Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried this earlier today going directly to the geek squad trade in with pre-order slip in hand and got rejected with the reason being I have to pre-order & purchase NCAA Football on Tuesday in order to get 40% bonus which I think is bollocks. Did anyone else try today and get the same bullshit answer?

[quote name='cheapgamerone']I just tried this earlier today and got rejected with the reason being I have to pre-order & purchase NCAA Football on Tuesday in order to get 40% bonus which I think is bollocks. Did anyone else try today and get the same bullshit answer?[/QUOTE]

This may be due to to preorder system? I think to get RZ bonuses the preorder needs to be done by the Sat before. Maybe they are confusing that with the trade in promo for some reason.

[quote name='toomuchpie617']sorry about if this has been mentioned before but could you get ur pre order money back after NCAA 11 has come out like gamestop?[/QUOTE]

you can cancel and get a refund. It even says so on the slip. But I wonder when you cancel do they just scan the slip and give you your $ back, or do they do the whole ID thing. I dont want to have too many returns under my name and get banned

[quote name='dorkyden']you can cancel and get a refund. It even says so on the slip. But I wonder when you cancel do they just scan the slip and give you your $ back, or do they do the whole ID thing. I dont want to have too many returns under my name and get banned[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, I prob wont be able to cancel until a week or so, that shouldnt be a problem right?

[quote name='snipermike']50% trade in bonus starts 7/17 without pre-ordering anything[/QUOTE]

What's your source on this info? Would be cool if this is true, but no one else has heard about this.

Went in to trade a few games yesterday. Fairly smooth process. My store has as kiosk right at the front. Guy initiated the trade-ins, he knew about the NCAA promotion. He had to add the promotion on the computer and I got my extra 40%. Pre-ordered at the same kiosk with the trade-in credit.

Also got an email last night notifying me that my trade-ins were finally accepted through the mail. I guess it was a positive day with Best Buy.

[quote name='bh47']What's your source on this info? Would be cool if this is true, but no one else has heard about this.[/QUOTE]

Confirmed by an employee I asked. Starts next week.

I could've gambled to wait for this 50% bonus, but I already lost some TIV with FEAR3 over the weekend...

Went in-store to do the NCAA promo. The VERY helpful, knowledgeble CSR started the LONG process to start my trading acct (req'd a thumbprint!!!).

He did the bonus trade-in transaction, gave my card.

Proceeded to do the pre-order -- PRE-ORDERS NO LONGER ACCEPTED FOR NCAA (at least at that store). After several calls to the supvrs, they told him to tell me to 'just come back tomorrow to pick up the game'. I asked if my bonus TIV was still valid and he said 'yes' cuz the gift card was already made out to me\\:D/...I bought Amazon cards with the gc as quickly as possible, just in case.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Confirmed by an employee I asked. Starts next week.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the confirmation, I think I'm going to wait til the 50% starts.

[quote name='ftlee']Is there a list of games that are eligible for the 40% bonus or, is everything eligible?[/QUOTE]

Everything is eligible because I traded in MLB 09 for 2 dollars and got the extra 40 percent

I don't have the NCAA game pre-ordered. If I just go and pick it up at the store tomorrow when they open, do you think they will give me the bonus?

[quote name='ftlee']I don't have the NCAA game pre-ordered. If I just go and pick it up at the store tomorrow when they open, do you think they will give me the bonus?[/QUOTE]

They should. Like its been said, the preorder and 40% bonus arent tied together. The employee probably would just give it to you since he sees you with NCAA.

Ive said it before but apparently Modern Warfare 3 works as well. It should be updated in the OP i guess as YMMV?

IDK if you actually want to buy NCAA but that would be another way to get the bonus if they are douches and dont give the bonus to the customer who bought the game.

And if they do give a hard time, I would bring a manager over and raise some hell.

I tried to do this trade in today for NCAA.
Well since it was the day before (even though the order says ends 7/16).
You couldn't print out a preorder slip.
This completely baffled the nit wit working the games section..
Brought in a supervisor and disappeared into the back room to consult with the manager, and long story short told me they couldn't do the deal anymore.
I pointed at the sign that says ends 7/16 and he looked at me like my friends cat looks at me.

