Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bh47']That's true. most ppl are not savvy shoppers. I'm sure most CAGs can find deals on just about everything they buy, not just games. I myself, have about $200 GS credit and $300 in BB giftcards (and growing) just from shuffling the credit back and forth. I haven't spent cash on a game in about 2 years now.

btw, Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 GotY are no longer trading @ $20.[/QUOTE]

What are you flipping from BB to GS? Infamous?

[quote name='chuckywang']What are you flipping from BB to GS? Infamous?[/QUOTE]

pretty much any game. If you look actively every 2 weeks there's a flip from one place to another that can lead to profit, sometimes even flipping it right back to the same store(kirby epic yarn). If you keep on the lookout you'll find good flips all the time.

[quote name='chuckywang']What are you flipping from BB to GS? Infamous?[/QUOTE]

It all started when BB had those "free after coupon" games, which traded to GS at around $20/ea, combined with trade promos and Edge card, managed to make me some decent credit. Sometimes I flip GS own stuff to GS. More recently, they had a B2G1 deal coincide with Bonus 50% TIV. I bought some Black Ops and AC Brotherhood from GS online then traded in store. Lately it's been flipping from GS -> BB.

[quote name='bh47']Infamous 2 for $10?!?!?! Get me to a Best Buy stat!!!!:drool:[/QUOTE]
[quote name='dgwillia006']I think he means Infamous, its on sale for 9.99 there.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I was being sarcastic.

[quote name='bh47']It all started when BB had those "free after coupon" games, which traded to GS at around $20/ea, combined with trade promos and Edge card, managed to make me some decent credit. Sometimes I flip GS own stuff to GS. More recently, they had a B2G1 deal coincide with Bonus 50% TIV. I bought some Black Ops and AC Brotherhood from GS online then traded in store. Lately it's been flipping from GS -> BB.

LOL, I was being sarcastic.[/QUOTE]

sarcasm never really translates well to text..

I apologize as I'm sure that this has been asked before, but...Best Buy received my games 2 days ago, and I haven't received a confirmation email and my account hasn't been updated with the games showing as received. When should I start worrying?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I apologize as I'm sure that this has been asked before, but...Best Buy received my games 2 days ago, and I haven't received a confirmation email and my account hasn't been updated with the games showing as received. When should I start worrying?[/QUOTE]

in about a week. Its a slloooow process.

See, for me they verified the trade-ins pretty quickly. It took three days to get to them from when I sent the games out and it only took two days after that to verify the trade-ins and the total amount. The only problem is that, as of today, it's been 13 days and I still haven't received my gift cards. If I don't get them today or tomorrow I'm gonna be pissed.

I've been waiting since 4/30 for my gift card to ship, just says "Payment Pending". I think I am going to call them tomorrow and ask what's up.

For those complaining about not getting gift cards from the mail-in portion of the program as of yet, there was an issue with some recent gift cards other folks received where MANY of them received far LESS than they were supposed to.

DealTree/Best Buy is likely still trying to sort out THAT fiasco, so all I can say for those who haven't received a gift card yet is two words: BE PATIENT!!

Besides which, whenever I did the mail-in program trades, even if they got my games AND verified them within a week they still took another 2-3 weeks to send me the gift card(s). It's a long process, not one that is done within 2-7 days.

Three-four weeks is definitely average. If you dont want to wait just do your trades in store.

[quote name='elrobo8']I've had some pending since the 29th, so I sent Dealtree a message last night to see what was going on. They responded:

"Thank you for contacting us. I show that they have been processed and you should be receiving your method of payment the week of the 23rd."

Let's see. If the earliest I'll be receiving my GC is in a week-and-a-half, that means Dealtree won't mail the thing out until...(doing maths)...the end of next week. That would bring the total time in the Payment Pending stage to be...(more maths)...three weeks.

Hmm...

That's a little bit off the seven days they originally quoted. This must be my punishment for sending in a bunch of worthless games. $17 for The Eye of Judgment? $9 for three Rock Revolutions? $28 for two copies of Personal Trainer: Walking? They're trying to teach me a lesson.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone had any trouble with trading in games that are scratched? I few unplayable Wii games I got from craigslist I am going to attempt to trade in today.

