Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jer7583']At some point it is inevitable that memos start coming down from corporate telling stores to avoid taking stacks of disc only sports games that are obviously from gamestop if they have already taken in a few hundred of them.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully that doesn't become the case, but all good things eventually come to an end. I wouldn't be surprised if more people start to get shot down when they go to trade in their PS2 games.

[quote name='animemaniac14']just a suggestion to those of you trading in, your best buy trade-in guys/gals will love you if you put in a little bit of work and do this for your ps2 disc only games from GS or wherever. Not to mention it will take half the time in-store so you can get on to more flipping! ;)

m8pwdh.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What exactly did you do?

[quote name='Trance Addix']Looks like he attached UPC codes to them? I think that's what he did.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to sound dumb but UPC codes from where? Most old ps2 games aren't on their online trade in thing if that's what you're talking about.

[quote name='KtMack23']Sorry to sound dumb but UPC codes from where? Most old ps2 games aren't on their online trade in thing if that's what you're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Maybe from some other sources? I'm not sure myself.

Not sure how he did it, but any time I needed to find/make a UPC (mostly back when Sears Clearance was super awesome) I'd use

http://www.upcdatabase.com/itemform.asp

Enter in any UPC from Best Buys trade in value site and that will make a UPC image for it (even if it does not recognize the UPC number). Save a copy of the image into Word Pad (or whatever), print and bam! Scannable upc.

[quote name='JediJames2']Not sure how he did it, but any time I needed to find/make a UPC (mostly back when Sears Clearance was super awesome) I'd use

http://www.upcdatabase.com/itemform.asp

Enter in any UPC from Best Buys trade in value site and that will make a UPC image for it (even if it does not recognize the UPC number). Save a copy of the image into Word Pad (or whatever), print and bam! Scannable upc.[/QUOTE]
Considering most of those 99 cent games aren't in their system, and that most people trade 50+ games, that seems ridiculous. I'll just wait longer at BB

The guy at mine was so annoyed yesterday when I had all the disc only games he had to enter in..

"next time you should buy the higher priced games that have cases so it doesn't take so long to enter them in"

was his advice to me.. I don't think he understood how this thing works..

So I have about $140 or so of gamestop credit that I would like to transfer into Amazon gift cards through best buy and was wondering what games would be best? It seems like going for the cheap ps2 games at gamestop with the b2g2 promo is very popular, but are there any other games that when flipped from gamestop turn a profit of some sort?

[quote name='PS3_Moose']So I have about $140 or so of gamestop credit that I would like to transfer into Amazon gift cards through best buy and was wondering what games would be best? It seems like going for the cheap ps2 games at gamestop with the b2g2 promo is very popular, but are there any other games that when flipped from gamestop turn a profit of some sort?[/QUOTE]

... Is it a dick move on my part to just tell these people to take 20 minutes of their time and actually look it up. Honestly it's not that hard to look up GS prices and then look them up on BB online TiV estimator.

[quote name='PS3_Moose']So I have about $140 or so of gamestop credit that I would like to transfer into Amazon gift cards through best buy and was wondering what games would be best? It seems like going for the cheap ps2 games at gamestop with the b2g2 promo is very popular, but are there any other games that when flipped from gamestop turn a profit of some sort?[/QUOTE]
lego star wars 3

[quote name='Ramandur']lego star wars 3[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is. 18 base at Best Buy, 18.99 used at gamestop.

I just wish I had my B2G1 coupon.

[quote name='Abeja']Yeah it is. 18 base at Best Buy, 18.99 used at gamestop.

I just wish I had my B2G1 coupon.[/QUOTE]

A little off topic but yeah, Lego Star Wars 3 (all systems) dropped to 19.99 at Toys R Us, and is eligible for the B1G1 50% off. So it comes out to 32.XX for two.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']... Is it a dick move on my part to just tell these people to take 20 minutes of their time and actually look it up. Honestly it's not that hard to look up GS prices and then look them up on BB online TiV estimator.[/QUOTE]

Nope. In fact, it's suggested and totally appropriate...

[quote name='mgford11']When trading in at bby, what's the process? Go to customer service? Geek squad? I've heard about a kiosk? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Get a preorder slip from the kiosk and tell an employee that you want to trade-in some games. Don't forget to tell them about the 40% bonus for preordering a game.

[quote name='mgford11']When trading in at bby, what's the process? Go to customer service? Geek squad? I've heard about a kiosk? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Just walk in and make sure they sticker the games (showing you walked in with them). They will usually ask trade in or return and then point you in the correct direction. Most BBY have a kiosk in the gaming station now, but some still do it a CS. be prepared with a photo ID, fingerprint scan, blood sample, urine sample and to sign the rights of your firstborn away.

Then follow the above poster's process.

