Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chuckywang']Any good flips from GS to BB? I have a b2g1 coupon. I see Fable 3 is $34.99 at GS and trades in for $30 at BB, but looking for any others.[/QUOTE]

Haha, speaking of Fable 3 ... I swear that one of the local Best Buys has around 30 copies of Fable 3 in the 360 used game section. There are 3 games that they had a ton of, and nothing else .. I'm not sure who is doing distribution for BB but I feel sorry for the stores that are going to be flooded with copies of one game and have no way of getting rid of them, other than some sort of fire sale.

[quote name='etcrane']Haha, speaking of Fable 3 ... I swear that one of the local Best Buys has around 30 copies of Fable 3 in the 360 used game section. There are 3 games that they had a ton of, and nothing else .. I'm not sure who is doing distribution for BB but I feel sorry for the stores that are going to be flooded with copies of one game and have no way of getting rid of them, other than some sort of fire sale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I saw a BB with 15-20 copies of CoD W@W used for PS3.

That, at least, could have come from when it was $20 with a gift card for two copies a while back and traded back in for $20.

[quote name='etcrane']Haha, speaking of Fable 3 ... I swear that one of the local Best Buys has around 30 copies of Fable 3 in the 360 used game section. There are 3 games that they had a ton of, and nothing else .. I'm not sure who is doing distribution for BB but I feel sorry for the stores that are going to be flooded with copies of one game and have no way of getting rid of them, other than some sort of fire sale.[/QUOTE]

At least Fable 3 is $35 b4 50%, beside the 2 blops harden i picked up, my store have mostly kinectimals and new vegas (gs effect).

[quote name='chuckywang']Any good flips from GS to BB? I have a b2g1 coupon. I see Fable 3 is $34.99 at GS and trades in for $30 at BB, but looking for any others.[/QUOTE]

Two Worlds II is 26.99... can flip at BB for $30.00

[quote name='BeLIKEcoon']Two Worlds II is 26.99... can flip at BB for $30.00[/QUOTE]

flipping isnt worth it unless your making atleast 1.5x what you spent. 2x would be even better.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']flipping isnt worth it unless your making atleast 1.5x what you spent. 2x would be even better.[/QUOTE]

If he has a B2G1 coupon he'd be spending $54 for three copies in the above post and would trade them in at $30 a piece for $90.

spending $54 to trade in for $90 is greater then 1.5

[quote name='DudeImGodly']flipping isnt worth it unless your making atleast 1.5x what you spent. 2x would be even better.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe he wants to move credit to buy something.

Flipping is perhaps the most overrated CAG act I can think of, other than purposefully using glitches on sites and things of that nature. I jump in on this trend back when blockbuster was selling games B1G1 and gamestop had the trade 2 get $10 deal a while ago. Was shameful and frankly not as profitable as one might think. Cash-->credit -[gas x time x dignity] = - profit

Anyways, my trade at BB took FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Literally 30 minutes to trade 2 games and I may be under-estimating. The woman and I had a debate for 10 minutes of the validity of my copy of Need For Speed because my limited edition (they well all LE first print) did not have the orange car that the picture showed. I had to get a clerk from the games department to come over to explain it to her. Then she says, well I'll just go with the UPC since it matches, you asshole! Then the actualy process took another 10-15 minutes as I had to give a thumbprint and then the signing scanner would not work if in direct light, what? so I had to sign it while it was pushed under the big scanner thing they had for trade ins.

Lengthy to say the least and frustrating, made me actually wish for a gamestop. But got my $60 and got the move wand price matched and got a $25 amazon gift card. Ordeal done. Just be prepared to be patient as the workers at the customer service follow protocol to the letter and may not know anything about video games.

Thanks for the tip on the Two Worlds II. I traded one more big stack of games into GS today to take advantage of the 60% bump, and had one last $10 off any pre-owned game coupon left in my PUR account that expires at the end of the month. Got a great condition used copy for about $16 in credit with my coupon, then walked it right over to the BB next door for $30. Also took in Sims 3 Wii for $20 and RDR for the Xbox for $20 (found both at a pawn shop for $10/ea) to get a $70GC after all was said and done.

Walked out with a $15 itunes card for my wife (on sale for $12.xx right now...such a generous discount for apple stuff, LoL), a $25 Kindle GC to move some credit over to Amazon, and, on a whim, and a minty copy of the Alan Wake CE (had been in one of those protective boxes since release) for $29.99, for a total of $0.14 out of pocket after my GC.

Say what you want about BB's trade in program, and even I'd be the first one to mention how rocky and slow it could be at first, I do LOVE it. More competition is always better for us consumers, and, for me, it's added a great little twist to my most used trade-in options: GS, Amazon, Hasting's. Lot's of ways to just kind of roll the credit around in between these various sources and just let it grow until the end of the year.

