Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm just decided to check the $60 gift card I got in the mail today and to my surprise there's $166 on it :whistle2:k

my apologies to the person who got my giftcard instead! ;)

wow. fuck this bs. just got a card today in the mail. says $160 on it. read your posts and checked bestbuy.com, check gift card, and it has $74 on it. $86 short. dealtree needs to get their shit together...

[quote name='chicagocubs04']hmm just decided to check the $60 gift card I got in the mail today and to my surprise there's $166 on it :whistle2:k

my apologies to the person who got my giftcard instead! ;)[/QUOTE]

Just saying.. Use it.
They'll void it pretty soon...

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Just saying.. Use it.
They'll void it pretty soon...[/QUOTE]

ATTENTION POSTER: The morality police have been alerted to your activities. Please standby to be berated.

Just checked my GC's and they have the right amounts on them. I figured at least 1 would be wrong with all the posts about getting the wrong amount.

[quote name='Brenex']Well just got back from my local BB and saw that they had a Trade In kiosk in the video game section even though that store isn't listed on either of the two trade in location sites. Super excited about that, I was ready to accept the fact I would have to mail in all my games[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Donut2922']my local BB is about to go under a big renovation in its gaming center in a couple of weeks from now. from what i understand they're supposed to be streamlining their process so it looks like game trade-in's and purchases will be a lot more efficient. makes sense since we've been hearing other CAGs reporting BB reps stating they are working on a new process.[/QUOTE]

Mine just updated last week their not sure when the dedicated gaming reps will be in store yet though. My guess is they want all stores updated 1st but this is phase 2 of the BB "gaming restructure". There will be really aggressive gaming deals including used games once everything is in effect, hopefully they'll start matching GS along with amazon.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']"Flame Shield" Except everyones okay with No-Ram doing it because people keep whatever they sent in plus get the credit.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't. I sent in what they were offering good credit on and I received a 'this item was damaged/this item is incomplete' bs canned response. I had to keep bitching at Amazon till they finally credited me.

With the quality of stuff I've bought from Amazon and how many good deals I've snagged from there, I didn't want to wear out my welcome by complaining incessantly about it. However I sent the items in in good faith and expected the same outcome as friends who had sent in the exact same ones.

Mind you, their Warehouse Deals site is getting all kinds of shady/lazy, as I and many others received broken/not as described games and consoles within the last 2-3 months. So I'm starting to not really give a shit if Amazon's trade program sticks around since their credit is looking more and more useless to me anymore, especially since my free Prime trial(s) went away.

wow they were being douches this morning. They were telling me I keep submitting too many trades. wtf. last time they just overnite shipped me the new one, now they will contact me in a few days. I called back again with all my trade in #'s and they said they will call me back in an hour. how come i never get lucky with an extra $100 on my card?! lol

Called the help hotline, and got them to verify my package that they received on 31 May. After logging in they gave me the full TIV, even though it was mostly disc & case (with maybe half had artwork, but no instruction manuals). It was received on day 15 (outside of their 14 day policy) which was my major concern for not getting full value. Person on the phone said "let me verify your order, and get your giftcard out to you asap". Fingers crossed, and waiting.

edit: even better, I locked in 6 games, but only sent in 5... verification for 6 has me baffled that they maybe just blanket verified. If they pay out for that, oh boy, happy day.

Is this normal? I sent in three copies of SMG for Wii @ $30 per copy on 05/12 and haven't received any notification that they have the games or that they've been processed.

However on 05/24 I sent in six copies of MOH (3 for 360 and 3 for PS3) and I just received an e-mail stating that the copies were received and processed and that i should get my gift card in seven days....

Has anyone sent games in and gotten gift cards without any sort of e-mail notification or update on their trade in account?

[quote name='cheeky']Mine have all thankfully been the correct amt. I've been checking all of them just to make sure.[/QUOTE]

OMG I never should've said anything. Got one that is $102 bucks short today.

These stories are an absolute disaster. I was considering beginning to send games in but after reading the horror stories (102 bucks short - wow!) I'm sticking with the in-store trade in for Gift Cards.

[quote name='GBAstar']Is this normal? I sent in three copies of SMG for Wii @ $30 per copy on 05/12 and haven't received any notification that they have the games or that they've been processed.

However on 05/24 I sent in six copies of MOH (3 for 360 and 3 for PS3) and I just received an e-mail stating that the copies were received and processed and that i should get my gift card in seven days....

Has anyone sent games in and gotten gift cards without any sort of e-mail notification or update on their trade in account?[/QUOTE]

yes. this abnormal behavior if perfectly normal dealtree

I sent in my first (and hopefully only) game to Best Buy/Dealtree. I really hope they don't fuck it up. I had to send mine in out of necessity (I don't think I could get them to budge on my "not for resale" copy of DJ Hero in-store). Your stories just scare me.

