Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
der claw, you hit up crestwood bestbuy for visa gc's yet? I gotta do that.
my damn singularities are still out of stock! I ordered a bunch at 40% off @ $3 each on gohastings(not including tax/shippiong) wanted to flip for 11 +% but taking forever to get back in stock, and then to ship here, argh.
tiv is gonna be dead by the time they get here, lol

[quote name='chuckywang']There's an activation fee with Visa gift cards right?[/QUOTE]

Be careful moving money on to visa gift cards, I got banned from trading at BBV for doing the exact same thing. It triggers certain money laundering concerns with the government.

[quote name='stoned99']Be careful moving money on to visa gift cards, I got banned from trading at BBV for doing the exact same thing. It triggers certain money laundering concerns with the government.[/QUOTE]

I am trying to decide if you are being serious or not. You ave been on this site forever so you have that cred but the amount of money you would have to be trading to "trigger" the US government to be on you for money laundering would have to be substantial.

[quote name='stoned99']Be careful moving money on to visa gift cards, I got banned from trading at BBV for doing the exact same thing. It triggers certain money laundering concerns with the government.[/QUOTE]

God dammit stop making me question everything.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I am trying to decide if you are being serious or not. You ave been on this site forever so you have that cred but the amount of money you would have to be trading to "trigger" the US government to be on you for money laundering would have to be substantial.[/QUOTE]

I got banned from Blockbuster as well. I traded in tons and tons of games with no problem but then once I started using the credit to buy the pre-ad Visas I got banned. I will admit I bought well over a $1,000 in them before I got banned. Whether or not it was because they were tired of my trading or other reasons I am not sure. But yeah I would be careful buying too many of them with credit.

[quote name='noone13']I got banned from Blockbuster as well. I traded in tons and tons of games with no problem but then once I started using the credit to buy the pre-ad Visas I got banned. I will admit I bought well over a $1,000 in them before I got banned. Whether or not it was because they were tired of my trading or other reasons I am not sure. But yeah I would be careful buying too many of them with credit.[/QUOTE]

I think the ban has to do more with buying a crapload of Visa GC from BBV using gc's than it does with the us govt.

[quote name='nas6034']I think the ban has to do more with buying a crapload of Visa GC from BBV using gc's than it does with the us govt.[/QUOTE]

I more or less agree but doing the same thing at Best Buy will I am sure raise the same flags it did at Blockbuster. People have already gotten banned for trading over 3 so Best Buy has no problem banning people. I personally think the bans have more to do with the store level than anything else. How many of us go to a Best Buy that is managed by asshats? I would guess most of us. I know the managers at my store would ban me in a second if they saw me buying Visas with a gift card. So I am not going to risk a ban by buying them and I would recommend people to be careful. If your store managers are cool you will be fine or if you have multiple stores to spread it around too. I have neither so I am out of luck.

[quote name='Velo214']der claw, you hit up crestwood bestbuy for visa gc's yet? I gotta do that.
my damn singularities are still out of stock! I ordered a bunch at 40% off @ $3 each on gohastings(not including tax/shippiong) wanted to flip for 11 +% but taking forever to get back in stock, and then to ship here, argh.
tiv is gonna be dead by the time they get here, lol[/QUOTE]

Everyplace but Fenton has worked, since Fenton is a complete disaster of a store and they just were not able to figure out how to activate the cards at all (cash or otherwise).

[quote name='noone13']I got banned from Blockbuster as well. I traded in tons and tons of games with no problem but then once I started using the credit to buy the pre-ad Visas I got banned. I will admit I bought well over a $1,000 in them before I got banned. Whether or not it was because they were tired of my trading or other reasons I am not sure. But yeah I would be careful buying too many of them with credit.[/QUOTE]

Since the BB trade in and checkout lines are totally different, I'd think that it would be hard to track that, unless you are using your RZ card when you buy the visas (which you should not be, since you're not going to get any points for buying with a GC anyway).

[quote name='chuckywang']There's an activation fee with Visa gift cards right?[/QUOTE]

See. This is why I never posted this. It's literally impossible to be aware of this deal from this thread and NOT know that there is an activation fee.