Im planning on doing that Two Worlds 2 deal. I have 42 worth of gamestop credit and its pretty worthless.

anybody know where to find that b2g1 coupon?

Even if i can manage to get one copy of two worlds......a gift card of amazon is worth much more than gamestop.

How often does Trade In Value at Best Buy drop? Trying to decide whether to take Portal 2 in tonight or wait until tommorow. (Pretty sure i can Plat it if i play overnight

[quote name='dgwillia006']Ah dang, dont want to test my luck then. Can always rebuy it used later, thanks for quick response[/QUOTE]
game stop has it for $35 JUST buy it from there. Then you'll have about 3 weeks to finish it and get your cash back

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Prices usually update every sunday.
unless its something crazy like the SMG deal that was ruined by slick deals.[/QUOTE]

This isn't true at all. Prices update everyday. The best buy marketing page updates once a week.

Picked up Bulletstorm for $17.50 after 50% off Best Buy used game coupon from "Gamer" mag - then setup the trade for $30 to...Best Buy. Sure, I'll take $12.50 to play Bulletstorm.

got my card with the correct $160 on it. went to spend the $74 and it was already void/declined. doh. i should have spent it while it was on it and then complained. oh well. that will be my one good act this year ;)

[quote name='Velo214']got my card with the correct $160 on it. went to spend the $74 and it was already void/declined. doh. i should have spent it while it was on it and then complained. oh well. that will be my one good act this year ;)[/QUOTE]
dunno for sure but cant that track if you use a gift card?

[quote name='DudeImGodly']dunno for sure but cant that track if you use a gift card?[/QUOTE]

yes,

Due to an error at the gift card processing center, all gift cards issued on June 3, 2011, have been voided and re-issued to the correct customers via UPS Overnight shipping, where applicable. Restrictions include:

1) Customers that received gift cards of larger value and redeemed the more than the value they were supposed to receive will not be issued replacement gift cards.
2) Customers that received gift cards of larger value and redeemed the value they were supposed to receive will not be issued replacement gift cards.
3) Customers that received gift cards of larger value and redeemed less than or did not redeem the value they were supposed to receive, will be issued gift cards in the remaining balance owed.

You should receive your replacement gift card this afternoon, if you have not already received it, where applicable. Please note, these gift cards will not be activated until Saturday, June 11, 2011.

[quote name='Velo214']got my card with the correct $160 on it. went to spend the $74 and it was already void/declined. doh. i should have spent it while it was on it and then complained. oh well. that will be my one good act this year ;)[/QUOTE]

how is actually trying but failing a "good" act?

*repost*

well finally after i accidentally dropped it off at USPS they transferred it to UPS. hopefully they'll honor the credit anyway.

but my other game that i dropped off to UPS was received 6/2. i see it hasnt been verified. does it take this long?

[quote name='Velo214']yes they can track the cards ;)
and i was thinking of you when i wrote that confoosious :)
im glad i took you off my ignore list :)[/QUOTE]
:grouphug:

[quote name='david12795']*repost*

well finally after i accidentally dropped it off at USPS they transferred it to UPS. hopefully they'll honor the credit anyway.

but my other game that i dropped off to UPS was received 6/2. i see it hasnt been verified. does it take this long?[/QUOTE]

I've had one trade paid about 7 days after it was delivered. I had another paid and card in hand... 25 days after it was delivered.

Verification usually takes 2-3 days but I had one recently take 11 days.

I've yet to ever not get my credit but with BB mail-in, you better just expect it to take 4 weeks and be pleasantly surprised if it arrives sooner.

[quote name='sgaldis']Thanks for the tip on the Two Worlds II. I traded one more big stack of games into GS today to take advantage of the 60% bump, and had one last $10 off any pre-owned game coupon left in my PUR account that expires at the end of the month. Got a great condition used copy for about $16 in credit with my coupon, then walked it right over to the BB next door for $30. Also took in Sims 3 Wii for $20 and RDR for the Xbox for $20 (found both at a pawn shop for $10/ea) to get a $70GC after all was said and done.

Walked out with a $15 itunes card for my wife (on sale for $12.xx right now...such a generous discount for apple stuff, LoL), a $25 Kindle GC to move some credit over to Amazon, and, on a whim, and a minty copy of the Alan Wake CE (had been in one of those protective boxes since release) for $29.99, for a total of $0.14 out of pocket after my GC.

