Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chuckywang']Borderlands GOTY PS3 is $14.98 on clearance at Target if you can find it. Trades in for $16 base at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

I saw 2 at mine for $21. Maybe it'll be $15 next time I go by there which might be today. :bouncy:

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']I saw 2 at mine for $21. Maybe it'll be $15 next time I go by there which might be today. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Still a profit all you have to do is preorder for the 40% then cancel later on.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Still a profit all you have to do is preorder for the 40% then cancel later on.[/QUOTE]

Have to add gas an time spent. If you're headed there anyway it wouldn't matter but if you're making a special trip then I would say wait for $15

you can also trade in some singularitys i saw at sears for 9.99. was gonna pick them up for 11tiv +25% but thought nope, i guess for 40% i might go grab a few.

If you are willing to gamble...Dead Space 2 (360) is $19.94 at Gohastings and you can get 3 for $48.00 with no tax (depends where you live) with MM123 sale. It trades for $18 base so with 40% promo its $25.20 x 3 = $75.60. About $27 profit. I did this with Bulletstorm ($16) when I had the 40% coupon and did a little better. This all depends if you are willing to gamble on fast delivery and the TIV staying at $18 but it is better than a lot out there for a quick turn.

I believe at my local Best Buy, Crysis 2 is $22. so i'd get an extra $8.80 with a preorder, right? BUT...i could only but $5 down on, say, MW3, and still keep $25.80 on a GC, right? And later on, I could cancel the preorder and get that $5 back on my GC, correct?

Also, BFBC2 nets $7 TIV, so if I bring Crysis AND BFBC2, I'll get 40% each with a preorder, or I have to put down a preorder PER game for promo to work?

[quote name='jcp42877']

Also, BFBC2 nets $7 TIV, so if I bring Crysis AND BFBC2, I'll get 40% each with a preorder, or I have to put down a preorder PER game for promo to work?[/QUOTE]
It's 40% for all games you trade in. You only need to preorder one game to get the 40%. I don't know about canceling the preorder.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']It's 40% for all games you trade in. You only need to preorder one game to get the 40%. I don't know about canceling the preorder.[/QUOTE]

Oh dang! That's great! I could trade in several and make up the measly $5 i have to put down.

I'm about to have to trade my TV back to my buddy, and I won't be getting a new TV til I find a new job :/ so i have a handful of games left that I'm contemplating trading in and just amassing a Best Buy GC, currently trying to beat LA Noire, but I have:

LA Noire $25 (says this at my store on printout talking about proder 5/ get $100)
RDR $13
BFBC2 $7
Shadows of the Damned $25 (again, says this on store printout)
Crysis 2 $22 (says this on printout)
Dragon Age 2 $12
007 Blood Stone $6
Dante's Inferno $6

ehhh....

[quote name='jcp42877']Oh dang! That's great! I could trade in several and make up the measly $5 i have to put down.

I'm about to have to trade my TV back to my buddy, and I won't be getting a new TV til I find a new job :/ so i have a handful of games left that I'm contemplating trading in and just amassing a Best Buy GC, currently trying to beat LA Noire, but I have:

LA Noire $25 (says this at my store on printout talking about proder 5/ get $100)
RDR $13
BFBC2 $7
Shadows of the Damned $25 (again, says this on store printout)
Crysis 2 $22 (says this on printout)
Dragon Age 2 $12
007 Blood Stone $6
Dante's Inferno $6

ehhh....[/QUOTE]

The SofD and LA Noire qualify for the trade 2 for 50, but it would be better to get the 40%.
Youd trade them both for 28$ instead of 25.

Stores have no info (and mind you they looked and looked even involving the manager) on the +$25 on psps...
so just be advised...

So I traded in $414.20 worth of games today expecting to get credit for Amazon with it only to find out that the great state of Illinois apparently does not sell Kindle giftcards!

Apparently there is some tax issues with it and so now I just got $414 of useless Best Buy crap credit. I may end up going on a day trip to Indiana soon...

[quote name='BrolyB593']So I traded in $414.20 worth of games today expecting to get credit for Amazon with it only to find out that the great state of Illinois apparently does not sell Kindle giftcards!

Apparently there is some tax issues with it and so now I just got $414 of useless Best Buy crap credit. I may end up going on a day trip to Indiana soon...[/QUOTE]

$300 of that could go towards the buy 5 get 100 promo, thats one of the better deals so far for fall games.

[quote name='BrolyB593']So I traded in $414.20 worth of games today expecting to get credit for Amazon with it only to find out that the great state of Illinois apparently does not sell Kindle giftcards!

Apparently there is some tax issues with it and so now I just got $414 of useless Best Buy crap credit. I may end up going on a day trip to Indiana soon...[/QUOTE]

Buy a visa gift card. Problem Solved.

