Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bgame2']Sgaldis, do you mind mentioning a few. I may go to another BB tomorrow that has significantly better clearance stuff than mine does.[/QUOTE]

New Carnival Games w/ Motion Plus (Wii)-$19.99
Tatsunouko vs. Capcom (Wii)-$23.xx
Atelier Rorona (PS3)-$19.99
Metro 2033 (Xbox)-$14.99 (got mine cheaper than that, but that's another story..))
Wario Land Shake It (Wii)-$9.99
Deadliest Catch: Seas of Chaos (PS3)-$14.99
Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii)-$19.99
BlazBlue: CS (PS3/Xbox)-$14.99
Trinity Universe (PS3)-$19.99
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International (PS3)-$14.99

There are many others, as well, including a lot of the $2.99 games that people were talking about last week. Those are/were 'clearance' titles, not 'sale' titles, so their price did not change at the end of last week. Despite what any employees tell you, if you buy 3 games, it will give you one for free, so don't listen to them if they say it won't work on clearance stuff, etc...Just make the purchase. In my experience (and this is verified as of yesterday), even if they make a manual adjustment to a price, it will still qualify for the B2G1 Free. If something doesn't ring up like you thought, you can always just return it.

The 40% trade in bonus is the gift that keeps on giving-- I traded in LA Noire today for $35 ($25 before bonus). I made sure to play the last DLC last night so I could trade it in before TIV drops.

I bought it in that Kmart sale the week it was released, so after paying $60 for the game, I got the free $20 game, $20 coupon that I used a few weeks later, and now I get $35 from BBY.

[quote name='ijustw1n']They are, that's why I was surprised that someone said earlier that they hate that online doesn't get the bonuses. I'd recommend staying away from Best Buy online trades period.[/QUOTE]

Well when your BB doesn't even allow in store trade-ins, online trade-ins are the way to go. But now that the TIVs suck w/o the promos, I'm done with BB trade-ins until they bring promos online or bring the trade-in program to my store.

I got all psyched because I saw NFS: Hot Persuit X360 on google being listed as $19.99 at BestBuy. Then I checked it's TIV because I had never seen it so low. Turns out it's $18. However it's a price mistake on google. Would have been nice to flip to flip for NCAA. Anyone else caught looking at that?

Yeah... so Trade 2 50% is Sunday. Supervisor was massively mistaken.

As for the online quote "locking in" in-store, they'll match it if it's within the same "week" (Sunday-Saturday).

Let's say you locked in a TIV online on Sunday, and brought a printout of the quoted values with you into the store 4 days later on Thursday. They can/will give you the quoted price you got on Sunday, even if the value has dropped between then and now.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Yeah... so Trade 2 50% is Sunday. Supervisor was massively mistaken.

As for the online quote "locking in" in-store, they'll match it if it's within the same "week" (Sunday-Saturday).

Let's say you locked in a TIV online on Sunday, and brought a printout of the quoted values with you into the store 4 days later on Thursday. They can/will give you the quoted price you got on Sunday, even if the value has dropped between then and now.[/QUOTE]

Is this an official change to their trade-in policy (i.e., written down somewhere so I can print it out), or was this just for your particular store? It would be awesome if this was the new official policy.

So I asked about the "misinformation: 50% live now" and why they couldn't manually override the value to give me 50% instead of 40% even though it's not live and they said it's physically not possible through the system.

However, with the online quote lock thing I guess what they said was it's the exact same process (online and in-store), so somehow or another they can verify your locked-in online TIV and issue a GC for you right there in the store.

From my understanding:

If you're familiar with the online trade-in process of shipping the items in, it takes a while to get it verified as received, then another week or two to get the GC in the mail. So, taking the quoted prices into the store essentially is the same process, but sped up. The employees verify on the spot, and issue the GC there too and technically it's still within the allowed # of days for them to receive the items so you're fine.

They want a printout of this (need to see the date):
trade.png

Again, ask the associates in your local store. At the very least my local BB has knowledgeable staff, but other locations I've went to were ignorant to a lot of promos and policies. I had never heard of this policy (no one on CAG reported it anyways), but multiple employees @ my store have done this in the past for other customers so I guess the system allows for it.