Would be cool to get a higher value gift card though :D

Well just went to switch out my BB credit to amazon cards and decided to just get two $50 cards with the $86 giftcard BB sent me. Apparently there was $100 on the card and I sure wasn't going to tell the cashier to cancel the transaction after she scratched off the code and was just about done anyways. Moral police sue me

doh. i wish i got more than less credit. ugh. still waiting on the call. last time they knew they had a glitch and made it seem like an easy reshipment that night. now they are trying to tell me I spent the money already. but they can look at the fuck card and tell that i didnt even touch it yet. they were trying to bash on me saying am i really gonna trade in all the submissions i locked in and im like, wtf that has nothing to do with this, it says on the sheet your gift card has 160, and i checked online and it's 74. end of story, send my fuck n 160 card out and hope i dont go spend this 74 one before you void it. ugh

I think they are starting to unclog their back log of trade-ins. I had a bunch verified today after being sent on 5/5. About half were verified as incomplete so i had to send another email requesting they correct those mistakes. They must have a major clusterfuck over there. This time if my cards are wrong I'm spending them! 1 month to verify, not honoring estimates, and sending out wrong card again! LOL someone needs to be fired over there.

Anyone been having problems generating shipping labels the past few days? Emailed BB and rep stated their system is rejecting any prepaid label that is going to a zip code starting with a "0" and that hopefully it should start working in a few days

These guys sure are on the ball :roll:

[quote name='GBAstar']Is this normal? I sent in three copies of SMG for Wii @ $30 per copy on 05/12 and haven't received any notification that they have the games or that they've been processed.

Has anyone sent games in and gotten gift cards without any sort of e-mail notification or update on their trade in account?[/QUOTE]

Mine arrived on 5/13. I think we got screwed over by the SMG trade in being on slickdeals. I actually sent mine in a few days before it made the site, but being in California, Im sure it came in at the same time as all the East Coasters. Still not sure what theyre planning to do on this.

yeah i hate people getting fired for mistakes, but this is the 3rd problem this month I'v had with them. Someone needs to get their stuff together...

and yeah, im waiting til Im sure they are sending a new card with the full amount and then im gonna spend this card before they void it. it's like an idiot and inconvenience fee for this bs. just hoping they dont void it before they send me a new one, lol. ugh

as long as i get what im due then im golden, i just hate these mistakes they keep making. I try to trade all instore but when the tivs drop from 25-8, and 20-6, then im gonna mail it in to get the full amount. der

and yeah the shipping labels are wonked up. i have to keep clicking regenerate label and it seems it is printing 1 individual label per game instead of per order. ugh. lets hope this doesnt get us fuck d over too, ugh.

Just got my $36 Gift Card in the mail today and when I checked the value online, it was only $22. Called CS and the woman on the line was pretty helpful. She was confused on why the value was wrong and that I can expect another GC with the missing value in the mail. Some of these stories are pretty scary though as my problem was pretty small compared to missing $106.

has anyone had a problem with games being verified as "not playable" even though they were working before you sent them? i sent them in a sturdy box so unless ups ran over it(plausible) i dont understand how it could be unplayable. if so, could you tell me how you resolved it? thanks

[quote name='shurija']Just got my $36 Gift Card in the mail today and when I checked the value online, it was only $22. Called CS and the woman on the line was pretty helpful. She was confused on why the value was wrong and that I can expect another GC with the missing value in the mail. Some of these stories are pretty scary though as my problem was pretty small compared to missing $106.[/QUOTE]

You should make sure they send it. I got the runaround yesterday and when I called back today, she said that the CSR yesterday told me the wrong thing.

I have a store that does trade ins on the BB site listed in the faq.

If I trade in a game that the estimator gives $30, will I get $30 in store or is it not up to date (realtime). $60 for reach and NFS is pretty good.

[quote name='jacknicklson']The estimator has never failed me in-store on that day^

Just got $60 for SMG2 and Kinect Sports[/QUOTE]

great.

can I check if the store sells the kindle gift cards online, cant find them listed on the site and its not open to call. want to get a move controller, same price as amazon, but no tax.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']great.

can I check if the store sells the kindle gift cards online, cant find them listed on the site and its not open to call. want to get a move controller, same price as amazon, but no tax.[/QUOTE]

I havent seen one without them though they seemed to have moved them to the computer/tablet department rather then closer to the front

And yeah, never sending them games..no thanks

[quote name='edson13']Mine arrived on 5/13. I think we got screwed over by the SMG trade in being on slickdeals. I actually sent mine in a few days before it made the site, but being in California, Im sure it came in at the same time as all the East Coasters. Still not sure what theyre planning to do on this.[/QUOTE]

No update on mine either and they received the package two days after I mailed it.