[quote name='DerClaw']sssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeccccccccccccrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttssssssssssssssssssss[/QUOTE]

Its a secret?
India/Hotel Oscar Papa Echo/Tango Hotel Echo Yankee/Delta Oscar November Tango/Foxtrot India Golf Uniform Romeo Echo/Oscar Uniform Tango/Whiskey Hotel Alpha Tango/India Mike/ Sierra Alpha Yankee India November Golf

THAT SHOULD THROW THEM OFF ;)

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Buy a visa gift card. Problem Solved.[/QUOTE]

I do the same thing now. Note that the cards will go up to $200 with a $6 activation fee. So he can come out with 2 $200 VISA cards after fees.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Its a secret?
India/Hotel Oscar Papa Echo/Tango Hotel Echo Yankee/Delta Oscar November Tango/Foxtrot India Golf Uniform Romeo Echo/Oscar Uniform Tango/Whiskey Hotel Alpha Tango/India Mike/ Sierra Alpha Yankee India November Golf

THAT SHOULD THROW THEM OFF ;)[/QUOTE]

"
I hope they dont figure out what im saying"
brad_meltzers_decoded-show.jpg

[quote name='Donut2922']I do the same thing now. Note that the cards will go up to $200 with a $6 activation fee. So he can come out with 2 $200 VISA cards after fees.[/QUOTE]

Haha nice. I didn't know you could do that. I had been looking for a way to use some built up gift cards to pick up some good deals at BBV.

I actually had someone buy a wii console from me on amazon so I could cash out some of my gift cards. I got $130 + $30 amazon credit and only had to use $150 of my BBuy gift cards to pay for the amazon gift cards to buy the wii console.

[quote name='arsenal_fan']Why don't you cancel those?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Velo214']they don't count any online orders unless they receive them. i have tons of games multi locked in and i just let them sit there and still you can send in games just make sure you dont send in more than 3 per game per system per email. i just keep my email receipts so i know what i sent from which one.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't know I could have cancelled those until just recently. The specific locked in submissions I was referring to were part of a group of games I also mailed in. So I was thinking it was perhaps similar to Amazon in that if you submit only a portion of your trade-in, that they would still count the games as towards your trade-in limit (i.e. I locked in 6 Dead Space's back when it was $20 at Sears but only mailed in 3 of them).

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Its a secret?

THAT SHOULD THROW THEM OFF ;)[/QUOTE]

I figured that it's not "supposed" to be that way, so everyone doing it would get it shut down pretty quick. So I never mentioned it. I basically use it as a way to cash out of flipping money, since CL is so slow around here (and basically as "GC" for other places).

I also did not want to deal with 5 people per page asking if the Visa GC can be used to buy anything -- as they do with the constant questions about the amazon GCs.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Buy a visa gift card. Problem Solved.[/QUOTE]

Same thing with me (in FL). Thanks for the tip I have like $100 of credit to burn. But I might just use that on the Buy 5 get 100 deal.

I was just about to ship my psp go to amazon for $91 but noticed Best Buy was giving $110 for it thanks to this thread reminding me to check BB.

Question..... I'm sure this was mentioned in the thread but I can't find it, what's the turn around time on getting the gift card in the mail? I was gonna use part of this on Deus Ex which is out on 8/23/2011, I'm getting it at launch but it would be nice to just use the credit.

I just got my $20 gift card yesterday in from the Medal of Honor game I sent out in the beginning of May, so turn around time from gift cards in the mail is bad. To be fair it only took them a month and a half for my other game, I sent it out a month later got the gc a week ago. I believe BB has changed companies for trade-ins so hopefully it will be faster in the future.

Thanks you two for the info. I would go to the store but my local store is a "with receipt" store so I have to go to another store which is a bit out of my way. I'll just go with Amazon again this time.

Did the PSP trade-in promo expire? I just checked the site and it only lists three:

Trade 2, Get 25% More
Trade in 2 games or more and get 25% extra trade-in credit Offer expires 08/27/2011

40% Bonus with Madden 12 Pre-order
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order Madden 12 Offer expires 08/13/2011

40% Bonus with any Pre-order
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game Offer expires 10/01/2011

i'm wondering this as well. i may just head to the best buy and see how much total i would get. should be around $85 with the purchase of a 3ds, right?

