuff that they probably dont need.

[quote name='GuyManDude']My apologies if this has been asked, but will BB take my copy of Playstation Move Heroes that I won from HouseParty? The UPC is scratched so that it can't be scanned, but you can still see the numbers.

Thanks ladies and gents.[/QUOTE]

depends on the store. some claim that they take games with no case, but others say that game case and receipt is required. U can go try to trade in disc only and see what they say.

[quote name='lordopus99']If you want to believe that, go ahead.

P.S. I have been in plenty of threads here throughout the years and can vouch there is a big part of the community that actually plays very few games vs the amount they trade in.[/QUOTE]

I agree; however, when a deal hits SD it ends much sooner. A recent example was the B1G1 from BBV. Since it was a short sale and only CAG faithfuls knew about it I noticed no TIV values have tanked. I traded in a bunch of games during the NCAA 12 deal because I was thinking that the TIV would drop but not a single one did and missed out on an extra 10%. Same with GS and their current 60% deal.

I agree that there is a big part of the community that play very few games, but I'd like to hope the majority of the members here play the game at least once or keep a copy for themselves before trading them in. The first time I actually started coming on here was when I first purchased my PS3. It was the perfect time since a week later Hollywood Video was doing their any $29.99 game for $5 (best deal ever). After the deal ended I had close to 200 individual PS3 titles. Also I understand where your coming from with the ratio of games played vs. games flipped. I definitely would say that more games a flipped only because I've only played less than 5% of the games I've kept while constantly flip games. Funny thing is that I am currently playing a PC game right now, lol =)

[quote name='intoxicates']I agree; however, when a deal hits SD it ends much sooner. A recent example was the B1G1 from BBV. Since it was a short sale and only CAG faithfuls knew about it I noticed no TIV values have tanked. I traded in a bunch of games during the NCAA 12 deal because I was thinking that the TIV would drop but not a single one did and missed out on an extra 10%. Same with GS and their current 60% deal.

I agree that there is a big part of the community that play very few games, but I'd like to hope the majority of the members here play the game at least once or keep a copy for themselves before trading them in. The first time I actually started coming on here was when I first purchased my PS3. It was the perfect time since a week later Hollywood Video was doing their any $29.99 game for $5 (best deal ever). After the deal ended I had close to 200 individual PS3 titles. Also I understand where your coming from with the ratio of games played vs. games flipped. I definitely would say that more games a flipped only because I've only played less than 5% of the games I've kept while constantly flip games. Funny thing is that I am currently playing a PC game right now, lol =)[/QUOTE]

pc games are great. wish that new pc games come out didnt have high requirements. u have to like upgrade your pc every 6 months to a year to keep up with the new releases

Traded in about 6 games and got 129. Wish I could have hit the $100 mark before they added the 50% but oh well. Also took advantage of that pre order 5 and get that $100 certificate. Most prob end up selling it. Pretty much $20ish per game this fall, not bad.

Apparently my Best Buy is claiming they don't require reciepts. Looks like I am going to go there tomorrow. They still claim they are giving $17 for MvC3, and I can put $5 for Skyward Sword anyway.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Apparently my Best Buy is claiming they don't require reciepts. Looks like I am going to go there tomorrow. They still claim they are giving $17 for MvC3, and I can put $5 for Skyward Sword anyway.[/QUOTE]

why do they need to claim it? It's $17 on the site.

[quote name='Prologue']Traded in about 6 games and got 129. Wish I could have hit the $100 mark before they added the 50% but oh well. Also took advantage of that pre order 5 and get that $100 certificate. Most prob end up selling it. Pretty much $20ish per game this fall, not bad.[/QUOTE]
What games did you trade in?

[quote name='The Punisher']pc games are great. wish that new pc games come out didnt have high requirements. u have to like upgrade your pc every 6 months to a year to keep up with the new releases[/QUOTE]

I hear you. I'm praying that Mass Effect 3 will be fine on my rig:hot:

[quote name='Techman16']What games did you trade in?[/QUOTE]

Halo reach (I have the live update disc)
Black Ops( I enjoy mw2 more for some reason)
Enslaved ( :( )
Mass Effect 1
Splinter cell conviction

Forgot the last one. Pre ordered BF3,MW3, Saints row 3, Skyrim and uncharted.

[quote name='GuyManDude']My apologies if this has been asked, but will BB take my copy of Playstation Move Heroes that I won from HouseParty? The UPC is scratched so that it can't be scanned, but you can still see the numbers.

Thanks ladies and gents.[/QUOTE]

The Bestbuy near me wouldn't take a game that had NOT FOR RESALE on it. She said that she could get fired for it so I came back the next day without the cover art and same clerk took it with no problem. It was Monster Hunter Tri with the controller bundle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped by a Best Buy close to my college and traded in several games for a $93 gift card. The employee was really nice and even told me I don't need the manual or case when I trade in games. He also told me I didn't even need to pre-order to get the bonus but I went and pre-ordered Assassin's Creed anyways. I will definitely look for this guy whenever I trade in video games now.

I find all this YMMV stuff weird. At the BB I work at we take

-Disc only.
-Not for resale. Simply toss out the cover art.
-No receipt. This varies because of weird state pawn laws though

All of this as no reduced rate. There is no 'refurb' fee like as GS so we either take it for the full value or not at all.

[quote name='musicjunkie']I find all this YMMV stuff weird. At the BB I work at we take

-Disc only.
-Not for resale. Simply toss out the cover art.
-No receipt. This varies because of weird state pawn laws though

All of this as no reduced rate. There is no 'refurb' fee like as GS so we either take it for the full value or not at all.[/QUOTE]

This. This one guy at my Best Buy was trying to sell me Best Buy's program so i just went along with it lol. It is pretty awesome.

[quote name='The Punisher']pc games are great. wish that new pc games come out didnt have high requirements. u have to like upgrade your pc every 6 months to a year to keep up with the new releases[/QUOTE]

Oh come on. No you don't. If you want to play at high/max graphics settings you might be doing it once a year but you also sell off your graphics card to offset the cost. I'm just so sick of the people thinking PC games are expensive when it's just not true at all.

[quote name='Prologue']Halo reach (I have the live update disc)
Black Ops( I enjoy mw2 more for some reason)
Enslaved ( :( )
Mass Effect 1
Splinter cell conviction

Forgot the last one. Pre ordered BF3,MW3, Saints row 3, Skyrim and uncharted.[/QUOTE]

They let you trade in the green halo disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back