I wasted 30 minutes, and called the manager on the phone to complain on my way back to work.
he was "so surprised".

Why do I get involved with these people. Horrible waste of time. I guess I blame myself for trying to do this on the day before the game came out, but does everyone in America have to be so incompetent?

[quote name='DaBoltz']
Went in-store to do the NCAA promo. The VERY helpful, knowledgeble CSR started the LONG process to start my trading acct (req'd a thumbprint!!!).
[/QUOTE]

What state? Delaware has been the only state I've seen so far that needs a thumbprint (although they need a photograph, too... which is just as ridiculous).

Did this deal about a week ago, pre-ordered NCAA and got an extra 30 bucks trade in on my 4 games. Of course, I cancelled the NCAA pre-order quite promptly : ). Also the employees told me about the 50% trade in deal on the 17th, so consider me another confirmation of the deal.

[quote name='mm07']I tried to do this trade in today for NCAA.
Brought in a supervisor and disappeared into the back room to consult with the manager, and long story short told me they couldn't do the deal anymore.
I pointed at the sign that says ends 7/16 and he looked at me like my friends cat looks at me.

I wasted 30 minutes, and called the manager on the phone to complain on my way back to work.
he was "so surprised".

Why do I get involved with these people. Horrible waste of time. I guess I blame myself for trying to do this on the day before the game came out, but does everyone in America have to be so incompetent?[/QUOTE]

Did you tell them that you dont really need to preorder it to get the bonus, they can just apply it, or that MW3 qualifies too?

he was "so surprised".

Why do I get involved with these people. Horrible waste of time. I guess I blame myself for trying to do this on the day before the game came out, but does everyone in America have to be so incompetent?[/QUOTE]

I had the exact same thing happen to me today as well. They even showed me on their screen where you could add the 40% extra for NCAA pre-order but since their system would not allow me to pre-order NCAA they wouldn't let me do it. I was told to come back tomorrow since the game comes out tomorrow and they said I could just get the game and then they would do my trade-ins and apply the 40%. Such a waste of time. If their system allowed for the extra 40% off and the promo says through the 16th then they should have just gone ahead and gave me the 40%.

he was "so surprised".

Same thing happened to me today. The game guy at the kiosk was fine with giving me the credit but since the lady at CS was a massive B she wouldn't do it. My kiosk cant do trades you have to go to customer service. I've had to deal with the B before and she never lets anything go. The game kiosk guy even apologized said he cant stand working with her. Not that big of a deal I have zero interest in NCAA and it was only about $10 extra.

[quote name='DaBoltz']
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='xskaxninjax']What state? Delaware has been the only state I've seen so far that needs a thumbprint (although they need a photograph, too... which is just as ridiculous).[/QUOTE]

I'm in California. I said "wow, you need a lot of info for games. Way different from a GS trade". He mentioned it was in case someone traded in stolen games. Must be cross referenced with police reports I suppose. Crazy, but I was already so far into the process I just went ahead with it despite the urge to go all ACLU on BB's policies, lol. In addition, I'm sure doing the trade online is NOTHING this intrusive.

Yes, I told them I'd pre-order anything.. suggested MW3... I was trying anything.

They were so clueless and unwilling to help.
I hope they like working there, it's gonna be their job for the rest of their poor little lives.

-Mike

[quote name='DaBoltz']I'm in California. I said "wow, you need a lot of info for games. Way different from a GS trade". He mentioned it was in case someone traded in stolen games. Must be cross referenced with police reports I suppose. Crazy, but I was already so far into the process I just went ahead with it despite the urge to go all ACLU on BB's policies, lol. In addition, I'm sure doing the trade online is NOTHING this intrusive.[/QUOTE]

The most confusing part is that I have no idea how BB thinks that people can track stolen games like this? I mean, I guess it's possible, but it seems like a lot of work, and I have no idea what kind of police force would have the time to dick around with tracking down some kids that stole some video games and then traded them in at best buy? I mean, I guess.