[quote name='crushtopher']$7.00 for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2? Man, that's way less than Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Then go to GS... the reason why is because they know that there will be mass amounts of MW2 coming in soon as MW3 comes out. I assume they are preparing early because there will be tons that trade it in now then grab gears and the following titles until MW3 comes out.

[quote name='jer7583']The guy at mine was so annoyed yesterday when I had all the disc only games he had to enter in..

"next time you should buy the higher priced games that have cases so it doesn't take so long to enter them in"

was his advice to me.. I don't think he understood how this thing works..[/QUOTE]

:lol: I think he fails to apprehend that he got hired to work. Seriously, if I was going to work at BB for some hours anyway, then I rather work. It makes hours go by easier rather than just standing around, talking, and looking dumb.

My Gamestops have been pretty much cleaned thru for .99 ps2 games.......probably half by me, lol..but since I could only scrounge up 20 games today.....including some duplicates and triples, I found out Star Wars The Force Unleashed has a base trade in of $12 and you can buy 2 for $14.99 at Blockbuster right now so......

$14.99 into $31.20 after 30% bonus or $33.60 after 40%....not a bad flip. Plus not as long of a wait. :)

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']My Gamestops have been pretty much cleaned thru for .99 ps2 games.......probably half by me, lol..but since I could only scrounge up 20 games today.....including some duplicates and triples, I found out Star Wars The Force Unleashed has a base trade in of $12 and you can buy 2 for $14.99 at Blockbuster right now so......

$14.99 into $31.20 after 30% bonus or $33.60 after 40%....not a bad flip. Plus not as long of a wait. :)[/QUOTE]

Lol guess you haven't checked the BBV thread over the last week. Many of those games were
Gettin double and even triple your money back.

Anyone happen to have the SKUs for the Amazon Kindle cards? My local store has run out so I wanna check online before I head to any others tomorrow. Thanks!

[quote name='DudeImGodly']Give me about seven days and ill beat that ;)[/QUOTE]

I bet you can :D
If only my BBV had the games I wanted. Ohh well; you win some you lose some
I was able to walk out with about $870 on the 3rd. Wanted to break the $1000 mark lol but didn't have enough games at the time

EDIT: Is it true Gears 3 will have a 50% TIV bonus coming this Sunday?

how many copies of the common ones like madden and nba live and stuff do you think you took in? I tried to keep it to 3 but my wife came with me one trip and did a set of everything as well.

I'm just worried best buy will go back through people's accounts and ban from future trade ins if they see huge numbers of these cheap games that broke the "limit 3 per year" rule. They might not do that at all though.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Lol guess you haven't checked the BBV thread over the last week. Many of those games were
Gettin double and even triple your money back.[/QUOTE]

the ps2 games? if thats what you are referring too then Ive been flipping those for the last few weeks.

[quote name='jer7583']how many copies of the common ones like madden and nba live and stuff do you think you took in? I tried to keep it to 3 but my wife came with me one trip and did a set of everything as well.

I'm just worried best buy will go back through people's accounts and ban from future trade ins if they see huge numbers of these cheap games that broke the "limit 3 per year" rule. They might not do that at all though.[/QUOTE]

I made sure it came out to 3x per game. I triple checked everything.
I did get lucky though at one time. Dead Space 2 had 2 disc for the 360 so the guy though I had 6 copies and was able to input 4x in the comp before realizing it. I didn't know about it at the time because I was away picking up Kindle GCs.
Got lucky today also. I bought in 2x Top Spin 4. The guy inputted 1x Top Spin 4 and 1x Top Spin 3 (TIV: $6; 40%: 2.4; total: $8.4 FREE) and had to input the other one separately.
I love my BB

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Then go to GS... the reason why is because they know that there will be mass amounts of MW2 coming in soon as MW3 comes out. I assume they are preparing early because there will be tons that trade it in now then grab gears and the following titles until MW3 comes out.[/QUOTE]

I did go to Gamestop. I just wanted to point out that BB's trade-in values are pretty shitty when compared to Gamestop and people shouldn't get too excited about this topic. I'm aware of the logic behind trade-in value, but it's still worth noting that GS has better offers.

[quote name='crushtopher']I did go to Gamestop. I just wanted to point out that BB's trade-in values are pretty shitty when compared to Gamestop and people shouldn't get too excited about this topic. I'm aware of the logic behind trade-in value, but it's still worth noting that GS has better offers.[/QUOTE]

I've actually noticed the opposite.. for newer games anyway.

I just traded in Deus Ex for $27 base value (a couple of days ago it was $29). From what I read in the GS forum it was about $23.

I traded in LA Noire for $25 base value a while back, and I'm pretty certain GS didn't match or surpass that TIV either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traded in about 84 PS2 games today at BestBuy went quicker than usual since I printed out UPC for most of the games. Had another guy with PS2 games that came in while I was trading in.
Wondering how many PS2 games BestBuy pulled in from all of our trading in from the last couple of weeks.