I'm not gonna say too much more but after spending a bunch of time talking to the employees at my local BB, they're definitely more willing to cater to the customer on YMMV stuff. I can't promise this particular online->in-store method is across the board, but it doesn't hurt to ask :)

Thanks for the clarification! I wonder if it would be sufficient to just show them that page on a smartphone... c'mon, let's save the planet, one sheet of paper tree at a time!

About a week ago I received an email that just said in the upcoming deals "50% extra trade in bonus".......well after seeing the ad for 7/17 it says "50% extra trade in with any preorder" so I want to apologize for my last post not having all the info.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Thanks for the clarification! I wonder if it would be sufficient to just show them that page on a smartphone... c'mon, let's save the planet, one sheet of paper tree at a time![/QUOTE]

My store just lets me log into my BB Trade-In account (through their computer in the gaming department) and show them my transaction list. I don't even know... weird shit but I'm not gonna complain. Better experience at this particular store than I've had at any other B&M.

[quote name='snipermike']About a week ago I received an email that just said in the upcoming deals "50% extra trade in bonus".......well after seeing the ad for 7/17 it says "50% extra trade in with any preorder" so I want to apologize for my last post not having all the info.[/QUOTE]

It's cool. You were just trying to help anyway.

BB has been beating GS and Amazon on TIV lately, which is great coz now I like having another walk-in option to GS. I'm not too confident about Amazon's tiered-grading system from the stories told on the Amazon trade thread.

so, when does the 50% end? And what is the latest game I can preorder from BB so I can just keep showing the receipt every time they have one of these deals?

ME3?

[quote name='confoosious']so, when does the 50% end? And what is the latest game I can preorder from BB so I can just keep showing the receipt every time they have one of these deals? [/QUOTE]

Good question. I'm gonna walk-in with my NCAA 12 pre-order, cancel that and put it on something else. See what happens.

I was wondering, does the extra trade in credit only apply to video games? I noticed that the websites weekly ad doesn't mention only video games has anyone tried trading in a system or something else and gotten extra trade in credit?

[quote name='ratedpg131987']I was wondering, does the extra trade in credit only apply to video games? I noticed that the websites weekly ad doesn't mention only video games has anyone tried trading in a system or something else and gotten extra trade in credit?[/QUOTE]

They give you a gift card. GCs can be used on anything.

[quote name='bh47']Good question. I'm gonna walk-in with my NCAA 12 pre-order, cancel that and put it on something else. See what happens.[/QUOTE]

I think that'll negate the 5/$100RZ if you're shooting for that, unless you pre-order another 5 somewhere down the line.

I really wish the Orlando area BB's would get their act together on this trade-in program. As of right now, you can only trade in games purchased at BB that you have the receipt for. This really kills any value as most of my games are from Amazon... There are plenty of other FL stores set up to do trades from anywhere but none close; they are citing "copyright" laws for the hold-up, which doesn't make sense. Why can some stores do it but not all in the same state?:roll:

So BB just shipped my GC's for 4 of my games which I shipped after I shipped my Black Ops discs.
Yet, my BO games are still not even verified. WTF.

[quote name='imacgod']Holy crap! Online trades are fucking miserable. Trade initiated June 2. Trade received June 9. Trade verified June 29. Gift card shipped July 12.[/QUOTE]

Update: Got my gift card today. All seven dollars. I was hoping for a mistake ;) Oh well...

50% extra with any pre-order is totally more awesome. Combine that with the 5 pre-order and get a $100 GC, Best Buy is going to kick GameStop's ass without a problem this year.

[quote name='boneless']I think that'll negate the 5/$100RZ if you're shooting for that, unless you pre-order another 5 somewhere down the line.[/QUOTE]

I never planned on buying NCAA 12 to begin with. Only did it for the bonus. And yes, there are 5 other games I would rather get. ;)

I'm looking for a way to convert GS credit to BB, and preferably without doing the preorder deal. Are there any good 1:1 trades from GS to BB right now?