[quote name='Gosha']I might make use of the 50% to move from Gamestop credit over.[/QUOTE]

GS needs to have a sale. I have waaaay too much credit stored up there and I hate going through all the trouble (and time) of trading in to best buy when it's only trasferring at about even money (or maybe a little bit extra).

I would not mind just stockpiling there, but at some point I'm scared that they will take some kind of AA against me -- especially since every single GS employee likes to crap all over themselves when they see that I still have [large number] of credit on my account.

Do the "trade credit" cards work just like trade credit on your card (i.e., tax free?) because I think I should start doing that, if it works that way, to avoid the clerks seeing all my credit.

DerClaw, if you're running into trouble amassing too much credit on one card, when you trade some stuff in, simply ask if you can get it on a different card. It's no problem, and I've had it done for years. A simple line like "I don't like to keep all of my credit on my membership card, since I carry it at all times; I like to leave my credit at home unless I need it, incase it's lost" or "Hey can you just throw the remaining credit on a separate gift card? I'm gonna give it to my little nephew Timmy as a present" usually works just fine.

And for all of you having trouble with the bonus; Don't forget, it's in BB's ad this week that you can get the 40% with the purchase of NCAA 12, as well. It's a little more of a pain to front of the $60 plus tax for the game versus the $5 preorder, but if you're trading in a lot, the hassle might be worth it, and you can always still just return the game later...:)

I'm kind of excited about tomorrow: my wife is working, my son is with the grandparents, and I've got the day off! I think I'm gonna go on a little game hunt tomorrow...hit a few BB's, trade some stuff in, search for some B2G1 gems, and possibly stop by a few Sears' as well.

[quote name='sgaldis']DerClaw, if you're running into trouble amassing too much credit on one card, when you trade some stuff in, simply ask if you can get it on a different card. It's no problem, and I've had it done for years. A simple line like "I don't like to keep all of my credit on my membership card, since I carry it at all times; I like to leave my credit at home unless I need it, incase it's lost" or "Hey can you just throw the remaining credit on a separate gift card? I'm gonna give it to my little nephew Timmy as a present" usually works just fine.

And for all of you having trouble with the bonus; Don't forget, it's in BB's ad this week that you can get the 40% with the purchase of NCAA 12, as well. It's a little more of a pain to front of the $60 plus tax for the game versus the $5 preorder, but if you're trading in a lot, the hassle might be worth it, and you can always still just return the game later...:)

I'm kind of excited about tomorrow: my wife is working, my son is with the grandparents, and I've got the day off! I think I'm gonna go on a little game hunt tomorrow...hit a few BB's, trade some stuff in, search for some B2G1 gems, and possibly stop by a few Sears' as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Glad to know it will work just putting it on the cards. Do you get to skip taxes with the "trade credit" cards (I am lucky to live in one of those places).

[quote name='DaBoltz']I'm in California. I said "wow, you need a lot of info for games. Way different from a GS trade". He mentioned it was in case someone traded in stolen games. Must be cross referenced with police reports I suppose. Crazy, but I was already so far into the process I just went ahead with it despite the urge to go all ACLU on BB's policies, lol. In addition, I'm sure doing the trade online is NOTHING this intrusive.[/QUOTE]

Hey, at least you don't need to be photographed HOLDING THE GAMES YOU TRADE. That's why I never trade into Delaware Best Buys anymore. Gamestops in DE only require a scan of your license, which isn't bad (but still more than every other Gamestop). I don't understand, though... why Best Buy and Gamestop need such different requirements.

Either way, all trade-in stores are required to hold games for 18 days before they can be sold, because of the DE law. Gamestops literally have shelves and shelves in the back room of games traded in from the recent bonuses that still can't even be put for sale. Pretty ridiculous. Oh well, at least I don't have to pay sales tax :)

[quote name='xskaxninjax']
Either way, all trade-in stores are required to hold games for 18 days before they can be sold, because of the DE law. Gamestops literally have shelves and shelves in the back room of games traded in from the recent bonuses that still can't even be put for sale. Pretty ridiculous. Oh well, at least I don't have to pay sales tax :)[/QUOTE]

That's one of the things I miss the most about living in DE :cry:

[quote name='xskaxninjax']Hey, at least you don't need to be photographed HOLDING THE GAMES YOU TRADE. That's why I never trade into Delaware Best Buys anymore. Gamestops in DE only require a scan of your license, which isn't bad (but still more than every other Gamestop). I don't understand, though... why Best Buy and Gamestop need such different requirements.