[quote name='BrolyB593']According to this thread on BB's site, I am not able to do that...?[/QUOTE]

from that thread:

[quote name='eemike']I am confused by your very confident response. Not only have I successfully bought several pre-paid visa cards with BB giftcards, but I just called the BB customer service number 18882378289 and asked to talk to someone about BB giftcard policies. They confirmed that there are no restrictions on buying prepaid visa cards in-store using BB gift cards. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='BrolyB593']According to this thread on BB's site, I am not able to do that...?[/QUOTE]

that guy is wrong

you can buy visa gift cards with bb gift cards

bb must restrict the bb gc on the bb gc from being able to purchase such things, otherwise you can purchase such things

yes, you can buy anything at any store that takes visa with a gift card

yes, it is very stupid to buy less than the full 200 bucks on the visa gc, because otherwise you are paying a higher percentage of credit to get the visa card

you will have clerks that tell you that you cannot buy visa gc with them, you need to just move along if that happens

The best way to buy the visa GC is to take it to the clerk and say something like "hey this BB GC doesn't say that I can't buy one of these visa GC with it, and that usually means that I can, can we try?" -- That's what I always do, and it always works, even though the clerk has 100% of the time said it won't work -- even with people from whom I've bought Visa GCs earlier that day.

It'snot gonna show up in the "Video Games" promos. Its a handheld system guys come on.
@Broly I did it yesterday DerClaw has done it before, and other people have confirmed to do it. It all depends on how your store operates.
Also the Visa GC are charged as credit cards when used at bestbuy (Or any other store for that matter) so you'll also get reward zone points on those purchases.

Also, apparently when you are buying anything in the store if they push f5 that is their key that you are paying with a gc. When you are buying a visa GC the "customer wants to pay with a gc" option is f6. Your blueshirt will push f5 and tell you that it won't work. Then you tell him he needs to push f6.

[quote name='DerClaw']Also, apparently when you are buying anything in the store if they push f5 that is their key that you are paying with a gc. When you are buying a visa GC the "customer wants to pay with a gc" option is f6. Your blueshirt will push f5 and tell you that it won't work. Then you tell him he needs to push f6.[/QUOTE]
You forgot the part where they then ask you how you know that and you have to say either you heard it on the internet and/or you saw another cashier do it for a friend of yours.

I had that happen when employees at Kmart asked me how I knew their pricing gun is called the RMU.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You forgot the part where they then ask you how you know that and you have to say either you heard it on the internet and/or you saw another cashier do it for a friend of yours.

I had that happen when employees at Kmart asked me how I knew their pricing gun is called the RMU.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Or you just tell them you used to work another store. Someone at Best Buy asked once, and I just said I worked at one during college.

I went in today to preorder GoW3, get the triple pack, and get 40% extra trade in. They would only give me the triple pack for 9.99, my receipt says bonus 25% trade in, and i already preordered gears 3 once and didnt really want to do any of this. Triple fail:(

Anyone have luck trading in a PSP and getting the $25 bonus since they took it off the site? Was going to go today but noticed it's not listed anymore, want to hear if anyone had any luck before making a special trip out.

[quote name='jeebert']I went in today to preorder GoW3, get the triple pack, and get 40% extra trade in. They would only give me the triple pack for 9.99, my receipt says bonus 25% trade in, and i already preordered gears 3 once and didnt really want to do any of this. Triple fail:([/QUOTE]

Why did you ever bother in the first place?

[quote name='Ultragamer']Anyone have luck trading in a PSP and getting the $25 bonus since they took it off the site? Was going to go today but noticed it's not listed anymore, want to hear if anyone had any luck before making a special trip out.[/QUOTE]

No luck, yesterday I received $59 yes, $59 for a 1000 I reported the failure of this deal one page back :roll:
Op should removed it from title, etc.

[quote name='donut']No luck, yesterday I received $59 yes, $59 for a 1000 I reported the failure of this deal one page back :roll:
Op should removed it from title, etc.[/QUOTE]

There's no mention of anyone trying an failing yet. Unless you mean your post here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8720739&postcount=2975
[quote name='donut']Stores have no info (and mind you they looked and looked even involving the manager) on the +$25 on psps...
so just be advised...[/QUOTE]

So no need to roll your eyes, thanks.

fuck. LA Noire is down to $20 tiv already? Oh well. Still almost $30 with the pre-order dealie and considering I got it from the 2/$50 screwup at TRU I'm actually making money in the end.;)

Now I just have to blow through the story while the value n promo hold hopefully.

Traded another game in to BB today. Girl that helped me said this 40% bonus trade in with pre-orders was good until August. She even flipped around the monitor to show me the employee email they got from BB corporate to announce it. I showed her BB's site that said October and she didn't seem surprised. Just shows how inconsistent the communication is with BB and their offers/policy. Cool thing was she asked her manager if I could get the 40% bonus even though I wasn't pre-ordering something because I had pre-ordered in the past. He said no problem and that was it.

She then went on to ask me if I got my reward zone points yet for pre-ordering my 5 for $100 thing. She helped me before, so she remembered I had done this. I said that I thought we don't get anything until we make the actual purchases and then she went on to say that we should get bonus points just for pre-ordering. Is this true? She said she received hers for doing pre-orders and it takes a little while to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back