[quote name='Dkellar']No update on mine either and they received the package two days after I mailed it.[/QUOTE]

Have you called? I'm in the same situation. I actually received confirmation that my gift cards from the Medal of Honor trade in I did around 05/24 were in the process of being mailed but the trade in I did involving SMG hasn't even been confirmed... yet I mailed it two weeks prior to the MOH trade ins....

[quote name='GBAstar']Have you called? I'm in the same situation. I actually received confirmation that my gift cards from the Medal of Honor trade in I did around 05/24 were in the process of being mailed but the trade in I did involving SMG hasn't even been confirmed... yet I mailed it two weeks prior to the MOH trade ins....[/QUOTE]

I plan on calling them tomorrow if there is no gift card in my mailbox today.

finally got them to over nite mail me a new gift card with my 160 credit on it.
then i went to the store to spend my mistake 74 giftcard and it was already voided, said declined when it ran through the register. oh wells ;)

[quote name='boogie4114']Infamous 2 and Red Faction Armageddon trade in for $35 for those that are curious.[/QUOTE]

Not bad, might blaze through Red Faction to trade it in. Still working on Portal 2

I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet or not but it looks like they changed the way you mail the items.

It used to be a label that could be used with UPS or USPS and went to MD. Now it is UPS only and goes to MN. You used to have to click each item to check it on the packing slip, now the packing slip has a UPC code it looks like they scan for each item along with a trade id for each item.

I hope they list the game's title on there cause it's gonna be hard to scan my disc only game in used blockbuster white sleeves. ;)

Well it looks like they accepted all the disc only games i sent wrapped in printer paper - kinda like a origami square envelope with 5 discs in it separated by a square piece of printer paper.

So does anyone have any experience flipping used games bought at BB back to them. Halo: Reach is 18$ after the 50% off magazine coupon and they are giving 30$ for it.

[quote name='stoned99']So does anyone have any experience flipping used games bought at BB back to them. Halo: Reach is 18$ after the 50% off magazine coupon and they are giving 30$ for it.[/QUOTE]

I have experience in the sense that I traded in DS2 for $30 a few days ago, bought NFS HP marked at $40 (though it rang up at $35) using the 50% off coupon, and then proceeded to walk back over to customer service and trade it in for a $30 giftcard.

Of course, since this is Best Buy, they couldn't find it in the system because it was the 'LE' .. so they offered me $5 first. I then kindly asked them to search Need For Speed and see what came up. After 1/2 an hour, I finally walked out with the giftcard.

[quote name='stoned99']So does anyone have any experience flipping used games bought at BB back to them. Halo: Reach is 18$ after the 50% off magazine coupon and they are giving 30$ for it.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't have any problems if that's what you're asking.

So they sent a new gift card with the original value of $36 and voided the old one with $22. It also came pretty fast in around 4 days.

Problem is, the gift card number is invalid. Time to make another call..

[quote name='shurija']So they sent a new gift card with the original value of $36 and voided the old one with $22. It also came pretty fast in around 4 days.

Problem is, the gift card number is invalid. Time to make another call..[/QUOTE]

I just received a gift card with $50 on it. The wording on the note that was included makes it seem like its supplemental, the thing is I havent been short on any recent gift card. Just check the gift card I received this week and it still has the full amount I was due.
Hmmm, havent checked to make sure its activated, hopefully I scored a free fifty.

Dear Valued Trade-In Customer,

Due to an error at the gift card processing center, all gift cards issued on June 3, 2011, have been voided and re-issued to the correct customers via UPS Overnight shipping. You should receive your replacement gift card this afternoon, if you did not already receive it, this morning. As this was not a customer error, a new gift card in the full trade-in value you were previously notified of, has been issued, regardless of the redemption status of the gift card issued in error. Please note, these gift cards will not be activated until Saturday, June 11, 2011.

We sincerely apologize for this error and any inconvenience that has been caused as a result of your participation in this program. Please understand this is not the way we wish to do business and all efforts are being made to avoid errors of this magnitude in the future.

If you have any questions or concerns, please email [email protected] and one of our Trade-in Program representatives will assist you further.

*PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE. THIS EMAIL WAS SENT FROM AN UNATTENDED MAILBOX*

Regards,

Best Buy Trade-In Support

Just got the email as well. I called Dealtree earlier though and the CSR told me the new card will be activated on Monday the latest. Hopefully these errors will stop with this incident.

well finally after i accidentally dropped it off at USPS they transferred it to UPS.

but my other game that i dropped off to UPS was received 6/2. i see it hasnt been verified. does it take this long?

I hope NFS HP stays at $30 TIV. Just finished grinding the last levels, so I am done with it. So glad it went back to $30 from like 17 or so previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back