Say what you want about BB's trade in program, and even I'd be the first one to mention how rocky and slow it could be at first, I do LOVE it. More competition is always better for us consumers, and, for me, it's added a great little twist to my most used trade-in options: GS, Amazon, Hasting's. Lot's of ways to just kind of roll the credit around in between these various sources and just let it grow until the end of the year.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. As much as I hate Best Buy, im loving their trade-in program. I have some games to trade-in and I honestly want to take them to Best Buy than GS even if the TIV is lower after the %50. Even tho its take a good while to do it, its worth it for me. My PUR card expired too so Im not really interested in renewing it. Give me that Amazon credit plz.

Also, ive been waiting a while for some FF13s that I traded in online. Its been like 2-3 weeks and still says its waiting. Should I call them? I saw some people talk about calling them and the CSR sent the GC ASAP.

[quote name='confoosious']I've had one trade paid about 7 days after it was delivered. I had another paid and card in hand... 25 days after it was delivered.

Verification usually takes 2-3 days but I had one recently take 11 days.

I've yet to ever not get my credit but with BB mail-in, you better just expect it to take 4 weeks and be pleasantly surprised if it arrives sooner.[/QUOTE]

back in the day (like a year ago LOL), i remembered getting paid as soon as it arrived to its destination. and TIV werent so bad.

Yeah but what are you going to do with more than a few hundred dollars of gamestop credit?

It was OK back in the day when gamestop.com let you buy 5+ of the same title and they weren't all cracked. Now there's quantity limitations and limits on how much stuff they will let you buy in a certain amount of time. I'm always up for converting GS => amz /bb/cash at 1:1 or better. I got way too much GS credit right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nakanenui']Amazon giftcards are still available to be bought using BB giftcard, did it today.[/QUOTE]

Really? Awesome. Guess I know what I'm doing with my GCs :D

[quote name='Toss']Yeah but what are you going to do with more than a few hundred dollars of gamestop credit? [/QUOTE]

Why...buy more stuff to flip back to Gamestop of course.

[quote name='sassylaurie']Why...buy more stuff to flip back to Gamestop of course.[/QUOTE]

Hi I'm Godly, just quoting you to say I love the way you think. That is all.

Lol, im thinking about doing one of those Two World II flips from GS. Trade games for the %50 then use a coupon to buy Two Worlds. Or I may give them to Best Buy and take the lower TIV.

[quote name='chicagocubs04']Anyone been having problems generating shipping labels the past few days? Emailed BB and rep stated their system is rejecting any prepaid label that is going to a zip code starting with a "0" and that hopefully it should start working in a few days

These guys sure are on the ball :roll:[/QUOTE]

I had that problem for a couple weeks. I tried emailing but never heard anything. I thought it was related to that, but anytime you try to put a 0 in the beginning of your zip, it strips it out. Look in your profile...only 4 digits.

I gave up on waiting and just took the games to a local store. Easy trade. No complaints whatsoever.

[quote name='Toss']Yeah but what are you going to do with more than a few hundred dollars of gamestop credit?

It was OK back in the day when gamestop.com let you buy 5+ of the same title and they weren't all cracked. Now there's quantity limitations and limits on how much stuff they will let you buy in a certain amount of time. I'm always up for converting GS => amz /bb/cash at 1:1 or better. I got way too much GS credit right now.[/QUOTE]

im currently doing the two worlds II flip 5 Copies of that. and abunch of cheapy PSP games to sell on ebay as a lot. if you want ill PM you a list of what you can use to convert your GS to Amazon.

[quote name='Defendthestar31']After you get a quote online, how many days do you have to ship the games out?[/QUOTE]

Doesnt it say 14 Days on the screen where it tells you to ship the games?
No?
Well doesnt it say it in the F.A.Q at the beginning of this thread?

i got alot of credit after the bbv b1g1f. and the 60%+ bonus.
i hate gamestop credit. my card is gonna expire at the end of june.
i dont want to renew it cuz im banned online.
im hoping i can spend my powerup rewards points on the psn 3000/$3 soon, or I will have to do 10 off new purchase and get some psn cards that way I guess.
Gamestop has the worst prices / trade ins, i hate going there. hopefully b2g1f soon.
I wish i could transfer my credit to a new card with a different name but they said nope. oh wellz

oh and i ship the games within 7 days now on cuz it takes a few days to get there and they don't move on the weekends. just to be safe

[quote name='Velo214']i got alot of credit after the bbv b1g1f. and the 60%+ bonus.
i hate gamestop credit. my card is gonna expire at the end of june.
i dont want to renew it cuz im banned online.
im hoping i can spend my powerup rewards points on the psn 3000/$3 soon, or I will have to do 10 off new purchase and get some psn cards that way I guess.
Gamestop has the worst prices / trade ins, i hate going there. hopefully b2g1f soon.
I wish i could transfer my credit to a new card with a different name but they said nope. oh wellz

oh and i ship the games within 7 days now on cuz it takes a few days to get there and they don't move on the weekends. just to be safe[/QUOTE]