[quote name='DerClaw']See. This is why I never posted this. It's literally impossible to be aware of this deal from this thread and NOT know that there is an activation fee.[/QUOTE]

Gah i see what you mean.
Lets hop off the whole Visa topic i was originally just trying to help whoever i originally posted it towards.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I am trying to decide if you are being serious or not. You ave been on this site forever so you have that cred but the amount of money you would have to be trading to "trigger" the US government to be on you for money laundering would have to be substantial.[/QUOTE]
Some traders/flippers trade/sell THOUSANDS of dollars worth of shit to various stores. Take me for example. Every time Hollywood Video had a $5 sale, I'd cross reference the GS tiv thread and look for qualifying games from that sale that were getting 2-4x what I was paying for them before/after promos.

Some promos(trade select games get $20 off anything in the store) just automatically bumped those certain games to $20 tiv and allowed you to just bank the credit rather than having to spend it on anything in the store.

Albeit the one time I think I traded in 6 qualifying games, picked up two of those Dual Shock 3/game bundles, then turned right around and traded both of those games right back in for $20 each.:lol: So I got two spare Dual Shock 3's(still have them;)) for $30 in cash/credit spent AND I had $40+ in credit back on EDGE/PUR card after trading the two games from the packs back in too.:)

After a while of trading very regularly to GS I think I had something like $2000 in credit amassed on 3-5 different gift cards or my EDGE/PUR card. So it's not THAT hard to do.

But unlike BB, GS doesn't have much you can easily cash out all of that credit on. For a while you had the PS2 online adapters and now you have the PSN cards(sell em to folks overseas who want stuff from the US store), but otherwise it's a LOT of work to cash out a shitton of credit.

Main problem with GS is the lack of anyway to flip your way out of it.
You bank a lot of credit in, but your usually stuck with it due to B2G1 or anything like that being few and far.
One thing i do know is that the B2G1 coupons you get for making a power up card can be used on anything pre owned (You can buy two consoles get a third free)

[quote name='DerClaw']Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact that there's no way out of the GS black hole, I'd have probably [a lot more] there right now easy.[/QUOTE]
Actually I think in the end I bought some game consoles and what not and sold them to folks on CL and friends at a discount from MSRP. I was still making money as I had amassed so much credit so cheaply. Even though I paid MSRP for many games at launch to burn through tons of credit it only usually cost me about 20% of that to make the full $60 for each game usually.;)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually I think in the end I bought some game consoles and what not and sold them to folks on CL and friends at a discount from MSRP. I was still making money as I had amassed so much credit so cheaply. Even though I paid MSRP for many games at launch to burn through tons of credit it only usually cost me about 20% of that to make the full $60 for each game usually.;)[/QUOTE]

I've tried that (the console thing) but CL is soooooooo slow on here. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I miss the days when gs online would let you buy 9 copies of one game in a single order stacking multiple codes.lol It is a challenge now to move credit over.

My sisters are stoked though...free games and 360s.

What are the trade in values on the PSP's? I'm tempted if the $25 extra makes it good.

Also if you want to convert some GS credit to BB, buy some used DJ Hero 1. You can almost get a straight conversion with the xbox and wii versions and gain some with ps3 copies. If you combine it with the 40% preorder, you'll make a little bit on all the trade-ins.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've been busy for a while, but here's a story from Saturday:

I had a couple copies of Blood Stone I was going to trade in, not knowing that the TIV tanked. I go in, and end up keeping my copies to get rid of elsewhere. But the good part of the story is what happened first...

There was a guy ahead of me trading in like 15 games, so I knew I'd have to wait a while. I saw at the bottom of his stack... Metroid Prime Trilogy, complete in the tin case. So I struck up a conversation with him about nothing really, and then when the employee got to Metroid, the conversation went as follows:

Me: "Wow, you're actually trading that in?"
Him: "Yeah, I have no use for it anymore."
Me: "That's a shame, it's such a great game."
Him: "Yeah? Do you want it? Give me $1 more than what BB will in cash and it's yours."
Me: "Okay maybe."
Employee scans it. "$9."
Him: "$10 and it's yours."
Me: "Done."

And that's how I got a $70 game for $10 bucks :)

Thanks, Best Buy, for your incredibly shitty trade-in values.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']So I've been busy for a while, but here's a story from Saturday:

I had a couple copies of Blood Stone I was going to trade in, not knowing that the TIV tanked. I go in, and end up keeping my copies to get rid of elsewhere. But the good part of the story is what happened first...