[quote name='Stimes']Has anyone had any trouble with trading in games that are scratched? I few unplayable Wii games I got from craigslist I am going to attempt to trade in today.[/QUOTE]

... I'm going to say it.

Dick.

Only being a dick to the blue shirts which have been dicks to me for years. I'm sure customers can return them to BB if they are stupid enough to buy a used game from there.

[quote name='Stimes']Only being a dick to the blue shirts which have been dicks to me for years. I'm sure customers can return them to BB if they are stupid enough to buy a used game from there.[/QUOTE]

To be clear: I understood your unplayable as broken.

If that's the case, my comment stands. Doesn't matter if/how badly you feel they have been jerks to you. You just ruin the process for everyone else who is trading in stuff that isn't broken.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']To be clear: I understood you're unplayable as broken.

If that's the case, my comment stands. Doesn't matter if/how badly you feel they have been jerks to you. You just ruin the process for everyone else who is trading in stuff that isn't broken.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
How long before BB says "damn not only are we losing money by giving high TIVs, but now we are getting unplayable games that are total losses".
I'm not saying trading a few unplayable games will have a big effect, but now that you put it out in the internet...a number people will do what you are trying.

PS- When you bought the games on Craiglists, you knew that they might be unplayable (or the seller actually told you) and you gambled and YOU LOST. Live with it.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']To be clear: I understood you're unplayable as broken.

If that's the case, my comment stands. Doesn't matter if/how badly you feel they have been jerks to you. You just ruin the process for everyone else who is trading in stuff that isn't broken.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm a dick then because I still don't feel bad about it. I have traded in my fair share of games in perfect condition with all the artwork and instructions that are going to be discarded. To be honest they might not be that broken, just too scratched for me to feel comfortable putting them in my Wii.

Has anyone tried trading in Borderlands Game of the Year Edition for $25? I am speaking of the 1 disc one that came w/vouchers instead of a 2nd disc.

[quote name='Stimes']Has anyone had any trouble with trading in games that are scratched? I few unplayable Wii games I got from craigslist I am going to attempt to trade in today.[/QUOTE]

You can try trading them in store. BB may give you a lower value. They may also be able to refurb the games so that they become playable.

Anyone have a good recommendation for converting Gamestop credit to BB credit? A game or something that would trade rather equally? Last week World at War was my best bet, but I can't find anything close now.

I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt (particularly under the former 30-day mail in rule), but this "interesting" take on "7 days" needs to get tightened up, if they are going to start enforcing the 14-day rule for mailing. I guess some of the problem is that some of the people shipping the GCs are working on sending out the fixed GCs, so they are not at full capacity. But, waiting a month is not going to cut it.

Maybe they need to have it kind of work like Amazon? Like automatically credit X dollars in GCs to your RZ account and then you can just print those off on paper and use them as a GC at the store? I imagine that there'd be some serious wtfery at the store trying to use a GC that is a piece of paper the first time, but it would be faster (and slightly cheaper for BB probably too -- with less chance for the GCs to get mailed out to the wrong people).

[quote name='NeuralFizz']Anyone have a good recommendation for converting Gamestop credit to BB credit? A game or something that would trade rather equally? Last week World at War was my best bet, but I can't find anything close now.[/QUOTE]

Final Fantasy 13

[quote name='DerClaw']I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt (particularly under the former 30-day mail in rule), but this "interesting" take on "7 days" needs to get tightened up, if they are going to start enforcing the 14-day rule for mailing. I guess some of the problem is that some of the people shipping the GCs are working on sending out the fixed GCs, so they are not at full capacity. But, waiting a month is not going to cut it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I'm not pissed that it takes so long. I can be patient. But when they specificity note that it will take only seven days for the GCs to be mailed, they should make sure their system has the capacity to do it. If it doesn't, just remove that part from the e-mails. It'd make people a lot less antsy when their payment pends for the better part of a month.

That being said, I think I'll take cheeky's advice and trade in-store from now on.

If you have the right games to trade, some of these BB values are pretty good. Just dumped the following 5 games for $120 of BB credit:

F1: 2010 ($30), good game, haven't touched it in 2011. Just bought MS:Apocalypse & will be buying Dirt3, so this game would have buried for months (maybe years).