Either way, all trade-in stores are required to hold games for 18 days before they can be sold, because of the DE law. Gamestops literally have shelves and shelves in the back room of games traded in from the recent bonuses that still can't even be put for sale. Pretty ridiculous. Oh well, at least I don't have to pay sales tax :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking the whole time during the registration process, "Is this worth it?" I was using up most of my lunch hour. I've got nothing to hide so I figured that at least I wouldn't have to go through this everytime now that I'm in the system...I guess BB is just doing this dog+pony show to drive actual thieves to GS like a (useless) "The Club" would deter a car thief -- has no actual security but it serves enough of a PITA to maybe cause crooks to choose an easier target.

Also, I'm jealous of the zero DE sales tax too

I have no clue. I'd imagine it's fine, just do 2 separate transactions if you must.

Kinda sucks lol, I thought it started next week :/ Missed 10% of 2x F.E.A.R. 3 and Brink ($6 total).

Oh, an interesting thing too. So, my BestBuy said I could "lock in" the TIVs online and if I brought in the receipt with the quoted price on it within 7 days of locking it in, they'd give me the quoted price and not the current one. Apparently it's a corporate policy so it's not YMMV.

Less time to technically ship/get your games to them (7 instead of 10) but no need to wait 6 weeks to get your GC!

I think I'm in love with BB now

I'm finally going to jump on one of these XX% extra promos and do my first trade-in with BB, is this a fairly simple process or should I be expecting some hassle?

50 % extra would be amazing, here's hoping they dont severely gimp all TIVs...a "low" 20 dollar TIV is 30 making it pretty sweet.

Too bad this is AFTER the b2g1 free :(

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']NCAA 40% (pre-order) promo has ended. There is a different promo in the Weekly Ad wherein you need to PURCHASE the game for extra 40%, the pre-order receipt no longer works.

The 50% promo is also now live, BUT it is TRADE 2, GET EXTRA 50%.

Again, this is the same deal as next week. I guess we weren't sure what restrictions there were on it, but there you go. Supervisor I talked to confirmed it's live right now.

NCAA pre-order thing apparently doesn't go until 7/16.[/QUOTE]

:wall:AAAHHH!!!!...Missed by a day! Oh well:-({|=, I've got two more to trade tomorrow. Hopefully TIV holds one more day.

Thanks PrinnyOtaku for the heads up.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']
Oh, an interesting thing too. So, my BestBuy said I could "lock in" the TIVs online and if I brought in the receipt with the quoted price on it within 7 days of locking it in, they'd give me the quoted price and not the current one. Apparently it's a corporate policy so it's not YMMV.

Less time to technically ship/get your games to them (7 instead of 10) but no need to wait 6 weeks to get your GC!

I think I'm in love with BB now

[quote name='xskaxninjax']Hey, at least you don't need to be photographed HOLDING THE GAMES YOU TRADE. That's why I never trade into Delaware Best Buys anymore. Gamestops in DE only require a scan of your license, which isn't bad (but still more than every other Gamestop). I don't understand, though... why Best Buy and Gamestop need such different requirements.

I didn't even know you could trade in games at DE BBY's. I always go to Downingtown in PA. Quick and easy transaction every time.

Anything we need to do to get the 50%. I feel kinda guilty selling hot pursuit, but i havent played it in ages, and bought it at 30 and will get about that in TIV :)

Also selling extra copy of bulletstorm EA was silly enough to send me for free, another 25.

B2G1 Free here i come!

WTF!!!??? I just traded in my games and they did the 40% extra for NCAA. They didn't mention anything about there being a 50% extra now too!!!!!:hot:

Also, aren't they pretty much screwing over anyone that does online trade-ins with these promos?
At least let the promos apply online FFS >_

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back