There was a guy ahead of me trading in like 15 games, so I knew I'd have to wait a while. I saw at the bottom of his stack... Metroid Prime Trilogy, complete in the tin case. So I struck up a conversation with him about nothing really, and then when the employee got to Metroid, the conversation went as follows:

Me: "Wow, you're actually trading that in?"
Him: "Yeah, I have no use for it anymore."
Me: "That's a shame, it's such a great game."
Him: "Yeah? Do you want it? Give me $1 more than what BB will in cash and it's yours."
Me: "Okay maybe."
Employee scans it. "$9."
Him: "$10 and it's yours."
Me: "Done."

And that's how I got a $70 game for $10 bucks :)

Thanks, Best Buy, for your incredibly shitty trade-in values.[/QUOTE]

Sweet deal for you but I think calling BB trade-in values "incredibly shitty" is a bit much. I would describe this more as BB being uniformed of the value of a particular game rather than their TIVs on a whole. In this case Amazon is giving almost $28 for the Metroid Prime Trilogy with the tin case but most of the time BB has base values either equal to or above both Amazon and GS. Add in the fact they have been constantly running 30-50% bonuses and 2 for $60/$50 deals the last few months BB has been the place to trade for most games. Good grab by you though and poor research by the guy trading that game in. He should have known how much he could have gotten at other places...he needs a little CAG in his life.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Sweet deal for you but I think calling BB trade-in values "incredibly shitty" is a bit much. I would describe this more as BB being uniformed of the value of a particular game rather than their TIVs on a whole. In this case Amazon is giving almost $28 for the Metroid Prime Trilogy with the tin case but most of the time BB has base values either equal to or above both Amazon and GS. Add in the fact they have been constantly running 30-50% bonuses and 2 for $60/$50 deals the last few months BB has been the place to trade for most games. Good grab by you though and poor research by the guy trading that game in. He should have known how much he could have gotten at other places...he needs a little CAG in his life.[/QUOTE]

That value was incredibly shitty, no doubt. I didn't mean it to mean ALL BB values are terrible... but a lot of their other ones are, too. It all depends on the game... but really, I only trade in to BB if they give the most value or because I can use the GC for other things. I find GameStop to still be #1 as far as ease goes, and they still have the best value after promos 75% of the time.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']That value was incredibly shitty, no doubt. I didn't mean it to mean ALL BB values are terrible... but a lot of their other ones are, too. It all depends on the game... but really, I only trade in to BB if they give the most value or because I can use the GC for other things. I find GameStop to still be #1 as far as ease goes, and they still have the best value after promos 75% of the time.[/QUOTE]

That may be true, but I'll always use Amazon and BB because of 2 overriding factors. (1) I can flip the credit into things other than videogames and (2) I have a general idea going in how much I'll be getting because they tell me a price that I can "lock" in with.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Main problem with GS is the lack of anyway to flip your way out of it.
You bank a lot of credit in, but your usually stuck with it due to B2G1 or anything like that being few and far.[/QUOTE]

Gazelle was previously a possible (albeit not 1 to 1) cash out alternative. Along the lines of what IATCG was saying, if you could sell a $30 gamestop item for $27 to gazelle, you were probably coming out way ahead because many of us had accumulated gamestop credit at a $1 spent to $2 credit ratio.

Since Gazelle died though things have gotten really rough for cash out purposes.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']That value was incredibly shitty, no doubt. I didn't mean it to mean ALL BB values are terrible... but a lot of their other ones are, too. It all depends on the game... but really, I only trade in to BB if they give the most value or because I can use the GC for other things. I find GameStop to still be #1 as far as ease goes, and they still have the best value after promos 75% of the time.[/QUOTE]
If I were that guy, I would have said, "Give me MSRP, biotch!" Just kidding.

[quote name='bgame2']Gazelle was previously a possible (albeit not 1 to 1) cash out alternative. Along the lines of what IATCG was saying, if you could sell a $30 gamestop item for $27 to gazelle, you were probably coming out way ahead because many of us had accumulated gamestop credit at a $1 spent to $2 credit ratio.

Since Gazelle died though things have gotten really rough for cash out purposes.[/QUOTE]

gazelle.com died? since when?

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']What are the trade in values on the PSP's? I'm tempted if the $25 extra makes it good.[/QUOTE]

The $25 extra for PSP promo ended. PSP are going for $59 last time I checked.