Shift 2 ($30), just too time consuming to win races, a grind to play (IMO).

God of War 3 ($20), bought this on sale 9 months ago, never touched it.

Heavy Rain ($20), same story as GoW3.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ($20), see above.

So, 4/5 games are almost a year old, 1/5 (Shift 2) is relatively new. I wasn't going to come close to $120 anywhere else for this combination of titles, and BB's trade-in cavity search wasn't as invasive as it was a couple months ago.

I received an email on April 30 with verified values and that a gc would be mailed out within 7 calendar days... still haven't received that gc. also waiting for several other orders to be verified

neuralfizz, there is a lot of gamestop to bestbuy credit deals.
i know at least 5 games that you can get in b1g1free move games that will get you +$10 every 2 game flip. example heavy rain and brunswick for 30.xx +tax/shipping and they trade in for 20 each. same with most move games like re5gold/ps move heroes for 40 trade in for 50. peace bro

[quote name='thedream77']If you have the right games to trade, some of these BB values are pretty good. Just dumped the following 5 games for $120 of BB credit:

F1: 2010 ($30), good game, haven't touched it in 2011. Just bought MS:Apocalypse & will be buying Dirt3, so this game would have buried for months (maybe years).

Shift 2 ($30), just too time consuming to win races, a grind to play (IMO).

God of War 3 ($20), bought this on sale 9 months ago, never touched it.

Heavy Rain ($20), same story as GoW3.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ($20), see above.

So, 4/5 games are almost a year old, 1/5 (Shift 2) is relatively new. I wasn't going to come close to $120 anywhere else for this combination of titles, and BB's trade-in cavity search wasn't as invasive as it was a couple months ago.[/QUOTE]

Man you should have played Heavy Rain. Oh well, to each his own.

I'm considering dumping Shift 2 as well. I'm an absolute huge racing game fan, but I can't stand it. I get pissed off every time I play. Between the horrible AI and the piss-poor handling, it's awful to me. Maybe I should dump it while I can for a reasonable price.

I still have F1 and play it weekly. But I'm a religious F1 fan.

saetia, yeah i traded in borderlands goty. i kept/used the voucher and the map, you just need to trade in the disk that says goty on it. ;)
that's why i love these voucher dlc games, cuz i buy them and use the voucher and trade the goty edition back in ;)
like uncharted 2 goty, borderlands, bad company 2 ultimate edition, borderlands, etc.

if you want heavy rain you can get it 10.xx at gamestop. just buy 2 copies for 30.xx and trade one in for 20.xx. woot
i dont know if im gonna do it tho. after a heavy rain plat i cant think of playing it again, maybe i will just walk around yelling Jason to reenact the experience. and maybe cut off a pinkie?

i was wrong, only first party sony move games. mybad.

Surprised Fable 3 is still holding the 25$ value.

Gonna go trade in my Limited Edition copy today, probally just gonna end up rebuying it after it drops below 20$ anyway.

[quote name='Trace17']Man you should have played Heavy Rain. Oh well, to each his own.

I'm considering dumping Shift 2 as well. I'm an absolute huge racing game fan, but I can't stand it. I get pissed off every time I play. Between the horrible AI and the piss-poor handling, it's awful to me. Maybe I should dump it while I can for a reasonable price.

I still have F1 and play it weekly. But I'm a religious F1 fan.[/QUOTE]

Well, I only paid $20 for Gow3 and $22 for Heavy Rain during earlier sales. I figure if I get a jones for either of these, I can just find them again for $20 new. However, my backlog is so bad (along with every other CAG), I really shouldn't miss these, they just made the most sense for me to dump given what BB was willing to pay.

I'm the same with driving games, love most of them, but Shift 2 just wasn't fun, it felt more like work. Since places are starting to put Shift 2 on sale for $39, made the executive decision to dump it while $30 was still there....

[quote name='Trace17']Man you should have played Heavy Rain. Oh well, to each his own.

I still have F1 and play it weekly. But I'm a religious F1 fan.[/QUOTE]

That's debatable. Heavy Rain left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, definitely not up to all the hype around it.

$30 seems to be a pretty solid trade in price for Portal 2 right? I haven't really seen anything better. I only payed $35 for it so it's like a $5 rental.