You guys are hilarious. I finally found a GS with complete PS2 games and I managed to get FOUR total games (some Madden and other stuff). I feel nervous enough bringing those in to Best Buy and I'm worried I'll end up stuck with them and it only cost me a grand total of $1.78. I guess I'll just be doing the 30% deal since I don't want to preorder on $4+ worth of stuff ;). I may have a few other games to bring in with them though I did clear out some older stuff when I went in today to do the preorder deal.

For one thing, how the hell do you guys find 100+ old PS2 sports discs that are in any kind of tradeable condition? The 4 I got are near total crap, but I thought I'd give it a shot since everyone else is.

And you guys are lucky if they let you show a previous preorder receipt to get 40% on a different trade-in. They make me preorder something every time and there's really nothing I want to preorder at this point (or at least nothing they have in their paltry preorder selection). I ended up preordering the Dr Lautrec 3DS game. For some reason they have that but not the new Professor Layton in the system.

[quote name='iRandom']I bet you can :D
If only my BBV had the games I wanted. Ohh well; you win some you lose some
I was able to walk out with about $870 on the 3rd. Wanted to break the $1000 mark lol but didn't have enough games at the time

EDIT: Is it true Gears 3 will have a 50% TIV bonus coming this Sunday?[/QUOTE]

Yeah tomorrow's visit will be roughly $600

Next one should be around $850

Then the next one should be $1200

Goal is to walk out with $1500+ by the 20th

;)

yah..I'm running out of games to preorder lol.

Already have these preordered at Best Buy:

Gears of War 3
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Batman Arkham City
Elder Scrolls V
Uncharted 3
Rocksmith
Halo Anniversary

And just picked up my preorder of Dead Island.

So I went to a local BB today and asked how many games I could trade in and the guy working there said 5 per title per console. He had another guy working behind him both sounded like they do trade-in's all the time. Does anyone think they are just misinformed or is trading in games in store different then online?

I didn't do the GS to BB flip as badly as others but I helped clean out a fair chunk of 99 cent PS2 games at the closest GS's to me. I noticed the Gamestop's in a mall had FAR more games than a standalone strip mall style one.

Between 3 GS's and 3 BB's, I made about $350 in profit that I put them all on Visa cards because of the Droid BIONIC coming out today and it was the perfect timing for me. I did have a card from trade credit in the past (maybe over $120 or so?) and used a friend's PUR for the games. Felt sorry for the guys but they were cool about it and struck up nice conversations.

The best part at Gamestop was during my second run, I got about 70-75% of games I got in the first run and the GS guy said "This is the longest receipt I've ever printed" and was going to take a picture. So I told him I have an even worse one in my car. Brought in the receipt from my first major haul and I just watched his eyes seemingly glaze over for a moment and he took a picture of both. :lol: :lol:

Ironically the Best Buy guys were happy to take the trades because they admitted it was basically taking a break for upwards of an hour or longer. I decided to stop doing the flipping after 3 major rounds because the last one had 12 that BB wouldn't accept due to disc condition so I went to Gamers, NE/IA region store for old games (Really old even) and received a fair cash value for them in return since I know they use a professional buffer before reselling.

Thanks CAG! Reading this really saved me a ton of money and let me use GS credit that I had no real need to buy anything at GS for months but now I have an awesome new phone (time to sell the VZW iPhone) and a much much happier man.

Out of curiosity, why the hell is HomeFront not popping up on Bestbuy Trade in Estimator? I tried everything "Home" then "Front" then "home front" and finally "homefront". lol weird.

They have a lot of weird little quirks like that in their search system. If you just do a manual search, by console, then search through the alphabetical lists, it should be there. $16, BTW.

[quote name='Jonbo298']I didn't do the GS to BB flip as badly as others but I helped clean out a fair chunk of 99 cent PS2 games at the closest GS's to me. I noticed the Gamestop's in a mall had FAR more games than a standalone strip mall style one.

Between 3 GS's and 3 BB's, I made about $350 in profit that I put them all on Visa cards because of the Droid BIONIC coming out today and it was the perfect timing for me. I did have a card from trade credit in the past (maybe over $120 or so?) and used a friend's PUR for the games. Felt sorry for the guys but they were cool about it and struck up nice conversations.

The best part at Gamestop was during my second run, I got about 70-75% of games I got in the first run and the GS guy said "This is the longest receipt I've ever printed" and was going to take a picture. So I told him I have an even worse one in my car. Brought in the receipt from my first major haul and I just watched his eyes seemingly glaze over for a moment and he took a picture of both. :lol: :lol:

Ironically the Best Buy guys were happy to take the trades because they admitted it was basically taking a break for upwards of an hour or longer. I decided to stop doing the flipping after 3 major rounds because the last one had 12 that BB wouldn't accept due to disc condition so I went to Gamers, NE/IA region store for old games (Really old even) and received a fair cash value for them in return since I know they use a professional buffer before reselling.