Sweet! Glad I cancelled my order from last week's midnight deal. I'll get TDU2 and preorder No More Heroes PS3 as that's the only game I can think of to preorder right now for the 50% trade.

[quote name='scarhawk']So BB just shipped my GC's for 4 of my games which I shipped after I shipped my Black Ops discs.
Yet, my BO games are still not even verified. WTF.[/QUOTE]

They just verified my Black Ops I sent in yesterday, so they'll probably verify your copies soon if you sent them around when I did (I got my copies from when Hastings had them for $19.99 and B2G1 for $1)

Can't believe I haven't traded a game into BB in over a week, even with this b2g1 deal going on. I feel like I haven't spent 50 minutes arguing with an old lady all week ... oh wai-

Seriously the time i chose to trade in killzone 3 i got 25 for it and upgraded to helghast for 45. Now i could of received 37.50 for the trade in ._.

I know the extra 50% starts tomorrow but I'm not going to be around and I want to make sure the values don't drop. Does anybody know if it is still possible to get the extra 40% even though NCAA 2012 is already out and I did not preorder it? Like can I still "preorder" it to get the extra 40%

I am going to stop by Best Buy later today and ask but I figured it someone knew it would save me the hassle of bringing my games in the store.

Yes, if you glance at the circular for this week, it clearly states that you can get the extra 40% with the purchase of NCAA 12...it's way too late to preorder, but if you want to pony up the $60 for the game, you can get the bonus. You could then return it, if you so desire.

Durr, I guess I should have looked at the ad a little more closely since it was right there in big print. But I was looking to pick it up anyways as part of the b2g1.

I just realized that if you use gift cards for game purchases you do not get any points towards your Gamers Club, lame. Thinking about calling customer service about it, has anyone here got points using gift cards?

No, that's always been their policy. If you could earn RZ points on something bought with a gift card, people would just buy gift cards with gift cards and accrue points in an endless cycle.

Ugh... TIV values are starting to fluctuate! Most of the stuff I've been saving has gone up, with a few exceptions.

I'm just hoping some $25 ones don't tank in the next day >.>

[quote name='sgaldis']No, that's always been their policy. If you could earn RZ points on something bought with a gift card, people would just buy gift cards with gift cards and accrue points in an endless cycle.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I was talking about the gamers club where you earn points for buying games. I guess I'll be buying more Amazon gift cards in the future.

[quote name='bgame2']Test Drive Unlimited 2 dropped to 6.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bgame2']and Dungeon Siege to 16[/QUOTE]

This is a direct result of the the coupons and sales tomorrow I am sure. They are just getting smarter and trying to slow down the flipping of their own product. Many of the other games are staying steady so far...we will see about tomorrow though.

I think I might go ahead and grab a copy of DS3 while Im up there tomorrow since I have a coupon sitting around and try to sell it on Ebay or something. Then I might grab some Amazon GCs. I dont think Im gonna keep the 5 preorders for the 100 either.

Also might get rid of my LA Noire.

Yeah, hopefully the TiV for my LA Noire will not tank. Getting Catherine for 20ish bucks seems like a good deal to me.

Was planning on trading Shadows of The Damned for 360 on Monday. TIV was steady at $25 for the entire week but already seeing it at $23. Even if it goes down to $20 the bonus would bring it back up $30 which is a buck less than Amazon currently.

[quote name='sgaldis']No, that's always been their policy. If you could earn RZ points on something bought with a gift card, people would just buy gift cards with gift cards and accrue points in an endless cycle.[/QUOTE]
Make a policy of no points on gift card purchases when paying with a gift card, problem solved.

I "earn" my gift cards by trading in games so I get no points coming or going. I'm thinking about shifting my credit to Amazon. They almost always match deals plus they have bonuses.

This may have been asked but does anyone know any good flips from GS to BB? I've got plenty of GS credit but would really like to preorder Batman from BB to get Robin.

EDIT: Found a couple myself just looking on both websites really quick.
GS-Child of Eden New $29.99 Used $26.99. Current BB trade in is $20.
GS-Michael Jackson Experience same price BB trade in is $19.

If you could find either of these used the trade-in would be $30 and $28.50 with the 50% bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back