How were you banned online?

any order I make now gets flagged and canceled due to 'credit card fraud'
and my grrls name and my old address and new address are all flagged.
anytime i bought a used game online they would charge me tax even though I paid with credit and so i would email them to send me a giftcard for the tax, so it was like 10 orders and like $30 tax back, and i guess they got pissed off with me trying to only pay what i was supposed to pay so they banned me. plus they said i purchased more than $1500 in 3 months, but that it would unfreeze my account after 6 months, but it has been a year and it still happens. I just called gamestop corporate a few months ago and they said yeah i got flagged online cuz my credit card was fraudulent (even though i have only had one card my whole life, my credit is fine and i only used powerup trade in credit anyway) they are just trying to make excuses for trying to kill a flipper. i can still buy stuff instore but if i even enter my powerup rewards card online it gets flagged and the address i use gets banned as well, so that sucks. but oh well, fuck gamestop. i killed all my credit (600+) last year on games and a new ps3/move bundle, but now i went from 0credit to $380 in the past month with all these trade 3+$10 and then +60% tiv. i guess psn cards and used games and shia now...

[quote name='Velo214']any order I make now gets flagged and canceled due to 'credit card fraud'
and my grrls name and my old address and new address are all flagged.
anytime i bought a used game online they would charge me tax even though I paid with credit and so i would email them to send me a giftcard for the tax, so it was like 10 orders and like $30 tax back, and i guess they got pissed off with me trying to only pay what i was supposed to pay so they banned me. plus they said i purchased more than $1500 in 3 months, but that it would unfreeze my account after 6 months, but it has been a year and it still happens. I just called gamestop corporate a few months ago and they said yeah i got flagged online cuz my credit card was fraudulent (even though i have only had one card my whole life, my credit is fine and i only used powerup trade in credit anyway) they are just trying to make excuses for trying to kill a flipper. i can still buy stuff instore but if i even enter my powerup rewards card online it gets flagged and the address i use gets banned as well, so that sucks. but oh well, fuck gamestop. i killed all my credit (600+) last year on games and a new ps3/move bundle, but now i went from 0credit to $380 in the past month with all these trade 3+$10 and then +60% tiv. i guess psn cards and used games and shia now...[/QUOTE]
Just suck up the $3/transaction like a man.
Were those $30 worth the perma ban from a major online game retailer which occasionaly have decent deals?

[quote name='Brenex']Games were received on the 31st (11 days) and still not verified. Fact, online trading is terrible.[/QUOTE]

Have you called their customer support number? I called them about my trade after it was signed 'received' on the UPS tracking page. The phone jockey manually verified my trades on my account, and I was put into 'verified' status that day. I am now in 'payment pending' status for my trade that was accepted 31 May. Should be getting my giftcard in the mail sometime this week.

well der! of course i wouldnt have cared about $30 if I knew they were gonna ban me but it says on the site that you can contact them if you were charged tax on a credit payment and they will reimburse you. I didnt think I would get perma banned. and gamestop sucks anyway. the only thing i miss is getting in on the online glitches. oh well

Question:
are the prices on the estimator 100% accurate of the value that you'll get INSTORE? or is it ymmv at b&m locations.

don't like how it calls itself an estimator.

[quote name='shosh']Question:
are the prices on the estimator 100% accurate of the value that you'll get INSTORE? or is it ymmv at b&m locations.

don't like how it calls itself an estimator.[/QUOTE]

Price that the "estimator" on the website has told me has always been exactly the same in-store.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Price that the "estimator" on the website has told me has always been exactly the same in-store.[/QUOTE]
thank you very much for clarifying.

I realize the TIV's change daily, but anyone know when the current "2 For $60" campaign is ending? I am trying to get through Bulletstorm and NFS: Hot Pursuit single player campaigns (got em used from BB for $17.50 each after 50% off "Gamer" mag coupon). I setup the trades online just in case they fall off the list, but would certainly prefer to trade them in in-store.

Thanks.

[quote name='sassylaurie']I realize the TIV's change daily, but anyone know when the current "2 For $60" campaign is ending? I am trying to get through Bulletstorm and NFS: Hot Pursuit single player campaigns (got em used from BB for $17.50 each after 50% off "Gamer" mag coupon). I setup the trades online just in case they fall off the list, but would certainly prefer to trade them in in-store.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Its been this way for awhile. Its not really a promo its just easier for people to see that 2 games on the list gets them 60., and that Best Buy takes trade-ins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back