Thanks CAG! Reading this really saved me a ton of money and let me use GS credit that I had no real need to buy anything at GS for months but now I have an awesome new phone (time to sell the VZW iPhone) and a much much happier man.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but the DROID Bionic seems just like the Photon 4G, but on a more expensive network, that makes you wait two full years before you upgrade, and costs $200 more on the "subsidized" price.

[quote name='DudeImGodly']No offense, but the DROID Bionic seems just like the Photon 4G, but on a more expensive network, that makes you wait two full years before you upgrade, and costs $200 more on the "subsidized" price.[/QUOTE]

and the Photon 4G is like the Atrix, so what? I get 26% off per month with my corporate discount so it helps on the cost. I get what I pay for and I have no reason to switch. I don't hate Sprint (just at&t). I didn't have to wait 2 full years. Yes, I paid retail but I chose to. I also chose to take advantage of the flipping to help on the cost because I had other things fall into place.

I don't know if you were trying to convince me to switch companies or just put me down (I am aware you said no offense but then you go into this paragraph long negative train....) but it's not going to work. I like the phone. You like yours, if you have a Photon.

Every phone, Every company, Every manufacturer has their own things that people like/dislike. My intention is not to turn this thread into off topic banter over a freaking cell phone(s). All I did was feel like explaining what I did with my profit and thanking the CAG community for letting me get something I wanted.

A little off topic, but can I split the cost of something on different Visa gift cards? Like if I'm buying something that costs $150 and I have a bunch of $50 Visa cards.

[quote name='Jonbo298']and the Photon 4G is like the Atrix, so what? I get 26% off per month with my corporate discount so it helps on the cost. I get what I pay for and I have no reason to switch. I don't hate Sprint (just at&t). I didn't have to wait 2 full years. Yes, I paid retail but I chose to. I also chose to take advantage of the flipping to help on the cost because I had other things fall into place.

I don't know if you were trying to convince me to switch companies or just put me down (I am aware you said no offense but then you go into this paragraph long negative train....) but it's not going to work. I like the phone. You like yours, if you have a Photon.

Every phone, Every company, Every manufacturer has their own things that people like/dislike. My intention is not to turn this thread into off topic banter over a freaking cell phone(s). All I did was feel like explaining what I did with my profit and thanking the CAG community for letting me get something I wanted.[/QUOTE]
Didn't mean to come off as it did. Tried to prove a point.
Congrats on the flipping and the phone, and i do have a Photon and it's pretty awesome.

[quote name='arnoldhead']A little off topic, but can I split the cost of something on different Visa gift cards? Like if I'm buying something that costs $150 and I have a bunch of $50 Visa cards.[/QUOTE]
yes, but depends on the sellers. Some will allow you do that, example Walmart. Others might not. You'd have to ask or check their policy.

[quote name='io']You guys are hilarious. I finally found a GS with complete PS2 games and I managed to get FOUR total games (some Madden and other stuff). I feel nervous enough bringing those in to Best Buy and I'm worried I'll end up stuck with them and it only cost me a grand total of $1.78. I guess I'll just be doing the 30% deal since I don't want to preorder on $4+ worth of stuff ;). I may have a few other games to bring in with them though I did clear out some older stuff when I went in today to do the preorder deal.

For one thing, how the hell do you guys find 100+ old PS2 sports discs that are in any kind of tradeable condition? The 4 I got are near total crap, but I thought I'd give it a shot since everyone else is.

And you guys are lucky if they let you show a previous preorder receipt to get 40% on a different trade-in. They make me preorder something every time and there's really nothing I want to preorder at this point (or at least nothing they have in their paltry preorder selection). I ended up preordering the Dr Lautrec 3DS game. For some reason they have that but not the new Professor Layton in the system.[/QUOTE]

Higher volume gamestop stores have all the below $5 games in drawers behind the counter. A few of the stores I went to simply removed the drawers and let me dig through them. They even printed out a list of all their PS2 inventory so I could see which were at 0.99.

There's loads of awful condition sports games, i would say i was only able to buy 1 in about every 3 copies of madden, nba, ncaa football/basketball, etc. but there were so many of them that I was able to find plenty for best buy.

it helps if you can go in during a weekday around noon or early afternoon, when they're slow and don't care about letting you dig through the drawers.

I should have thought about printing out the UPCs for these games.. actually, if I still had that gamestop inventory list I could have made a printable PDF of all the 99 cent gamestop games' UPCs that people could print and take with them to gamestop. Would have saved a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back