It probably dropped because of the thread on SD where Amazon had it for $19 used and people were buying 3 - 9 copies at a time. Someone said Amazon had 250+ copies in stock and they all sold most likely to be traded into BBY.

0_o best buy online is so slow in mailing out my gift cards for fallout new vegas, the two for $50

they said it will probably 6-10 days from now, when they shipped the gift cards April 28 lol

[quote name='theking20']0_o best buy online is so slow in mailing out my gift cards for fallout new vegas, the two for $50

they said it will probably 6-10 days from now, when they shipped the gift cards April 28 lol[/QUOTE]

mine was April 30 and the email said within 7 calendar days... still nothing though. I don't recall gc taking that long when I traded in last year

Traded in Bullet Storm and M V C 3 for $60. Then Naruto Storm 2 and Borderlands GOTY for $50. Not bad probaly would of gotten less than half that at GS. Finally was able to get MK for $48.

I traded in some games to Best Buy yesterday one of them being God of War 3 from the collectors edition. It had a "Not For Resale" UPC and it was accepted no problem. While the associate was performing the trade the store manager walked up and asked for my input on the game trade-in program and for the game section in general.

I told him that the trade-in program had very competitive values that were equivalent to Amazon and typically better than Gamestop but that it took to long to do a trade in store. At that comment the associate agreed with me and the manager said they were in the process of stream lining the system. He then asked me what I thought of the weekly sales on video games in the ad and I told him they were very weak since Circuit City shutdown. His final question was about the Gamer Magazine and I told him while the coupons were nice the editorial content was greatly suffering and that I preferred the old method of coupons being delivered for free via text or online.

So even though my comments probably mean nothing to Best Buy it was still the first time ever a store manager has came up to me and asked for my input.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']It probably dropped because of the thread on SD where Amazon had it for $19 used and people were buying 3 - 9 copies at a time. Someone said Amazon had 250+ copies in stock and they all sold most likely to be traded into BBY.[/QUOTE]

actually they had about 700 at my first count and they were bleeding away slowly... once it hit slickdeals the rest sold in like 10 minutes SD can kill a deal like nobody's business

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']For those complaining about not getting gift cards from the mail-in portion of the program as of yet, there was an issue with some recent gift cards other folks received where MANY of them received far LESS than they were supposed to.

DealTree/Best Buy is likely still trying to sort out THAT fiasco, so all I can say for those who haven't received a gift card yet is two words: BE PATIENT!!

Besides which, whenever I did the mail-in program trades, even if they got my games AND verified them within a week they still took another 2-3 weeks to send me the gift card(s). It's a long process, not one that is done within 2-7 days.[/QUOTE]
Reposting this for the folks getting antsy that their gc's haven't come in yet. There was a MAJOR SNAFU with gift cards being sent to other people that had less credit on them than they should have.

As I said above, BE PATIENT, as they're trying to untangle this current mess and will most likely get you your gc's as soon as this is straightened out.

Of course I'm preaching to the choir here because if many CAG's are anything, it's NOT patient.:razz:

If I've already redeemed my pc copy of portal 2, could I just keep that and trade the ps3 version. So essentially getting $30 credit and keeping the game?

So i usually trade and flip alot of games to BB. Today i tried to trade in three copies of hawx 2. The woman basicaly said i stole them and got the manager. The manager denied the whole trade.

oh wow, they straight up denied you?! i turned in 3 ff13, 3 moh, 3 sengoku and 3 dead rising 2s the other day and no problem at all. that sucks

[quote name='Velo214']oh wow, they straight up denied you?! i turned in 3 ff13, 3 moh, 3 sengoku and 3 dead rising 2s the other day and no problem at all. that sucks[/QUOTE]

he should've borrowed a baby, or at the very least a puppy :lol:

anyways, my GC that was processing since 4/27 arrived yesterday; even though it still shows as payment pending. So all of you waiting, should probably receive them in the next couple of days.

[quote name='Velo214']oh wow, they straight up denied you?! i turned in 3 ff13, 3 moh, 3 sengoku and 3 dead rising 2s the other day and no problem at all. that sucks[/QUOTE]

Yup. I just went to another BB and they took it no problem. I went and called the 800 number and filed a formal complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back