Out of topic, but does anyone know if Amazon accepts game trade ins with the not for resale instead of the upc code?

I think they do as "acceptable". probably should submit it with out the cover or with the "not for resale" cut out.

[quote name='jbz']gazelle.com died? since when?[/QUOTE]

I just sent a box of items to them last week so I know they're not dead. Maybe he means the trade in value on games aren't competitive anymore or something like that.

[quote name='karyadi']How much are the handhelds trading in for?[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering the same thing-- DS Lite more specifically. Amazon offers $50... going to go with that unless BB beats it.

[quote name='SeanTM22']BB offers $25 for the Ds lite I believe

yup:

$25 - DS Lite
$50 - DSi
$15 - DS
$75 - DSi XL
$115 - 3DS[/QUOTE]

Ah, thank you for this. Hmm... think I'd have better luck on eBay or Craigslist?

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Ah, thank you for this. Hmm... think I'd have better luck on eBay or Craigslist?[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but ebay and craigslist are hit or miss. Trade-ins are much simpler and quicker.

[quote name='SeanTM22']Maybe, but ebay and craigslist are hit or miss. Trade-ins are much simpler and quicker.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sort of the same way I was thinking. Thanks for the help!

Thanks guys.. I think I'm gonna trade a disc only to bb... What are the chances of them accepting it?

[quote name='jacknicklson']No they do not[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Toss']I think they do as "acceptable". probably should submit it with out the cover or with the "not for resale" cut out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='USB Cable']I just sent a box of items to them last week so I know they're not dead. Maybe he means the trade in value on games aren't competitive anymore or something like that.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of gazelle... did they give u a ups label or a usps media mail label?

:cool: the 40% extra just turned my worthless (in terms of value) games (RFG and AVP and some junk PSP game) into something slightly more worth it. This will cut the price of my UMVC3 Preorder into something worth it!

So even though their website says 40% when trading in towards Madden, they mean towards any game? And what's with the "trade in two get an extra 25%"... I'm going to assume they don't stack?

And to the money laundering thing...if they don't want you buying certain things with certain forms of credit/money than they shouldn't allow it, plain and simple. If they ban you when you are not even breaking company policy, let alone any laws, then that's pretty screwed up IMO. If they don't want people doing it, or abusing it, just make it company policy that it's not allowed at all.

[quote name='USB Cable']I just sent a box of items to them last week so I know they're not dead. Maybe he means the trade in value on games aren't competitive anymore or something like that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Guys. I didn't mean they dissolved. I just meant that the TIVs of games plummeted so significantly that it is difficult to trade a game in for $15 paypal if I can get 27 or so in store credit somewhere.

Took a ride up to BB last night and traded a dozen games in for a decent total after the bonus, enough to take care of my 5 pre-order deal.

Note:

I did take up one game with nothing, disc only in a generic cd case, accepted for full value + 40%. Although they were unsure if they were allowed to accept it, but a manager stepped in and said it was ok. I also took one in with no cover art, but included original case and manual, also accepted for full value.

It seems like they want complete trades so they do not need to manually look up the game in the system, versus just scanning the UPC.

[quote name='guitarguy']So the wiki says it but all BB'a carry amazon GC? I'd like to use BB gc to buy amz gc[/QUOTE]

They do. Specifically, they are Amazon Kindle GCs. They work on anything on Amazon.

[quote name='guitarguy']So the wiki says it but all BB'a carry amazon GC? I'd like to use BB gc to buy amz gc[/QUOTE]

Just ask someone where the kindle gift cards are. They have them in far in the back locations sometimes on a rack by cd labels.

Just a heads up. Anyone wanting to pre-order White Knight Chronicles 2 using this deal will probably have to do so before 8/9. Their site has a wrong release date of 8/9, when it should be 9/13.

I tried to pre-order No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise using the bonus %50 TIV they previously had and was unable to. The reason is because their site shows a release date of 7/15, when it should be 8/16. It was after 7/15 when I tried and they were unable to ring it up as a pre-order.

[quote name='exaznkid']do these promotions stack, say i trade in two games and preorder something, do i have 40% + 25%?[/QUOTE]

Nope, its either or. I believe the 40% is the one selected by default

[quote name='SeanTM22']Nope, its either or. I believe the 40% is the one selected by default[/QUOTE]
Ah ok thx, ill probably still trade in MvC3 towards UMvC3 anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back